Pocket Queries, route 40

millerlightman02

I've never done it, but I think you want Caches Along a Route, not Pocket Queries.

ok, but how do i do that? I entered Indiana, route 40, and anything else i could think of, and i did not have any luck. again any help would be great. thanks

Go to google earth and create a route, save it as a kml and upload it. Then base a query on that. It takes a couple of tries sometimes, be sure to break up the route into chunks because there is a length limit and of course you are limited to 500 caches per query.

I've never done it, but I think you want Caches Along a Route, not Pocket Queries.

ok, but how do i do that? I entered Indiana, route 40, and anything else i could think of, and i did not have any luck. again any help would be great. thanks

Go to google earth and create a route, save it as a kml and upload it. Then base a query on that. It takes a couple of tries sometimes, be sure to break up the route into chunks because there is a length limit and of course you are limited to 500 caches per query.

If i do that it takes me on 70, not 40..

I see your problem - you want 40 not 70, when every reasonable mapping program will take you down 70.

There IS a way, but it involves google maps rather than google earth.

I went ahead and did it for you, and you can click here for the caches along a route page of it.

However, if you want to know how to do it, here's how. Go to google maps and create your route. Google maps allows you to click and drag the route to your liking now, so you can do that to create virtually any route you want to. Now, at the top right, click link to this page. Copy the first url into your address bar, then add, without the quotes, "&output=kml" to the end of it. Click go or hit enter and you will be prompted to save the KML file.

Yes, this is the correct format file, but unfortunately it doesn't work with the GC.com route feature, at least not until we do this workaround to fix it. Open the file with google earth. You should see your route. Open the file's "folder" in the left bar of google earth. You should see all the driving directions. Beneath them is an item simply called "route." Right click on "Route" and click "save place as", and save it as a KML file. This newly saved file will magically work on geocaching.com.

Edited by dougsmiley