Rattlesnake Cache

I would say should make whatever you want but to have the common courtesy to let people know that the cache may frighten or offend some cachers, so that they can decide if they want to go after it or not.

It's been done quite a bit. Go for it. Some people have put rubber snakes on top of containers to surprise cachers.

I don't see anything that you need to "warn" people about.

I would say should make whatever you want but to have the common courtesy to let people know that the cache may frighten or offend some cachers, so that they can decide if they want to go after it or not.

It's been done quite a bit. Go for it. Some people have put rubber snakes on top of containers to surprise cachers.

We obviously geocache in different locations and therefore probably have different experiences. I offered my input based on the fact that if I came across a "REALISTIC" rattlesnake in my area I would shoot it and therefore destroy the cache. If I knew in advance that the cache had some fright element, it may avoid issues for the cache owner.

We obviously geocache in different locations and therefore probably have different experiences. I offered my input based on the fact that if I came across a "REALISTIC" rattlesnake in my area I would shoot it and therefore destroy the cache. If I knew in advance that the cache had some fright element, it may avoid issues for the cache owner.

Why shoot a snake just because it's a snake? :laughing:

Snakes are a natural part of the environment, and they DO have their place in it. ;)

Perhaps you don't like the looks of the snake? :laughing:

What if I don't like YOUR looks? :yikes:

There are plenty of snakes here in Arizona, and I have encountered more than a few. ;)

They have ALWAYS tried to get out of my way. :)

I have been bitten a time or two, but it has ALWAYS been MY FAULT. :)

If you don't want to see snakes, move to Greenland! :)

Snakes are a natural part of the environment, and they DO have their place in it. :yikes:

Perhaps you don't like the looks of the snake? :)

What if I don't like YOUR looks? ;)

There are plenty of snakes here in Arizona, and I have encountered more than a few. :)

They have ALWAYS tried to get out of my way. ;)

I have been bitten a time or two, but it has ALWAYS been MY FAULT. :laughing:

Nope, I won't move to Greenland any more than I will live my life by your rules or not kill a poisonous snake that is posing a threat to me or my family. If you make the personal choice to be bitten by any snake, then that is your choice and you have every right to make it for yourself. Your rights end at the point they interfere with my rights and choices. As for liking my "looks" I could honestly care less. Your opinion of me or my insistence to live my life my way means absolutely nothing to me [PERSONAL ATTACKS AND POTTY LANGUAGE REMOVED BY MODERATOR.] None of this really has anything to do with the input I posted about common courtesy toward fellow cachers though.

Edited by Keystone

Not too different experiences...just much different reactions evidently. We have plenty of snakes around here including rattlesnakes. Why would you shoot an animal that wasn't posing any threat to you?

I can't see how a snake which was sitting as still as a fake one holding a cache container would be considered dangerous. If you have time to draw and aim a gun, I'd think you'd have time to see that the snake wasn't moving and wasn't trying to strike you.

I've killed a coral snake on my front doorstep, but never felt the need to kill the ones I've seen out in the woods. I just stood back and watched them slither off about their business.

Not too different experiences...just much different reactions evidently. We have plenty of snakes around here including rattlesnakes. Why would you shoot an animal that wasn't posing any threat to you?

I can't see how a snake which was sitting as still as a fake one holding a cache container would be considered dangerous. If you have time to draw and aim a gun, I'd think you'd have time to see that the snake wasn't moving and wasn't trying to strike you.

I've killed a coral snake on my front doorstep, but never felt the need to kill the ones I've seen out in the woods. I just stood back and watched them slither off about their business.

If you take a minute to read my posts you will see that I did include "REALISTIC" as well as "posing a threat" in a later post. Maybe my original oversight lead to this thread being taken out of context. I don't go a mile out of my way to kill rattlesnakes any more that I do bears, mountain lion or any other potentially life threatening animal all of which inhabit Idaho. I will not stand by and be bitten or attacked either though and if a "DANGEROUS SITUATION" arose while caching I would kill the animal without hesitation. In my area I envision this snake cache being placed in heavy timber or sagebrush where it is common to see large rattlesnakes and in this instance, especially if my small child is along, then the animal isn't going to get the benifit of the doubt. This is why I origionaly said give the cacher the oportunity to decide for themselves if they want to go after the cache. To illustrate my point one should consider the famed Grizzly Man who was eaten by the Grizzly bears he so loved. Perhaps he could have done them more good with a tad more common sense and a tad less willingness to be eaten for the cause. Another thing which may be worth considering is what if a fellow cacher had an accident caused by this "harmless" cache. Lets see a show of hands from everyone who is going to pick up the medical costs.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

If you take a minute to read my posts you will see that I did include "REALISTIC" as well as "posing a threat" in a later post. Maybe my original oversight lead to this thread being taken out of context. I don't go a mile out of my way to kill rattlesnakes any more that I do bears, mountain lion or any other potentially life threatening animal all of which inhabit Idaho. I will not stand by and be bitten or attacked either though and if a "DANGEROUS SITUATION" arose while caching I would kill the animal without hesitation. In my area I envision this snake cache being placed in heavy timber or sagebrush where it is common to see large rattlesnakes and in this instance, especially if my small child is along, then the animal isn't going to get the benifit of the doubt. This is why I origionaly said give the cacher the oportunity to decide for themselves if they want to go after the cache. To illustrate my point one should consider the famed Grizzly Man who was eaten by the Grizzly bears he so loved. Perhaps he could have done them more good with a tad more common sense and a tad less willingness to be eaten for the cause. Another thing which may be worth considering is what if a fellow cacher had an accident caused by this "harmless" cache. Lets see a show of hands from everyone who is going to pick up the medical costs.

I don't think anyone asked you to crawl into the known snake-den to recover the cache, did they?

By all means, if your child is in danger of being bitten/attacked by a poisonous creature, then you must dispatch the creature with all possible speed.

On the other hand, how did your child come to be in such a precarious situation in the first place? Was it the snake's (or whatever dangerous creature you care to substitute) fault your child was allowed to approach so closely?

The 'Grizzly Man' was psychotic. Are you psychotic? I doubt it.

I don't think anyone asked you to crawl into the known snake-den to recover the cache, did they?

By all means, if your child is in danger of being bitten/attacked by a poisonous creature, then you must dispatch the creature with all possible speed.

On the other hand, how did your child come to be in such a precarious situation in the first place? Was it the snake's (or whatever dangerous creature you care to substitute) fault your child was allowed to approach so closely?

The 'Grizzly Man' was psychotic. Are you psychotic? I doubt it.

Actually they did. The person setting the cache is listing it on the sight with the knowledge that this is an invitation to fellow cachers to visit the cache. My original post did not say don't place the cache but rather give a warning of some sort to fellow cachers that it may scare or offend some. Not everyone lives in a city and I will not keep my child out of the wilderness so that every snake in the world gets it's equal rights. I will enter the wilderness prepared for any eventuality and react to every situation I encounter with safety for myself and family in mind. The Grizzly Man, who's mental state is perhaps open for debate, was just another example of the new age belief that every organism on the planet can coexist without conflict and I think his experience may show that this is not always the case. It may also illustrate that I am not alone in my belief in the sanctity of human life based on the fact that the Grizzly bear in question was destroyed by the State of Alaska. I am still waiting for a show of hands from everyone who is going to step up and cover the medical expenses of anyone injured by such a cache.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

This is what a good walking stick is handy for. If a snake doesn't move away when I approach, he finds himself 'flipped' fang over rattles far enough away to pose no threat to me. Of course if it is a cache and not a snake, then the cache may not be located at posted coordinates anymore.......... :)

(edited to say: no snakes are actually harmed by 'flipping', I think they like the sensation of a short flight)

Edited by DaFunkyFrogs

Snakes are a natural part of the environment, and they DO have their place in it. :yikes:

Perhaps you don't like the looks of the snake? :)

What if I don't like YOUR looks? ;)

There are plenty of snakes here in Arizona, and I have encountered more than a few. :)

They have ALWAYS tried to get out of my way. ;)

I have been bitten a time or two, but it has ALWAYS been MY FAULT. :laughing:

Nope, I won't move to Greenland any more than I will live my life by your rules or not kill a poisonous snake that is posing a threat to me or my family. If you make the personal choice to be bitten by any snake, then that is your choice and you have every right to make it for yourself. Your rights end at the point they interfere with my rights and choices. As for liking my "looks" I could honestly care less. Your opinion of me or my insistence to live my life my way means absolutely nothing to me and your belief that it somehow should is ridiculous. So take your little mad face and shove it in your arse. None of this really has anything to do with the input I posted about common courtesy toward fellow cachers though.

My opinion is that your responses are just a bit over the top. Your points are valid, as are the points made by other posters. Here in these forums you don't win by being the biggest, baddest dude on the block, able to shout down everyone else. This is supposed to be a place to share thoughts and opinions and respect other points of view. I am pretty sure there are many cachers other than yourself frequenting the forums who have a fair amount of experience in the outdoors.

I don't see anyone trying to impose their rules on you. This is about a request for an opinion. You have yours. I have mine. Every cacher has their own.

I find the last line in your post to be incredibly ironic considering the line before it.

What if a snake really is near by. In their haste to find the cache, our Geo-tykes might not be able to tell the difference.

The one that hasn't moved for several minutes can be assumed to be the cache. The one that is vibrating its tail at a rapid rate and making a sound like air escaping from a tyre is the one that is potentially dangerous.

The two are not hard to distinguish.

if I came across a "REALISTIC" rattlesnake in my area I would shoot it and therefore destroy the cache. If I knew in advance that the cache had some fright element, it may avoid issues for the cache owner.

That would indeed be tragic. But not nearly as tragic as the shooting of a real live but INNOCENT snake that was not posing any more threat to you than the threat you perceive by its very existence.

I am not much of a fan of "shoot first and ask questions later." I prefer "positively identify your target and be aware of your backstop." I don't see the point in shooting a motionless, quiet object that merely RESEMBLES a live and (potentially) dangerous animal unless it is deliberately set up on a target range.

Sucks to be an animal that is so feared that simply being seen is considered a "threat."

Why shoot a snake just because it's a snake? :(

Snakes are a natural part of the environment, and they DO have their place in it. :)

Perhaps you don't like the looks of the snake? :o

There are plenty of snakes here in Arizona, and I have encountered more than a few. B)

They have ALWAYS tried to get out of my way. :)

I have been bitten a time or two, but it has ALWAYS been MY FAULT. :)

Nope, I won't move to Greenland any more than I will live my life by your rules or not kill a poisonous snake that is posing a threat to me or my family. If you make the personal choice to be bitten by any snake, then that is your choice and you have every right to make it for yourself. Your rights end at the point they interfere with my rights and choices. As for liking my "looks" I could honestly care less. Your opinion of me or my insistence to live my life my way means absolutely nothing to me and your belief that it somehow should is ridiculous. So take your little mad face and shove it in your arse. None of this really has anything to do with the input I posted about common courtesy toward fellow cachers though.

My opinion is that your responses are just a bit over the top. Your points are valid, as are the points made by other posters. Here in these forums you don't win by being the biggest, baddest dude on the block, able to shout down everyone else. This is supposed to be a place to share thoughts and opinions and respect other points of view. I am pretty sure there are many cachers other than yourself frequenting the forums who have a fair amount of experience in the outdoors.

I don't see anyone trying to impose their rules on you. This is about a request for an opinion. You have yours. I have mine. Every cacher has their own.

I find the last line in your post to be incredibly ironic considering the line before it.

I offered honest "input" to a post and backed that input up with a possible outcome. Not a rule or requirement just my opinion. I do not tell people how to live their lives until they interfere with my ability to live mine. I clearly stated this concept above and if you will read the thread impartially you will see this. If you choose to selectively read the thread you can make it say whatever you want it to say, I am sure.

What if I don't like YOUR looks? :mad:

Common courtesy is a two way street and people get what they give. If someone personally attacks me then they are obviously looking for an argument otherwise there are better ways to disagree, such as saying something along the lines of, I disagree or even by offering "your" honest input and letting the original poster sort out what works for them.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

That's just wrong. I've spent most of my life a rattler country. I would never do that. They do far more good than harm. I have caught plenty of them and moved them to better locations so that they and their human neighbors don't get hurt but I've never killed one.

The off topic side conversation with Krieg's Bones is finished. Let's stick to the topic, which is to discuss fake snake caches. If you want to discuss the ethics of killing snakes, a wonderful off topic forum eagerly awaits your visit.

Thank you.

For those that will shoot the cache because it looks real... if you don't realize that the snake is fake (and not moving) in the time that it takes to draw and aim you weapon, then we have bigger issues.

As far as the original question, it has been done before. But not as often as a micro under lamp posts or ammo can under a pile of rocks on a hillside.

Go for it.

Actually they did. The person setting the cache is listing it on the sight with the knowledge that this is an invitation to fellow cachers to visit the cache. My original post did not say don't place the cache but rather give a warning of some sort to fellow cachers that it may scare or offend some. Not everyone lives in a city and I will not keep my child out of the wilderness so that every snake in the world gets it's equal rights. I will enter the wilderness prepared for any eventuality and react to every situation I encounter with safety for myself and family in mind. The Grizzly Man, who's mental state is perhaps open for debate, was just another example of the new age belief that every organism on the planet can coexist without conflict and I think his experience may show that this is not always the case. It may also illustrate that I am not alone in my belief in the sanctity of human life based on the fact that the Grizzly bear in question was destroyed by the State of Alaska. I am still waiting for a show of hands from everyone who is going to step up and cover the medical expenses of anyone injured by such a cache.

You are absolutely positively WRONG!! That bear was not killed for attacking Timothy Treadwell nor was it killed by the State of Alaska. In fact most experts don't even think it was the bear that killed him, but just a young bear feeding on a carcass it had found. The bear that was shot was killed because it attacked the NPS rangers who found the camp site and disturbed a feeding bear.

Timothy Treadwell was an idiot. Everyone in Alaska will tell you that. In fact the rangers went to his camp to arrest him because he had been violating park policy concern bear/human interaction. (BTW I am an Alaska resident and was living there when all that happened.)

As for the rattlesnake thing. My kids have fun snakes in human environments before. My youngest daughter who was then three, found a young rattler crawl across a sidewalk right outside a lodge in Oklahoma where we were having a family reunion. Instead of poking it with sticks like the other kids, she came and told me. I caught it and moved to a safe place. Many of my cousins want me to kill it even though it was already caught and no threat. The point is, even a three year old should know how to act around wild things and should respect them for what they are. Our problems with the 'wild' is caused more often by our own ignorance of nature than anything else.

As far as paying for the medical expenses.... I'll do it. I will pay for ALL expenses for anyone injured by such a cache.

The off topic side conversation with Krieg's Bones is finished. Let's stick to the topic, which is to discuss fake snake caches. If you want to discuss the ethics of killing snakes, a wonderful off topic forum eagerly awaits your visit.

Thank you.

OK.

I'm done anyway.

On topic:

Go for it. It's worked before. Why shouldn't it work again.

Most species of rattlesnakes are not aggressive. They are VERY misunderstood! 95% of people who get bitten by rattlesnakes get bitten by trying to handle them. Almost all bites are on the hands and arms . . . The snakes are actually quite harmless. There is no need to shoot them, if given a chance, they would rather escape, but it is only when they are cornered that they strike.

I have a cache that is a 32" rubber timber rattler in a hollow log. It has a bison tube with the log in it's mouth. I get the best logs from that cache :mad:

I have been to this cache, and my heart did feel like it was going to beat out of my chest because you almost need a flashlight to look down in the log. It got a good laugh out of my roommate and I. I have one other roommate to take there . . . Because he deserves it! :)

On topic: I think you should do it! Cachers may be scared at first, but they will soon laugh about the cache. 89SC's hasn't been shot yet!

Edited by sequens_vitae_mortem

Not a bad idea. As long as it doesn't lull people into a false sense of security. They see yours and then later see a snake and reach down asuming it's fake and......zap! Could happen.

And an example Darwin's theory will be shown.

I've reached into and touched a lot of things that I normally wouldn't have if not looking for a geocache. I figure any time I get bitten, stung, scratched, or otherwise injured because I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing, it's my own fault. Nature has a wonderful way of teaching you little lessons like that....do this, get hurt, don't do it again. :)

Edited by KoosKoos

I would be concerned about the realism factor but lets face it, it it looks real enough, it may get damaged. Any sensible cacher in snake territory will know to approach with caution and to be sure the snake is fake before getting in striking range. I was a Park Ranger for a dozen years and know a thing or two about rattlers. They are tasty on the BBQ with a light seasoning! BUT! Many have learned to survive by not making a sound. Unfortunately, this is also why some people are bitten. When I come across a Rattler now, two in the last week, I stir it up so it knows that when it senses a human coming to give warning. It seems like some of them need to be taught to use their rattles.

Every time I leave the pavement in search of a cache I expose myself to many dangers. Venomous snakes and poisonous plants are among those. If you're hiking in a place that has those dangers (read All of N America), you should be prepared to meet them.

Rattlebugs don't bother me much. I usually approach from the proper direction and keep out of strike range.

If I do shoot one it's to eat. Grilled is a sure winner.

The trifecta would be finding a live rattlesnake trying to mate with the fake rattlesnake cache and being FTF on the cache.

Every time I leave the pavement in search of a cache I expose myself to many dangers. Venomous snakes and poisonous plants are among those. If you're hiking in a place that has those dangers (read All of N America), you should be prepared to meet them.

Rattlebugs don't bother me much. I usually approach from the proper direction and keep out of strike range.

If I do shoot one it's to eat. Grilled is a sure winner.

The trifecta would be finding a live rattlesnake trying to mate with the fake rattlesnake cache and being FTF on the cache.

Not in Alaska. :D There are no poisonous plants or animals there. ;)

The wildlife there just runs you down and either tramples you or eats you. :)B)

:)

:)

:(:)

In closing, I'd like to say;

I've found a:

fake snake cache

a few fake frog caches

two fake rat caches

several fake spider caches

and God knows how many fake whatever else caches.

In two cases, I have found a real, live rattlesnake coiled up on top of the cache.

In no case did I feel the need to pull my piece and blast anything.

Go ahead and hide your fake snake cache. I'll bet the locals will get a kick out of it, with rave reviews.

Edited by AZcachemeister

A cache in my area was an ammo can that was tucked under a small overhang. Attached to the can was a three foot piece of monfiliment line and the other end was attached to a realistic looking rattler.

The can was placed in such a way that you were forced to pull it out further then the three feet to open it. I f you think about how quickly you pick up an ammo can, you can imagine how quickly the snake would come out of the hole after you.

We knew when the can was found because the marine that found it shrieked and threw the can about ten feet when he let go of it.

I can honestly say I was very glad I wasn't the one that found this particular cache.

Maybe if you set the fake non-moving snake on a target. I like the black ones that turn orange where you hit, but a paper plate with a few concentric circles works just as well.

second thought... if you put it on a paper plate, some people may think it's dinner. :wub:

hey just wanting to get some input from some fellow cachers on this idea of a fake rattlesnake as a cache. the tube is on the back of the snake but the snake itself is in the attack position. just wondering if this would be a good idea or not.

I think that would be hilarious but I'm a big fan of creepy crawlies and a chance encounter with a ticked off rattlesnake would not deter me too much. I'd keep my distance, realize it wasn't alive, then think "Hmm, fake snake very close to cache coordinates? Maybe I'll take a look!"

It's the caches with things inside that move or jump out at you that get me. I almost ruined my pants at a rattlesnake themed cache where a springy, noise making snake jumped out of the pill bottle!