My first cointest

fam.bergum

Selma is the name of a lake serpent in Norway. Other names used are the Seljord Orm and Seljora. The sightings came from the lake (Seljordsvatnet) near the town of Seljord, Telemark. The first sighting was in 1750 by Gunleik Andersson Verpe. He was on a boat in the middle of the lake, where he claimed a serpent attacked and overturned the boat. Many locals have claimed to see Selma and she is now on the coat of arms of the town (since 1986). Descriptions vary, but she seems to be about 5-15 meters long with a head shaped a bit like a horse or elk. The colouration is dark, sometimes with light undersides. Small flippers or feet are often described. Usually the serpent is seen swimming under the surface or moving about on land near the lake.

Various attempts have been made by scientists to find Selma. The main attempts have been by Jan Sundberg and his team (GUST). They have sonar readings of what might be Selma, but have so far failed to catch a serpent or get clear pictures.

In the bar

A bar customer from Norway asked the bartender if he wanted to hear a Swede joke. The bartender pointed to a large man at the end of the bar and said, ``He's Swedish.'' Then the bartender pointed to a burly policeman near the door and repeated, ``He's Swedish.'' The bartender finished, ``Now think about whether you want to tell that joke, because I'm Swedish, too.''

The customer replied, ``I guess I won't tell that joke after all. I'd have to explain it three times.''

Movies

A Norwegian and a Swede were at the movie theatre, and the Norwegian bet that the hero would die during the movie. The Swede didn't believe him, and they ended up betting 100 Kroner on it. When the movie was over and the hero was dead, the Swede began to give the money to the Norwegian, but the Norwegian interrupted him "I already saw the movie, so I knew he was going to die. Keep the money." The Swede replied, "oh, I also saw the movie before, but I didn't think he would be tricked twice."

Hanging

A Swede, a Norwegian and a Dane were arrested in France during the French revolution. They each got to choose which way they would die. The Norwegian chose the guillotine, because he saw it as the latest fashion. His head went under, but the blade stopped 1 inch from his neck. The French saw this as a sign from God or something and decided to let him go. The same thing happened to the Dane. Then they asked the Swede how he wanted to die. "I think I'll die by hanging, that guillotine doesn't work anyway," he said.

Bus ride

There was this group of people on a tour-bus. The guide on the bus asked if anyone on the bus could tell the rest a joke, whereupon a Norwegian got up and said that he could tell a Swedish joke. Suddenly a woman in the back of the bus said, "No, don't do that. I'm Swedish." The guide looked at her and said, "Oh, that's okay. We'll explain it to you afterwards."

Norway is the only country in northern Europe with wooden churches from the Middle Ages still intact.

432e1f72-a83d-4ec2-b3ec-92f0ce00c16b.jpg

However that photo is actually from Minot, Dakota and from my waymark Gol Stave Church Museum - Minot, North Dakota WM2MQZ And it the replica only dates to 2000.

Yep, it is. I was just trying to find a photo of a stave church so people could see what one was and I thought it was cool that it was also a waymark. I hope no offense was taken as I was just trying to share.

Edited by surteb

Symbols of Norway: Milk

Milk symbolises health, the honest work on the land, the beauty of the Norwegian scenery and -- not least -- pure whiteness. In this latter respect, milk holds a position comparable to snow, and it goes without saying that an urban-minded no-nonsense capitalist like Per Hatling must fight in vain against a national totem of this magnitude.

The Oseberg ship is a well-preserved Viking ship discovered in a large burial mound at the Oseberg farm near Tønsberg in Vestfold county, Norway. The burial mound contained numerous grave goods and two female human skeletons. The internment of the ship into the burial mound is from 834 but parts of the ship date from around AD 800 but the ship itself is thought to be older.

It was excavated by Swedish archaeologist Gabriel Gustafson, and Norwegian archaeologist Haakon Shetelig in 1904-1905. This ship is widely celebrated and has been called one of the finest finds to have survived the Viking Age. The ship and some of its contents are displayed at the Viking Ship Museum, Bygdøy, Oslo.

The Norwegian Forest Cat is an ancient breed of cat, having changed little from it's origins in Norway. Over numerous centuries, the Norwegian Forest cat has evolved and adapted to survive in the sometimes hostile Scandinavian climate. During the winter it develops a dense undercoat to protect it from the cold, which supplements its long, often flowing, overcoat (called 'Guard hairs') that is course in texture and water repellent to further protect from the elements. It is a strong, muscular, heavily built cat, ideally suited to hunting in the wilderness and became a favourite as a farm cat in Norway (as you travel through Norway today, you will still see many a forest cat patrolling it's farmhouse territory). The NFO is also unique in the cat world since it will often been seen climb down headfirst. It's strength and agility is also well suited to climbing any surface, including a sheer rock face! It's Lynx ear tips, ear tufts, snowshoes (tufts of fur on the underside of the paws) and large size have been know to lead the NFO to be mistaken for a Lynx (although, in reality, it is MUCH smaller).

The NFO can authoritatively be traced back to the 1500s, but it's history is much longer than this. There are many references to large cats in Norse mythology, with descriptions that can only describe the NFO. These myths were developed from the storytelling and songs of great feats that were recounted around the 7th, 8th and 9th centuries).

By the 20th century however, this magnificent cat was becoming a rarity and at risk of becoming extinct. During the mid 1930s, the Norwegians began to make plans to ensure the future of their national cat, and a few NFOs even appeared at cat shows during this time. Unfortunately, the outbreak of hostilities in Europe, in the form of WWII, put a stop to these activities, and the Norwegian Forest Cat once again became largely forgotten. It was not until the 1970s that the Norwegians once again recognised the risk to one of their national treasures, and once again a move was made to protect the NFO and a special breeding program was instigated. After much hard work in Norway, the Norwegian Forest cat was finally recognised as a distinct pedigree cat in 1977. Since then the breed has gone from strength to strength and is now extremely popular in many countries, particularly Scandinavia, where as many as 200 Norwegian Forest Cats can be seen at a cat show, often making it the largest single breed represented.

COINTEST IS OVER!!

Thank you all for the response, I would newer thought that so many would participate in the cointest. Thanks!!!!!

I actually learned a lot myself.......

Random Integer Generator

Here are your random numbers:

Timestamp: 2008-06-07 21:32:28 UTC

Congrats to RedShoesGirl, You are the lucky winner of the Gecko98 coin.

Geo.Error won the main price..

GATOULIS put so mutch work in to this, i think you deserve a Gecko98 to,

Winners: Send me your adresses and the coins will be on their way this week.

Regards

fam.bergum

Yep, it is. I was just trying to find a photo of a stave church so people could see what one was and I thought it was cool that it was also a waymark. I hope no offense was taken as I was just trying to share.

No offense just didn't want people to think that particular photo was in as old as the middle ages or was actually in Norway. It is a beautiful replica.

Thank you Fam.bergum for the cointest. It was very interesting to learn so much about Norway and I loved the jokes and the stories :blink:

And congratulations to RedShoesGirl, Geo.Error and to GATOULIS, who I think we can all agree, put a lot of effort into the cointest. :D:D:P

Thank you Fam.bergum for the cointest. It was very interesting to learn so much about Norway and I loved the jokes and the stories :blink:

And congratulations to RedShoesGirl, Geo.Error and to GATOULIS, who I think we can all agree, put a lot of effort into the cointest. :D:P:D

Ditto to all of the above!! B):D

WWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

:blink: Wow, i have won your beautiful coin, it is a big suprise and you have make me very happy :D

I can show my family now also something beautiful from your country and i can tell them story's about your country, story's who i have learned from your cointest :P

:D Congrats also to Redshoesgirl and Gatoulis B)

:D Fam Bergum thanks for this great cointest, it was a lot of fun to participate :D

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT

Good morning / afternoon to all!

WOW! I won a gecko coin??? Oh!! Thank you!! That is so generous!!! :blink:

Congratulations to the winners, Geo.error and redshoesgirl!:D

I really learned a lot of things about Norway!!! while I was searching, I found the beautiful photos I posted! WOW!!!!! What a beautiful country!!!

Of course, I learned and some strange things too! You need license to have a TV??? and you are paying 400$ per year???? Hmm....I suppose itis difficult to have more than 1 TV in you home! and iti s the same with VCR, DVD....?????????

Do you need license for a PC too? I am asking becasue a PC can be a DVD player, a Radio, a TV (I think).... It is a quite crazy law!

Thank you for this cointest my friend!!!! :P

I will send you an email right away!!! :D

Look what i found in my mailbox tuesday

noorwegen.gif

Here some photo's from my parents who were on holiday in Norway

StaafkerkinRoldal.jpg

Staafchurch in Roldal

InterieurStaafkerk.jpg

The Staafchurch in side

Latefossen_1.jpg

Latefossen

Prekestol.jpg