What kind of ammo can is this?

I picked up this ammo can, at least I think it's an ammo can, from a surplus store near Ft. Lewis today. I neglected to ask what it was used for. Can anybody throw me a bone here? I have no clue. Was thinking maybe a mortar round or something. Sorry for the link, I couldn't get the insert photo to work.114.gif

Photo of Strange Ammo Can Here!!!

It appears to be a portable human waste disposal unit. :)

It looks big enough to be a container for a ship's cannon shell or an artillery shell.

I don't think they'd camouflage a ship's cannon shell green. You don't find much undergrowth at sea. :)

Edited by Crid

You could try some of the military collector websites / forums: those people can be almost as obsessed about containers as, well, us. :)

I picked up this big puppy for an island cache and only took a day or so to get my answer from a Collectors Forum:

...ammunition can for the 20mm Oerlikon (Navy) gun. From memory the can held 180 rounds in individual carboard tubes...

bigcan2.jpg

I have one sitting in my garage and know of a very cool cache made from one, but what it held originally I am not sure. Most likely some sort of mortar round.

Edit to add:

I walked out to my garage and my label is in tact. It is a cannon load of some sort.

Here is something I found: Storage Tube

The NATO part makes since there is German, Italian and French written on it.

Edited by D@nim@l

I picked up this ammo can, at least I think it's an ammo can, from a surplus store near Ft. Lewis today. I neglected to ask what it was used for. Can anybody throw me a bone here? I have no clue. Was thinking maybe a mortar round or something. Sorry for the link, I couldn't get the insert photo to work.114.gif

It might be for an RPG, I have seen metal ones but this might be a newer version, it looks like about the right length and diameter.

There is a cache in Minnesota that uses that!!! The cache page calls it a German Ammo Can...so...maybe, just maybe that is true. Considering a couple of the posts say possible European Origin...

It might be for an RPG, I have seen metal ones but this might be a newer version, it looks like about the right length and diameter.

It is for an RPG. I was just in a guns and ammo store a few days ago, and they had one of these babies on display. It would be a super cool cache container!

I own a cache in a similar (but not identical) container, for a military rocket. It's gotten dozens and dozens of logs over five years that say "cool container!"

I made sure I hid this cache in a remote area of a local park, and it's there with the park's knowledge. Don't hide a container like this in a spot that would provoke a bomb squad practice session.

I have one sitting in my garage and know of a very cool cache made from one, but what it held originally I am not sure. Most likely some sort of mortar round.

Edit to add:

I walked out to my garage and my label is in tact. It is a cannon load of some sort.

Here is something I found: Storage Tube

The NATO part makes since there is German, Italian and French written on it.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!!! THANKS D@NIM@L!!

I picked up this ammo can, at least I think it's an ammo can, from a surplus store near Ft. Lewis today. I neglected to ask what it was used for. Can anybody throw me a bone here? I have no clue. Was thinking maybe a mortar round or something. Sorry for the link, I couldn't get the insert photo to work.

I was thinking it was the holder for the new extended life battery for the Garmin Colorado 400 so it will last as long as the 60CSx :)
Dood, that is one super-cool looking container. I'm going to have to raid (shop at) my local Military Surplus store and see if they have any.
The only surplus store in the local area said the other day they are totally out of ammo cans and are not expecting any in any time soon. They said some line of BS about their supplier is starting to shread them down to be recycled and they couldn't get more... Huh???? Anyone else hear anything like this?

But started shopping online full time, save about 75% on cost (even with shipping) and get the things in 3-4 days.

Dood, that is one super-cool looking container. I'm going to have to raid (shop at) my local Military Surplus store and see if they have any.
The only surplus store in the local area said the other day they are totally out of ammo cans and are not expecting any in any time soon. They said some line of BS about their supplier is starting to shread them down to be recycled and they couldn't get more... Huh???? Anyone else hear anything like this?

But started shopping online full time, save about 75% on cost (even with shipping) and get the things in 3-4 days.

That's got to be total B.S.!

The steel in a typical ammo can can't be worth more than a few cents, while the intact can is certainly going to go for a few dollars.

when I was a 13 bravo in the ARMY on a M109 Howitzer, we used similar looking containers for our Powder charges.

The ARMY uses 2 seperate types of ammo in Artillary, Fixed & Seperate loading.

Fixed loads look like Bullets on Steroids.

Seperate loading like the type I fired used a seperate projectile & Powder charge,which can be tuned by using designated increments.Which is why the Canister is so long(for the really big Boom) :)

It is for an RPG. I was just in a guns and ammo store a few days ago, and they had one of these babies on display. It would be a super cool cache container!

They are using one for GC9E5E.

I remember searching for this can as well, since I have one too!

I think it is a Swiss Rocket Tube from WWII! (circa 1940's)

Mine is missing the latch, but could not pass it up for $1.50 :wub:

I remember there being a picture of a backpack that could hold 3 or 4 of those as well!

Found mine at an antique shop in Pigeon Forge Tn.

Hope this helps!

BlAcKrOk