Geocoin collecting quotes

Kealia

I was doing some reading the other day and came across some discussions about the obsession of colelcting things. In short, it said that collections are a reflection of us and that to some extend we all collect something. that something could be geocoins, sports memorabilia, pictures, sotries, etc. but they all have some type of conenction to us.

The fun is in the story of how you acquired the piece to add to your collection. Scouring stores (or in the case of geocoins websites), going to garage sales, checking the papers, etc. until you finally find that piece that you've been looking for - success! And the feeling that came along with it was euphoric, wasn't it?

You then had a piece to talk about. When people inquire about it, or even if hte ydon't, you had a story to tell about how you go it, the memory associated with it (or the person) and what it meant to you.

It went on to talk about how over time, the stories tend to become less important and the focus shifts to pure acquisition of "more". In a nutshell, we tend to put blinders on and start to get so focused on acquiring something we almost forget why we started collecting them in the first place. Interesting, I thought.

It ended with a quote (and I'm sure I'm not entirely accurate on this, sorry):

The acquisitive urge takes over and we lose sight of the beauty of the object being sought after..

(I'll try to correct the quote if/when I re-find the article I was reading)

I found it to be very interesting and based on a comment in another thread I saw where somebody rushed to buy a coin and didn't realize until much later what it was (and that they didn't want it) I found it to be very appropriate as well.

So...what other quotes do you find appropriate for geocoin collecting?

I'll start ya off with one I used a long time ago:

"A fool and his money are soon parted" :grin:

edit: typos

Edited by Kealia

Once we start collecting, the more you have, the more it gets valuable and that will stop us from responding to the present and taking on new ideas what the artists are doing now.

~David Elliott

I'm touched by the idea that when we do things that are useful and helpful - collecting these shards of spirituality - that we may be helping to bring about a healing.

~Leonard Nimoy

My last contributions and from a genuine perspective.

Hubby and I always say that we are going to hand these down to our 7 year old neice that loves to go Geocaching, when we get to old and can't go geocaching anymore.

But then we joke around and our saying is " We are going to sell off our geocoin collection for our retirement"

sweetlife

But then we joke around and our saying is " We are going to sell off our geocoin collection for our retirement"

sweetlife

TTUMS here ~

Oh scoff ye not! Several years ago we sold part the Mr. Shop99er's collection of comic books and went to Hawaii for a month. Several more years later we sold the rest of the collection and some action figures and went on an 18 day cruise. The trick is knowing when to sell.

That having been said.... geocoins, I believe, have hit the Beanie Baby Shark Jumping phase of their lives. I don't think anyone is going to be storing their collection in a deposit box at the bank any time soon.

The Mr. collects the coins he likes and considers them his 'guy charm bracelet'. They're little chunks of where he's been, who he's met, what he's enjoyed.

"A foole and his money is soone parted" - J. Bridges [1573]

"I'm waiting to have a big castle or country home to put all of my collection in. I have an attic full of stuff in my friend's house in Virginia." - Ursula Andress

"I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it." - Steven Wright

My all time favorite

And for goodness sake, it's a coin people, not a kidney.

Hula Bum

edit to add full quote

You know what's funny is how the quote is used by so many now and has totally morphed into other meanings. I wonder how many actually know what it truly means (or meant as the case may be)! Never realized how many different ways it would be used. Yime?!

If you love something

Set it free.

If it comes back, it was and

Always will be yours.

If it never returns, it was a...

geocoin

:)

Ok, lots of good posts so far, but this one really made me laugh.

I'm surprised that with all the varying opinions out there on what is a "good coin" that nobody has said the ole' cliche:

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"