Nano

I just found a tiny rolled up paper on a paper clip stuffed into a tiny hole in a telephone pole.

It was just as small as the official magnetic Nanos we see everywhere.

It certainly would have helped us search, if we had know it was NANO sized, rather than searching for a 35mm sized MICRO.

I agree.

If they could be searched for separately, perhaps people with BIG HANDWRITING, fat-knibbed pens, and a habit of writing their full caching name, date and 'TNLN' on the paper log instead of their initials, as requested on the cache page could be asked to ignore all nanos? :(

Totally agree!

Izzy and The Lizard King 06/06/2008

:mad::o

Thats one side of the nano roll used up :)

I think it would be a good idea to separate them from micros. Cachers who can live with finding micros but don't like nanos could filter them out.

Some cachers show their nano caches as 'other' as the cache type... that usually gives the game away :)

Well i have to say that i Hate micros cos i take ages to find them. 6 Visits and nearly 4 hours for one of them.

So when 2 of a series of 6 Nano's showed up withing 1 miles of my house i thought "Welcome to Hell".

I went out for a look thinking that i'd look once and if i didn't get them they were going on my ignore list.

The first one was simple, although i have to say i must have looked really suspicious.

i wasn't even out geocaching when i found the second, i was coming going to Uni to return books and as i was walking towards the entrance i realised that i was going to walk right past the other one.

Found it no problem without my GPS.

Haven't been out for the others yet but i'll get around to them.

Back to the OP, they are fine as trad's but i'd like the size scale to list them as Micro (35mm can) and Nano rather than all as Small Containers.

Or give them there own icon and then have 2 categories within. Nano and Micro.

Anyway, i've lost my GPS so i am off to tidy up...

We don't like nanos either and wish they came with their own category, although we don't do micros either, great thing the ignore button.

Have to admit we did find a nano recently, was on a bike trail near us. There are varying size boxes along it, so something for everyone :D Not something that floats our boat though, the nano that is not the bike trail.

Disaster :blink: Hope you find your GPS before next weekend, money on lots of nanos in Glendaruel

I think that as they are so widely used and are totally different from the usual micro sized cache containers they should have their own category. That way, those that hate them can ignore them and those that love them can find them easilly - online at least :blink:

I like these nanos....

http://www.geotees.co.uk/index.php?act=vie...mp;productId=41

I usually get mine form Mongoose39uk when I see him though! I have had other stuff from geotees though that I've rodered through the post, arrrived next day with V cheap postage.

I must get round to placing some of the ones I've got sat here... I keep getting them and then losing them, they're that small!!!!

For me, the fun in the geocaching thing is the imagination needed to hide a box big enough to hold some swaps and a few travel bugs,

we've done a few micro's, but dont really like them, will do one if we are going past it, but wont go out caching just to get a micro, and as for nano's..... well i've done one, but that was because it was near a TB hotel, and i just felt like finding it and initialing the log,

Tho it really does depend on the terain, in the middle of a city, micros and nano's are about all you can have, but as i go geocaching to get away from the city, i want to find big caches so i can see whats been left for swaps, and then see what's around the cache area, i really like it when the cache owners put in info cards of things to do in the area.

Having set one close to the Houses of Parliament, I know urban nanos have a place- it would have been reckless to hide anything bigger in such a sensitive location. The idea of a nano in the woods with the clue, 'hidden in ivy' makes my blood run icy though!

Edited by Simply Paul

Nano's great for urban caches.

If page says size 'other' it usually means some devious micro or nano, often cleverly disguised. Do we really need another classification, surely those who don't like nano's probably don't like micros either? (The only problem with 'other' is that if you use the different icons on MM, it looks like a regular cache).

Love finding them, if I haven't had much of a walk then I don't mind spending time hunting for them. But if they are in a busy/CCTV area, I would prefer a 'spot on' clue to help grab them stealthily so I don't look suspicious.

Although I do cringe when people waste the space on the log with full name, date, 'yeehaa FTF'... stickers, ink stamps etc. Whats wrong with just initials - do you even need the date? (or abbr. the date to 8/6 rather than 08/06/08). Yes, I had a nano spot that somebody used one whole side for their details. If you have trouble writing tiny, why not just leave a mark (e.g. two stars/a green dot or something) - then say so when logging on the site so people know it was you?

If you like the challenge, find 'em.

If you don't like em, don't do 'em.

Variety is the spice and all of that!

Disaster :blink: Hope you find your GPS before next weekend, money on lots of nanos in Glendaruel

I was getting desperate last night as Dad went away today and there was no way i was letting him leave with his GPS if i couldn't find mine.

I did find it eventually last night, then put it down again and spent 20 mins looking for it this morning... Sometimes i wonder if geocaching is really the right hobby for me.

No thank you on the Nano's for next weekend. I want Ammo cans and LARGE Tupperware, if i have to deal with the manky Midge i want it to be worth while.

See you there,

Ljay

Definitely should be a separate class. Often placers of Nano will use the 'Mirco' or 'Other' descriptor, but that doesn't really help.

Although people expect one of those small screw up 'buttons', sometimes they are different. Perhaps the class definition of a 'Nano' should be something like...

No larger than 2.5 cubic cm or 1 cubic inch. If approaching the size of a film canister or pill/tablet container, it is a Micro.

[Edited to include suggestion of description]

Edited by careygang

I think it would be a good idea to separate them from micros. Cachers who can live with finding micros but don't like nanos could filter them out.

Yeah, I see a bright side to this idea. I would never have another nano downloaded, and never spend my time hunting them. I most often find a nano used in a manner that indicates "spew" and blocking the placement of a real cache.

Yeah, I see a bright side to this idea. I would never have another nano downloaded, and never spend my time hunting them. I most often find a nano used in a manner that indicates "spew" and blocking the placement of a real cache.

Another resounding 'Yes' here - whether you like them or not, it makes sense to know what you might be looking for.

Deceangi, you can close this thread now as it's been agreed that we add Nano. B)

PS When will it be available ;)

We could add our support here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...012&hl=nano

no sorry here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...106&hl=nano

oops wrong one

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...987&hl=nano

darn it

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...988&hl=nano

aha

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...604&hl=nano

Guess its a no then ;):)

Having set one close to the Houses of Parliament, I know urban nanos have a place- it would have been reckless to hide anything bigger in such a sensitive location. The idea of a nano in the woods with the clue, 'hidden in ivy' makes my blood run icy though!

This sums up my thoughts exactly. I found some great nanos in London while on a visit there recently and really felt smug that the hundreds of passers-by didn't have a clue they were there!

If all caches were film-pots hidden in ivy though, I think I'd give up caching!

Edited by Fuchsiamagic