Free geocoins :)

dragonflys

That sounds like a good idea for me if you are in that area or spending your holidays in that area!

Yes, a good way to attract geocachers and tourists. It would be great for me as I love hiking, but unfortunately a little far away for us Germans.

Fundy National Park in New Brunswick Canada has allowed 5 geocaches to be hidden in the park. To those who go out and find them they get a free geocoin trackable on gc.com. I have not got mine yet but have seen the coin and it is quite nice. Here is a link with the details:

Fundy Park Passport

We're planning on doing this one this summer, but I've never been to Fundy Park and don't know exactly how much walking would be involved -- I have a 3 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 2 month old. Are the trails stroller friendly? Or will I be doing some hiking on my own?

I think you will be doing some on your own. There is an 11 km hike and an 3 km. the others are shorter but at least one is not stroller friendly. Sneak off early to do the lonh ones: )

There is alot of moose around there to see too, on bueaty and the beech hike i see alot of moose reports.

Fundy National Park in New Brunswick Canada has allowed 5 geocaches to be hidden in the park. To those who go out and find them they get a free geocoin trackable on gc.com. I have not got mine yet but have seen the coin and it is quite nice. Here is a link with the details:

Fundy Park Passport

We're planning on doing this one this summer, but I've never been to Fundy Park and don't know exactly how much walking would be involved -- I have a 3 yr old, a 2 yr old, and a 2 month old. Are the trails stroller friendly? Or will I be doing some hiking on my own?

It's great to hear that Parks Canada is willing to work with geocachers towards a postive program like this. While I can understand their point of view (geotrash and bushwacking = not good for parks) I love the National Parks of Canada and they are here for a reason...for EVERYONE to enjoy them. My family likes to use our nearby National Parks year round, but they haven't been as much of a draw since we've started caching for the simple reason as there are no caches. This program to me is great news...I'd love to go but it's pretty far for us westerners <_<

Other parks are watching this project, if it works look for other across Canada to follow suit. It was a fun project to work on and the Parks staff was really awesome to work with.

It's great to hear that Parks Canada is willing to work with geocachers towards a postive program like this. While I can understand their point of view (geotrash and bushwacking = not good for parks) I love the National Parks of Canada and they are here for a reason...for EVERYONE to enjoy them. My family likes to use our nearby National Parks year round, but they haven't been as much of a draw since we've started caching for the simple reason as there are no caches. This program to me is great news...I'd love to go but it's pretty far for us westerners <_<

<broken record>

It's nice to see some geocoins again that are not only VERY caching related, but coisn you ahve to earn. I like to see them as a type of reward for accomplishments or memorable caching experiences like this.

</broken record>

Hats off to those cachers who were able to work with the parks to get this in place.

My wife and I have decided to do the 'Fundy Challenge' and earn our geocoin on the August long weekend. But we've also decided to make this a Big Wild Challenge!

Sounds like fun!! From taking our son on a 2+ mile hike starting at over 6K elevation around part of Mt. Rainier in WA state a few years ago, I know if you get one of those 3-wheel jog-strollers, you can pretty much motor over anything in your path that is considered a trail. :lol:

Tackling an 11km hike with 3 toddlers, wow you sure do want a challenge all right! :rolleyes:

DSC03612_med.jpg

(click on pic for full size image)

DSC03575_med.jpg

(click on pic for full size image)

heh heh. I actually think I'll be tackling the 11km hike solo :)

We'll probably do a short one our first evening there.

I'll do the 11k hike first thing the following morning and the whole family will do a medium one in the afternoon.

Then we'll finish off the rest on the third day before heading home.

I'm going to start a thread in the Canada regional forum for pledges. I'll post the link here when I get around to it. And of course, when we get 'er done, I'll post photos of the treks and the coin!

thanks HB

That's quite the testament for that stroller!!!

I love hearing about parks opening up to caches, it's wonderful that someone put in the time to make this happen. Then, to have coins in the caches, wow, icing on the cake!

Thanks for sharing.

Our campsite is booked for August 2nd to the 4th. My sister-in-law and her family will be joining us, so at least I'll have someone (I hope!) to join me on the longest hike.

I just sent an email in to the Canada forum mod to see if I can post requesting pledges without violating forum guidelines.

Well I got the official 'no' from TPTB about posting any info about a pledge sheet for our family challenge.

Please feel free to send me an email through my profile address if you want more info on our upcoming trip. I'll post photos of the caches and the coin when we're done!

Done!

We completed the 5 caches in just 2 days - 23 km of hiking. A good thing too, since it poured rain on the third day. We just packed up the tent and headed home.

Only two of the hikes ended up being stroller friendly -- Beauty and the Beech and Gliders in the Night. Another of the treks (Master Forester) just had too many steep slopes and stairs, although the whole family did do this one (carrying the little ones). Back from the Brink was just nasty -- 1.5 km all downhill, which means 1.5 km back uphill after finding the cache!!!

And then there was Salmon Saga! This was a beautiful hike along the Upper Salmon River. 5.8 km out and 5.8 km back. It started off with a 300 ft climb up a steep trail, followed by a 300 foot descent back down to a brook which had to be forded (kept my feet dry). A few hundred meters on, I had to ford the Upper Salmon River itself! Couldn't keep my feet dry here! In fact, the water was waist deep in some parts! After that it was a 3 km trek along narrow trails clinging to the steep hillside or walking along the rocky banks of the river in the wider parts of the gorge.

All well worth it (got my coin), but my wife says she gets to plan the next vacation!! :(