My first cointest

fam.bergum

I will post this and....

King Harald and Queen Sonja spent NOK 5.4 million (more than USD 1 million at current exchange rates) to celebrate their 70th birthdays last year. That contributed to an annual deficit on the royal accounts!!!!

Hey! Happy birthday!!! since there was not a cake for me, just send me some money too!!! :) There are some geocoins I want to buy... :mad:

Ok, to be serious about this....they spend all that money for their birthday???? People are hungry in other countries!!!

I am sorry my friend, for what I wrote about the Norwegian royal family, but... I hope you understand!

Can you tell me where you can see the aurora coin, I would really like to see that one :mad:

I think it was the MnGCA 2007 coin. I have it somewhere in my collection.

when does the cointest end?

hmm,

Lets end it at June 7th 23:00 local Norway time :)

Thank you, I found a pic on the net, it looks great :o, even though it´s from Minnesota and not Norway :)

MnGCA2007horz.jpg

But I know there is a Norway one existing, too (Just to make this entry count) :(

2925009610042153274DEpmPW_th.jpg

Edit, because I forgot the link of the pic

Edited by Tschakko

Can you tell me where you can see the aurora coin, I would really like to see that one :mad:

I think it was the MnGCA 2007 coin. I have it somewhere in my collection.

when does the cointest end?

hmm,

Lets end it at June 7th 23:00 local Norway time :)

Thank you, I found a pic on the net, it looks great :o, even though it´s from Minnesota and not Norway :)

MnGCA2007horz.jpg

But I know there is a Norway one existing, too (Just to make this entry count) :(

2925009610042153274DEpmPW_th.jpg

Edit, because I forgot the link of the pic

There exists a Norway 2007, and a Norway 2008.

Northern Norway is known to tourists as the «Land of the Midnight Sun». North of the Arctic Circle, the sun does not set between the middle of May and end of July; conversely the sun does not rise between the middle of November and the end of January.

Yes, this is the theme for my next "Norwegian Attractions" coin....

WOW!!!! That's news!!!! :) Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I think escimos are afraid of it!!! They believe it is a bad sign or something like that! Am I correct?

Here in Greece, we call this (of course we do not have it!!), Βόρειο Σέλλας (Northern Sellas)! I do not know if there is a translation to the word Sellas! :)

I think the translation is pollar lights!

Norwegians make jokes about swedes_

Vet du hvordan du kan se om en svenske har brukt PCen din?

Svar: Det er korrekturlakk på skjermen din...

Do you know how you can tell if a Swede has used your PC?

Answer: There’s white-out on your screen.

Vet du hvorfor svenskene ikke spiser kaviar?

Svar: Fordi de ikke får hodet inn i tuben...

Do you know why Swedes don’t eat caviar?

Answer: Because they can’t get their heads in the tube.

. Vet du hvorfor svenskene alltid har en tom brusflaske i kjøleskapet?

Svar: I tilfelle det kommer noen på besøk som ikke er tørste...

Do you know why Swedes always have an empty pop-can in the refrigerator?

Answer: In case someone who isn’t thirsty comes to visit…

Så var det svensken som samlet på utgåtte lyspærer fordi han skulle innrede et mørkerom.

Then there was the Swede who collected burnt-out light bulbs to put in the his dark-room.

Vet du hvorfor svensken stiller seg foran vinduet når det lyner?

Svar: Han tror han blir tatt bilde av.

Do you know why a Swede stands in front of the window when there’s lightening?

Answer: He thinks he’s getting his picture taken.

Vet du hvordan du får en enarmet svenske ned fra ei flaggstang?

Svar: Du vinker til ham...

Do you know how you get a one-armed Swede down from a flagpole?

Answer: You wave at him…

Det var en gang to svensker som skulle måle hvor høy en flaggstang var, men så visste de ikke hvordan de skulle gjøre det.

Akkurat da kom det en norske forbi. Han sa:

"Den letteste måten er å hogge ned flaggstanga og måle den etterpå."

Da norsken hadde gått sa den ene svensken:

"For en idiot! Det er jo ikke lengden vi skal måle. Det er høyden...!"

One time there were two Swedes who wanted to measure how tall a flagpole was, but they didn’t know how to do it.

Just then, a Norwegian came by. He said:

“The easiest way is to cut down the flagpole and measure it afterwards.”

When the Norwegian had left, the one Swede said:

“What an idiot! It’s not the length we want to measure. It’s the height..!”

En svenske var på pizzarestaurant:

"Skal jeg dele pizzaen i fire eller åtte stykker", spurte servitøren.

"Bare i fire takk", svarte svensken. "Jeg tror ikke jeg orker åtte."

A Swede was at a pizza restaurant.

“Shall I divide the pizza in four or eight pieces?” asked the server.

“Just four, thanks,” answered the Swede, “I don’t think I can eat eight.”

I LOVE those jokes. Put a big old grin on my face :):mad::o

Edited by nashuan

Roald Engelbregt Gravning Amundsen (July 16 1872 - June 18 1928), was a Norwegian explorer of polar regions. He led the first Antarctic expedition to the South Pole between 1910 and 1912. He was also the first person to reach both the North and South Poles. He is known as the first to traverse the Northwest Passage. He disappeared in June 1928 while taking part in a rescue mission. With Douglas Mawson, Robert Falcon Scott, and Ernest Shackleton, Amundsen was a key expedition leader during the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration.

It is obligatory for all vehicles to drive with dipped headlights at all times, even on the brightest summer day.

I like this one. The rule here is that you have to have your headlights on when you are using your windshield wipers. Of course, not everyone does this.

Sports....

Norway Cup - the world's largest soccer tournament

The Norwegian national ice hockey team (or Team Norway) is the national ice hockey team from Norway that participates at the IIHF World Championships for both men and women. The teams are governed by the Norwegian Ice Hockey Federation.

Norway is the only country in northern Europe with wooden churches from the Middle Ages still intact.

432e1f72-a83d-4ec2-b3ec-92f0ce00c16b.jpg

oh my gosh, what an amazing structure! thanks for sharing the image.

rsg

Seeing it is my photo from my waymark I will respond with your welcome.

;):):)

Engelsk NORWEGIAN

Norsk

Hello Hallo

Hi Hei

Do you speak Norwegian? Snakker du norsk?.

Do you speak English? Snakker du engelsk?

My name is Ann. Mitt navn er Ann.

What is your name? Hva er navnet ditt?/Hva heter du?

What is your last name? Hva er etternavnet ditt?

My last name is Jones. Mitt etternavn er Jones.

Good morning. God morgen.

Good day God dag

Good evening God kveld

Good night God natt

Happy Birthday Glatulerer med dagen

Merry Christmas God Jul

Happy New Year Godt Nyttår

Happy Easter God Påske

How are you? Hvordan har du det?

Thank you, I am fine. Takk, jeg har det bra.

Thank you for your kindness. Takk forat du er så snill.

Please Vær så snill

Would you be so kind as to help me? Vil du være så snill å hjelpe meg?

Would you be so kind as to show me the direction to the library? Vil du være så snill å vise meg veien til bibioloteket?.

My pleasure. Ingen årsak

Thank you for visiting my web site. Takk forat du besøker nettstedet mitt.

Do you have a web site? Har du et nettsted?

Would you like to make your own web site? Har du lyst å lage ditt eget nettsted?

I made my website myself and it is easy. Jeg laget mit nettsted selv og det var lett.

Yes Ja

If your answer is yes, click on the SBI link at the end of this page. Hvis svaret ditt er ja, klikk på SBI linken pa slutten av denne siden.

No Nei

OPS! (Not found in the dictionary) Uffda!/Uff! (Finnes ikke i ordboka)

Do you find English to Norwegian translations greetings and phrases helpful? Synes du at engelsk til norsk oversettelser hilsen og uttrykk er nyttige/hjelpsomme?

Welcome to our home. Velkommen til heimen vår.

You have a nice home. Du har en fin heim.

How do you like our country? Hvordan liker du landet vårt?

Do you like this city? Liker du denne byen?

Yes, I like this city. Ja, jeg liker denne byen.

I like it here. Jeg trives her.

Do you like Norwegian food? Liker du norsk mat?

Yes, thank you, I like Norwegian food. Ja takk, jeg liker norsk mat.

Are you hungry? Er du sulten?

Yes thank you, I am hungry. Ja takk, jeg er sulten.

No thank you, I am not hungry. Nei takk, jeg er ikke sulten.

Yes, I would like to have breakfast early. Ja, jeg vil gjerne ha frokost tidlig.

I would like to eat lunch later. Jeg vil gjerne spise lunch seinere

I would like to eat dinner here. Jeg vil gjerne spise middag here.

Would you like dessert now? Vil du ha dessert nå?

Yes, thank you, I would like dessert. Ja takk, jeg vil ha dessert.

The food is delicious. Maten er deilig.

The dinner is delicious. Middagen er deilig.

You are a good cook/chef. Du er en god kokk (male) kokke (female)

Thank you for the meal. Takk for måltidet.

Thank you for the food. Takk for mat/Takk for maten. (Both are correct.)

Thank you. Takk skal du ha.

Thanks. Takk så mye.

Thank you so much. Thousand thanks Tusen takk skal du (singular)/dere (plural) ha.

(Tusen: thousand)

Many thanks Mange Takk

Welcome to our home. Velkommen til vårt hjem.

You are welcome. Du er velkommen.

You are welcome. Vær så god.

You are welcome. Du er vel unnt/velbekomme

We will eat breakfast in the kitchen. Vi vil spise frokost på kjøkkenet.

Where is the kitchen? Hvor er kjøkkenet?

Here is the dining room. Her er spisestuen.

There is the living room. Der er stuen/dagligstuen.

English to Norwegian Translations Greetings and Phrases Engelsk til norsk oversettelser hilsen og uttrykk

Here is our family room. Her er dagligstuen vår.

Where are the bedrooms? Hvor er soveværelsene?

Where is my bedroom? Hvor er soverommet mitt?

Where is the restroom? Hvor er toalettet? (Commonly called WC, short for water closet.)

Where is the entrance? Hvor er entreen?

Where is the living room? Hvor er stuen?

Where are the stairs to the basement? Hvor er trappen til kjelleren?

Where are the stairs to the second floor Hvor er trappen til andre etasje?

Where is the mailbox? Hvor er postboksen?

Where is the post office? Hvor er postkontoret?

Have you learned some Norwegian by reading English to Norwegian translations

greetings and phrases. Har du lært noe norsk med a lese engelsk til norsk oversettelser

hilsen og uttrykk?

How many children do you have? Hvor mange barn har dere?

We have two children. Vi har to barn.

We have a boy and a girl. Vi har en gutt og en pike/ei jente.

What are the names of your children? Hva heter barna dine?

Their names are John and Judith. De heter John og Judith.

Where were you born? Hvor var du født?

I am born in Norway Jeg er født i norge

Where are you from? Hvor er du fra?

I am from Norway? Jeg er fra norge.

Excuse me. Unnskyld meg.

Excuse me. Jeg beklager.

Pardon me. Om forlatelse.

I am sorry Unnskyld meg.

Please. Vær så snill.

Please, forgive me. Vær så snill å tilgi meg.

Would you please help me? Vil du være så snill å hjelpe meg?

Would you please help me as soon as possible? Vil du være så snill å hjelpe meg snarest mulig?

I need assistance/help now. Jeg trenger hjelp/Jeg trenger øyeblikkelig hjelp.

I need help right now. Jeg trenger hjelp med en gang.

Where is the hospital? Hvor er sykehuset?

I need a doctor. Jeg trenger en doktor.

I am ill. Jeg er syk.

How can I get a taxi? Hvordan kan jeg få tak i en drosje/taxi?

Please take me to the hospital. Vær sa snill a kjør meg til sykehuset.

Thank you for the help. Takk for hjelpen.

Thank you for your help. Takk forat du hjelpte meg.

This is almost the end of English to Norwegian translations greetings and phrases. Dette er nesten slutten på engelsk til norsk oversettelser hilsen og uttrykk.

Good bye Adjø

See you again soon. På gjensyn snart.

See you later. Ser deg seinere.

This is finally the end of English to Norwegian Translations Greetings and Phrases Dette er endelig slutten på engelsk til norsk oversettelser hilsen og uttrykk.

Hope to see you again Håper å se deg igjen

:(:):)

:( This looks very yummy :)

Rice-cream-riskrem.jpg

Rice Cream with Raspberry sauce

is a Norwegian tradition.

It is a dessert served with Raspberry Sauce (bringebær saus. It is creamy with texture and soooo delicious; it's so good I can hardly describe it. You just have to try it.

When you go to Norway , be sure you ask for Riskrem med Rød Saus.

Everybody will know what you mean.

First you have to make a Rice Pudding that we Norwegians call...

Risengrynsgrøt.

Ingredients:

1 cup white rice of choice

2 cups water

1/2- teaspoon salt

Bring water to a boil and add rice and salt according to directions.Bring up to a boil again and turn heat to simmer.Cover with lid.

When rice is soft and all the water is absorbed add milk and stir until you have a creamy consistency. This will take a while.

It is important the rice has finished expanding and all the milk has been absorbed. You want a creamy-pudding-like substance. Rice will keep getting thick as it chills. So be sure you add enough milk while it is still simmering and keep stirring to prevent it from burning.

Once the pudding is creamy and soft. Let cool completely and place in refrigerator.

Raspberry Sauce

(Bringebær Saus in Norwegian)

Frozen or fresh raspberries

A few drops red food coloring

Sugar

Cornstarch or potato flour for thickening.

Water

Pour water into pan and bring to a boil.

Turn heat down to simmer.

Add raspberries to pan - bring to a boil and stir.

Place 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato flour in 1/2-cup cold water and stir

Add this mixture gradually while stirring constantly.

Boil for 5 minutes while stirring.

Chill sauce while stirring to prevent a skin to form on top.

Here is how to make...

Rice Cream

Heavy whipping cream

Vanilla sugar or vanilla flavoring

Sugar to taste

Whip heavy cream until it peaks. If you stir too much you will make butter.

Place a few ladles of rice pudding into large bowl.Gradually fold in whipped cream. Carefully blend whip cream and rice pudding until you have a light, fluffy and creamy consistency.

Add vanilla sugar to taste (Liquid vanilla flavoring is not ideal, but can be used.

In Norway you can buy bags of ready-to-make, raspberry sauce (Rød Saus), which is delicious and easy to make. I always bring tons of packets with me when I come back from Norway.

For serving, I use an attractive, large glass bowl for the Rice Cream and a glass glass pitcher for the Raspberry Sauce and my guests serve themselves.

The King and Queen of Norway

norge.jpg

The King of Norway and His Royal Family are honored and loved by the Norwegians.

They visit small towns as well as the big cities, constantly keeping in touch with the people.

It not uncommon to see the royal couple being out for a walk in the park or on skis on the slopes.

Also, the royal family of Norway travel all around the world, representing their country and supporting many worthy causes.

"To be king is not a job, but an existence", said His Majesty King Harald while the relaxed royal couple met with journalists from many Nordic countries.

My parents came back this week from the holiday in norway and my parents in law go today for the second time on holiday in norway.

:( for 6 weeks.

Both love you're country :) , the only bad thing is that your beer is so expensive, and yes my father in law needs beer because today start the european soccer. ;)

So he has put his caravan ful of beer because want the netherlands win a game , you most can give a beer away to celebrate. :)

Norway

Kirkenes Snow Hotel

Kirkenes Snow Hotel is situated in the eastmost town of Norway, close to the Norwegian-Russian border. The hotel had its first season during winter 2006/2007. This year the hotel has 20 rooms and the largest snow dome in Norway (8 meter high and 12 meter in diameter). All the rooms are individually decorated by the ice artists from Finland and Japan. The west Snow Hall is decorated by a local sculpture Arild Wara. A night in a snow hotel is combined with a special dinner prepared on an open fire, the visitors can also get hot sauna before or after staying at the hotel. There is also a reindeer park and a husky farm in the hotel area.

Ice Lodge

The Ice Lodge is one of the largest in Norway and part of the Bjorligard Hotel. It has a longer season than most ice hotels because of its altitude (1,250 meters above sea level).

Alta Igloo Hotel

The Alta Igloo ice hotel has been rebuilt yearly since 2000. It is Europe’s northernmost ice hotel, as it is located in the Finnmark region and is approximately 250km from North Cape. The 2000 square metre hotel has 30 rooms, including 2 suites and it is decorated with numerous ice sculptures and ice furnishings, including lighting systems which enhance the different types of crystalline formations. Besides the bedrooms the hotel also contains an ice chapel, ice gallery and ice bar where drinks are served in glasses made of ice. The Alta Igloo Hotel has a changing theme every year. In 2004, it was a Viking theme, in 2005, Norwegian fairytales, and in 2006, the theme was wild animals of the region. The guests use sleeping bags that sit on top of reindeer hides.

Sweden_Ice_Hotel_5.jpg

bags of candy:

smørbukk (lit. butter ram) - semi-hard caramels

laban seigmenn (lit. "laban" chewy men) - small chewy jelly men in different colours/flavours coated in sugar

lakrisbåter (liquorice boats) - boat-shaped chewy liquorice candy. not as salty as other norwegian types in the same category.

chocolate:

freia melkesjokolade (freia brand milk chocolate) - the most famous milk chocolate in norway. quality beats hershey's, cadbury's and other famous brands by a mile

mandelstang (almond bar) - core of mildly minty substance coated with chocolate and crushed almonds

gullbrød (lit. golden bread) - bar of marzipan covered in dark chocolate

troika - three layers of nougat, jelly and marzipan covered in dark chocolate

A Gift From Norway.....The Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree

The huge tree has been an annual gift from Norway since 1947 in gratitude for Britain's support in World War II.

The tree itself, a Norwegian spruce (Picea abies), is chosen with great care. Selected from the forests surrounding Oslo, it is normally earmarked for its pride of place in London’s Trafalgar Square several months, even years, in advance. The Norwegian foresters who look after it describe it fondly as 'the queen of the forest'.

The tree is cut down one day in November during a ceremony in which the Lord Mayor of Westminster, the British ambassador to Norway and the Mayor of Oslo take active part. Most years, the first snow will have just fallen to brighten the otherwise dark forest. Local and international schoolchildren sing Christmas carols and the city authorities serve 'forest coffee' and sandwiches.

In addition to Oslo's tree to London, the city of Bergen gives a tree to Newcastle, and Sunderland receives one from Stavanger.

Rolf Jacobsen (1907-1994)

Norwegian poet and journalist. Jacobsen's career as a writer spanned more than fifty years. He is one of Scandinavia’s most distinguished poets, who launched poetic modernism in Norway with his first book, Jord og jern (1933). Jacobsen's work has been translated into over twenty languages. Central theme in his work was the balance between nature and technology - he was called "the Green Poet" in Norwegian literature.

Sand

There is a precise total for all the grains of sand on earth,

as well as for the starry worlds above our heads

(supposedly the same for each), if only we knew it,

but it’s more important to know that the grains of sand

grow constantly in number and the deserts are getting bigger.

A touch

of violet has mixed itself into the pink of sunset.

Sand is white as milk and soft

as a bowing of violins.

Sand kisses your foot

and trickles over your palms like clean water.

At Bir el Daharrem hills and valleys are made of bronze.

At Thebes and Asmara dead cities lie under the sand.

Sand is crushed mountains and the ashes of everything that has

existed.

The sand dunes cross hot countries like stripes of fire.

Sand covers the planets. Moonbeams are reflections in sand.

Sand is the last thing on earth.

Time sleeping.

Guardian Angel

I am the bird that knocks at your window in the morning

and your companion, whom you cannot know,

the blossoms that light up for the blind.

I am the glacier’s crest above the forests, the dazzling one

and the brass voices from cathedral towers.

The thought that suddenly comes over you at midday

and fills you with a singular happiness.

I am one you have loved long ago.

I walk alongside you by day and look intently at you

and put my mouth on your heart

but you don’t know it.

I am your third arm and your second

shadow, the white one,

whom you don’t have the heart for

and who cannot ever forget you.

norwlr.jpg

Norwegian Landrace is the leading breed of swine in Norway. Since swine are not as numerous in Norway as in most countries that have a registered strain, the number registered each year is limited. Norwegian Landrace, as well as most of the swine in Norway, are raised in the southern part of the country. Most are found in the area of Hamar. They are white in color and have a heavy drooped ear.

The breed originated from importations of Landrace from other countries having the breed. There was then special selection to give the blend of introduced strains a unique adaptation to the environment of Southern Norway.

The major aid in this selection has been the breed testing done in a special swine station. In the boar testing station, 2300 boars are tested annually. 2700 siblings are also tested on station. In addition, boars and gilts are tested on farm. The best performing pigs that are sound provide the main source of brood stock for breed improvement. Artificial insemination plays a great part in spreading the influence of superior boars. It is estimated that 90% of the sows are bred by AI.

Proof that the Norwegian Landrace has found favor in other countries is apparent because breeding stock has been in demand for exportation. Exports have been made, to England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, France, Sweden, Denmark, Canada, Poland, and Czechoslovakia. These countries all have a reputation for producing high class pork products and most have a strain or breed of Landrace of their own. This indicates the importing countries felt there was suff icient merit in the gene pool of the Norwegian Landrace to justify securing some of that stock to broaden the genetic base of their swine.

Thor Heyerdahl (October 6, 1914 Larvik, Norway – April 18, 2002 Colla Micheri, Italy) was a Norwegian ethnographer and adventurer with a scientific background in zoology and geography. Heyerdahl became famous for his Kon-Tiki expedition, in which he sailed 4,300 miles (8,000 km) by raft from South America to the Tuamotu Islands.

puppysweeps.jpg

The Norwegian Elkhound is one of the ancient Northern Spitz-type breed of dog and is the National Dog of Norway. The Elkhound has served as a hunter, guardian, herder, and defender. In a land of subzero temperatures, deep snow, thick forests, and rugged mountains, only the hardiest of the breeds could evolve to perform the variety of jobs at which the Elkhound excels. Its Spitz courage is probably a by-product or residue of the fact that a significant number of them were used to hunt bear and other large game, like moose. The Norwegian Elkhound was first presented at a dog exhibition in Norway in 1877.

The AKC breed name "Norwegian Elkhound" is a direct translation from its original Norwegian name "Norsk Elghund," meaning "Norwegian moose dog." (European settlers mistakenly called the North American cousin of the red deer an elk, when in fact in the Norwegian language the term elk or elg means moose.) Despite its name in America, it is not a hound dog; the Elkhound does not hunt like a hound dog nor is it directly related to hounds. The breed's goal in the hunt is to hold the moose at bay — jumping in and out toward the moose — until the hunter can arrive to shoot it.

The Rock carvings at Møllerstufossen in Nord-Sinni in Nordre Land municipality in Oppland county of Norway comprise of several carvings of mosse and one other animal. The site covers about 20 m². The largest figure measures about 90 cm across. The figures are carved with deep and wide strokes and are easy to spot.

P.S.

That Elkhound puppy is soooo cute!

REDORBIT NEWS

Enormous 'Sea Monster' Fossil Found in Norway

Scientists from the University of Oslo announced their discovery of a fossilized, 150 million-year-old “sea monster” on Spitspergen, in the Arctic island chain of Svalbard.

The 50 ft. sea reptile, nicknamed “The Monster”, is the biggest on record, and is one of 40 such fossils discovered on the island. A prior field expedition in the area revealed remains of another large pliosaur that is thought to be among the same species as “The Monster”.

Dr. Jorn Hurum, the expedition’s director, said the new Svalbard fossil is 20% larger than the previous biggest marine reptile, a massive pliosaur from Australia named Kronosaurus.

"We have carried out a search of the literature, so we now know that we have the biggest [pliosaur]. It's not just arm-waving anymore," Dr Hurum told BBC News.

Pliosaurs were a short-necked, teardrop-shaped form of plesiosaur, extinct reptiles that lived in oceans during the age of the dinosaurs. The pliosaurs had two sets of powerful flippers they used to push themselves through water.

"These animals were awesomely powerful predators," said paleontologist Richard Forrest in a BBC News report.

"If you compare the skull of a large pliosaur to a crocodile, it is very clear it is much better built for biting... by comparison with a crocodile, you have something like three or four times the cross-sectional space for muscles. So you have much bigger, more powerful muscles and huge, robust jaws. A large pliosaur was big enough to pick up a small car in its jaws and bite it in half," he explained.

"The flipper is 3 meters long with very few parts missing. On Monday, we assembled all the bones in our basement and we amazed ourselves - we had never seen it together before," he said.

The fossilized “Sea Monster” was excavated in August 2007. Researchers had to remove hundreds of tons of rock by hand, enduring perilous conditions such as high winds, fog, rain, freezing temperatures and under constant threat of attack by polar bears.

The team was able to recover the animal's snout, some teeth, the shoulder girdle, much of the neck and back, and a nearly complete flipper. Regrettably, a small river running through where the head lay had washed away much of the skull.

A preliminary analysis of the bones suggested the animal was of a previously unknown species.

The Reptile has been taken to the Natural History Museum in Oslo.

The researchers plan to return to Svalbard later this year to excavate the new pliosaur. A few pieces of skull, some broken teeth and vertebrae from this second large specimen are already exposed and the researchers believe much more may be waiting to be excavated.

"It's a large one, and has the same bone structure as the previous one we found," said Oslo Natural History Museum’s Espen Knutsen, who is studying the fossils.

Dr. Hurum and his colleagues have now identified a total of 40 marine reptiles from Svalbard, including many long-necked plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs in addition to the two pliosaurs. Long-necked plesiosaurs are said to resemble Scotland's legendary Loch Ness monster, while Ichthyosaurs resemble modern dolphins but with upright tail fins.

Richard Forrest told BBC News, "Here in Svalbard you have 40 specimens just lying around, which is like nothing we know.

"Even in classic fossil exposures such as you have in Dorset [in England], there are cliffs eroding over many years and every so often something pops up. But we haven't had 40 such finds from Dorset in 200 years."

The fossils were found in black shale rock, a fine-grained sedimentary rock. The researchers believe the animals sank to the bottom of a cold, shallow sea after they died, and then became covered by mud.

Dr. Hurum said the oxygen-free, alkaline chemistry of the mud could explain the fossils' remarkable preservation.

The discovery of another large pliosaur dubbed the “Monster of Aramberri” was announced in 2002, named after the site in north-eastern Mexico where it was discovered. The reptile could be just as large as the Svalbard specimen, according to the discovery team. However paleontologists told BBC News a much more detailed analysis of these fossils was required before a true picture of its size could be obtained.

---

On the Net:

University of Oslo Natural History Museum

There is a lot of snow in Norway every winter. So it is natural to go skiing in the mountains. Norwegians used skis as far back as 4000 years ago. Skis were the only practical means of getting from one place to another during winter time.

A well known Norwegian story of the Birkebeiners (Birchlegs) was that a man in 1296 saved the Norwegian prince Haakon Haakonsen, (who later became a student at our school, by the way.) He carried the baby 55 kilometres on skis. This route has now become a cross country track, and 6000 people join this race every year.

The father of Norwegian skiing in modern time is Sondre Norheim. He designed a «wasted» ski, the Telemark ski. He combined ordinary skiing with jumping and slalom. Very few people know that the international word slalom is a Norwegian word from Morgedal, where Sondre Norheim came from. The first modern Norwegian skis were brought to the USA by emigrants who crossed the Atlantic Ocean as early as in 1825. Skiing is a favourite sport among most people in Norway, and you can see people from two up to ninety years go skiing. There are also a lot of skiing instruction schools in Norway.

The town Trondheim, arranged the World Championship in Nordic events in 1996. A Japanese won the ski jumping event. The competitions brought people from the whole world to the city.

The Sophie Prize is an international award (US $ 100,000), for environment and sustainable development, awarded annually. The Sophie Prize is established to inspire people working towards a sustainable future. The Prize was established in 1997 by the Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder and his wife Siri Dannevig.

Voluntary organisations, independent research institutions and individual’s worldwide, with knowledge or interest in environment and/or sustainable development or other closely related topics, can nominate candidates for the Sophie Prize.

The Sophie Prize is awarded to one or several persons, or an organisation, which has created awareness of alternatives to modern-day development and/or initiated such alternatives in a pioneering or particularly inventive manner.

Handball

Handball is one of the most popular sports in Norway. One of the best Norwegian clubs is Byaasen from Trondheim. They have several teams, one for each age group. Everybody from young boys and girls aged 6, to older men and women over 50 have a lot to choose from. The clubs play matches over the week-ends, so the sports arenas are full of supporters from early Saturday to late Sunday. Norwegian men's teams sometimes play great against some of the top European clubs, but it is particularly the women's team that has had an international impact on handball. They won the European championship. This may be the reason why girls mostely play handball, while boys stick to sports like football and basketball.

And the author....

Jostein Gaarder

b. 1952 Oslo, Norway

A former philosophy teacher whose best-known novel, Sophie's World, was a surprise international best-seller, Jostein Gaarder is one of the most popular of contemporary Scandinavian authors. With over 20 million copies of Sophie in print and with an entire industry having sprung up around that one book -- there's a movie, a musical, a boardgame, even a CD-ROM based on the book -- he is presumably also one of the wealthiest.

What's so deucedly odd about this is that Gaarder's books usually mix in a hefty dose of philosophical pedagogy along with the story. Sophie's World is subtitled A Novel about the History of Philosophy and the book often seems closer to being a primer on western philosophical thought than a novel -- so much so that it has become a popular textbook for undergraduate philosophy courses. This hardly seems consistent with "popular" fiction.