eee pc as gps?

Wolvaroo

I used to geocache a bit with a family friend long back and thought it might be a fun way to spend time with the missus now that summer is upon us.

I've seen those usb gps receivers somewhere before and was wondering how practical they could be and if the hardware/software would run on linux.

I realize a cheap handheld would be much less cumbersome, but I'd likely have the laptop with me anyway with cache information saved on it. And I'm trying to avoid spending too much untill I know it's something she'll enjoy and want to do often enough.

If it's not a good option I was looking at the garmin etrex venture HC as a kinda cheap starter.

Edited by Wolvaroo

Welcome to the Forums! :grin:

Getting a Venture HC, Legend HCx, or Vista HCx would be a better way to start this activity than trying to use the laptop. You can get an inexpenisve Palm, like a Palm m500, and keep all the cache info on that in Cachemate.

For "paperless" caching to be truly viable, you need to become a Premium Member, so you can get the .gpx files from the cache pages, or in Pocket Queries.

Edited by Miragee

I don't use any caching software on the PC. I write my own scripts/bat and use GPSBabel which states:

GPSBabel runs on Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and Vista plus POSIX OSes such as Linux, UnixWare, OpenServer, Solaris, FreeBSD, and OSX.

Since you will have the laptop and the cache info with you..... As for the GPS Device, my grandson has been using a $50 Garmin Geko for four years and often beats me to the find.

But, you must enter the coordinates by hand and that is error prone so a device that can "download" waypoint coordinates is more reliable.

GPS Babel can write to the USB port or the Serial Port as well as create a file on a memory card in the needed format for most downloadable devices.

Find it: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Welcome to the Forums! :grin:

Getting a Venture HC, Legend HCx, or Vista HCx would be a better way to start this activity than trying to use the laptop. You can get an inexpenisve Palm, like a Palm m500, and keep all the cache info on that in Cachemate.

For "paperless" caching to be truly viable, you need to become a Premium Member, so you can get the .gpx files from the cache pages, or in create Pocket Queries.

Perhaps something like this or this would kill both birds? Or are regular handheld GPSrs significantly more accurate?

Edited by Wolvaroo

When you get out of your vehicle and try to "zero" in on a cache, you are going to want a handheld device. I use my computer in the car to get me to the location, but then a handheld is usually needed to get me to the exact spot. I used a cheap Garmin Legend for several years before upgrading.

Welcome to the Forums! :rolleyes:

For "paperless" caching to be truly viable, you need to become a Premium Member, so you can get the .gpx files from the cache pages, or in create Pocket Queries.

Perhaps something like this or this would kill both birds? Or are regular handheld GPSrs significantly more accurate?

Rather than trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole, you're best off getting a device designed with outdoor handheld use in mind. Geocaching can get pretty rough and your unit is going to get dropped, dragged through brush, rained on, snowed on, dropped in puddles, banged on rocks, you name it. A handheld GPS is built to withstand this. Palms, Laptops, Pocket PCs and automobile GPS devices are built for the office and dashboard.

Get yourself an inexpensive hand held for geocaching. The Venture HC is a good choice. If you really want to have the cache information along, a Garmin Colorado might be a good choice, even though they are still working out the kinks with those units, or get get yourself an inexpensive, used Palm on Ebay and run Cachemate on it.

Edited by briansnat