Number Scratched Out

Dukeyduke

I recently found a beautiful Geocoin that I am unable to log because somebody scratched the number off! I have tried to guess at the numbers based on the rough shape of them (is that a D or a P or a B? etc) but I can't figure it out. I tried sending an email to the owner but there was no responce and it seems like they sold a bunch of them so it could belong to anyone. Does anybody have any advice?

It's very common for error or mistake coins to have the numbers scratched out. Owners will grind out the tracking code, and reuse it on a mint restrike.

I know on my coins that I made, I grind off the "trackable at geocaching.com" and "tracking code bar" and mark them as cache swag, and leave them all over.

TMA

It's very common for error or mistake coins to have the numbers scratched out. Owners will grind out the tracking code, and reuse it on a mint restrike.

I know on my coins that I made, I grind off the "trackable at geocaching.com" and "tracking code bar" and mark them as cache swag, and leave them all over.

TMA

Had some errors occur on some of ours but they were pitched........rather than go throught the grinding out of all that should be......for our event we got some error coins with numbers ground off donated and they were very cool.......and we appreciated that donation.

If the number is gone - not readable and clearly has been obliterated - best to say just classy swag - IMHO.

When we have errors on trackable geocoins we send them to the metal recycling rather than have them get into caches and cause confusion. If a coin says 'trackable at geocaching.com' then it really should be IMHO. As The Moop Along has said, both the tracking number and the 'trackable at geocaching.com' should be obliterated and even then it's going to look suspiciously like someone has vandalized your coin unless you make custom packaging to say that the owner has done the damage and that the coin is 'swag'. All-in-all it's a big project just to send out scratched up swag, isn't it? Why not throw them out, but make a list of the tracking numbers first so you can re-use them?

When we have errors on trackable geocoins we send them to the metal recycling rather than have them get into caches and cause confusion. If a coin says 'trackable at geocaching.com' then it really should be IMHO. As The Moop Along has said, both the tracking number and the 'trackable at geocaching.com' should be obliterated and even then it's going to look suspiciously like someone has vandalized your coin unless you make custom packaging to say that the owner has done the damage and that the coin is 'swag'. All-in-all it's a big project just to send out scratched up swag, isn't it? Why not throw them out, but make a list of the tracking numbers first so you can re-use them?

It's a big project. I do a few here and there while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. Then I note the coin flips with a sharpie, so that everyone's on board. What can I say? I'm nuts :grin:

....while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. What can I say? :grin:

May I send you some silverware? :D:grin:

....while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. What can I say? :D

May I send you some silverware? B):grin:

So grammar wasn't on my side tonight. I've been sitting here with some stiff drinks in my Red Wings 1953-54 Championship mug, waiting patiently for my Wings to earn another of Lord Stanley's trophies. Priorities :grin:

....while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. What can I say? :grin:

May I send you some silverware? :D:grin:

You may now come and clean off my screen, thank you very much.

....while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. What can I say? :rolleyes:

May I send you some silverware? :lol::lol:

You may now come and clean off my screen, thank you very much.

Yes, I felt the spray up here in Victoria - and it wasn't blowing in off the Pacific!

I'm just glad it wasn't sprayin' pasta :o;)

TMA

Had some errors occur on some of ours but they were pitched........rather than go throught the grinding out of all that should be......for our event we got some error coins with numbers ground off donated and they were very cool.......and we appreciated that donation.

If the number is gone - not readable and clearly has been obliterated - best to say just classy swag - IMHO.

I work in a metal fabrication shop Send one my way and I will try to polish out the codes and Geocache lettering. :rolleyes:

TMA

I work in a metal fabrication shop Send one my way and I will try to polish out the codes and Geocache lettering. :rolleyes:

It's a big project. I do a few here and there while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. Then I note the coin flips with a sharpie, so that everyone's on board. What can I say? I'm nuts :blink:

No. not nuts at all. If you're handy with a dremel, you can make the changes in a very profesional way, and coins are so expensive it would be a shame to throw them in the trash. Reduce, Reuse, recycle!!!

It's a big project. I do a few here and there while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel.

I'm sorry that you're That lonely. Or do you get kicked out to the dog house that often? ( Maybe a shower would help :P:D:blink: )

What's lonely about that?? I've had many great cups of coffee with MY dremel. I like to take my dremel, and an AC/DC inverter, plug it into the car, park by the river, and run an extension cord to the shore, then do my dremel work there(and don't have to worry about where all the wood dust goes). It's so romantic...

It's a big project. I do a few here and there while I'm eating dinner with my Dremel. Then I note the coin flips with a sharpie, so that everyone's on board. What can I say? I'm nuts :blink:

First off, I'd like to say God bless the Dremel; it has changed our lives forever. I work with one pretty much on a daily basis and don't know how we've ever done without. Secondly, Most of the comments about it being a defect coin beat me to the punch. When the OP started to describe the nubers being scratched out, that was the first thing that came to my mind. You might want to contact OshnDoc (who frequents this forum and could be reached via PM) and ask if he might have released a 2007 number 282 as swag with the numbers scratched out.

I think it is a great idea to release such coins as swag. Granted, it might mean that good people like "The Moop Along" end up consuming the occasional brass shaving with his dinner, but it is a way for lucky cachers to see and hold coins first hand that they might otherwise not have seen. I remember Tsunrisebey doing this with some of her 2008 Earth Turtles that did not meet her standards from the minter. They may not have been pristine, but you could drive a Mack Truck over them and they will still be beautiful. I agree with WRITE SHOP ROBERT: "it would be a shame to throw them in the trash. Reduce, Reuse, recycle!!!"

Finally, I also think The Moop Along was spot on to write on the coin flip what his coins were. If this coin had been so marked, it would have alleviated the confusion for the OP if this is in fact an error coin.

Edited by nashuan

I have sent 2 emails to OshNDoc and have not heard anything back. I have also searched the inventory of all of the caches that I did in that area and it was not there. I then did a few trackable searchs in the hopes of coming up with it and it was not there. Thanks for the feedback.