"Northeast" forum to be renamed "Mid-Atlantic" forum.

MissJenn

Soon, this section of the Groundspeak Forum will be renamed "Mid-Atlantic" rather than the current "Northeast." It makes sense to do it that way, and has been suggested numerous times over the years. It will still contain the same states. Just a nomenclature change.

Enjoy your new/same forum!! :rolleyes:

Whatever. Those of us truly living in the Northeast don't seem to care. But does this satisfy the Virginia's?

How many of us grouped together here has ever identified ourselvs as being from the "Mid-Atlantic"?

I never have, and never will.

Not me. I don't believe New York is a "Mid-Atlantic" state. I'm Northeast!

Maybe the forum should be Northeast/Mid-Atlantic :)

We tried to rename the forum "New Jersey and a few other places nearby, when the people there can get a word in edgewise." But it wouldn't fit on one line, so we settled for Mid-Atlantic.

I'm now lobbying Groundspeak to change "Great Plains" to "Pretty Good Plains" so that we will be at the very top of the Regional list.

Whatever. Those of us truly living in the Northeast don't seem to care. But does this satisfy the Virginia's?

How many of us grouped together here has ever identified ourselvs as being from the "Mid-Atlantic"?

Actually, last time it was discussed, I believe it was determined that New York is a mid-atlantic state. According to wikipedia. So it has to be true.

Well, at least one guy from Virginia will be happy. As well as some piano playing guy with zero finds from Virginia, although somehow I have the feeling he's not a real person. :mad:

Maybe the forum should be Northeast/Mid-Atlantic :mad:

Actually, last time it was discussed, I believe it was determined that New York is a mid-atlantic state. According to wikipedia. So it has to be true.

Well, at least one guy from Virginia will be happy. As well as some piano playing guy with zero finds from Virginia, although somehow I have the feeling he's not a real person. :)

Blah! Wikipedia hasn't done the research! :o

There is some controversy as to what the mid Atlantic states are. The Census Bureau says NY,PA and NJ . Others add DE, MD, VA and WVA to that. The NY TImes says NY,PA,NJ, MD, WVA and DE, but no VA. I've seen

PA,NJ, MD WVA, VA and DE, but no NY.

Wikipedia shows this map, which says VA and WVA are considered to be Mid Atlantic by some:

300px-US_map-Mid-Atlantic_region.png

Here is another map. Looks like Texas is going to have to be moved!!!

regional1.gif

Any way you stack it, calling this forum mid Atlantic rather than Northeast is more accurate. No place where they serve grits and biscuts and gravy and drink Coke for breakfest belongs in a northeast forum. Particularly the home state of Robert E. Lee

Edited by briansnat

We tried to rename the forum "New Jersey and a few other places nearby, when the people there can get a word in edgewise." But it wouldn't fit on one line, so we settled for Mid-Atlantic.

I'm now lobbying Groundspeak to change "Great Plains" to "Pretty Good Plains" so that we will be at the very top of the Regional list.

While we are pointing out regional name corrections, don't forget to change the Northwest to Mid-Pacific. We gotta have consistency.

Well, at least one guy from Virginia will be happy. As well as some piano playing guy with zero finds from Virginia, although somehow I have the feeling he's not a real person. :)

I guess NY is as much a Mid-Atlantic state as Virginia is a Northeast state :)

But since it's not a New England state and all the non-New England states bordering it are Mid-Atlantic, where else would it go? :(

Of course WU, some say your neck of the state is the "Midwest" ;) (My sister moved there from our part of the state over 15 years ago and now she says "pop" instead of "soda", yikes! :) )

To my mind NY, NJ, and PA have always been "North Eastern" states. Some argument can be made over what is a "Southern" state and what is in the "Deep South". Why anyone would put VA in the same catagory as NY I'll never understand. I grew up in "Western" NY and I lived in VA for a year. I had to move back. Those people In VA don't even speak our language! :blink:

I never have understood how Groundspeak divide the states up for the forums. I guess I just assumed it was done for population reasons. But now that I actually think about it that doesn't seem to make any sense.

Well, I've thought about it more than it deserves now :D so time to move on.

In like 4th grade geography I remember being told that the "Mid-Atlantic" region was NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD and DC. Virginia was "the South" but I guess it could be tricky since the "cultural" Northeast (or what's more accurately the region called "Megalopolis" which is just the area from Boston to DC) extends into the corner of VA near Washington, DC (though I guess one could use the same argument to call the SW corner of Connecticut the Mid-Atlantic instead of New England because it's more influenced by NY City (i.e. media, sports team preferences, commuting) than it is by the rest of the "New England" region).

Of course I always found NY and PA tricky because of their size, they are kind of like Missouri to me, maybe being "in between" regions. After all, the western parts of NY and PA are near Ohio and in the case of PA West Virginia, while my part of NY and most of eastern PA (especially the southeast part) is clearly the northeast "Megalopolis" region.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Just got back from GeoJamboree up in Connecticut.

When I told people I was from New Jersey they kept calling me a southerner.

A southerner?

They were just giving you a hard time because you looked like a local CT cacher they hate.

Signed,

The husband of the woman who yelled at you because she thought you were bblhed :wub:

And no, we don't really hate him.

Much.

J/K.

Maybe?

Soon, this section of the Groundspeak Forum will be renamed "Mid-Atlantic" rather than the current "Northeast." It makes sense to do it that way

Enjoy your new/same forum!! :wub:

It does? How is New Jersey in the Mid atlantic!

Talk to the US government if you have a prob with it . They put us there :wub:

;)B);):)B)

Jersey shows up in the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News, so I guess we're mid-atlantic...

Living in suburbs of new york though, I'd usually say "Northeast" Either way, i was confused when i got here. I'll probably click New England a few more times before I get used to it.

While we're making up names like "mid-atlantic" why not make up something cooler? I don't just suggest that because it's 102 degrees in my living room, but I just think that something like... oh, let's say "Seshupogaiu" is a much cooler sounding name than "mid-atlantic". Let's get that Seshupogaiu region rollin! Better suggestions welcome. Even if you're not from New Jersey. :lol:

Jersey shows up in the Mid-Atlantic Brewing News, so I guess we're mid-atlantic...

It's always about beer with you :lol:

all it what you want. As long as we still have pork roll, I'm cool with it.

That's even more support for the new name. I found Taylor Ham in a Virginia supermarket when I was working down there.

:D Well I'm usually pretty happy to go-with-the-flow, but this one strikes me as a bit much. I thought being in the north half and eastern half of the US put us in the northeast. Mid-Atlantic? What part of PA is on the Atlantic, much less anywhere near the middle of the Atlantic? hmfh! I'm heading back to our local "northeast" forums, thank you :D:D:D

I have to say, I disagree with this name change as well. I don't know anyone that goes around touting they live in the 'mid atlantic'. Heck turn on the Weather channel, they say Northeast! And technically anything below PA, other then Delaware is considered a southern state, as the Mason Dixie line runs along PA southern border.

I applaud the courage of the Groundspeak staff on making any changes what-so-ever on the forum since change here, no matter how well intended, is usually greeted by thunderous complaints. I am just so happy that this name change did not re-ignite the North/South Jersey controversy.

To quote Shakespeare, "What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

I think it is time to go find some caches.

:D Well I'm usually pretty happy to go-with-the-flow, but this one strikes me as a bit much. I thought being in the north half and eastern half of the US put us in the northeast. ! I'm heading back to our local "northeast" forums, thank you :D:D:D

Uh, wouldn't that make New England the "northeast"? :D Since we all are in the "east" and are above the north and below the south, maybe we should be the "middle east" :D

I have to say, I disagree with this name change as well. I don't know anyone that goes around touting they live in the 'mid atlantic'. Heck turn on the Weather channel, they say Northeast! And technically anything below PA, other then Delaware is considered a southern state, as the Mason Dixie line runs along PA southern border.

That may have been true during the Civil War, but I would say in the 20th century onward the real "Mason Dixon Line" is the MD-VA line (with the exception of the VA suburbs of DC, maybe there it's anything south of a line from Manassas to Fredericksburg). Baltimore and Washington are really "culturally" more like the "megalopolis" area stretching from Boston to there than they are "the South" and Maryland and Delaware are "blue states" politically like most of the states to the north and northeast of them (and not like the states to the south of them). Even during the Civil War Maryland was a Union state even though it was south of "the line", though admittedly there was a lot of political pressure for it to not to join the Confederacy and geographically surround the Union capitol.

My question is ....WHY?

Why the change? Did someone from South of Pa.complain to GC.com about being lumped into the Northeast?

Is this another example of being PC?

I think (and this is serious, not tongue-in-cheek) that it has to do with a couple of people complaining in this forum about Groundspeak lumping Virginia into this forum. They probably should've just put them in the South, but there you go......

B) Well I'm usually pretty happy to go-with-the-flow, but this one strikes me as a bit much. I thought being in the north half and eastern half of the US put us in the northeast. ! I'm heading back to our local "northeast" forums, thank you :D:D:D

Uh, wouldn't that make New England the "northeast"? :D Since we all are in the "east" and are above the north and below the south, maybe we should be the "middle east" :D

That's right! New England is a "sub-division" of the North East! :D:D:o

Reading this thread and seeing the various reactions and various assumptions makes me laugh. Best to stick to reading the humorous responses. Oh wait: they're all humorous responses. :o

Cardinal Red,

For a guy who opened up with "Whatever" as your response, you sure had a lot more feelings.

olbluesguy,

Your answer is in the first post.

Frodo Underhill,

Thanks.

And to everyone,

Happy Geocaching!