Logging your own caches as finds

Zor

^Zor^ it is safer to say nothing on here! I've been told that this place can be like being fed to the wolves, it is better to keep these issues on MGA, or ACGA. B)

Mike

This is especially true if you merely want to have your say, but don't want anyone to disagree with you.

^Zor^ it is safer to say nothing on here! I've been told that this place can be like being fed to the wolves, it is better to keep these issues on MGA, or ACGA. B)

Mike

This is especially true if you merely want to have your say, but don't want anyone to disagree with you.

Now you're just being a pessimist. Stop that. ;)

michelle

^Zor^ it is safer to say nothing on here! I've been told that this place can be like being fed to the wolves, it is better to keep these issues on MGA, or ACGA. ;)

Mike

Now you're just being a pessimist. Stop that. ;)

michelle

I'm utterly speechelss. I thought he was fairly positive about that. B)

The real question is, in my humble opinion, is "Why would someone stoop so low as to claim their own cache as a find?"

No the real question is why do you care?

I thought I asked that...maybe mine wasn't worded correctly...oh well...

Though, by your own admission, if the spirit of the game and Hide and Find...then why are you worried about what Others Are Doing???

Mike

I don't worry about disagreements. I have my opinions and occasionally share them. The other person can either accept them or smoke them.

;)

I am relatively new to caching (6 months into it) and I have been doing a lot of hides recently, and I noticed that on the cache page, I as the owner have a lot more options than I would on a cache I don't own. However, when I look at the public listing, and I choose "Log It", I actually have the ability to log my own cache as a find.

Why is this allowed?

If someone has hidden 300 caches, they could feasibly log each of those 300 as a find, and increase their find count by 300. Does that not seem a little illogical? Should you be allowed to log your own cache as a find, since obviously you didn't have to "find" it?

I would think that the website would remove the found/did not find options when logging a cache that you are the owner of.

What's the scoop on this?

Maybe it's just me, but the idea of logging my own caches seems a tad silly to me. My wife and I 'hunt' and log as a team, there are caches I have hid and caches she has hid that either she or I have 'found' afterwards. But from there to log them...? I don't know, it just feels... silly, to me.

But hey, there is no rule against and there shouldn't be. To me the only reason the number of finds are there is to keep a little track on on our caching in general. There are no medals given out for 500 or 1000 caches. At least not by Groundspeak.

At this moment we have found 281 caches. Does this comparatively small number reflect our caching experience or even reflect on the experience we have had finding many of these caches? Of course not! It’s about the quality of the caches and the hunt in itself, not about the numbers. The numbers are just that, numbers; meaningless in itself.

What DOES count is the many hours I have got to spend with my wife, TRUE QUALITY TIME, hunting caches, meeting other cachers and just simply having a good time and tons of laughs!

Edited by lrosell

i've never logged one of my own caches as found.

that said, if i have to spend more than an hour looking for my own cache, i ought to have the right to log it.

i have a significant amount of brain damage, so in many cases returning to a cache is like the first time, every time. it's fun AND economical!

tangentially, people write to ask for hints all the time, which i am unable to give. i get some funny responses when i say i don't remember where the cache is. sometimes i tell them about the brain damage, sometimes not. it's funnier if i don't, but less helpful sounding.

maybe if i wanted to have my numbers reflect the actual HUNTING, i'd re-log caches i returned to with difficulty and never log caches i could find from my car.

in the end it doesn't really matter what i log and what i don't.

The owner lost cache twice within days of listing and appealed for help in on the cache page from experianced cachers. I checked out the situation, found a small cache in the truck, set it up, found a good spot for it, and replaced the cache. Emailed the owner new coords 80 ft away from the first ones.

After all that I can't add to my hide stats, so I logged a find because there is no other way to clear it from my map. Disclosed EXACTLY what I did - and the owner was very happy with the help, thanking me publically and privately. I'm not into the glory, so I asked that he remove my name from the owner box, and tone the thanks down.

June 8 by MrGigabyte (4910 found)

Congratulations to legacypac for not finding the original cache, then hiding a replacement for the cache owner, then logging their own hide as a find.

Nothing else in the log! Not a "nice park", "quick find", "good spot" "I saw a cool dog". Seems that the guy with the most finds in BC has forgotten the point of the game. Oh and when he could not find the cache before he just insulted it.

You did a really good thing in the pure name of geocaching. Some people are bullies and I avoid their cache hides and I'm always afraid that if a cache goes missing after I have rehiddin it the same way I found it..this person will accuse me of ruining it. Why would cachers do that???