My first cointest

fam.bergum

In 986, Norwegian-born Eirik Thorvaldsson, known as Eirik the Red, explored and colonized the southwestern part of Greenland. It was his son, Leiv Eiriksson, who became the first European to set foot on the shores of North America, and the first explorer of Norwegian extraction now accorded worldwide recognition.

A statue of Leif:

leifurheppni.jpg

Johan Holtsmark at the Norwegian Institute of Technology (N.T.H.) in Trondheim, Norway, built a Van de Graaff generator for nuclear disintegration between 1933 and 1937. This is believed to be the second Van de Graaff generator in Europe and the first particle accelerator in Scandinavia.

we thought about moving there...tax is insane! Especially on Alcohol...and we all know about VAT now.

but the upside is they have great social programs!!! :)

Direct taxes

In Norway income tax ("inntektsskatt") and wealth tax ("formuesskatt") are direct taxes ("direkte skatter"). Income tax is paid directly as a percentage of income, whereas wealth tax is a tax on things you own, such as a house, bank deposits etc. Taxes are paid both to the state and the local municipality. In addition, a premium is paid to the social security system to finance public hospitals, medical treatment and various social benefits.

Indirect taxes

The most important indirect tax ("indirekte skatt") is value added tax, VAT, which is a general tax levied on sales within the country and on import. VAT is levied on most goods and some services, and applies to all stages in the chain of production and distribution. Any person engaged in trade or business is required to register and to charge and pay VAT on goods he/she supplies. VAT on inputs purchased by the registrants is deductible in the VAT accounts. VAT is thus not a tax on the registrants but a tax on final consumption.

VAT is presently calculated at a rate of 8 to 25 per cent of net price.

All self-employed persons are obliged to add this tax to sales of goods and services; it is a punishable offence not paying this tax in Norway. Further information on value added tax is available from the County Tax Assesment Office ("Fylkesskattekontoret").

Speaking of alcohol....in Sweden you have to be 18 to purchase alcohol under 22%alc. vol and 20 to purchase alcohol over 22%alc. vol.

Beer is very popular, mostly in the form of Pilsner such as Carlsburg.

Because of the high taxation of alcohol, home brewing is very popular and much of a problem....

Norwegian Folk Tale

The Pancake

ONCE ON a time there was a good housewife who had seven hungry children. One day she was busy frying pancakes for them, and this time she had used new milk in the making of them. One was lying in the pan, frizzling away — ah! so beautiful and thick — it was a pleasure to look at it. The children were standing round the fire, and the husband sat in the corner and looked on.

"Oh, give me a bit of pancake, mother, I am so hungry!" said one child.

"Ah, do! dear mother," said the second.

"Ah, do! dear, good mother," said the third.

"Ah, do! dear, good, kind mother," said the fourth.

"Ah, do! dear, good, kind, nice mother," said the fifth.

"Ah, do! dear, good, kind, nice, sweet mother," said the sixth.

"Ah, do! dear, good, kind, nice, sweet, darling mother," said the seventh. And thus they were all begging for pancakes, the one more prettily than the other, because they were so hungry, and such good little children.

"Yes, children dear, wait a bit until it turns itself," she answered — she ought to have said "until I turn it" — "and then you shall all have pancakes, beautiful pancakes, made of new milk — only look how thick and happy it lies there."

When the pancake heard this, it got frightened, and all of a sudden, it turned itself and wanted to get out of the pan, but it fell down in it again on the other side, and when it had been fried a little on pannekaka that side too, it felt a little stronger in the back, jumped out on the floor, and rolled away, like a wheel, right through the door and down the road.

"Hallo!" cried the good wife, and away she ran after it, with the frying pan in one hand and the ladle in the other, as fast as she could, and the children behind her, while the husband came limping after, last of all.

"Halloo, won't you stop? Catch it, stop it. Halloo there!" they all screamed, the one louder than the other, trying to catch it on the run, but the pancake rolled and rolled, and before long, it was so far ahead, that they could not see it, for the pancake was much smarter on its 'legs' than any of them.

When it had rolled a time, it met a man.

"Good-day, pancake!" said the man.

"Well met, Manny Panny," said the pancake.

"Dear pancake," said the man, "don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you."

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, I must run away from you too, Manny Panny," said the pancake, and rolled on and on, until it met a hen.

"Good day, pancake," said the hen.

"Good day, Henny Penny," said the pancake.

"My dear pancake, don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you," said the hen.

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, and from Manny Panny, I must run away from you too, Henny Penny," said the pancake, and rolled on like a wheel down the road. Then it met a cock.

"Good-day, pancake," said the cock.

"Good-day, Cocky Locky," said the pancake.

"My dear pancake, don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you," said the cock.

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, from Manny Panny, and Henny Penny, I must run away from you too, Cocky Locky," said the pancake, and rolled and rolled on as fast as it could. When it had rolled a long time, it met a duck.

"Good-day, pancake," said the duck.

"Good-day, Ducky Lucky," said the pancake.

"My dear pancake, don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you," said the duck.

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, from Manny Panny, and Henny Penny, and Cocky Locky, I must run away from you too, Ducky Lucky," said the pancake, and with that it fell to rolling and rolling as fast as ever it could. When it had rolled a long, long time, it met a goose.

"Good-day, pancake," said the goose.

"Good-day, Goosey Poosey," said the pancake.

"My dear pancake, don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you," said the goose.

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, from Manny Panny, and Henny Penny, and Cocky Locky, and Ducky Lucky, I must run away from you too, Goosey Poosey," said the pancake, and away it rolled. So when it had rolled a long, very long time, it met a gander.

"Good-day, pancake," said the gander.

"Good-day, Gander Pander," said the pancake.

"My dear pancake, don't roll so fast, but wait a bit and let me eat you," said the gander.

"When I have run away from Goody Poody and the husband and seven squalling children, from Manny Panny, and Henny Penny, and Cocky Locky, and Ducky Lucky, and Goosey Poosey, I must run away from you too, Gander Pander," said the pancake, and rolled and rolled as fast as it could. When it had rolled on a long, long time, it met a pig.

"Good-day, pancake," said the pig.

"Good-day, Piggy Wiggy," said the pancake, and began to roll on faster than ever.

Nay, wait a bit," said the pig, "you needn't be in such a hurry-scurry; we two can walk quietly together and keep each other company through the wood, because they say it isn't very safe there."

Norwegian folktales. Drawing by OTTO SINDING

"Ouf, ouf," grunted the pig.

The pancake thought there might be something in that, and so they walked together through the wood; but when they had gone some distance, they came to a brook.

The pig was so fat it wasn't much trouble for him to swim across, but the pancake couldn't get over.

"Sit on my snout," said the pig, "and I will ferry you over."

The pancake did so.

"Ouf, ouf," grunted the pig, and swallowed the pancake in one gulp, and as the pancake couldn't get any farther — well, you see we can't go on with this story any farther, either.

Many (aye decades) years ago, as a teenager, I saw a fabulous movie with awesome scenery in it...

I want to go there one day (though New Zealand is similar in many ways)

The movie was based on the life of Edvard Grieg, Norway's great classical composer!

(1843 - 1907)

At 15 years old he studied music at the Leipzig Conservatory and four years later he left as a full-fledged musician and composer.

His first symphony was marked "Never to be performed" by Grieg, however this was ignored.

The Piano Sonata and the Sonata, op.8, for Violin and Piano, from 1865 are just some of his works. However he derived his living mainly from playing and teaching until he was award an annual artists´ grant, and he returned to his home town of Bergen. From 1880 to 1882 he conducted the Harmonien orchestra of Bergen, but he later resigned all his official posts. His music became popular in the last 20 years of his life, with his goal to give the Norwegians a national form of music as an identity.

There are now several societies, including one international one, which organise events honouring this treasure of Norway. :)

The coin is very beautiful!!! Thank you for the cointest!!!

I will post a strange info about Norway!

I will post about eurovision contest!!! :)

Norway debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1960, and since then has only been absent twice: in 1970, when they boycotted the contest over disagreements about the voting structure, and in 2002, when they did not qualify.

Norway has twice won the contest, in 1985 with Bobbysocks' performance of La det swinge (Let It Swing) and in 1995 with Secret Garden's mainly instrumental, Celtic-influenced ethno-piece Nocturne. (This song forced a rule change due to the comparative lack of lyrics in it.) Despite these successes, the country also holds the unfortunate distinction of having scored the most "nul points" (zero points) in competition history, namely four times. They have also came last ten times, this is also a record.

In 2008 contest, Norway participated with the song named "Hold On Be Strong" and the singer was Maria Haukaas Storeng! They took the 5th place!!! This is a quite good place!!!

Oh! ....in the contest history, norway gave the most points to ....Sweden!!! Till now, 217 points!

I know a lot about Norway but most things have already been mentioned so I state some personalrelated norwayfacts.

There are some real tricky hides in Norway, they seem to find the most different ways to hide caches.

In fences and bolts in stones and in holes under the stones, so when the hint says under stone and you only find way to small stones to hide a regular box you get totally fooled. I had a few really fun cachetours in Elverum, lots of tricky hides.

There are alot of nice people in Norway, many of them are interested in coins also.

I made my very two first trades with a nice cacher from Norway, Jordet.

I´m from a small village about 60km from Norway.

I like Norwegian chocolate, Firklöver and the Saetrekjeks (hmm is that the name?)

Thanks for the cointest and for nice coins.

grodan Karin

Norway is between the first countries that first printed banknotes in europe! I think itis the second or the third! Norway's first banknotes were printed in 1695, in values of 10 Rixdaler Croner, 20,25,50 and 100!

The second series were printed in 1807!!!!

A small story I found aboutthe 1695 notes! A Norvegian merchant named Jiorgen Thor Mollen or something like that, followed the Swedish example of printing banknotes (Sweden was the first european country that printed banknotes!), and printed the 1695 series, so they could circulate as money! He was obliged to the money, so if someone who had these notes wanted to take silver or gold coins by exchanging the note value, Mollen had to give him the money!

The funny is that Mollen himself, was accepting only coins!!! :)

Norway has a territory in Antarctica!!! the newest banknote of Antarctica (only for collectors), the polymer ones, have in their 3$ note the head of King Haakon of Norway, and on the other side you can see the area in antarctica that Norway has, Norway's flag and Norway's map!

Interesting Laws in Norway....

Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs. ?? Really???

True... you have to pay aprox 400 dollar a year to have a tv.

I am not sure, if it´s been said before, but you can see the Northern Lights in Norway:

norwegen-30-10-03-dpa4.jpg

I wanted to make a Aurora coin but someone had allready made one with the help of offset printing.. I'm Living in the middle of norway. Even here we see northern lights in the winter.

I know you can take a killer whale safari in Lofoten. I would so love to do this!!!!!!!

orca_3.jpg

Whale safari and did you know the acting killer whale "keiko" who was famous from the "free willy" movies actually died here in Norway.

Interesting Laws in Norway....

Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs. ?? Really???

True... you have to pay aprox 400 dollar a year to have a tv.

I am not sure, if it´s been said before, but you can see the Northern Lights in Norway:

norwegen-30-10-03-dpa4.jpg

I wanted to make a Aurora coin but someone had allready made one with the help of offset printing.. I'm Living in the middle of norway. Even here we see northern lights in the winter.

I know you can take a killer whale safari in Lofoten. I would so love to do this!!!!!!!

orca_3.jpg

Whale safari and did you know the acting killer whale "keiko" who was famous from the "free willy" movies actually died here in Norway.

Can you tell me where you can see the aurora coin, I would really like to see that one :mad:

Great to hear you can see the northern lights at your home, it must be really beautiful to see them in person :)

The fact about keiko I actually did know, saw it somewhen on tv a long time ago, but it was sad to hear that free willy is dead :o

To make this entry count:

There are 19 districts in Norway:

norwegen_provinzen.png

One question:

when does the cointest end?

The Norwegian national football team, controlled by the Norwegian Football Association, is the national football team of Norway. The team played its first international in 1908. Its home ground is Ullevaal Stadium, Oslo, which seats 25,572 spectators.

Norway has participated three times in the World Cup: in 1938, 1994 and 1998. The Norwegian national team is the only team that has played Brazil and never lost to them.

Unfortunatelly they didn't make it in Euro 2008! They were in the same group with us, and.... only 2 were going! Greece and Turkey passed! Sorry!

Norway has a territory in Antarctica!!! the newest banknote of Antarctica (only for collectors), the polymer ones, have in their 3$ note the head of King Haakon of Norway, and on the other side you can see the area in antarctica that Norway has, Norway's flag and Norway's map!

oups! The head in the Antarctica note is actually King Harald! Sorry!!! :)

I think it's King Haakon VII

Picture of the note can be found :http://www.banknotes.com/aq16.htm

Edited by fam.bergum

I think it is a really beautiful country in wintertime:

norwegen_satellitenbild.jpg

But then it looks great in summer too:

satellite-image-of-norway.jpg

But at night it seems to be even better:

031031-F-0000W-001.jpg

As I can´t seem to decide, I decide I do not know whch one is best, I guess I just know, that Norway is a beautifull coutntry at all times of day and year :)

Norwegians make jokes about swedes_

Vet du hvordan du kan se om en svenske har brukt PCen din?

Svar: Det er korrekturlakk på skjermen din...

Do you know how you can tell if a Swede has used your PC?

Answer: There’s white-out on your screen.

Vet du hvorfor svenskene ikke spiser kaviar?

Svar: Fordi de ikke får hodet inn i tuben...

Do you know why Swedes don’t eat caviar?

Answer: Because they can’t get their heads in the tube.

. Vet du hvorfor svenskene alltid har en tom brusflaske i kjøleskapet?

Svar: I tilfelle det kommer noen på besøk som ikke er tørste...

Do you know why Swedes always have an empty pop-can in the refrigerator?

Answer: In case someone who isn’t thirsty comes to visit…

Så var det svensken som samlet på utgåtte lyspærer fordi han skulle innrede et mørkerom.

Then there was the Swede who collected burnt-out light bulbs to put in the his dark-room.

Vet du hvorfor svensken stiller seg foran vinduet når det lyner?

Svar: Han tror han blir tatt bilde av.

Do you know why a Swede stands in front of the window when there’s lightening?

Answer: He thinks he’s getting his picture taken.

Vet du hvordan du får en enarmet svenske ned fra ei flaggstang?

Svar: Du vinker til ham...

Do you know how you get a one-armed Swede down from a flagpole?

Answer: You wave at him…

Det var en gang to svensker som skulle måle hvor høy en flaggstang var, men så visste de ikke hvordan de skulle gjøre det.

Akkurat da kom det en norske forbi. Han sa:

"Den letteste måten er å hogge ned flaggstanga og måle den etterpå."

Da norsken hadde gått sa den ene svensken:

"For en idiot! Det er jo ikke lengden vi skal måle. Det er høyden...!"

One time there were two Swedes who wanted to measure how tall a flagpole was, but they didn’t know how to do it.

Just then, a Norwegian came by. He said:

“The easiest way is to cut down the flagpole and measure it afterwards.”

When the Norwegian had left, the one Swede said:

“What an idiot! It’s not the length we want to measure. It’s the height..!”

En svenske var på pizzarestaurant:

"Skal jeg dele pizzaen i fire eller åtte stykker", spurte servitøren.

"Bare i fire takk", svarte svensken. "Jeg tror ikke jeg orker åtte."

A Swede was at a pizza restaurant.

“Shall I divide the pizza in four or eight pieces?” asked the server.

“Just four, thanks,” answered the Swede, “I don’t think I can eat eight.”

Sweden, too, unfortunately! We pay about 60 bucks four times a year.

You know you’ve been in Norway too long when:

* You think there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Det finns ingen dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder!

* It’s acceptable to eat lunch at 11am and dinner at 3pm (they have a 4th meal around 8 or 9pm called “kveldsmat” which is an “evening meal,” waffles are a cozy popular kvelsmat idea or bread and tea).

We refer to it as fika a lot, but there are two different types of fika, thereäs the "kvallsmat," or night food that would be equivalent to bread and tea, and the one you get when you visit folks - cookies, candy, cake, etc. How Swedes/Norwegians are so danged thin is beyond me!

* You spend all your spare time in the great outdoors, whatever the weather

Only in the summer, here.... at least for this Swedenized American! Too cold in the winter!!

* You start believing if it weren’t for Norway’s efforts the world would probably go under soon

This, from a country that has Stop written at the top.... Oh wait, that part comes later!

* When a stranger on the street smiles at you, you assume that: A. He is drunk. B. He is insane. C. He is American D. He is all of the above

Strange, Swedes, feel that way, too!

Hmmm...as an American who moved to Sweden almost 9 years ago, this is some of what I've learned since moving here....

Swedish, Norwegian and Danish languages are all very similar and the three languages can be fairly well understood by all three countries... I took a call in Norwegian the other day and even me with my not so perfect Swedish was able to understand enough and help him. Reading the three languages is even easier. Only one of the two main Norwegian languages fits in here, the other doesn't. Can't remember if it's bokmål or nynorsk.

Norway is not a member of the European Union. They are fairly rich due to rich oil deposits and joining the EU would actually not be a benefit to them.

And... one of my favorite ones... apparently there is a lot of rivalry and ribbing between Swedes and Norwegians, kind of like between the Texas Longhorns and Aggies.... and a lot of jokes to go with them, here's the first Norwegian joke I learned, enjoy!

What's written at the top of every ladder sold in Norway?

STOP!!!

:mad:

Naomi :)

Now, something I heard a long time ago in TV! Sorry, I do not remember a lot but here is the story!

Norway was occupied by Germans in WWII! In Norwegian fiords, was German second best war ship, named Tirpitz! (the first was BIsmarck, but it sunked). This ship never fired against other ships!!!

It was in Norway, just to spread fear to the British, and to the ships that were carring weapons, food, soldiers, tanks etc from USA to England!

Many times tried to bomb the ship but they didn't make to sink it!

I think the best British opperation, named "Source", happent in Norwegian waters in 1943!

British made some tiny subs! I think they were taking only 2 persons! they released them close to Norway, so they can go to the place Tirpitz was and destroy it! The area there was fully protected, there was also a special net in the water, to protect the ship from torpedos!!

I think only 2 made it to go near the ship and put explosives, but didn't sunk the ship! They made big damage, but didn't sink it!!!

One of the mini subs stuck in the net and the 2 british were captured I think!

Later the commanders of the 2 mini subs took Victorian cross medals for that!

I think the subs were HMS X6 and HMS X7!

As I said, there were other subs in the same operation but they didn't make it! One was lost in the water, sunk for good, and I think an other one took a wrong way....an other had engine problems.....

I do not remember well!

The damages in Tirpitz, were heavy so until they get fixed, the seas were free, ships were comming and the allies started the marge of ships, weapons, men etc for Normandy!!! It was a start!

Since all these happent in Norway, itis a part of its history! :)

oups! The head in the Antarctica note is actually King Harald! Sorry!!! :)

I think it's King Haakon VII

Picture of the note can be found :http://www.banknotes.com/aq16.htm

:mad: Then I was correct in the first post! :o Thank you my friend! I have this note!!! I also have 4 Norwegian banknote too! :(

ok! I saw that in your coin there is the name of Trodheim where Nidaros church is!! Actually, Nidaros is the former name of Trodheim!!!

Well....Rosenborg Ballklub (RBK) is a Norwegian football club from the city of Trondheim, currently playing in the Norwegian Premier League. With 20 league titles and nine Norwegian Cup (Norwegian Championship) titles, the club is the most successful in Norway, and has dominated Norwegian football since the start of the 1990s. Rosenborg's domestic title streak of 13 consecutive wins is second in the world only to the 14-year streak of Skonto Riga of Latvia, their runs both ending in 2005.

Rosenborg were founded as Odd in 1917. Their home ground since 1957 is Lerkendal stadion

ok! I saw that in your coin there is the name of Trodheim where Nidaros church is!! Actually, Nidaros is the former name of Trodheim!!!

Well....Rosenborg Ballklub (RBK) is a Norwegian football club from the city of Trondheim, currently playing in the Norwegian Premier League. With 20 league titles and nine Norwegian Cup (Norwegian Championship) titles, the club is the most successful in Norway, and has dominated Norwegian football since the start of the 1990s. Rosenborg's domestic title streak of 13 consecutive wins is second in the world only to the 14-year streak of Skonto Riga of Latvia, their runs both ending in 2005.

Rosenborg were founded as Odd in 1917. Their home ground since 1957 is Lerkendal stadion

You are quite right, I'm not in to soccer, but i know that they have had hard times this year. They even lost a few matches in start of the season.

Norway in a nutshell® takes you through some of Norway's most beautiful fjord scenery. You can experience the scenic Bergen Railway, the breathtaking Flåm Railway, the Aurlandsfjord, the narrow Naeroyfjord (now included on UNESCO's World Heritage List) and the steep hairpin bends of Stalheimskleiva.

The Bergen Railway

The Bergen Railway is a unique experience on Northern Europe's highest-altitude railway line. One of the greatest challenges is the harsh and changeable weather. The line is exposed to deep low-pressure centres from the west, which can mean strong winds and heavy snow for part of the year. Keeping the railway open demands great effort and technical expertise. Today, skilled workers, effective equipment, tunnels and snow tunnels make the Bergen Railway one of the safest and most comfortable ways of travelling between Oslo and Bergen. The line was voted one of the 20 best railway experiences in the world in 1999.

The journey on the Flåm Railway is regarded as one of the highlights of the Norway in a nutshell® tour. The 20-km-long train journey from the mountain station of Myrdal down to Flåm, down beside the fjord, takes around 55 minutes. On the journey, you have views of some of the most magnificent mountain scenery in Norway with an ever-changing panorama of tall mountains and cascading waterfalls. The train moves slowly or stops at the best views.

Northern Norway is known to tourists as the «Land of the Midnight Sun». North of the Arctic Circle, the sun does not set between the middle of May and end of July; conversely the sun does not rise between the middle of November and the end of January.

Yes, this is the theme for my next "Norwegian Attractions" coin....