Advanced Nuvi Macro

Newbie (to macro) question.

I have a Nuvi 350. It appears that I am getting the file uploaded to the Nuvi SD card (where I request it to go). But I do not know how to get Nuvi to see the SD card and know there is interesting stuff there!

Any short cut help appreciated.

Ken

I have a Nuvi 350. It appears that I am getting the file uploaded to the Nuvi SD card (where I request it to go). But I do not know how to get Nuvi to see the SD card and know there is interesting stuff there!

Ken

Where to?

My Locations

Custom POIs

Should do the trick.

I need Help ... I have spent several days trying to figure out the problem I am having. I have followed all of your steps and have started from scratch a couple of times. After POI Loader is done I can see where the caches are but there is no MORE button to read descriptions. Any child point has the more button and I can read it's description but not for the regular caches.

I have a Nuvi 880.

I have installed POILoader version 252 and 253 with same results.

I have opened Earth TourGuide.gpx with notepad and the description is in the GPX file.

Please Help

Louis

Two things come to mind:

1) Latest Nuvi firmware? Check for upgrades. Report your version and anyone with a 8xx got it working?

2) Since you have the more button with child points maybe it is a description size or location problem. Rerun the macro using 2xxW or 5xx for the model and report back if that fixes it. As a last resort try 3xx.

j

I also have a Nuvi 880. Did not have a more button either. I used 5xx & it seems to be working. I'm leaving on vaction so I might not check back for awhile unless I have problems.

Thanks!

crc

I had the exact same problem using the 885T. Set it to the 7** series and it works fine except the regular font is too large for the screen.

In advanced options is "Display Large Text?" checked?

Sending large #'s of logs to any model will slow it down. Use the minimum # you can live with.

v7.2.9 fix for 800-Series Nuvi.

Hi jjreds. Awesome work you are continuously doing here to keep your macro updated based on all our users' input and suggestions!! Well done my man!! This is the single best utility available to improve our Garmins! You Rock!

Hey, if we can get you hired at Garmin, could you give us firmware updates as quickly? :)

Ken

Where to?

My Locations

Custom POIs

Should do the trick.

Thanks, but

That, of course, works when the pois are loaded in the nuvi on board memory...does not nudge the nuvi to look on the SD card. ????

Ken

First may I ask why you don't load your POIs to the internal memory? There is plenty of available memory. I have over 2K caches with 5 logs each and it's only 25Mb. But if you want to load them to your SD card try this. Not sure if it works as I don't own a Nuvi but I played with a friends Nuvi.

On the card while connected via USB create a folder named Garmin, and within that folder create another folder named POI. It would look like Drive:/Garmin/POI, and put the POIs in the POI folder. When booting up it may ask if you want the data saved to the internal drive. You can choose No to keep them on the card. It may ask you this at each boot up.

Ken

Where to?

My Locations

Custom POIs

Should do the trick.

Thanks, but

That, of course, works when the pois are loaded in the nuvi on board memory...does not nudge the nuvi to look on the SD card. ????

Works on my 350 & I only load them to the card. :)

I had the exact same problem using the 885T. Set it to the 7** series and it works fine except the regular font is too large for the screen.

In advanced options is "Display Large Text?" checked?

Sending large #'s of logs to any model will slow it down. Use the minimum # you can live with.

v7.2.9 fix for 800-Series Nuvi.

No, I made sure that the large text was not checked. I have a 750 also and it is a smaller font with the same exact settings.

Edited by CDS231

Hey guys, Great work on this. Just have a couple of questions.

Can I run this macro on any database I have in gsak?

Does it matter what database is open in gsak when I run this macro since we select the database in the popup box?

Do we have to run PQ first or can we use a database already in gsak?

Also is there any way to delete everything in the nuvi so we can start "clean". Ive read that the current.gpx file retains info. I have read the entire posting trying to follow everything and I am 98% there. Is there a standard set of boxes that need to be checked when running the macro?

IE, I have databases named for each of the states my geocaches are in, Missouri, Florida etc. If I want to add each of these to my nuvi 755T, I know I can run the macro for each database but does it matter what database is open in gsak at the time. I seem to be getting a waypoint loaded that ive deleted in my Missouri database so im thinking its stuck in the current.gpx.

thanks for all the help.

Aaron

Yes, any database in GSAK. Doesn't matter which database you have open at the time. Macro will generate a different folder under the GSAK folder for each database you process. Then, when you run POILoader, it will generate separate categories with the same names as the databases you processed.

The "current.gpx" file on your nuvi is a "mirror" of the internal "Favorites". You have to empty that too. There is an undocumented way to do just what you are asking. On the 660, you press and hold the upper lefthand corner while booting the nuvi. It will then come up in Maintenance Mode. On that screen, choose "Clear Waypoint". This will clear the Favorites list (as well as reset some of the options like Avoidances, etc.)

Each model is different on how to get to that screen.

One thing to watch out for. If you have any waypoints in your Favorites that you want to save (like your mother-in-law's house), copy the "current.gpx" from the nuvi before you "Clear Waypoints". You can edit this file down to your "extras" and then copy it back in.

Then you can copy in a generated "nearest 400" caches generated from the GSAK export into the nuvi's gpx folder.

The nuvi will consolidate all of the .gpx files in it's gpx folder into one "current.gpx" (and delete all of files you copied in - they are treated as tempory files). Remember that your nuvi has a waypoint limit (mine is 500). So, be sure the number of waypoints in the .gpx files total less than your max. Otherwise, some will drop out. And you won't have any room to add any new ones.

One more thing. If you've set your "Go Home" in the nuvi, it's saved in the Favorites list (internal) and will be deleted when you "Clear Waypoints". It's a pain to keep resetting it. So, in the "current.gpx" that you edit down, make sure there is one called HOME (in caps). It must be in caps or the nuvi won't recognize it as the "Go Home" waypoint. It's a reserved Garmin word.

I have one .gpx for friends.gpx, one for work locations and then the "current 400.gpx. Works just fine. I just remember to recopy all three files to the nuvi each time I "Clear Waypoints".

As for your "Missouri" ghost cache, you might check all of the other database to make sure it isn't in one of the others as well.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Cache O Plenty,

Thanks for the info. What is the poi.gpi file in the gsak/poiloader folder? Is it created each time I run macro?

Also what is the position.gpx file and what does it do?

You mention you can "edit down" the current gpx; Meaning i can open that file and manipulate it somehow? Please explain.

If I have version 3.4 on my 755t im guessing i still cant run the tourguide thing without a hiccupp. How do I not include that tourguide thing when running the macro?

And finally, can I delete what is in the gsak/poiloader folder without any consequences since when I run the macro again it will just add to whats there?

Thanks again for all the help.

Aaron

Edited by jamalone

Multiple questions, one at a time.....

poi.gpi is the file that contains the POIs (points of interest) that the nuvi uses. It is generated by the POILoader program. The macro generates the GPX files (and a number of others - .mp3, .jpg, etc.) and puts them into one folder (and subfolders) so that the next time POILoader is run, it generates the poi.gpi file and then loads it onto your nuvi. You can add other POI files here that you can get from other sources so that the POI Loader will load them all.

I don't know what the "position.gpx" file is. Where are you seeing that? In the nuvi? Or on your PC somewhere?

Edit down: I meant that you can import it into GSAk (or some other editor) and then modify the records within it. I've imported mine and reduced to just 4 waypoints. HOME (i mentioned that one), Spag (thats one for the monthly Meet and Greet), TV (our timeshare) and one more. I then can add/subtract from it and then export it to a file. I copy that file to the nuvi each time I "Clear Waypoints" so I can get the HOME waypoint (and the others) without re-entering them each time.

Can't address the question about the tourguide hiccup. I think that was addressed elsewhere. That is specific to the 700 series, I think.

There shouldn't be anything in the <drive>:\Program Files\GSAK\POI_Loader\ folder except folders for each database. These folders can be removed and then regenerated if you want. That's how I delete vacation databases that I no longer need. (Note: I'd copy anything I am considering for deletion to a "Temp" folder before I actually delete it - just in case).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Thanks again.

Seeing the position.gpx on the nuvi where the current.gpx file is. I looked again to be sure and it wasnt there anymore. Maybe it disappeared when I cleared everything on the nuvi. oh well. I think that should about do it for my questions. Thanks again for making it simple.

Aaron

I ran the macro again to test. I have the file named poi.gpi in my nuvi 755 in the folder called "Poi". There is a folder called "ddb" as well. There is also a file on the nuvi in the folder named "GPX" called Current.gpx and a folder called "Archive". Is this where the files are supposed to go? I cleared out the POI_Loader folder and reset unit to clear it out. Ran macro on the Kansas database. When checking the nuvi I went to Extras,Custom POI, and saw Traditional, Virtual, and All Categories, but no Kansas folder. What happened?

Thanks

Aaron

Edited by jamalone

Ken

First may I ask why you don't load your POIs to the internal memory? There is plenty of available memory. I have over 2K caches with 5 logs each and it's only 25Mb. But if you want to load them to your SD card try this. Not sure if it works as I don't own a Nuvi but I played with a friends Nuvi.

On the card while connected via USB create a folder named Garmin, and within that folder create another folder named POI. It would look like Drive:/Garmin/POI, and put the POIs in the POI folder. When booting up it may ask if you want the data saved to the internal drive. You can choose No to keep them on the card. It may ask you this at each boot up.

Thanks for the reply.

That is bad news for me. That is exactly what I did (create a folder). and it doesn't work. It is like the Nuvi doesn't even know there is a card mounted. Using explorer on the PC all the files are on the card.

So, I must have a bad Nuvi.. unless somewhere there is a setting that says to look there at boot up.

Thanks for all imput.

The current.gpx file contains your favorites, and the track log (trip log.) When the track log gets to be around 10,000 track points, it creates another file for the older points. These files, 1.gpx, 2.gpx, etc are in the Archive subfolder. So, your current.gpx file contains the favorites you created in the Nuvi and the most recent trip/track log points (for those units that keep a trip log) and Panoramio photo positions (for those units that have this feature.)

If you have a position.gpx file, it is created by the Nuvi based on your last position for a quicker fix.

The poi.gpi file is created by the Macro and has all the caches. It is in the POI folder. There is plenty of room in the internal memory. The only reason I can see to use an SD card is if you are loading many photos, or have extra maps.

Edited by EScout

I ran the macro again to test. I have the file named poi.gpi in my nuvi 755 in the folder called "Poi". There is a folder called "ddb" as well. There is also a file on the nuvi in the folder named "GPX" called Current.gpx and a folder called "Archive". Is this where the files are supposed to go? I cleared out the POI_Loader folder and reset unit to clear it out. Ran macro on the Kansas database. When checking the nuvi I went to Extras,Custom POI, and saw Traditional, Virtual, and All Categories, but no Kansas folder. What happened?

Thanks

Aaron

If you only ran one database (ie. Kansas) then the POILoader doesn't bother creating a file level of just one category and doesn't bother to show it onscreen. If you did two databases (Kansas and Missouri), then the nuvi would create two categories and thus the nuvi would display them separately so you could choose which one you wanted. Intuitive efficiency.

If you have a position.gpx file, it is created by the Nuvi based on your last position for a quicker fix.

Thanks for this info. I don't have the later models of the nuvi so I'm not familar with this feature. I've heard that the later versions automatically save the last point when it's disconnected from the car (supposedly so you can find your way back to where you parked). Is this "position.gpx" the file that it creates?

Thanks guys,

I ran using three databases and they all showed up with names, Missouri, Kansas, Alabama. Great! Now I just need to make sure that all of the waypoints are in the nuvi as I have over 500 in the databases that were supposed to be transferred over. If I want to use the SD Card how do I tell it the poi loader to do that and when? Do I run my databases thru the macro and when loading thru the poi loader tell it to go the custom folder on the card (garmin/poi). Where will they show up on the nuvi, the favorites folder correct?

Also what is the star (asteric *) after the GCname on the nuvi. Some have it some dont.

Aaron

Edited by jamalone

I believe the "*" means there is a Travel Bug in the cache.

Don't know how to have the nuvi point to the SD card versus the internal POI file. I never use the SD card although I have one in it (mostly so I don't lose the card, I guess).

Seems the SD card is for maps, primarily.

As for the 500, don't worry about that number. It only applies to the 500 waypoint limit in the "Favorites" section. POIs don't have a limit that anyone has reached yet. I have over 5000 caches in my POI file.

Let me start with the assumption I can be really dense at times... want to download the latest version of the macro... went to the top of the topic and cannot find the link... where am I to find it... sorry for taking away from the discussion...

See - I found it... getting use to using Firefox and the link was not highlighted...

Edited by Voyageurs60

Export GPX files by cache type for POI Loader

Thanks to Clyde, Kai Team, cron, and pilotsnipes

Scroll down for latest version.

This macro expands on the paperless notion with the following features:

* Multiple database support

* GPX files created by cache type

* Bitmaps created by cache type

* Option to run POI loader from the macro

* Include/exclude founds

* Include/exclude unavailable

* Travel bugs included

* Nuvi POI's sorted by database and type

* Deletes old versions of gpx files so you always have the latest data

* The various cache icons are included with the macro - automatically!!

Requires POI Loader 2.5.2.0

GSAK 7.2 Series

Pocket Queries from Geocaching.com

Opening menu:

menu1.jpg

Option to process another database or load the Nuvi

menu2.jpg

Connect your Nuvi and when ready press the Nuvi Connected button

menu3.jpg

Due to the mutiple database support all files will be created in the ....\GSAK\POI Loader folder.

Each database will be in its own folder named the same as the database. All of the files, folders and bitmaps are created and named according to their GSAK type automatically by the macro!! Just sit back and enjoy!!

menu4.jpg

Now your Nuvi has a list of your databases!!! Your can sort any way you want. Is this too much power?

61.jpg

When you open the database on the Nuvi you get the types like thiis......

73.jpg

Here's one I found today....

81.jpg

Let's not forget the travel bugs!!!

145.jpg

NOTE:

The POI Loader must be run manually the first time to remember the folder location. After that you can be on autopilot.

I'm new to this and haven't placed any caches [yet] and some of the obsure types don't have icons because I wasn't sure which one to use, I used the footprints for placed, if that's wrong it's easy to fix. Let me know how you like it and what needs to be changed/fixed and Happy Caching to ALL!!

Download latest version here: [/url]http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download

jjreds

I downloaded the gsak and the Garmin POI loader and ran both programs. When I open the GSAK and the POI Loader, I am not getting any type of screen that looks like the ones you pasted to your posting. Also, the only files "my" POI Loader is reading is the gsak file. When it lodes them to my Nuvi 260W, all I get is the Waypoint name and just the name of the cache. I dont have any of the other options shown on your posting. Is there another file I need to download, because the two I have are not getting me the results everyone else is getting. Please help.

Finally everything works like it supposed to except one thing, not sure if anyone else has had the same problem. When playing the media player (mp3 files) with sd card as source if I run across a geocache alert then the media player stops the mp3 file and starts it over at the beginning. The alert will sound, but then the media player stops. I have the 755T Nuvi, latest updates etc.

Also where can i find the mp3 alert files so I can change them?

thanks again for the great macro, its made my life so much simpler.

Aaron

Finally everything works like it supposed to except one thing, not sure if anyone else has had the same problem. When playing the media player (mp3 files) with sd card as source if I run across a geocache alert then the media player stops the mp3 file and starts it over at the beginning. The alert will sound, but then the media player stops. I have the 755T Nuvi, latest updates etc.

Also where can i find the mp3 alert files so I can change them?

thanks again for the great macro, its made my life so much simpler.

Aaron

Agree this macro is truly awesome!!

My Nuvi 350 goes to the next mp3 after playing an alert! Kind of annoying, so I usually just leave 'em off...I usually know where I'm going!

Mike

Ken

Hey, proud 350 user here!

On your sd card, make a /garmin folder. Under that, make an "MP3" folder, if you want tunes. Also make a "Poi" folder.

Inside the Poi folder, put your one poi.gpi file.

Start the Nuvi. After it's finished loading maps, a box will pop up: "New data found on card." Hit "Ok" and it WILL COPY all data to your memory! I hit "cancel," and you can use the data on the card.

A good reason for doing it this way: I have my alert limit set to 10000 feet! In a big city, my Nuvi can get so busy alerting me that it kind of gets overloaded. When that happens I can pop out the SD card so it forgets all the caches. Change the alert mode to "Off," then I can pop the card back in and look for caches individually. Pop the card back in and the "New Data" box pops up again.

Garmin Nuvi's are awesome, and so is this Macro!!

Mike

I ran into a problem but I'm not sure whats going on. I just upgraded to 7.29 from 7.14 and I no longer get alerts. I doubled check my settings and I don't see any changes I may of made. I do see the icons on the map when I drive by the caches and I can bring up the poi database on the gps and goto to the poi or read the description.

I created the file several times and removed the old and sent the new to my Nuvi 760. I still received no alerts. I check and the bitmaps and mp3 files are in my data directory before I sent them to the gps.

Tonight I put 7.14 back on my gps and all was well. I am getting the alerts again. I been upgrading versions every couple weeks since I got the gps in November and haven't ran into this problem before.

Steve

Hi JJ.

A friend of mine that also uses your macro made a sugestion.

He would like to have the caches with trackables on its own category.

I can see the interest of this so thats why I am putting out a request to add an option "Slice Trackables" that would separate the caches with bugs/coins into its own category "Trackables" with its own icon very much the same way as your Slice and Dice Traditionals feature.

But this would be a separate option of course.

Can this be done?

I ran into a problem but I'm not sure whats going on. I just upgraded to 7.29 from 7.14 and I no longer get alerts. I doubled check my settings and I don't see any changes I may of made. I do see the icons on the map when I drive by the caches and I can bring up the poi database on the gps and goto to the poi or read the description.

I created the file several times and removed the old and sent the new to my Nuvi 760. I still received no alerts. I check and the bitmaps and mp3 files are in my data directory before I sent them to the gps.

Tonight I put 7.14 back on my gps and all was well. I am getting the alerts again. I been upgrading versions every couple weeks since I got the gps in November and haven't ran into this problem before.

Steve

1) Does the gpx filename contain the word "TourGuide"?

2) Is there a "<gpxx:Proximity>distance</gpxx:Proximity>" statement for the cache where distance = the macro setting in the gpx output file?

3) Does the soundfile (mp3) play when you open it?

j

Hi JJ.

A friend of mine that also uses your macro made a sugestion.

He would like to have the caches with trackables on its own category.

I can see the interest of this so thats why I am putting out a request to add an option "Slice Trackables" that would separate the caches with bugs/coins into its own category "Trackables" with its own icon very much the same way as your Slice and Dice Traditionals feature.

But this would be a separate option of course.

Can this be done?

I think so. I'll have to take a look at it.

j

Steve

2) Is there a "<gpxx:Proximity>distance</gpxx:Proximity>" statement for the cache where distance = the macro setting in the gpx output file?

j

1) Yes

2) Some

But I did notice something now that you had me check it. I have the cache types set at 1000 feet and some child points like parking set at 0. When I looked at the gpx file the first cache listed the Proximity is set at 304.8 which is 1000 feet and I see the child proximity statements thruout the gpx output file with 0. But the other caches which should be 1000 I just see a blank line with no proximity statment.

I hope I'm making sense

3) Yes

Steve

Is there any way to get around the 'run the POI Loader manually the first time' ?

I made the mistake of using POI loader to add other POIs to the F::\ SDcard in my nuvi (the nuvi itself shows up as E:). So now I had to run the manual setup again just to get the macro' s output loaded..

Not only was the location of loaded the POIS from wrong, but it again installed things into F: :-( (luckily it seems tose were the same other POIs I had used it for, so my POIs should be ok!)

I assume that selecting

[ ] Ignore this file?

[ ] This file contains proximity alert points

for each of the files it found in C:\Program Files\gsak\POI Loader\nuvi

is the correct thing to do?

It would really be nice if the macro could somehow call the POI loader with all parameters required

and not require a dry-run first.

Steve

j

1) Yes

2) Some

But I did notice something now that you had me check it. I have the cache types set at 1000 feet and some child points like parking set at 0. When I looked at the gpx file the first cache listed the Proximity is set at 304.8 which is 1000 feet and I see the child proximity statements thruout the gpx output file with 0. But the other caches which should be 1000 I just see a blank line with no proximity statment.

I hope I'm making sense

3) Yes

Steve

Please send the following files

1) the gpx file

2) GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat

3) GPX_by_Cache_Type_Alerts.db3

Sending you an IM w/ my addy

j

Is there any way to get around the 'run the POI Loader manually the first time' ?

I made the mistake of using POI loader to add other POIs to the F::\ SDcard in my nuvi (the nuvi itself shows up as E:). So now I had to run the manual setup again just to get the macro' s output loaded..

Not only was the location of loaded the POIS from wrong, but it again installed things into F: :-( (luckily it seems tose were the same other POIs I had used it for, so my POIs should be ok!)

I assume that selecting

[ ] Ignore this file?

[ ] This file contains proximity alert points

for each of the files it found in C:\Program Files\gsak\POI Loader\nuvi

is the correct thing to do?

It would really be nice if the macro could somehow call the POI loader with all parameters required

and not require a dry-run first.

It's a Garmin problem - send a support request.

Good Luck

j

Steve

j

1) Yes

2) Some

I hope I'm making sense

3) Yes

Steve

Steve - thanks for pointing that out. Try v7.2.10

j

Steve

Steve - thanks for pointing that out. Try v7.2.10

j

I gave it a test tonight using the simulation mode. It seems to work great now with my normal settings. I'm getting all the alerts again :laughing: Thanks for the quick response on a holiday weekend!

But I did notice something when I was playing around with the "slice and dice" option. I have never used this option before. I get all the audio alerts and the Tourguide banner appears at the top but on some caches I do not get the "Tourguide Icon". So one can't tap the icon and go to it. Not sure whats up with that. Maybe it did that before with my settings but since I never used that option before I don't know. I was running this in simulation mode also.

I'm off tomorrow and will be out driving around. If I run into anymore alert issues I will let you know.

Steve

Pls send the invalid gpx file.

thks

j

I emailed one of the invalid files to you. Let me know if you want the other ones.

EDIT: I just emailed the rest of them to you as well (including the valid ones).

Edited by Teddy2k

Once I upgraded to v7.2.10 (GSAK v7.5.2.22), I'm getting the error shown below for all of the GPX files. It looks like it's because the forward slash needs to be a back slash.

errormzt.jpg

Found a problem w/ the child points.

Should be working in v7.2.11

j