Automotive GPSr

Wow, there's like 40,000 topics here so probably this is covered, if so, I'm sorry. I have a magellan explorist 500 that works great. I'm looking to purchase an auto GPSr. I don't want to take it out in the woods geocaching, but I would like to have the geocaches in the auto unit and then switch over to the Magellan for the detail work. I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 200. It's relatively inexpensive (very important), You can imput coordinates, and I saw a thread on here that details how to get a pocket query onto the unit relatively easy. How does this sound so far? Any other thoughts or suggestions at different units that will meet my needs? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much. JpO

Wow, there's like 40,000 topics here so probably this is covered, if so, I'm sorry. I have a magellan explorist 500 that works great. I'm looking to purchase an auto GPSr. I don't want to take it out in the woods geocaching, but I would like to have the geocaches in the auto unit and then switch over to the Magellan for the detail work. I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi 200. It's relatively inexpensive (very important), You can imput coordinates, and I saw a thread on here that details how to get a pocket query onto the unit relatively easy. How does this sound so far? Any other thoughts or suggestions at different units that will meet my needs? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much. JpO

I have a Nuvi 350 that I use for work.It is a great little unit,and I would recommend it to anyone.

You can get a refurb 250W for about $150 and it will do it all. 100% paperless and take you straight to GZ with TourGuide alerts as you drive. I think the Nuvi's are tougher than people think. I've used mine in the rain more than once (albeit carefully). I have an Etrex Vista HCx that I use for fishing waypoints and some intense winter navigation, but for geocahing (my opinion) the Nuvi does an amazing job. I have had absolutely no problems with accuracy and have walked and driven straight to GZ with the unit in offroad mode using a pointer several times. (No, I don't work for Garmin)

You will do well to get one of the Garmin's, StreetPilot or Nuvi. They can accept geocaches through the USB cable using the, "Send to GPS" button on page descriptions. You can also load a large number of geocaches as Custom POI's (Points of Interest) using Garmin's POI Loader.

Cache On!

JohnTee

BTW - I found a Nuvi 360 for $239 on amazon.com. The 360 had a several nice features that I liked. I would look for, at minimum, 'text-to-voice' or spoken directions and possible and SD card slot. They later had the 660 (widescreen model of the 360) for $289. You can also look on buy.com. Might also try including the word 'refurbished' along with 'garmin' and 'nuvi' or 'streetpilot'.

Oh, yes, the StreetPilot series . . . came out before the Nuvi. You can get a lot of the same features as in the 2xx or 3xx series of Nuvi's for quite a bit less. Screen/face size is the same, they just have a baseball size bump out the back, instead of being flat like a PDA.

Cache On!

JohnTee