Need a cache solution

I found a great location for a cache in a sign that I can place in the inside corner, so I painted the cache and set up everything to be velcro. Unfortunately the inside of the sign isn't accepting the velcro very well and the cache will not stick. I thought about stapling the velcro on there, but I think that might be pushing the do not deface too much. (It would be inside and not affect the sign in any way though.) Anyone have any idea how I can get this to "stick" up there? If I didn't love this location so much I think I would just find a new place for it... Thanks for any suggestions!

JR

Edited by Jolly Roger

Assuming you have permission, try superglue or gorilla glue on the back side of the one piece. let it sit for a day before attaching the other piece that is on the cache. If it is a metal sign, have you though about magnets?

If you told us what kind of sign it is, that might help us a little better.

So long as the state has no qualms, I would use staples to affix the velcro to the sign. It's been my experience that dang near every glue, (including super glue and gorilla glue), won't survive the repeated tugging required to remove the cache. If there's any metal near where you're gonna hide the cache, you might try rare earth magnets?

If it's a wooden sign, you could glue a small piece of metal (can lid cut to size works great) to the sign, and then glue a magnet to the cache. It doesn't take as much force to remove the magnetic cache as the velcro would, so gorilla glue would work just fine. (people would have a tough time looking for a magnetic cache in a wooden sign too :rolleyes: )

One thing to remember with velcro, is that the piece glued on the sign should be the biggest piece, and the piece on the cache container should be small as possible. that way you aren't pulling very hard on the "anchor" to remove the cache so it should stay put better. Magnets are better by far if possible.

Good Luck!

Watch using too aggressive of an adhesive as you will run into the same problem as staples.

My first inclination is to use a larger container and place nearby.

...but if you have to insist on hanging something on that sign then, well, a hanger would have to be in order. A wire or metal hanger attached to the container to loops just over the top edge of the sign should work if it is right in the corner as you say. It shouldn't need to be visible from the front.

Of course, I don't know how tall the sign is. The above might not work well if the top of the sign is more than 6' off the ground as the hook might have to be too long to keep the cache secure.

I've found velcro to almost universally be a bad choice for attachments outdoors.

First, I would make sure that the spot where I am trying to stick the velcro is as clean as possible. You might try giving it a rub with an alcohol wipe. Second, you might try a different kind of velcro. We've had good luck with the 'industrial strength' velcro.

My first inclination is to use a larger container and place nearby.

That's my first suggestion as well. If you want to use the sign in the cache then use the sign as the starting point for an offset multi-cache and hide the actual container some distance away where you wont have to worry about defacing the sign.