Map60cx Vs Legend Hcx

First post and pretty new to the site. Other than the bigger screen and a little more storage, what advantages does the 60cx hold over the Legend Hcx?

Thanks

The GPSMap 60Cx has a SiRFStar III chipset, the Legend HCx does not. AFAIK, the SiRF chip is better, (more accurate) and I still regret the day I sold my 60Cx on.

You are right in that the Legend HCx does not have the sirfstarIII chip but you are wrong when you say the sirfstar is better than the media tek (chip in the HCx), the Legend chip is at least as good as the 60CSx and my tests and every other test I've seen put the Media Tek chip in front by a whisker. But the point is that the Legend chip is not inferior.

The button layout and the spongy buttons themselves and the bad ergonomic design make the 60CSx a bit of a bear to use. Notice that the new Colorado uses a bigass version of the eTrex click stick, where the 'enter' button is in the centre of the scroll stick/wheel. You know it makes sense.

The screen on the 60 is 10% bigger but there are 10% more pixels on the hcx so it's much of a muchness. Hold the HCx one inch closer and it's the same effective size with better resolution and a much much brighter screen with better battery life as well.

You can now see how unnecessarily large the 60CSx is because the screen on the Colorado is twice the size whereas without being a larger unit. So the HCx makes more sense, it has a screen effectively as large as the 60csx but in a smaller, lighter overall package.

Not looking like a dork with a walkie talkie, when navigating in a city, is a nice bonus of the etrex too!

@tcaddis, can you check a button shortcut on your legend that I just discovered on my hcx, I'm curious to see if it was there in those days.

When you are entering an address in the keyboard, and you see a list containing the word you are looking for, does the 'Zoom In' button function like the 'OK' key on the keyboard?

I have the 60CSx, and I recently purchased the Legend HCx for my wife (caching partner). So, I have the benefit of having used both! As previously mentioned, the Legend HCx does have the high sensitivity chip, albeit a different model than what is in the 60CSx. In my non-technical experience with both of these units, the Legend HCx appears to grab a sat lock a little quicker than my 60. We are, however, talking mere moments here...nothing that would steer me toward one over the other. Also, the 60CSx has the electronic compass and barometer, if that is important to you, while the Legend HCx does not.

The best thing to do is head on down to your local retailer, and try them both out. See which one feels best in your hand. I have fairly large hands, and the 60CSx just feels more at home in my paws. Others have made mention of the spongy buttons on the 60, but I have never found that to be an issue. Perhaps it is just because that is what I am used to. The Legend HCx, however, can be had for quite a bit less than the 60. I was able to latch onto the Legend HCx, bundled with City Navigator NT 2008 and an auto mount, for less than $200. Bottom line...both are great units, and you would no doubt be happy with either.

I have the 60CSx, and I recently purchased the Legend HCx for my wife (caching partner). So, I have the benefit of having used both! As previously mentioned, the Legend HCx does have the high sensitivity chip, albeit a different model than what is in the 60CSx. In my non-technical experience with both of these units, the Legend HCx appears to grab a sat lock a little quicker than my 60. We are, however, talking mere moments here...nothing that would steer me toward one over the other. Also, the 60CSx has the electronic compass and barometer, if that is important to you, while the Legend HCx does not.

The best thing to do is head on down to your local retailer, and try them both out. See which one feels best in your hand. I have fairly large hands, and the 60CSx just feels more at home in my paws. Others have made mention of the spongy buttons on the 60, but I have never found that to be an issue. Perhaps it is just because that is what I am used to. The Legend HCx, however, can be had for quite a bit less than the 60. I was able to latch onto the Legend HCx, bundled with City Navigator NT 2008 and an auto mount, for less than $200. Bottom line...both are great units, and you would no doubt be happy with either.

My husband uses his gps to navigate while driving a semi-- He very much prefers the layout on the 60 model because the buttons are on the front.

With the Legend, he had to hold the unit in his hand to steady it while pushing on the button from the opposite direction. He also has large hands and plays bass guitar (so he has callouses on his fingertips), and found it challenging to locate and push the teeny little recessed buttons on the Legend style body by touch.

With the 60 he can leave the unit in it's holder and tap the button--much safer for everyone concerned!

I also found the buttons and the click stick on the Legend body would make my fingertips sore by the end of a long day of zooming in and out--though I am weird in that I did miss my click stick at first (I know most people say they despise it). I've adjusted now to the rocker and I love my 60 CSx; I wouldn't trade it for any other (consumer grade) model out there.

I've found the chipset to be remarkably accurate in the 60 CSx. We've cached with people who had every other model available and our 60CSx usually locates the cache first--if only by an instant. Really any of the high sensitivity chips are very good.

I also use the compass and barometer on the 60 CSx, although I'd guess most people don't. You can get a Legend style body that includes the compass and barometer (the Vista HCx).

If the other features aren't important to you, it's really a matter of how it feels to use the model. You really have to hold both in your hands to see which you prefer, I think.

Nemo, did you happen to purchase your unit off ebay? I just made the same bundle purchase for $170 off ebay from quackquack and see that it shipped today. Anxious to get it hopefully this weekend. I was wondering if your bundle came with the DVD or the preloaded City navigator because I would guess mine will be like yours. I am hoping it is on DVD.

Jeff

I went the the 60Csx because

a) A larger screen is still a larger screen. A 20" HD TV may have as many pixels as a 60" HD TV, the the 60" is still more impressive. In more practical terms, the screen on my 60Csx is still a bit too small when it's on my dash; smaller with more pixels would be worse, not better.

:) I wanted a unit that I could tell my wife "Press the XYZ button" while I was driving rather than "Press the button on the side".

-murray

@tcaddis, can you check a button shortcut on your legend that I just discovered on my hcx, I'm curious to see if it was there in those days.

When you are entering an address in the keyboard, and you see a list containing the word you are looking for, does the 'Zoom In' button function like the 'OK' key on the keyboard?

Gallet, The zoom in button does not work as an enter button, but the find button does.