$250 budget

I'm looking to buy a GPSr to replace my ancient Garmin emap, but there are so many GPSr's out there, I can't decide which.

Features I'm looking for are:

• High sensativity (I live in the Pacific Northwest, where 90% of the terrain is covered by thick tree cover)
  • Color screen (easier to see!)
  • USB connection
  • Waterproof (the PNW is very wet!)
  • Enough roadmap ability to use for Geocaching AND travel

All of this in the $150-$250 range. I've been looking at the Etrex Vista Hcx, but reviews all say that the base map is really lacking, and map upgrades are spendy.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Going to be pretty hard in that price range.

Best unit I can suggest is the Garmin Legend HCx - can be had for around $185 but then need another $100 for mapping (if you want autorouting capability) There are some nice free maps with no routing. Color Screen, usb, rugged, long battery life, nice form factor, high sensitivity, geocaching mode etc....

Second choice would be a Venture Cx - you give up high sesitivity and are stuck with the fact it isn't manufactured anymore but they still can be found for new around $140. Add the maps.

All of this in the $150-$250 range. I've been looking at the Etrex Vista Hcx, but reviews all say that the base map is really lacking, and map upgrades are spendy.

Pretty much any handheld you can buy will have lousy base maps, so no matter what you'll need to buy the maps.

The Garmin Quest units are one of the few handhelds that come with the roueable detailed maps installed, but the Quest is out of your price range and doesn't have the high sensitivity receiver.

Your best bet is to go with the Legend HCX which you can find for around $180. Adding the City Navigator maps will bring you up to around $270 though (just saw it for $89 on Amazon).

You might want to check out kohls.com and type in garmin. They sell all of the garmin line except the colorado. Then check with fatwallet.com or slickdeals.net in thier forums when Kohls has the 30% coupons which is usually monthly and you can pick up a pretty good deal, sometime with free shipping if there is a free shipping code that month.

I had a buddy who picked up a 60CSx. It was orginally $399.99 - $119.99 (30% discount) came out to $280.00 with free shipping.

Dupe post

Garmin Legend HCX NEW available on eBay for $200.00 shipped,

Vista HCX $220 shipped. Both are map types but you can get by with the 'included' stuff for starters.

New!

Garmin GPSMap 60CSx new at Walmart for $300.

I just picked up a used 60CSx for 200 last night.

Choice of a GPS is a matter of how you intend to use it as well as cost/features. Used with a great deal of planning using online or computer based mapping software

GeoCaching and Hiking can be done well without having a mapping feature so long as you do your homework and upload routes & waypoints to your GPS from your computer.

I started a week or so ago and, in 4 days 'in the field' picked up 21 caches with a Garmin GPS II+ that I purchased in 1997. A few hours with Google earth and other free mapping programs and about all you need to do is enter the final coordinates for the cache into your gps and carry printouts or notes on your access routes.

Within your budget allocation I think your best value would be the Vista HCx but I'm too new at this to be your sole source of advice. Others will help you decide. I've only been doing computer maping since the early 90s so I'm still a novice.

I hope that's some help.

I picked up a Vista HCX "outdoor bundle" that has carrying case and TOPO 2008 for $205 (found in Walmart outdoor dept). Also have seen them go on ebay for around $200-$225 I then purchased the City Nav NT v8 for $80. I have $285 wrapped up in my Vista HCX, TOPO 2008, and City Nav NT which I feel I have covered all my GPS needs. Great on roads and Geocashing/hiking. I would lean toward the Vista because the compass and altimeter, I use mine all the time. After calibrating, they work like champ!

Good luck with the purchase!

TJ