My first cointest

fam.bergum

santa claus has his "secret" village in norway. that is where all the letters from little children are received by him and read, while he decides who is good or bad.

edited to add thankyou for this cointest i really like the coin its beautiful.

Edited by paganfrog

Norway has three dependent territories : Bouvet Island, Peter I Island, and Dronning Maud Land on the Antarctic Continent, totalling more than 2.5 million square kilometers -- an area that is more than six times the area of the Kingdom of Norway itself!

Norway is the sixth largest country of Europe, in terms of land mass. However, in terms of population, it ranks only 28th.

Norway is one of the members of the Council of the Baltic Sea States.

The coastline of Norway, including fjords and bays, stretches over 20,000 kilometers.

As per historical accounts, the small kingdoms of Norway were united into a single state around 885 AD, by Harald the Fairhaired, a Viking King.

It is believed that the name Norway means “Path to the North”.

The highest mountain in Norway is Galdhopiggen (2,469 m). The largest lake in the country is Mjosa.

The Jostedalsbreen, in Norway, is the largest glacier in Northern Europe.

Pagan Gods, like Odin and Thor, were worshipped in Norway before it converted to Christianity, in 995.

Plague (Black Death) killed over a third of the population of Norway in the mid-14th century.

Hundreds of thousands of Norwegians migrated to USA in the 19th century.

The Christmas tree, which stands in Trafalgar Square in London, has been presented by ‘City of Oslo’ to the UK, for over fifty years.

The per capita income of Norway ranks among the highest in the world.

Norwegian Constitution was signed on 17th May, 1814. The day is celebrated as a national holiday in the country.

As per Encyclopedia Britannica, Norwegians read more than any other population in the world.

Norway is counted amongst the wealthiest countries of the world.

Norway was rated the most peaceful country in the world, in a survey conducted by Global Peace Index in 2007.

To be honest, I know very little about Norway, but found some information about its history:

Norwegians, like the Danes and Swedes, are of Teutonic origin. The Norsemen, also known as Vikings, ravaged the coasts of northwest Europe from the 8th to the 11th century and were ruled by local chieftains. Olaf II Haraldsson became the first effective king of all Norway in 1015 and began converting the Norwegians to Christianity. After 1442, Norway was ruled by Danish kings until 1814, when it was united with Sweden—although retaining a degree of independence and receiving a new constitution—in an uneasy partnership. In 1905, the Norwegian parliament arranged a peaceful separation and invited a Danish prince to the Norwegian throne—King Haakon VII. A treaty with Sweden provided that all disputes be settled by arbitration and that no fortifications be erected on the common frontier.

When World War I broke out, Norway joined with Sweden and Denmark in a decision to remain neutral and to cooperate in the joint interest of the three countries. In World War II, Norway was invaded by the Germans on April 9, 1940. It resisted for two months before the Nazis took complete control. King Haakon and his government fled to London, where they established a government-in-exile. Maj. Vidkun Quisling, who served as Norway's prime minister during the war, was the most notorious of the Nazi collaborators. The word for traitor, quisling, bears his name. He was executed by the Norwegians on Oct. 24, 1945. Despite severe losses in the war, Norway recovered quickly as its economy expanded. It joined NATO in 1949.

I am active in my labor union and we often use the word "quisling" to describe traiterous members. Now I know where it came from.

Edited by nashuan

Norway is one of the Nordic countries. It occupies the western part of the Scandinavian peninsula, with a total area of 323 878 sq km. <-(found that in the dictionary did not know) It is bordered by the North Sea, the Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea in the west, Russia, Finland and Sweden in the east, and the Skagerrak (an arm of the North Sea) in the south. Most of the country consists of mountains and plateaus. Forests are found almost as far north as Nordkapp (the North Cape). Norway's temperate climate is the result of the warming Gulf Stream. Summers are remarkably mild for the latitude, while winters are long and very cold, often with plenty of snow. Rainfall is very heavy in the west.

Interesting Laws in Norway....

If your vehicle stalls and you leave it on the side of the road, you must mark the vehicle with a red, reflecting triangle.

Licenses must be bought in order to own television sets, and even VCRs. ?? Really???

You may not spay your female dog or cat. However, you may neuter the males of the species.

I grew up in LaCrosse, WI which has a rather large Norwegian population! Back in the day, we ate two popular Norwegian foods...Lutefisk and Lefse. I know that "Lutefisk" is a traditional Norwegian seafood dish made of cod, and either lye, or lime (the mineral, not the citrus fruit). Lefse (which is yummy with melted butter and cinnamon sugar) is a traditional soft Norwegian flatbread made out of potato, milk or cream and flour, and cooked on a griddle.

Another interesting fact about Norway is that the Laerdal tunnel, which was opened in 2000 and is located on the Oslo-Bergen highway, is the longest road tunnel in the world, measuring 15.3 miles, or 24.5 kilometers. Very cool! Also...did you know Norway is a Kingdom?

...keeping my fingers crossed...[8D]

DrJeepStr

I grew up in LaCrosse, WI which has a rather large Norwegian population! Back in the day, we ate two popular Norwegian foods...Lutefisk and Lefse. I know that "Lutefisk" is a traditional Norwegian seafood dish made of cod, and either lye, or lime (the mineral, not the citrus fruit). Lefse (which is yummy with melted butter and cinnamon sugar) is a traditional soft Norwegian flatbread made out of potato, milk or cream and flour, and cooked on a griddle.

Another interesting fact about Norway is that the Laerdal tunnel, which was opened in 2000 and is located on the Oslo-Bergen highway, is the longest road tunnel in the world, measuring 15.3 miles, or 24.5 kilometers. Very cool! Also...did you know Norway is a Kingdom?

...keeping my fingers crossed...[8D]

DrJeepStr

You know you’ve been in Norway too long when:

* You think there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

* It’s acceptable to eat lunch at 11am and dinner at 3pm (they have a 4th meal around 8 or 9pm called “kveldsmat” which is an “evening meal,” waffles are a cozy popular kvelsmat idea or bread and tea).

* You spend all your spare time in the great outdoors, whatever the weather

* You start believing if it weren’t for Norway’s efforts the world would probably go under soon

* When a stranger on the street smiles at you, you assume that: A. He is drunk. B. He is insane. C. He is American D. He is all of the above

A Norwegian troll

The legend of trolls was born in Norway's dark forests and mountainsides. The creatures are said to emerge from their hiding places only after sunset, have the ability to transform themselves at will and, when provoked, are notoriously quick to anger.

nor-troll.jpg

Thanks for the cointest! How will you be choosing the winner? How many times can we enter?

Here is a tidbit about Norway:From 1933 until 1981, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) comprised the sole general broadcaster of television and radio in Norway.

Common animals in Norway

Norway is home to many species of wild animals. Most of the animals in Norway are not dangerous to people, and we can safely use the countryside without being afraid of wild animals. Some animals live in the forests, while others live in the mountains. Let’s take a closer look at some of them:

Bears

Squirrels

Elks

Lynx

Hares

Deer

Reindeer

Roe deer

Foxes

Wolves

Adders

Thanks for the cointest! How will you be choosing the winner? How many times can we enter?

The winner is chosen by me :), this may seem a bit unfear so lets draw one winner from all the answers to. The winner of the lottery part of this cointest will receive a Gecko98 coin.

The winner is chosen by me :), this may seem a bit unfear so lets draw one winner from all the answers to. The winner of the lottery part of this cointest will receive a Gecko98 coin.

Hey, thanks! Very generous of you to offer up a second coin.

I know that a few years ago, my colleague went to Norway and brought me back a little stuffed moose wearing a sweater with the flag of Norway on it. :mad:

In today's news....

Forest fires closed Oslo to Bergen railway line

The Oslo to Bergen railway line was closed Friday morning, due to a number of smaller brush and forest fires along the line, probably ignited by faulty train brakes.

The heat wave over Southern Norway over the last several weeks have left the ground dry as cinders, and there is now a ban on open fires outdoors in the whole region.

Temperatures have soared, and Oslo and several other places recorded 27 degrees Celcius Thursday afternoon. Rains are not expected before Monday at the earliest.

Most of the fires along the railway line were put out by Friday morning, but it will still take some time to clear the line of debris.

It is therefore unclear when the regular traffic will be resumed, NRK reports.

Meanwhile passengers are transported by bus around the affected areas.

(NRK)

Rolleiv Solholm

Fridtjof Nansen of Norway was the 1922 recipient of the Nobel Peace prize.

excerpt from the Nobel site

1922: Nansen, Fridtjof, Norway, 1861-1930.

Explorer, scientist and humanitarian. Norway's delegate to the League of Nations. Initiator of the Nansen Passport (for refugees).