Question about Homemade Signature Coin

Coyoteguy

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started on all of this but I really wanted to try my hand at making my own coin. HOWEVER, I have sort of a "don't buy it if you can make it" mentality so I thought I would do some research and make my first sig. coin out of sculpey clay. The question I have is this - Is this the place I would show it off or post up a pic? I'm making up about 50 of them at first and will be dropping them in caches I've already found this weekend. I would like to eventually make a few Geocoins after getting the design approved through Groundspeak. As a test run for now, all I have is the signature coin.

I'm a little daunted by the great work I've seen here so far and thought it would be good to ask first!

If this isn't the area to post it, where IS a good thread?

Thanks all!

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started on all of this but I really wanted to try my hand at making my own coin. HOWEVER, I have sort of a "don't buy it if you can make it" mentality so I thought I would do some research and make my first sig. coin out of sculpey clay. The question I have is this - Is this the place I would show it off or post up a pic? I'm making up about 50 of them at first and will be dropping them in caches I've already found this weekend. I would like to eventually make a few Geocoins after getting the design approved through Groundspeak. As a test run for now, all I have is the signature coin.

I'm a little daunted by the great work I've seen here so far and thought it would be good to ask first!

If this isn't the area to post it, where IS a good thread?

Thanks all!

Definitely throw a picture up here! Some of my favorite sigature coins and nickels are hand made :)

Alright, here we go. Managed to get home and snap a few shots with a few of the signature coins...

coin001.jpg

coin002.jpg

Coins are 1 1/2" across and vary from 1/8" and thinner. These are all from a hand sketched design which I then etched into a polymer mold. I've done some of the carving before with rubber stamping but I'm still learning hence some of the roughness. After baking, they're hand painted and "conditioned." Each one is a little different and slightly different color which I enjoy quite a bit.

The three stars represent the three Latin words I came up with for my motto. (These will show up later) And the crossed circle plays two roles, that of some of the popular Geocaching symbols I've seen as well as the medicine circle of native american spirituality.

I'm thinking of doing a series of them, maybe 100, and then retiring them and going to the next design. I would like to get a geocoin design approved next. I'm obsessed, I tell ya, obsessed! (I know that this crowd completely understands such things.)

Can't wait to get a few in some caches this weekend...

WOW! those are fantastic! I'm still an avid collector of sig items and owuld love to add this to my collection, are you doing any trades?

Maybe with these crazy gas prices now is a good time to get out the sculpy and have a family token making night...hmmm...I wonder if it's hot enough outside now to bake them in the sun! (100 today!)

Wow, thanks everyone for the warm compliments! I really appreciate it!

UOTrackers - It's always time for sculpey with the family! :) I'm planning on making some designs for my kids as well. They love these things and keep picking them up and carrying them off. Good juju for a cache, I guess! I'm going to have them do a design and we'll make them up.

Tiki - You tokens are very cool! I think I'm stuck with sculpey for now but I might try to pirate off some of my wife's clay and kiln time and make a few ceramic tokens/coins. We'll see how THAT goes...

To everyone that has made mention of trades, I'll be trying to get to some PM's later this morning or afternoon! (storms in the area and I've got my hands full with kids.) It's a big compliment, thank you!!!

:) Hey those sigs. are awesome... I'd love to work a trade with ya if possible. I'm almost as addicted to the sig. items as the coins... I know.. that's almost blasphemous in here but man some folks really shine when it comes to sigs... apparently you're one of em'!!! Hope to work a trade. Keep up the good work. :(

Alright, here we go. Managed to get home and snap a few shots with a few of the signature coins...

coin001.jpg

coin002.jpg

Excellent job, are you making each one individually or making them from a mold?

I read a bit further and think I just answered my own question. I did just post a tutorial on how to make your own geo token and mold to reproduce them as many times as you want. I think I saw your post there.

This could save you alot of time and possibly money. A 10KG bag of quick dry plaster of paris costs me $17CND and easily makes 500 tokens.

With using a mold, then most of your time is spent designing new tokens.

Edited by lordzogat

These look fantastic.........great job!!!!!

This is all very nice and I also like the home made coins but ..... the question was also "Can we get geocoin numbers for tracking them on the net ?"

And hopefully, the numbers are released free of charge ....

Loba2007, Quebec, Canada

These look fantastic.........great job!!!!!

This is all very nice and I also like the home made coins but ..... the question was also "Can we get geocoin numbers for tracking them on the net ?"

And hopefully, the numbers are released free of charge ....

Loba2007, Quebec, Canada

I believe the only option is to buy a Travel bug Tag and attach it to the item. Trackable numbers are only available at a cost of $1.50 each if they are placed on a production run of geo-coins from one of the Groundspeak approved manufacturers.

coin001.jpg

coin002.jpg

Coins are 1 1/2" across and vary from 1/8" and thinner. These are all from a hand sketched design which I then etched into a polymer mold. I've done some of the carving before with rubber stamping but I'm still learning hence some of the roughness. After baking, they're hand painted and "conditioned." Each one is a little different and slightly different color which I enjoy quite a bit.

The three stars represent the three Latin words I came up with for my motto. (These will show up later) And the crossed circle plays two roles, that of some of the popular Geocaching symbols I've seen as well as the medicine circle of native american spirituality.

I'm thinking of doing a series of them, maybe 100, and then retiring them and going to the next design. I would like to get a geocoin design approved next. I'm obsessed, I tell ya, obsessed! (I know that this crowd completely understands such things.)

Can't wait to get a few in some caches this weekend...

I LOVE those! Excellent job :blink:

This is a Smurfy item. I have a casting kit I have had for almost a year and have not even opened the package yet. I hope to open it sometime soon and try it out. Would love to learn how to do this. Congrats on such a Smurfy item again. Happy Caching, Greg "GeoSmurfz"

coin001.jpg

coin002.jpg

Excellent job, are you making each one individually or making them from a mold?

I read a bit further and think I just answered my own question. I did just post a tutorial on how to make your own geo token and mold to reproduce them as many times as you want. I think I saw your post there.

This could save you alot of time and possibly money. A 10KG bag of quick dry plaster of paris costs me $17CND and easily makes 500 tokens.

With using a mold, then most of your time is spent designing new tokens.

Where might we find this "tutorial"? :blink:

FOUND IT :D

Edited by fairyhoney

Didn't expect such an immediate response!

Thanks!

It's the geocoin forums. If they could have, they would have asked for the picture when you made your first test piece! LOL :D When you come in here with new ideas, be prepared. These collectors are addicted, they admit it, and often lend sage advice such as "Get out while you can!". Welcome to the world of geocoin collecting. It's loads of fun.

Have you checked out all the pinned threads up top for more information on geocoins?

Welcome to the world of geocoin collecting. It's loads of fun.

Have you checked out all the pinned threads up top for more information on geocoins?

Thanks and yes, I did look through the pinned threads. Its because of THEM that I'm sitting at my kitchen table messing with sculpey at all hours of the night now! :o

I'm really quite excited and pleased with the amount of positive feedback as well as the extra information I've learned just in the small amount of time I've been reading and posting. Thanks again, everyone.

And, if you want to trade me signature items, just send me a PM!

Edited by Coyoteguy