Safety in the Woods

rowenaz

When we went out on a run for cache, a man was crouching in the bushes 100 yards from us. I heard a crunch, and that's when I noticed him. I got on the phone (had reception) and chatted as I hurried my 8 year old along, out of the woods and into the main park. But now I am scared. Suppose he had ill intentions and a Taser??

What are people doing to feel safe in some of the less crowded areas? Are you carrying anything of a self defensive nature with you? Any reccomendations or experiences/advice?

If you go in groups, how many people would you reccomend?

Thank you for your help.

Maybe he was crouching because he was looking for a cache in the brush???

I don't go caching in areas that would make me afraid for my safety. If something happens somewhere else then I don't think it matters wether I am caching or shopping or walking or playing frisbee. I just don't worry about such things. Life is too short. I trust God to keep me safe.

when I do go hiking/caching in the woods I always looks for a large sturdy stick. this way I've got a stick to use for caching or hiking and it can rapidly turn into a long range weapon if need be the case. but always be aware of your surroundings, if you pay attention there is a good chance you'll see if there is anyone around you and if they look like trouble you can cut bait and run.

I personally feel safer in the woods than I do on a city street.

But there are some ways to stay safe.

Number one, if something doesn't feel right, turn around. That is exactly what you did.

Always be aware of your surroundings. Don't be so wrapped up looking at your GPS or around you.

Actually here is an article I just wrote on this very subject that might be worth it for you to read.

I have my cell phone and walking stick anytime I'm caching in the woods. The cell phone always has coverage so I can get help if needed and the walking stick helps with the spiders, snakes and four legged critters. Two legged critters may require awareness, the phone and the stick.

It sounds like that when you found yourself in an uncomfortable situation, you left as quick as possible. That's probably the best thing you could have done. The cell phone helped. too.

A recent news story here was about a woman who was abducted from a shopping mall parking lot, taken somewhere else, and assaulted - fortunately not killed. You don't have to be in the woods for bad things to happen.

I went to a cache is the Bronx, New York. Some parts of the Bronx really are not safe like that one. 4 teenagers approached me and my dad making funny noises. We walked in the other direction and escaped the teenagers. Another day I went back to the cache zone with my uncle. He is trained security guard for a cemetery so of course he has a gun. Not to make anyone scared but we went into the woods and he brought his gun just in case anything happened. You should go in large group just in case someone that is not a cacher does something funny. I would also reccomend if you have a big dog like a lab to bring it. Usally people are afraid of large dogs and will back off.

Maybe he was crouching because he was looking for a cache in the brush???

I don't go caching in areas that would make me afraid for my safety. If something happens somewhere else then I don't think it matters wether I am caching or shopping or walking or playing frisbee. I just don't worry about such things. Life is too short. I trust God to keep me safe.

+1

And, I have a concealed carry permit. If you don't, pepper spray is good.

However, those with a carry permit or even a stick or spray, use caution. You must be able to prove by a preponderance of evidence that you were in danger of getting SERIOUS bodily harm (not just bruises and scrapes) from or getting killed by the person THAT YOU ASSAULT with a stick or gun. In these cases, the burden of proof is ON YOU and not on the plaintiff if it's a civil suit or even the prosecutor if it is a felony incident. You must also prove that you had no escape route, even if you are in your own home, let alone in the woods or a park.

I personally feel safer in the woods than I do on a city street.

But there are some ways to stay safe.

Number one, if something doesn't feel right, turn around. That is exactly what you did.

Always be aware of your surroundings. Don't be so wrapped up looking at your GPS or around you.

Actually here is an article I just wrote on this very subject that might be worth it for you to read.

Brian

Excellent article. I would add one thing, however. When you exit your vehicle to start your journey into the deep dark woods (even if only 600 feet), MARK your starting point. When bushwhacking, it is very easy to get turned around and lose track of which way you came in. This is true even if your GPS has a backtrack feature. Marking my Parking is my motto. Even if navigating urban canyons.

As my avatar suggests, I find many caches after dark and some as "late" as 3AM or 4AM. One dark night I neglected to Mark my Park and if it were not for my quarter mile range remote start system in my truck, I would probably have spent the night in that thick brush. My truck started, the lights came on and I was 180° disoriented as my truck was behind me! Hasn't happened since.

Well, first of all, I am quite glad to be German, I just have a much higher sense of general security. I do know for a fact from work that there are nearly as many looneys out here than there are in most parts of the US, but I am just not as bothered with it.

As for what to do: I usually go caching with my dog. Helps big times, as he is medium sized and black, scares of any city kids, which are pretty much the only ones that could cause trouble.

As for anything else, if you are not familiar with said woods, never go alone. Other people are much less danger than there are slipping on something wet, getting tangled in something, being bit by a snake and so on. I did live for a year in East-Texas and we had some mighty dangerous snakes down there. Not to mention ticks, fire ants and other assorted bugs.

Some pepper spray will keep a human away (if it is strong enough it might deter a bear), but if you are not used to walking uneven ground, trip over a root on the wet ground and lay there with a broken foot (and at best with no cell phone reception) you are in real trouble.

but if you are not used to walking uneven ground, trip over a root on the wet ground and lay there with a broken foot (and at best with no cell phone reception) you are in real trouble.

I would take exception the statement above. The assumption that if you get into trouble you can call for help is never a good one, caches with higher terrain ratings will often put you in places with no reception. However there is a very simple solution, bring a whistle.

The human voice at best can be heard up to ¼ of a mile. However the whistles listed below are designed to be heard up to a mile away and because they don’t have a pea in them the harder you blow the louder they get. You can yell yourself hoarse very quickly, but you can blow a whistle as long as you have to. Bring your cell phone, but have a whistle as a back up.

I carry one of these whistles when I go Geocaching and used to use one at work to signal coffee breaks. They are as loud as they claim to be. These whistles have an extremely shrill sound that stands out from all other noises.

Whistle 1

Whistle 2

Whistle 3

but if you are not used to walking uneven ground, trip over a root on the wet ground and lay there with a broken foot (and at best with no cell phone reception) you are in real trouble.

I would take exception the statement above. The assumption that if you get into trouble you can call for help is never a good one, caches with higher terrain ratings will often put you in places with no reception. However there is a very simple solution, bring a whistle.

The human voice at best can be heard up to ¼ of a mile. However the whistles listed below are designed to be heard up to a mile away and because they don’t have a pea in them the harder you blow the louder they get. You can yell yourself hoarse very quickly, but you can blow a whistle as long as you have to. Bring your cell phone, but have a whistle as a back up.

I carry one of these whistles when I go Geocaching and used to use one at work to signal coffee breaks. They are as loud as they claim to be. These whistles have an extremely shrill sound that stands out from all other noises.

Whistle 1

Whistle 2

Whistle 3

I carry one of these. They are called Storm Whistles and are incredibly loud. I can't hear for a few mins after blowing one.

1812_side_032505_400x400.jpg

[

I am an avid outdoors man and have spent many nights alone in the timber, in the dark. Some of the worst animals out there are the two legged kind. Some great suggestions here and the whistle is a must have when caching since it can be used for experiences like you had or in another worse case, getting lost and using it as a means of location.

Some More Suggestions

1. Before you head out, make sure someone knows where you are going, give them a list of the caches your searching or the area you will be and tell them an expected return time.

2. Dont cache alone, groups are always better in certain areas or if you feel that you are entering an area that could contain the not so friendly.

3. Always be aware of your surroundings. It had been mentioned before here, but knowing where you are at all times and have an escape plan in the event of a "what if" situation is always a good idea. Carrying a big stick is good, but if you were not aware of that person sneaking up behind you while you glare at your GPS'r does no good.

4. If you encounter someone your not sure of, just turn and walk, dont run, in the other direction. Most likely the person in question is harmless, but if not, and you just walk away they are less likely to follow you or do harm unlike running away. Running entices the perp into thinking you spotted them doing something wrong and they will stop you from alerting the authorities.

5. One suggestion I heard in a self defense class was that when walking on a trail you should look directly, making eye contact with people that pass you by. The theory is that someone who has intentions to do someone harm is less likely to commit an act on someone who looks them in the eye. Reason, people with the bad intentions are less likely to do something because they feeel that they have been been caught, or we noticed them, by looking them in the eye.

6. Lastly, never ever put yourself in a situation unless your confident about your abilities to get you out. If you have any doubts about something, just dont do it. Scared of the dark? dont go out at night. Perps feast on the fears of others and can sense these fears. If you look scared before going into a situation, and you encounter something worse, they already have the upper hand.

Keep on caching and be safe

When we first took up geocaching, the first thing my girlfriend asked me was if it was safe, she said what if muggers/criminals could set up a cache somewhere isolated, and lay in wait for a person to come hunting it, the mugger would be guarenteed at least a gpsr, most likely a mobile phone too,

I said it is a possibility, but like anything in life there's a risk to be taken, if you can't take risks, wrap your self up in bubble wrap and foam, and sit in a banks vault till you die of boredom,

Being honnest someones more likely to swipe my pda off it's mount on my motorbike whilst i'm waiting at a red traffic light than lay in wait at a cache site, but when ever we are in woods, i'll be staring at the gpsr, whilst sam is looking around, and she will point out anyone nearby, mainly as a muggle, but we keep an eye on them just incase they have seen the gpsr and have other thoughts.

luckily we have a dog, and take her geocaching when we go out in the car, but when we go on the bike, she cant come, i do have 3 pet rats, most people are scared of rats, especialy as one of mine looks like a wild rat, and weighs almost 700grams.. takes to hands to hold him, so i could always train him to be an attack rat.. be hard tho as he's a big softy.

I agree with the eye contact thing mentioned above, i was taught to do that with car drivers at junctions when riding my motorbike, makes them think twice about pulling out on you and you know for sure they know your there, and they know you know, and wond do anything silly.

I usually cache on the fly, we'll be driving or riding somewhere, and decide to see if there's any caches nearby, or tomtom will show me there's one nearby,

but when we make plans for a day of caching, we'll avoid any in the dodgier areas of the city, woods no problems, but there's some places in cities i'd rather not go without a very good reason, and even geocaching is not a good enough reason.

i walk alone in cities and in woods. i ride my bike alone on trails and on roads. i camp alone, sleeping in my car. i live alone. i pick up hitchhikers.

so it might get me killed. you can't stay home all the time. safety is overrated. i have no kids to support. i'm not careless about it, but i'm also not particularly worried.

today i met a large black bear in a suburban park. life is full of surprises.

my solutions for hazards i have met:

stalker: large axe

stalker: cell phone, police

moose: sing the "i am large and dangerous" emergency song

lost in winter: blow whistle

threatened on road: inform the guy that he'd better be prepared to kill me.

run over: roll over, stand up.

bear: sing the "i am not delicious" emergency song.

snakebite: snake not poisonous, don't care.

sprains and separations: ride out. what else you gonna do?

hunted with dogs: say "would you like me to put my hands where you can see them?"

At first I was afraid to ask this question, thinking people might respond with, "Oh don't bother geocaching then," but you guys have given such thoughtful responses, that I am really glad I asked.

I did firmly walk my daughter out of the woods and knew the man knew I had seen him. I didn't want him to think I was scared, which is why I walked and didn't run. So far, I realize that I did do things all right. She knew something was wrong, but wasn't scared.

There are still more things I can incorporate - the storm whistle is a must, I see, and I will get a few. Also pepper spray. I would be lying if I didn't say the bear thing had crossed my mind ...we have them. that I wouldn't be going to any of the more difficult cache sites. Certainly not any that I thought would be dangerous. But just like you guys said, even an urban environment or peopled place can still be dangerous.

I'm not going to be all paranoid (well, no more than usual) but I am going to take these suggestions and be aware, have a muggle watch, get the whistle (and a pepper spray), and trust my instinct and be aware of all around me. And that big stick... great lists and links. THX

I just wanna put it out there...

I am a city girl, worked NYPD for awhile. I feel safer in the woods than on the city streets.... I find that most of the "weirdos" that I run into in the woods are there on the same principle that I am. Quiet time, four wheeling, just enjoying nature or, yes, geocaching. I have met some pretty cool people in the woods.

i walk alone in cities and in woods. i ride my bike alone on trails and on roads. i camp alone, sleeping in my car. i live alone. i pick up hitchhikers.

so it might get me killed. you can't stay home all the time. safety is overrated. i have no kids to support. i'm not careless about it, but i'm also not particularly worried.

today i met a large black bear in a suburban park. life is full of surprises.

my solutions for hazards i have met:

stalker: large axe

stalker: cell phone, police

lost in winter: blow whistle

threatened on road: inform the guy that he'd better be prepared to kill me.

run over: roll over, stand up.

bear: sing the "i am not delicious" emergency song.

snakebite: snake not poisonous, don't care.

hunted with dogs: say "would you like me to put my hands where you can see them?"

I like your style. :)

i walk alone in cities and in woods. i ride my bike alone on trails and on roads.

so it might get me killed. you can't stay home all the time. safety is overrated. i have no kids to support.

+1

After this, I rode out. Three hours out of the Vest Virginia mountains. Y'know they say that if ya could iron all the wrinkles out of West Virginia, it'd be bigger than Texas (and I believe 'em).

Minimal displacement. Healed fast, was caching in three weeks. But because of the minimal displacement, I had to get new hiking boots, the old ones no longer worked for me. Proper fit of hiking boots is essential.

Oh, and one more thing again. MARK YOUR PARKING!

fracture.jpg

Edited by Rattlebars

Interesting thread. Less than a handful of "odd/threatening" situations in my life and only once would I consider it "outdoors". We were at the trailhead of a mountain bike/hike park and we were just about to start our hike. We spot a pervert in the woods with no pants on doing his thing. He spots us, we immediately turn around and start walking towards the car out of his site. I returned with my paintball gun and got him twice before he out ran me. He was fast. I was just blasting away though, never let up on the trigger. It was hilarious. I remember everyone laughing when I told the 911 operator he should have orange paint on his stomach and back side.

I must admit I've given very little thought to my personal safety in all my years in the outdoors (mostly hiking and fishing). I almost always have a knife (really a muti-tool) and a whistle but more for survival reasons.

At least this thread has made me think about it.

One of the things that I recommend in my book is to not go into the woods alone. It's simply foolish: too many things can happen outside of cellphone range. "Dangerous people" are unusual to encounter (walking down a city street is far more likely to be dangerous from that point of view), but unexpected injury, getting lost, sudden bad weather, and animals are all equally dangerous and it's silly to take a chance.

I'm not sure that I advocate going in large groups -- part of the joy of being out in the woods is the quiet, the opportunity to commune with nature, the beauty -- but certainly you should consider having a geocaching partner or two.

Take normal safety precautions wherever you go. Geocaching isn't any different from any other activity: there are safety considerations that you shouldn't ignore.

Jeannette (angevine)

What are the lyrics??

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ab-b664987e9ef7

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...37-2e5546e7efe8

i'd like to add to my list-

lose partner in hydraulic at bottom of class V rapid: try to dislodge her with paddle.

struck by lightning: turn to friend and say "did you feel that?"

Interesting thread. Less than a handful of "odd/threatening" situations in my life and only once would I consider it "outdoors". We were at the trailhead of a mountain bike/hike park and we were just about to start our hike. We spot a pervert in the woods with no pants on doing his thing. He spots us, we immediately turn around and start walking towards the car out of his site. I returned with my paintball gun and got him twice before he out ran me. He was fast. I was just blasting away though, never let up on the trigger. It was hilarious. I remember everyone laughing when I told the 911 operator he should have orange paint on his stomach and back side. ... (snip)

OMG! I'm more afraid of you than any of the people in the other stories!

(snip) ... I must admit I've given very little thought to my personal safety in all my years in the outdoors (mostly hiking and fishing). I almost always have a knife (really a muti-tool) and a whistle but more for survival reasons. ... (snip)

Evidentally! Thank god you didn't have a knife that day or we'd have to add your name alongside Lorena's!

Remind me not to go into the woods for Any Reason in ... where are you from? LOL

Live large and fly under the radar when ever you can. What would life be without a little danger. Just use your head when it bites you.

Caching alone in the woods with the sounds of silence is a good thing. It doesn't hurt to let people know where you are going and protect yourself if there are criminals about.

When we went out on a run for cache, a man was crouching in the bushes 100 yards from us. I heard a crunch, and that's when I noticed him. I got on the phone (had reception) and chatted as I hurried my 8 year old along, out of the woods and into the main park. But now I am scared. Suppose he had ill intentions and a Taser??

What are people doing to feel safe in some of the less crowded areas? Are you carrying anything of a self defensive nature with you? Any reccomendations or experiences/advice?

Thank you for your help.

I was just reading on our local geocaching site about "fake caches" being set up by people to lure women geocachers to the site, now it may be urban legend/rumore (not sure of the term) but what the local folks recommended was making sure that other people logged finding the cache and if there was a high number of people who could not find the cache or you could not find additional info on who posted the cache then it is best to avoid for safety reasons because you could be walking into a trap.

Thank you for your help.

I was just reading on our local geocaching site about "fake caches" being set up by people to lure women geocachers to the site, now it may be urban legend/rumore (not sure of the term) but what the local folks recommended was making sure that other people logged finding the cache and if there was a high number of people who could not find the cache or you could not find additional info on who posted the cache then it is best to avoid for safety reasons because you could be walking into a trap.

i expect a lot of rumors like that would make it easier for me to get a lot of first finds.

i'm indestructible. when the time comes for me to die, i'll die. up 'til now, though nothing i do seems to matter.

hit by lightning, run over, stalked, allergic reactions that SHOULD have been fatal, blah, blah, blah. perhaps i'm overconfident, but i'm ready to die if it should come up. in the meantime, i'm having a splendid time. everyone not involved in providing me with a really good time should get out of my way.

OMG! I'm more afraid of you than any of the people in the other stories!

Well, if you wouldn't do that in the woods and save it for home, you wouldn't need to fear me :blink: ,

Evidentally! Thank god you didn't have a knife that day or we'd have to add your name alongside Lorena's!

I did have a knife, like I said I usually carry one hiking, but I wasn't out to hurt the guy, just label him.

At the time, I was living in the U.P of Michigan. The U.P. is literally a different dimension. You learn to be very careful how you treat locals, you treat them with respect and as your equal, you NEVER look down on them, or they will ruin you. Actually, how you should treat everyone but you have to be extra careful in the U.P.

Edited by Morning Dew

I carry one of these. They are called Storm Whistles and are incredibly loud. I can't hear for a few mins after blowing one.

(photo of storm whistle snipped)

I have the same problem, but I'll take temporary deafness any day of the week if I need help or get seperated from a hiking group.

I have one of those storm whistles on the PFD I used for kayaking and I believe that it prevented a powerboat/kayak collision once. I was doing a full moon paddle on a small cottaged lined lake nearby with about 8 others. Everyone had head lamps and/or flash lights and started flashing them at a slow moving power boat that was approaching in our direction. I hadn't changed course so when it got within 200' or so I blew my whistle very loud and it stopped and someone on board said "I think there's someone out there". It was a pontoon boat slowly cruising the lake and I'm guessing that they just were not watching where they were going.

As fair as cell phones go, I wouldn't rely on them. I was caching today and after searching for a cache for awhile which had several logs which said they got a hint before finding it, I pulled out my cell phone for a phone a friend and saw "No Service". This wasn't in a remote canyon in the middle of nowhere but in a town square in a small village about 18 miles from me. My sister-n-law lives in a very small town about 6 miles from me and has no cell phone service either.

But on a serious note, I pack a Glock 30 .45 CAL. (Ofcourse you want to make sure you have a concealed carry permit) I also pack a Gerber Applegate fighting knife. It's more of a multi use knife for me though.

Honestly though, I'm not one to worry, I'd just rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In 4.5 years of Geocaching, I have yet to be in a single situation that I didn't feel as though I couldn't take care of myself or my family. And that's not to say that haven't come across some seriously iffy situations in the Meth capital of the world here in Washington.

The only time I was concerned was in an area that had recent bear activity. We attached sleigh bells to our walking sticks and never saw a bear. Normally I am more concerned in some of the urban areas I cache in than in the forest. Most of the time we are carrying anyway. We enjoy a bit of target practice when we get to an area that is good for that sort of thing.

Anyone who is in the forest and sees a bear should know that shooting it with most of the guns that we carry will just piss it off. You need something on the order of a 44 magnum to do any real damage to a full grown bear.

Some of these replies are humoring me.

DO NOT CARRY A GUN UNLESS YOU KNOW THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE AND THE AREA YOU'RE VISITING

I think that got the message cross. Please don't recommend to people carry a gun when you don't even know where they are located.

1) Carrying a gun in a national park is illegal with the exception of law enforcement and I THINK the national forest officers.

2) know your state laws, see if cities, municipalities, boroughs, etc are pre-emp from creating their own firearm laws.

3) Check the state laws on carry in state parks

I live in Alaska, a state which pre-emps cities, boroughs, municipalities, etc from creating their own firearm laws. I can open carry or conceal carry WITHOUT a license. I'm getting my license, but only so I can open carry in a vehicle in Pennsylvania. I *CAN* carry in state parks in Alaska. In Pennsylvania there is a bill which hasn't been signed in to law yet for LTCF or other firearms license holders of another state to carry in Pennsylvania State Parks, but it isn't in effect yet so its currently illegal.

That being said, I open carry my firearm everywhere I go, even to the bank. The only time I'll ever conceal carry is if I'm in an area where I don't want my good gun to get dirty or get sand in it. I've several good guns, but my carry weapon is a XD 45. compact until I find a nice 1911.

Any questions I'll try to answer, but if you state incorrect information, you're going to get flamed.

I'm sorry, but I must correct this post.

Anyone who is in the forest and sees a bear should know that shooting it with most of the guns that we carry will just piss it off. You need something on the order of a 44 magnum to do any real damage to a full grown bear.

WRONG! if you shoot a gun, its going to scare the bear away! It isn't the impact of the bullet which usually scares a bear away, its the sound.

Also, I should note I'm more afraid of moose trampling me than a bear. Bears will charge, then just suddenly stop. This is their behavior, moose on the other hand will charge and stomp on you until you're dead. If confronted by a bear, DO NOT RUN AWAY!! This will only make the bear chase you since you're giving in, YELL and SWING YOUR ARMS *AT* the bear to tell it you're big and mean! It will go away.

I recommend if you've a gun, fire a couple warning shots if you need to without hitting the bear.

Edited by Insane Kangaroo

Whistle 1

Whistle 2

Whistle 3

1812_side_032505_400x400.jpg

[

I fell and broke my ankle about one month into geocaching. I was alone, with no cell phone and no whistle. It was an excrutiating two hour "journey" back to the car.

I now take THAT whistle on every hunt ... and my cell phone. I also use a walking stick everywhere I go.

I fell and broke my ankle about one month into geocaching. I was alone, with no cell phone and no whistle. It was an excrutiating two hour "journey" back to the car.

I now take THAT whistle on every hunt ... and my cell phone. I also use a walking stick everywhere I go.

Walking sticks help immensely. I'm one of those people who will run until he hurts something. Sometimes I'll wear my feet sore. My komperdell is the best, when I'm done I just pack it up and go home.

As far as I am concerned this is nothing more than urban legend. After seven years I have never heard of any incident like this. Lets face it setting out a fake Geocache or staking out a real one is pointless. You have no idea when or if someone is going to show up.

Edited by magellan315

As far as I am concerned this is nothing more than urban legend. After seven years I have never heard of any incident like this. Lets face it setting out a fake Geocache or staking out a real one is pointless. You have no idea when or if someone is going to show up.

I pity the idiot if I was ever lured in to a trap, he would end up ventilated if I were jumped. I open carry a 45, though I've been looking in to FNH or maybe just a 10mil. B)

I agree and disagree with a lot of stuff that is out there. I am good about taking care of myself.

*I would worry a little more about our four legged strangers out there than the two legged ones.

*I do not recommend being underly cautious, but I would also not recommend jumping at every little noise or shadow you run across.

*Know your limitations and keep a fair amount of caution. I tend to overthink every scenario, but still jump headfirst into many situations.

*I have run across a lot of strange people in the pines. I was usually by myself and found that if I put on the airs of confidence (I act like I know what I am doing, where I am going), I am fine. If I run into a stranger, I usually smile and say hello. I NEVER show any nervousness or fear. Stay confident, stay attentive and stay alive.

*I mentioned earlier that the people I run into are 9 times out of 10 out there for the same principles I am. Enjoying nature and having fun. Most times they just want the solitude. I am intruding on them as much as they are intruding on me. You will know, long before they realize that you know if you are in a bad situation.

*Always have a way out. Keep track of the way you came in and always have an escape route.

*Always have a means of communication. Cell, radio, whistle, really loud scream. Not only are these deterrents, but can help someone locate you.

*Carry spare batteries. Nothing worse than escaping a situation, only to find your GPSr died and you are completely lost.

*Take a cell and put in the numbers for any local LE, Rangers, Emergency contacts. You never know. Every time you hit a new area, take the time to research any numbers you may need.

I already have all of those completed. ;) Hell yeah about the contact numbers, I've most of the emergency numbers in my phone for Alaska and Pennsylvania, from fire departments to state troopers.

I'm going to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to see how awkward city people live, in funny looking buildings, where there isn't much room to ride bikes across private lands in the city, and where everyone has a Bluetooth piece implanted in to their head.

Yes, I'm making fun of city people. B) I love their assumptions about how people live in Alaska. "Where are the igloos?!"

I'll probably keep residency in Alaska, but live in Pennsylvania for some of the year and move back to Alaska for the few months needed to keep residency and my CCW permit. The permit is useless in Alaska since there is no need for a permit to OC or CC for me but has recip so I can CC in Pennsylvania.

I agree and disagree with a lot of stuff that is out there. I am good about taking care of myself.

*I would worry a little more about our four legged strangers out there than the two legged ones.

*I do not recommend being underly cautious, but I would also not recommend jumping at every little noise or shadow you run across.

*Know your limitations and keep a fair amount of caution. I tend to overthink every scenario, but still jump headfirst into many situations.

*I have run across a lot of strange people in the pines. I was usually by myself and found that if I put on the airs of confidence (I act like I know what I am doing, where I am going), I am fine. If I run into a stranger, I usually smile and say hello. I NEVER show any nervousness or fear. Stay confident, stay attentive and stay alive.

*I mentioned earlier that the people I run into are 9 times out of 10 out there for the same principles I am. Enjoying nature and having fun. Most times they just want the solitude. I am intruding on them as much as they are intruding on me. You will know, long before they realize that you know if you are in a bad situation.

*Always have a way out. Keep track of the way you came in and always have an escape route.

*Always have a means of communication. Cell, radio, whistle, really loud scream. Not only are these deterrents, but can help someone locate you.

*Carry spare batteries. Nothing worse than escaping a situation, only to find your GPSr died and you are completely lost.

*Take a cell and put in the numbers for any local LE, Rangers, Emergency contacts. You never know. Every time you hit a new area, take the time to research any numbers you may need.

the number one thing i have with me anytime i step into the woods (hunting, hiking or whatever), and it is an invaluable tool whether it be for self defense, or even just survival: a knife. I always have a dedicated knife looped over my belt, ready at all times. Notice I said "dedicated" knife...not a multitool, or a swiss army knife, etc..just a plain old knife. In the heat of a situation..be it faced with a bear, pervert or attacker, most people would be too shaky with fear and anticipation to properly pull out the blade that they need.

and it's not hard to use..you dont have to be trained in it in a survival situation, its pretty easy to remember to keep the edge and pointy side away from you.

the number one thing i have with me anytime i step into the woods (hunting, hiking or whatever), and it is an invaluable tool whether it be for self defense, or even just survival: a knife. I always have a dedicated knife looped over my belt, ready at all times. Notice I said "dedicated" knife...not a multitool, or a swiss army knife, etc..just a plain old knife. In the heat of a situation..be it faced with a bear, pervert or attacker, most people would be too shaky with fear and anticipation to properly pull out the blade that they need.

and it's not hard to use..you dont have to be trained in it in a survival situation, its pretty easy to remember to keep the edge and pointy side away from you.

Thats right, a knife is a good thing to have. I usually carry a gun, but one thing I will say is a knife can be deadlier in anyone's hands, and it doesn't run out of ammo. In fact when knife attacks occur on multiple people, there are more killings in a time frame than a mall shooting, you won't see those retard mothers against guns telling you facts like that. (see the latest Japan knife attack)

If I carried a knife in a the woods, it would be a decent bowie knife, if legal to carry in the particular woods, which could strap to my belt and didn't obstruct my running.

exactly. knives can be just as deadly or deadlier than a gun, since a knife is more manuverable , and people for some reason dont take knives as seriously.

I would carry a handgun with me, but my county in NY has strict laws on handguns, and even STRICTER laws on open/concealed carry. and a shotgun is too unwieldly to carry when you dont know where a hike and i imagine a GC will take you. your more likely to hurt yourself carrying a shotgun in uneven terrain (when not hunting that is)

Edited by Kenshi Clay

I have a concealed carry permit. If you don't, pepper spray is good.

However, those with a carry permit or even a stick or spray, use caution. You must be able to prove by a preponderance of evidence that you were in danger of getting SERIOUS bodily harm (not just bruises and scrapes) from or getting killed by the person THAT YOU ASSAULT with a stick or gun. In these cases, the burden of proof is ON YOU and not on the plaintiff if it's a civil suit or even the prosecutor if it is a felony incident. You must also prove that you had no escape route, even if you are in your own home, let alone in the woods or a park.

I have responded to my own post because in Ohio, just this week, the law has radically changed concerning using force to defend yourself. For more info, -> CLICK HERE <- and check your own state laws concerning self defense.

The new law which will take effect in September states:

Under current Ohio law, if a person is attacked in their home, in general they have a duty to retreat before using deadly force against an intruder. The law also requires victims to prove in court they acted out of fear of serious physical harm or death.

To address this issue, the House passed Senate Bill 184, which was introduced by Senator Steve Buehrer (R- Delta) and creates the presumption that a person acted in self-defense unless proven otherwise in court. This is an important change to the law because it puts the burden on a criminal to prove they were not in a person's home to cause harm. Senate Bill 184 also provides victims who acted in self-defense with civil immunity so they cannot be sued at a later date by their attacker.

With the passage of this legislation, Ohio joins more than 20 other states that have enacted similar provisions, also known as "Castle Laws" because they are based on English Common Law from the 1700s that holds a man's home is his castle.