Enter Benchmark waypoints

Team Hruby

Need help. I download the waypoint LOC file and load into my etrex legend c using Geojournal for MAC os. The trouble is, it does not show up. I think the problem is the LOC is unnamed. When I enter Geocache locations, those are always named. The benchmark files are not, or at least no name is seen/recognized by Geojournal.

Is there some other program I should use?

I use MacCaching for caches, but don't use it for benchmarks since for those I print out the data sheet and enter them manually into the GPSr. I just tried one though to see if it would work. I downloaded a benchmark .loc file, dragged it over to MacCaching and it imported it. It did add a GC in front of the PID but that shouldn't be a problem since you can choose to strip off the GC when you export to the GPSr.

I tried MacCaching once, and I, too, noticed that annoying habit of it adding a "GC" in front of the PID.

I haven't used GeoJournal, but if it works with .loc files for geocaches, it should work with .loc files for benchmarks. "Hrustar," what do you mean the .loc file is unnamed? When I click on the Download Waypoint icon on a Geocaching.com benchmark page, I get a .loc file that has the PID; e.g. HR0845.loc.

I use MacGPS Pro, and find it excellent for benchmark hunting because I can import topo maps and display benchmarks on those, or mark benchmarks on the topo maps and export the coordinates to my GPS. There are discussions of other Mac geocaching programs on the GPS Units and Software forum.

Patty

I tried MacCaching once, and I, too, noticed that annoying habit of it adding a "GC" in front of the PID.

I haven't used GeoJournal, but if it works with .loc files for geocaches, it should work with .loc files for benchmarks. "Hrustar," what do you mean the .loc file is unnamed? When I click on the Download Waypoint icon on a Geocaching.com benchmark page, I get a .loc file that has the PID; e.g. HR0845.loc.

I use MacGPS Pro, and find it excellent for benchmark hunting because I can import topo maps and display benchmarks on those, or mark benchmarks on the topo maps and export the coordinates to my GPS. There are discussions of other Mac geocaching programs on the GPS Units and Software forum.

Patty

In Geojournal, you could look at a list of all the loc files you've downloaded, and it gives you a menu like your computer hard drive with name/file/ date/ and some other categories (cant; recall them all). Under the name category, all the benchmarks are blank. I found this odd because like you, I too seem to see PID, but the program wont (at least not for benchmarks). Odd.

I was reading in the GSAK forums somewhere about it being used on MAC's.

So there must be a way.

Sure, one can run Windows apps on Macs. (Not an acronym, btw.)

Personally, I've never found it necessary, but some people need or want specific features that are only available in Windows apps, so they do it.

There are several native Mac geocaching programs available; as I mentioned, they've been discussed in the software forum.

Patty