Advanced Nuvi Macro

So it loaded the GPX files to your nuvi OK, then? You should be good to go.

so what your saying is the macro is broke when it comes to starting the poiloader? what a pain, probably should just delete this code instead of releasing broken code. The macro by pilotsnipes works fine in this regard, I just wanted multiple databases.

And I still don't know what the seeming useless distance and speed is for a cache. Never heard of a cache speeding along at 60mph 3169 feet away.

Jim

Macro isn't broke. I run the POI Loader from the macro just fine. It's only the first time through that you have to run it manually (and that info is in bright red on the download page). The only issue is that checking for the nuvi to be hooked up isn't right (at least for me) so the option is built in to not do that check.

Also note that this macro is still in development (jjreds: forgive me if I overstep here) and, thus, is not "released" as it's not yet on the Macro Library. I believe there is still a firmware problem with the 7XX series that is in Garmin's court to fix. Must read past logs on this one.

I don't know what the speed and distance reference is since I don't have a 7XX nuvi.

Oh, one thing else to check. Is the macro looking at the correct folder for the POI Loader program? If you've loaded the POIL more than once, it may be looking at an old version while you are running the newer version manually. That direction is located on the initial macro Options dialog box.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Thanks for helping support and troubleshoot Cache O'Plenty.

Although the GPX specification is supposed to be a "standard" for communication even among Garmin devices there are differences.

POI Loader will run from the macro if it exists in the target directory and you are running XP. This is the only tested configuration and I can't afford to buy one of everything to check every possible combination. The "Check for Nuvi" function works for most devices but not all, that's why there is an option to turn it off. I'll add some error checking for the existince of POIL in the target path to prevent the Windows error if the wrong path is entered in the macro.

POI Loader must be ver 2.5.2.0!!!!!!

If there is a speed value on the cache page then I'm almost certain the wrong version of POI Loader is being used because the macro does NOT enter a speed value in the GPX file.

POI Loader will automatically create a distance based on speed if it finds a speed value in the gpx file name or cache name. If the cache name is something like Name@20, the @20 is assumed to be a speed and POI Loader will calculate distance by mutiplying 36 times the speed. Some earlier versions had a bug in this respect and created these values in error.

If you see a distance value and speed=0 then the macro is being run in advanced mode using a Proximity alert. For geocaching use TourGuide which is a radius alert. The Proximity alerts are used for Red Light Cameras and other types of POI's that are directly on your traveled route.

Anyone that doesn't like the macro can simply delete it and PM me and I'll give you double your money back!!

I tried the macro and like it a lot. I have a few small suggestions and questions:

a) I have > 2600 caches and waypoints in my gsak db, but poiloader reports only loading 2048 onto my nuvi360. Is that a limit of the nuvi, the poi loader? Or is there a way to configure that to be larger?

:unsure: Would it be possible to reduce the 'TourGuide' prefix that pops up for the alerts to just 'TG' and to use the won space for a longer cache name? Or is that 'TourGuide' text part of the nuvi firmware

c) Someone was recommending/requesting 'spoliersync'. I found that GASK has this functionality built in: under 'Database' select 'Grab Images'

Now we need a way to the macro/POIloader to copy those pictured to the nuvi and link them so one can access them from the cache page (eg by pressing the geocaching logo on the top right?)

d) for some reason the cache pages on my nuvi350 do not contain the info on travelbugs? Did I miss a setting?

e) I used the macro with distance 0 for the travelguide and I do get it to alert, though I don't know how it determines when to alert with distance set to 0.

thanks for this fantastic macro!

a) I have > 2600 caches and waypoints in my gsak db, but poiloader reports only loading 2048 onto my nuvi360. Is that a limit of the nuvi, the poi loader? Or is there a way to configure that to be larger?

The limitation is available memory. Did you check found/unavailable/placed?

:unsure: Would it be possible to reduce the 'TourGuide' prefix that pops up for the alerts to just 'TG' and to use the won space for a longer cache name? Or is that 'TourGuide' text part of the nuvi firmware

no control over that

c) Someone was recommending/requesting 'spoliersync'. I found that GASK has this functionality built in: under 'Database' select 'Grab Images'

Now we need a way to the macro/POIloader to copy those pictured to the nuvi and link them so one can access them from the cache page (eg by pressing the geocaching logo on the top right?)

This might be more difficult than it seems.

d) for some reason the cache pages on my nuvi350 do not contain the info on travelbugs? Did I miss a setting?

Just checked a GPX file for the 3xx series, the TB are there. Are you sure about that?

e) I used the macro with distance 0 for the travelguide and I do get it to alert, though I don't know how it determines when to alert with distance set to 0.

If there is a TourGuide audio file attached and no other proximity alert information is available, POI Loader assigns an alert distance of 0.25 miles.

I've been using GSAK since version 1 but I'm a noob when it comes to writing GSAK macros. I've been playing with some customizations to make the output like I would like it but so far have mostly failed in grand fashion on everything but a couple minor things. I have a 200W so I have created some wav files for proximity alerts that say "Approaching Virtual Cache", "Approaching Event Cache", "Approaching Multicache", etc...... What I've been unsuccessfully attempting to do, is create a loop in the output of Traditional cache types so that it outputs seperate Traditional GPX files by container (i.e. Traditional-Micro TourGuide.gpx, Traditional-Small TourGuide.gpx, etc.) so I can have alerts that say "Approaching Traditional Micro Cache" etc. Is there an easy IF statement I could add to do this using MFILTER?

PS - I just took a 500 mile trip last week and this combined with caches along a route PQ is what I've been dreaming of for 4+ years of caching road trips! Sure does make it easy to keep up with approaching caches without keeping one eye on the GPS all the time.

Edited by clan_Barron

<snip>

What I've been unsuccessfully attempting to do, is create a loop in the output of Traditional cache types so that it outputs seperate Traditional GPX files by container (i.e. Traditional-Micro TourGuide.gpx, Traditional-Small TourGuide.gpx, etc.) so I can have alerts that say "Approaching Traditional Micro Cache" etc. Is there an easy IF statement I could add to do this using MFILTER?

We should call this the "slice and dice" option!! I'll take a look.

so what your saying is the macro is broke when it comes to starting the poiloader? what a pain, probably should just delete this code instead of releasing broken code.

Ver. 3.5.5 now displays an error message if POI Loader cannot be found instead of crashing. Download here.

<snip>

What I've been unsuccessfully attempting to do, is create a loop in the output of Traditional cache types so that it outputs seperate Traditional GPX files by container (i.e. Traditional-Micro TourGuide.gpx, Traditional-Small TourGuide.gpx, etc.) so I can have alerts that say "Approaching Traditional Micro Cache" etc. Is there an easy IF statement I could add to do this using MFILTER?

We should call this the "slice and dice" option!! I'll take a look.

A slice and dice option would be cool ! :huh::huh::)

Version 3.6: Slice and Dice option by user request. Traditionals by container size. To use check "Slice and Dice Traditionals?" on the advanced option form. All container sizes currently use the selected standard icon and alert.

Version 3.6: Slice and Dice option by user request. Traditionals by container size. To use check "Slice and Dice Traditionals?" on the advanced option form. All container sizes currently use the selected standard icon and alert.

Tested it when I got home and it's great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thanks!

I can get one picture to load with POI Loader linked to a POI (IF the filename is formatted just so for the fussy POIL), but I have not succeeded in getting multiple pics for the same POI, anyone have a clue how to format the GPX file to display multiple pics for a POI on the Nuvi?

67.jpg

Pressing image displays the picture...

I did the "Grab Images" but I am not seeing how to associate the images with the POI's from within the macro? You also get a lot more than just spoiler pics with this option.

FYI ...

We use jjreds' macro on our Nuvi 750. For a couple of years, we've used a similar, but limited in comparison, macro on our 60CSx. Seeing jjreds' work has pushed us to upgrade on the 60CSx. Although the screen formating isn't nearly as nice and colorful, the macro found here will allow you to get just about all of the cache page on most any Garmin Cx/CSx GPSr. It's a nice, immediate alternative to spending a small fortune on a new Oregon. :rolleyes:

Just upgraded to 3.6...

Available memory where? In the nuvi? That has quite a bit of space available...

After running POI loader which report 2048 POIs loaded, I check the nuvi's (E:) capacity and

see: 456,716,288 bytes available..

:rolleyes: Would it be possible to reduce the 'TourGuide' prefix that pops up for the alerts to just 'TG' and to use the won space for a longer cache name? Or is that 'TourGuide' text part of the nuvi firmware

no control over that

Ok. I had to ask.. Thanks

I see you managed to get at least one pic. thanks for that !

Just checked a GPX file for the 3xx series, the TB are there. Are you sure about that?

Here are 2 nuvi screenshots that shows a local cache:

178uo8.th.png

74dv2.th.png

note: no TBs listed. The nuvi was just reloaded using the 3.6 macro from a PQ run last night...

The same cache at geocaching.com this morning:

gc1dmahgctv3.th.jpg

and here is how GSAK's DB has it (with TBs:)

gc1dmahgaskmg0.th.jpg

PS: sorry about the messed up quoting, no idea why it doesn't take for me

Edited by sejtam

Just upgraded to 3.6...

mea culpa. I found that the POI loader was looking in c:\program files\gask\poiloader while the macro was placing its files in c:\program files\gsak\POI Loader\<dbname>

Apparently the poi loader is not called with the relevant DB poi loader file, If I once ran it from one DB, switching DBs will place the output files into that DB's POI Loader folder, but the poiloader itself will still look in the other folder?

I still haven't got the picture going though. will need to play with this some more..

Here is one more issue.

The cache I talked about above (GC1DMAH) has a %found code of N

as shown in the title (QuarryCOuching/Tra/N/GC1DMAH*)

but in fact the last log entry was a note by the owner, before which was a Found.

Should this not be shown differently? Or is that a gsak issue?

Need beta testers for spoiler pics.

Wanted 300-Series, 800-Series, Colorado. I'll work with the first one or two of each type that contact me.

Working ok on 200-series, should work ok on 6&7 series as well.

PM me with your GPSr model and I'll send you a link to a .gpi file created by the latest version of the advanced macro full of caches with spoiler pics.

If it works OK I'll send you a link to download and upgrade. Once the beta testers are satisfied I'll release it.

At this point spoilers are limited to one per waypoint. SpoilerSync will need to be installed. Everything you need will be on the download page. A new macro SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk will also need to be installed. Due to the increasing complexity of the advanced macro, the majority of the spoiler code resides in this separate macro which is called as a subroutine from the advanced macro.

Because SpoilerSync creates some very unique filenames which are not acceptable to the POI Loader I had to use the command line to create a file listing and rename the spoiler files for POIL. In one instance I was unable to work around the space in the folder name "POI Loader" so be forewarned, when upgrading to ver 4.0 the new path for POIL will be ....gsak\POI_Loader

Edited by jjreds

Just upgraded to 3.6...

Available memory where? In the nuvi? That has quite a bit of space available...

After running POI loader which report 2048 POIs loaded, I check the nuvi's (E:) capacity and

see: 456,716,288 bytes available..

:rolleyes: Would it be possible to reduce the 'TourGuide' prefix that pops up for the alerts to just 'TG' and to use the won space for a longer cache name? Or is that 'TourGuide' text part of the nuvi firmware

no control over that

Ok. I had to ask.. Thanks

I see you managed to get at least one pic. thanks for that !

Here are 2 nuvi screenshots that shows a local cache:

178uo8.th.png

74dv2.th.png

note: no TBs listed. The nuvi was just reloaded using the 3.6 macro from a PQ run last night...

The same cache at geocaching.com this morning:

gc1dmahgctv3.th.jpg

and here is how GSAK's DB has it (with TBs:)

gc1dmahgaskmg0.th.jpg

PS: sorry about the messed up quoting, no idea why it doesn't take for me

You may have some older files there - the advanced macro doesn't load the geologo.

I just checked again, Travel Bugs are definitely being loaded. Save all of your custom icons and sound files if you use them and delete all of the .gpx files in your POI Loader upload folder. You likely have old files/multiple folders.

179.jpg

Just upgraded to 3.6...

mea culpa. I found that the POI loader was looking in c:\program files\gask\poiloader while the macro was placing its files in c:\program files\gsak\POI Loader\<dbname>

Apparently the poi loader is not called with the relevant DB poi loader file, If I once ran it from one DB, switching DBs will place the output files into that DB's POI Loader folder, but the poiloader itself will still look in the other folder?

I still haven't got the picture going though. will need to play with this some more..

Point POIL to ....gsak\POI Loader

It will load all of the subfolders (databases).

Edited by jjreds

Here is one more issue.

The cache I talked about above (GC1DMAH) has a %found code of N

as shown in the title (QuarryCOuching/Tra/N/GC1DMAH*)

but in fact the last log entry was a note by the owner, before which was a Found.

Should this not be shown differently? Or is that a gsak issue?

%found is for your finds. Right click a waypoint in gsak and set cache status to found.

The cache correctly shows the last four finds as found (FFFF)

161.jpg

Edited by jjreds

Excellent macro (version 3.6) that I have just started using with my Colorado with the latest firmware update.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting some of my Finds exported even though I don't have the check box ticked. Would I be right in thinking that the selection criteria should be checking against OwnerName instead of the PlacedBy database variable? Many of my caches have a different PlacedBy value from my caching name.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Excellent macro (version 3.6) that I have just started using with my Colorado with the latest firmware update.

One thing I have noticed is that I am getting some of my Finds exported even though I don't have the check box ticked. Would I be right in thinking that the selection criteria should be checking against OwnerName instead of the PlacedBy database variable? Many of my caches have a different PlacedBy value from my caching name.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Are you talking about found or placed caches?

For Finds: The macro does not use $d_PlacedBy for determining finds. It uses the database variable $d_Found.

Ah, yes. Apologies - I was meaning some of my Placed caches appear in my Unfound list. It seems to be those where PlacedBy is different from my GC ID.

You are correct. The macro matches the geocaching.com user ID with the "Placed By" to find "Placed" caches. If you are the owner but they were placed under another ID then there should not be a match. Edit the GSAK "Placed By" to your GC ID to correctly match your placed matches.

Surely the answer would be to use $d_OwnerName (rather than $d_PlacedBy) in the macro as this in the only really accurate variable for determining my (or anyone's) caches. The GSAK help file probably puts it better than I can.

Added owner name to the database

I am surprised it took so long to be taken to task on this one. When GSAK was first set up I got a little cute by deciding that "placed by" was the same as "owner name" (in the GPX file I was interrogating at the time they were all the same). This saved space in the database and where "owner name" was required in the GPX export I just substituted the "placed by". Groundspeak allow you to have a "Placed by" and an "owner". Though they are usually the same, there are in fact many instances when they can be different. I have now added this field to the database.

Surely the answer would be to use $d_OwnerName (rather than $d_PlacedBy) in the macro as this in the only really accurate variable for determining my (or anyone's) caches. The GSAK help file probably puts it better than I can.

Ok I'll change it.

Great Macro - Nuvi 760 User Report

I have used this macro a few weeks, also last week when on holiday in Tuscany, Italy.

Yesterday, I upgraded to V4.1 (will upgrade and test 4.1.1 today), and here is what I can comment so far:

The build in icons is all to small for my 50+ eyes, so I like to use my own 24x24 with bright green background (to improve visibility on the map).

Why is the Child waypoint icons the same as the parent icon. I think it is better to have the "right" icons for e.g. Parking, Reference Point, Trailhead and so on..

I choosed not to show my own caches, but they are all shown and alerted.

The alert audio "bell" is all to loud compared to the navigation audio. My wife has started to complain about the audio ;) Is there other audio files easily available.

What would be nice, is to choose icon types and audio file for each type of cache (19 ?)

Regarding the 7xx Garmin problem, what I have noticed, is that if I turn on the Nuvi at a location where there is one or more caches within the alert distance set in the macro, the 760 freezes or turns itself off about 2 out of 3 times.

Also, when driving towards an area with several caches (or child waypoints) at the same distance, the 760 map freezes, and the GPS have to be restarted.

Another Issue is that the Nordic letters e.g. Æ, Ø and Å is missing in the Geocache Name, but it is correct in the name left to the Go! (Norwegian: Kjør!) as shown in this screen shots (click for full size):

230906.jpeg

230908.jpeg

A few more things:

Is it possible to implement an option to have the Hint before the Description ?

Maybe not possible, but what I would like, is to have different Alert Distance in areas with high cache density, like in the little town of Oslo, where we now have more than 500 caches, while on the countryside, it may be a very long distance between caches. Also, an Alert Distance setting pr cache type would be useful.

Edited by Catch

The alert audio "bell" is all to loud compared to the navigation audio. My wife has started to complain about the audio ;) Is there other audio files easily available.

What would be nice, is to choose icon types and audio file for each type of cache (19 ?)

At least for TTS voices one can raise the voice level. That would then allow one to reduce the overall volume.

http://showcase.netins.net/web/notchfamily...GarminsTTS.html

also interesting is:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?...p=417925#417925

I'll turn down the volume in the next release and look at some of these other issues as well.

Great jjreds, I really look forward for the next release :)

Btw, since I upgraded the Nuvi 760 with SW 3.10 here the other day, the freeze and turn-off problem seems to be more frequent. :laughing:

Great Macro - Nuvi 760 User Report

I have used this macro a few weeks, also last week when on holiday in Tuscany, Italy.

Yesterday, I upgraded to V4.1 (will upgrade and test 4.1.1 today), and here is what I can comment so far:

The build in icons is all to small for my 50+ eyes, so I like to use my own 24x24 with bright green background (to improve visibility on the map).

Why is the Child waypoint icons the same as the parent icon. I think it is better to have the "right" icons for e.g. Parking, Reference Point, Trailhead and so on..

Agree. Anyone have the following 16x16 w/ magenta background for Garmin?

Parking Area

Question to Answer

Stages of a Multicache

Trailhead

Reference Point

This is definitely working maybe POIL picked up the wrong file?

The alert audio "bell" is all to loud compared to the navigation audio. My wife has started to complain about the audio :laughing: Is there other audio files easily available.

Ver 4.1.2 has a lower volume, I hope it's not too low.

You can have your own icons now by selecting use my icons from the advanced option form and substituting the files found in ....\gask\Temp

Another Issue is that the Nordic letters e.g. Æ, Ø and Å is missing in the Geocache Name, but it is correct in the name left to the Go! (Norwegian: Kjør!)

goto tools, options and add those characters to characters to keep for smart names. You may have to upgrade gsak to the latest version for this to work correctly - there was some discussion of this over in the Pilot's thread

A few more things:

Possibly in a future version.

Maybe not possible, but what I would like, is to have different Alert Distance in areas with high cache density, like in the little town of Oslo, where we now have more than 500 caches, while on the countryside, it may be a very long distance between caches. Also, an Alert Distance setting pr cache type would be useful.

I did start work on alert distance by type but haven't finished it yet.

Anyone have the following 16x16 w/ magenta background for Garmin?

Parking Area

Question to Answer

Stages of a Multicache

Trailhead

Reference Point

I have Parking, Trailhead and Reference Points one that I use and would be glad to send you if you still need them

I did start work on alert distance by type but haven't finished it yet.

That would be cool since I already manually set different alert distances for different chace types

This is definitely working maybe POIL picked up the wrong file?

No, I am sure that POIL picks up the right file, so I must be doing something else wrong. All my own caches is still found on the map, and in the POI list. Here is my settings:

31a0dc64-a6c5-462a-88ea-b1ccfe9fa38e.jpg

6813e26d-2457-4fc4-977e-eb63a143da70.jpg

8111e62c-b557-4879-8fb7-aff338e533ba.jpg

"All" is my database in GSAK.

Another Issue is that the Nordic letters e.g. Æ, Ø and Å is missing in the Geocache Name, but it is correct in the name left to the Go! (Norwegian: Kjør!)

goto tools, options and add those characters to characters to keep for smart names. You may have to upgrade gsak to the latest version for this to work correctly - there was some discussion of this over in the Pilot's thread

I have always had thoose characters to keep set as this:

80699158-af1a-47b9-a247-669ca12c7528.jpg

The Nordic characters works when I use the GarminCsvPoiExport macro... :rolleyes:

Possibly in a future version.

I think the way I will be using the POIs from this excellent macro, is that I will read the cache description in GSAK or online either before I go caching, or when I am to log the cache when returning home.

When out caching, what I normally looks for first, is the hint, and if I don't find the cache, I read the description, to find info that may useful to find the cache. Maybe it is only me that is caching this way ? :rolleyes:

I'll turn down the volume in the next release and look at some of these other issues as well.

Upgrading to 4.1.2, the alert audio level is now equal to the navigation guide audio, and it sounds pefect in my car. :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch

I've tried running the new Spoilersync macro and keep getting the error "Can't find .LOC file" when Spoilersync starts running. As I reasd the code, this should be stored in the GSAK temp folder and I can not see it there.

Upgrading to 4.1.2, the alert audio level is now equal to the navigation guide audio, and it sounds pefect in my car. :rolleyes:

Good. Sending you a PM.

I've tried running the new Spoilersync macro and keep getting the error "Can't find .LOC file" when Spoilersync starts running. As I reasd the code, this should be stored in the GSAK temp folder and I can not see it there.

I just searched the whole computer and the LOC file is nowhere to be found. :rolleyes:

I'm aware of this problem and haven't been able to duplicate it on my system [yet]. The SS macro should be creating 2 files: <database>.loc a simple file of the waypoint names in the database to run through SS and <database>.ini the settings file used by SS with file locations and options. Both of these files should be created in ....gsak\Temp\SpoilerSync

I have reports from 2 others with the same problem. I'm going to add some error checking code to see if we can get to the bottom of this bug. Anyone sees an issue with the code here pls jump in and set me straight!!

Those using the spoiler option pls upgrade the spoiler macro to ver 1.1 using the update button. Let me know if the missing folder problem is fixed or if you get an error message. Thanks. I'll be away for about 8-10 hrs.