Garmin Legend HCX Bike Mount?

Hi everyone. I hope that accessories are allowed to be discussed in this forum. I'm really sorry if I have posted on something that's not up for discussion here. I'm not sure where else to go.

I've been trying to find a bike handle bar mount for my Etrex Legend HCX.

I mistakenly purchased the:

Garmin eTrex Handlebar Mount

http://www.rei.com/product/658740

658740Lrg.jpg

...from REI. The problem with this product is as you can see the battery cover that fits against the GPS is uniform on both sides where as on the Legend HCX there is a micro SD slot on the left side. Thus, it doesn't fit.

What I am trying to find is the appropriate bike mount for the Legend HCX. When I go to the Garmin site and navigate to the Legend HCX accessory page (click on Accessories tab), the only thing indicative of a product for bicycles is 2 rail mount adapters:

cf-sm.jpgcf-sm.jpg

I would gladly buy one of these rail mount adapters, but I don't think the rail size is my problem, and neither of these products seems to indicate that it contains a battery cover that will allow you to slide it onto the rail adapter, thus joining the GPS successfully with the bike.

Does anyone have a Legend HCX bike mount? And where did you get it from? I was going to call Garmin, but I'm afraid without links and pictures I would have a hard time explaining myself and I know there are plenty of knowledgable peeps here.

Any input is appreciated!

Sakko

When you purchased your Legend there should have been a clip in the box that screws into the back of the GPS. That clip is what attaches to the handlebar mount. The handlebar mount you purchased from REI is for the older blue Legend. You can still use the bike mount, just take the cover off and use the clip.

Sakko

When you purchased your Legend there should have been a clip in the box that screws into the back of the GPS. That clip is what attaches to the handlebar mount. The handlebar mount you purchased from REI is for the older blue Legend. You can still use the bike mount, just take the cover off and use the clip.

I don't know about the Legend, but the Vista had the clip. I just bought the mounts and put it on my motorcycle. I have another mount for my bicycle but haven't put it on yet.

98145167.jpg

Can't help you with that one, I have not seen the clip for sale seperately. I know I lost one of mine and called Garmin to inquire about getting a new one, they sent me one no charge. You might ask around here if someone who uses a RAM Mount is willing to part with theirs. FWIW, a little locktite helps keep it in place.

FOUND IT WOOHOO! Now for the rail adapter...

Now the question, where can you buy extra bike clip adapters. I'd like to buy a couple just incase I misplace the only one I have. I haven't been able to find it on Garmin's website.

I needed to buy one of these but the tech support person had a lot of difficulty figuring out what I needed. After about 15 minutes, she figured it out. Just give them a call and tell them you need part number 145-00709-00

RAM mounts really are the best. But I've made my own GPS mounts when I couldn't find what I need locally or I've been too impatient or cheap to buy online.

I use Shapelock plastic https://www.shapelock.com. First I wrap the GPS in SaranWrap (so the hot/soft plastic won't stick to the GPS), then hand-molded a thin sheet of ShapeLock around the back. A couple of nylon cable ties to hold it onto the handelbars and a couple of fat rubber bands make sure the GPS stays secure in the mount.

15 minutes and probably less than 50 cents of material. I buy Shapelock by the kilo though because I use it for a LOT of things :P

Edited by lee_rimar

Hi everyone,

I have a Vista HCx and tried the original Garmin handlebar mount. Very weak and I abandoned it after my first ride, too much vibration and shaking during MTB practice. I don't trust such a small screw connecting the mount to the battery cover, although I always keep tethering the unit to the handlebar with a safety lanyard. For some time I've been using the original Garmin case and connecting its belt clip to a self-made support on both my bicycles' and motorcycle's handlebars.

The plastic cover makes it at times difficult to read, plus I hate the unit to shake.

I've been considering to modify the battery cover by drilling and tapping extra holes to fasten a solid connecting plate, but I have instead made a case out of scrap which I attach everywhere with Velcro strap. All of my handlebars, backpacks and even car dashboards. Simple, easy to build for a cost of say $1. Very reliable under any condition and easy to get on and off. Photo herebelow shows my first prototype which I've now been testing for quite some time. I prepared nicer ones but the prototype is still good, so I'm testing it for longevity and it hasn't let me down after a year of intense use. Should it happen, I'll just replace the velcro.

If interested, please find the concept, details (including a cutout template) for case/mount and building description here:

http://ant1606-garmin-etrex-vista.blogspot.com

Ciao

Ant

eTrex%2BVista_Case_6.jpg