Advanced Nuvi Macro

jjreds -- Great macro. This is so useful in allowing me to cache without paper with my Nuvi 370. One thing I noticed today though is that if you Slice & Dice the traditionals you lose ones that are marked as container "Not Chosen". Thanks for all your work on this.

I have several thousand Waymarks in GSAK that I was able to load in my Nuvi 205 last week. I have just upgraded to the new GPX macro and now I am unable to send the Waymarks from my GSAKdb to my Nuvi. Can anyone provide feedback on this problem. Also, does anyone know why some GC gpx files provide the last logs in the Nuvi view and others do not. Both of these worked with pilotsnipes macro 1.3 but do not seem to be functioning with this new 7.X version.

Thanks,

:rolleyes:

Problems with waymarks AGAIN! Sorry to be a rain in your parade, but I do waymarks as much as I do geocaching. Can you point me where in the script I can edit so that waymarks already marked as "found" in gsak be treated the same as geocaches marked "found" (they can be transferred or not to the GPSr). I have some found waymarks in my db, but the script transfers them to the GPSr, even if I do not select "Include found caches".

Also, can the Y/N "flag" for Found/Not Found be included in the title name for a waymark?

I'm working on a fix for "Found".

Change the Waymarking name format in advanced options to: %Name-%Found

j

Problems with waymarks AGAIN! Sorry to be a rain in your parade, but I do waymarks as much as I do geocaching. Can you point me where in the script I can edit so that waymarks already marked as "found" in gsak be treated the same as geocaches marked "found" (they can be transferred or not to the GPSr). I have some found waymarks in my db, but the script transfers them to the GPSr, even if I do not select "Include found caches".

Also, can the Y/N "flag" for Found/Not Found be included in the title name for a waymark?

j

Thanks buddy, that took care of my Waymark issue. I think I am beginning to really dig this macro, much faster than previous version. Previous version took over five hours to GSAK and POI to Nuvi what now just took about 15 minutes.

I still have a problem with the Past Log section though. I GPX'ed and POI'ed a list of AZ caches approx 3100 and got all the previous logs, however my load of TX caches, 18000, did not capture the Past Logs. I wonder if it is relative to the size of the GPX file in GSAK. I have in the past been able to get as many as 50,000 GSAK'ed GPX's through the POI loader to my Nuvi.

Any thoughts?

Hey everyone ,

I got this awesome macro working and used it for the first time over the weekend and it works great. The only question I have is I don't have the easy grab or the benchmark folders. are those databases I set up in GSAK? Thanks for any help in advance

PS jjreds great macro, thanks

I use this macro to load both my nuvi 780 and my Colorado 400t.

Is it possible to just create the GPX files once and load them to both units?

That makes the geocaching functionality of the Colorado pretty much useless. You could use the Colorado Export Macro so that you can use the Colorado to its full geocaching potential.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=10091

OK, let's clarify this for those who don't understand.

I load the Colorado with the GSAK macro first to retain the geocaching funtionality.

Then I use this macro to load found, unavailable, and all the caches in my database that exceed the 2000 cache limit of the Colorado.

The question is do I have to reprocess the database using the Advanced nuvi macro to load the POIs on the Colorado after processing them and loading them on the nuvi 7XX?

The question is do I have to reprocess the database using the Advanced nuvi macro to load the POIs on the Colorado after processing them and loading them on the nuvi 7XX?

No reprocessing, you're good to go. The only difference I've found is if you want spoiler photos you need to run that as either Nuvi or CO first.

No reprocessing, you're good to go. The only difference I've found is if you want spoiler photos you need to run that as either Nuvi or CO first.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case but I didn't want to try it and screw something up.

I haven't gotten into the spoiler macro yet so I'm good there.

I use this macro to download to my Colorado as well the Nuvi.

I dont really like the way the colorado organizes the info, I prefer to have the description, hint, logs all in the same screen without having to click buttons left and right.

Also the limit of 2000 is not good enough for me.

j

Thanks for your HARD work, we all really appreciate it! Found about the naming for waymarks after playing a while with the advanced settings. Sorry, I really do not know much about the GSAK "tags" since I am really a noob with this software yet I am slowly getting the "hang" of it.

Again, THANK YOU for this excellent macro!

Love the idea behind this type of macro but I'm having a bit of trouble. I ran this once successfully to my NUVI 680 but after adding a few additional caches for my run next week, I'm having a little difficulty with the macro's completion. I ran it but when I got to the end to run the POI loader (having pointed to the right POI_Loader folder) it said it couldn't find the POI loader. I can manually run POI loader and get the points into the NUVI but must be doing something wrong with the macro. Severe headache going on right now so that may be compounding my difficulties. Thanks for any help you can provide to a severely non-techie cacher. :)

<snip>

v7.2 now handles Waymarks as another cache type with most of the macro features supported including custom alerts.

j

Love the idea behind this type of macro but I'm having a bit of trouble. I ran this once successfully to my NUVI 680 but after adding a few additional caches for my run next week, I'm having a little difficulty with the macro's completion. I ran it but when I got to the end to run the POI loader (having pointed to the right POI_Loader folder) it said it couldn't find the POI loader. I can manually run POI loader and get the points into the NUVI but must be doing something wrong with the macro. Severe headache going on right now so that may be compounding my difficulties. Thanks for any help you can provide to a severely non-techie cacher. :)

Check to be sure the macro is pointing to the correct folder where your POILoader.exe is located. Just above the "Run POI Loader Only" button on the initial page of the macro is a dropdown box for that path. Mine says "C:\Program Files\Garmin"

I think I found another bug.

With "NO ALERTS" the macro does not extract the necessary BMP and WAV/MP3 files into the destination folder.

I can't duplicate. In my installation the bitmaps are copied. With "No Alerts" the sound files are not required.

j

When you run POI Loader, use Advanced and save the POI.GPI file to your desktop. Then copy the file to each device. The same file will work fine on both. I've been doing this for a year.

With "NO ALERTS" the macro does not extract the necessary BMP and WAV/MP3 files into the destination folder.

I can't duplicate. In my installation the bitmaps are copied. With "No Alerts" the sound files are not required.

j

JJ, I dont understand why it works differently seeing that it is the same code that is run.

I've noticed that your GETCHILDSYMBOL sub does not call the FILE_COPY Sub.

I've change the last IF to :

IF $AlertType = "Custom"

$Embedded_POIL_File=Replace("\","/",$Embedded_POIL_File)

$Embedded_POIL_File=Replace(" ","%20",$Embedded_POIL_File)

ELSE

$Database_POIL_File="$GPX_Output_Path\$DB\$Embedded_POIL_File"

GOSUB Name=File_Copy

$Embedded_POIL_File="$goofypath/$goofydb/$Embedded_POIL_File"

ENDIF

at the end of the sub and deleted $goofypath/$goofydb/ from the CASE lines and that seems to have solved the problem.

The custom Alert type does not copy anything because it points directly to the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS folder.

If in your case it doesnt delete the bmp's from the GPX Folder then you have a problem somewhere with it, because they are deleted on mine.

Another change I make in your macro to fix the proximity alert for child waypoints was to modify the childpoint routine in the Create_GPX_Files_for_Database sub to:

IF NOT ($AlertType="No Alerts")

$SQL_Data = sqlite("sql","select * from Child_Array where Code='$d_cType'")

$Proximity=EXTRACT($SQL_Data,";",3)

ELSE

$Proximity="0"

ENDIF

These two changes makes the macro work for me without using the Custom alert. (My Nuvi goes bezerk with anything else than NO ALERTS because of the amount of caches around here. :)

BTW JJ, could you please use a more darker color for the user notes?

In the nuvi's it reads fine against a black background but on the Colorado (not sure about the Oregon) the background is a light gray and it is very difficult to read in the daylight.

thanks

Edited by ZeMartelo

I think I'm getting a similar issue. When I try to run the macro, I get >100 pop-up stating that various *.bmp files are missing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by ThePachecos

jjreds -- Great macro. This is so useful in allowing me to cache without paper with my Nuvi 370. One thing I noticed today though is that if you Slice & Dice the traditionals you lose ones that are marked as container "Not Chosen". Thanks for all your work on this.

Fixed in v7.2.2

j

I need Help ... I have spent several days trying to figure out the problem I am having. I have followed all of your steps and have started from scratch a couple of times. After POI Loader is done I can see where the caches are but there is no MORE button to read descriptions. Any child point has the more button and I can read it's description but not for the regular caches.

I have a Nuvi 880.

I have installed POILoader version 252 and 253 with same results.

I have opened Earth TourGuide.gpx with notepad and the description is in the GPX file.

Please Help

Louis

j

JJ, I dont understand why it works differently seeing that it is the same code that is run.

I've noticed that your GETCHILDSYMBOL sub does not call the FILE_COPY Sub.

I've change the last IF to :

IF $AlertType = "Custom"

$Embedded_POIL_File=Replace("\","/",$Embedded_POIL_File)

$Embedded_POIL_File=Replace(" ","%20",$Embedded_POIL_File)

ELSE

$Database_POIL_File="$GPX_Output_Path\$DB\$Embedded_POIL_File"

GOSUB Name=File_Copy

$Embedded_POIL_File="$goofypath/$goofydb/$Embedded_POIL_File"

ENDIF

at the end of the sub and deleted $goofypath/$goofydb/ from the CASE lines and that seems to have solved the problem.

The custom Alert type does not copy anything because it points directly to the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS folder.

If in your case it doesnt delete the bmp's from the GPX Folder then you have a problem somewhere with it, because they are deleted on mine.

<snip>

They are not deleted. They were never there to start with nor do they need to be. The modification you propose has absolutely no effect on the output unless there is a problem with the qualified path in the link. You are just copying the file and changing the path. The key is the path NOT the file location. I will agree that the method used for symbol display in the macro is inconsistent.

You didn't mention in your original post that you were looking for child bitmaps in the output folder. They have never been copied from day 1. If you check on the GPS'r you will see that the proper symbol is displayed even though it is not copied to the output folder. Here is why......

For child symbols the path to the bitmap is found in the GPX output file. POI Loader follows the path using a <link href=> statement prior to the Garmin XML extensions to include the image in the poi.gpi file and subsequently display the proper symbol on the GPS'r. I found this quite by accident doing some trial and error learning how to display the proper symbol for child waypoints. This could be used for all symbols but currently is not. Example:

<link href="file://C:/gsak/TourGuide_Tools/Trailhead.bmp"/>

Your modification creates the bitmap in the output folder and then uses this for the link:

<link href="file://Trailhead.bmp"/>

Either way works. The end result is that the user gets the correct symbol displayed for a child waypoint.

Another change I make in your macro to fix the proximity alert for child waypoints was to modify the childpoint routine in the Create_GPX_Files_for_Database sub to:

IF NOT ($AlertType="No Alerts")

$SQL_Data = sqlite("sql","select * from Child_Array where Code='$d_cType'")

$Proximity=EXTRACT($SQL_Data,";",3)

ELSE

$Proximity="0"

ENDIF

These two changes makes the macro work for me without using the Custom alert. (My Nuvi goes bezerk with anything else than NO ALERTS because of the amount of caches around here. :ph34r:

Whether I select <No Alerts> for "Alert Type?" in advanced mode or select <Custom> and enter a "0" in the distance field on the child alert form I always get the following:

<gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>

These are the two cases when I would expect to see a zero. I don't see what is broken that you fixed?

BTW JJ, could you please use a more darker color for the user notes?

In the nuvi's it reads fine against a black background but on the Colorado (not sure about the Oregon) the background is a light gray and it is very difficult to read in the daylight.

thanks

The current color is orange. What color would you like?

j

I think I'm getting a similar issue. When I try to run the macro, I get >100 pop-up stating that various *.bmp files are missing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sounds like the TourGuide_Tools folder is missing/corrupt or has been renamed? Try deleting it and rerun the macro. The missing file error is displayed when the macro can't find the needed file in the TourGuide_Tools folder.

j

I need Help ... I have spent several days trying to figure out the problem I am having. I have followed all of your steps and have started from scratch a couple of times. After POI Loader is done I can see where the caches are but there is no MORE button to read descriptions. Any child point has the more button and I can read it's description but not for the regular caches.

I have a Nuvi 880.

I have opened Earth TourGuide.gpx with notepad and the description is in the GPX file.

Please Help

Louis

Two things come to mind:

1) Latest Nuvi firmware? Check for upgrades. Report your version and anyone with a 8xx got it working?

2) Since you have the more button with child points maybe it is a description size or location problem. Rerun the macro using 2xxW or 5xx for the model and report back if that fixes it. As a last resort try 3xx.

j

# MacDescription = Export GPX files by cache type w/spoiler pics for POI Loader 
# MacFileName =GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk 
# MacAuthor = jjreds thanks to cron/pilotsnipes/Clyde/Kai Team/Lignumaqua # MacUrl = http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download 
# MacVersion=7.2.1 SET $Macro_Version = "7.2.1"

You've forgotten to update the Version with the latest version.

# MacDescription = Export GPX files by cache type w/spoiler pics for POI Loader 
# MacFileName =GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk 
# MacAuthor = jjreds thanks to cron/pilotsnipes/Clyde/Kai Team/Lignumaqua # MacUrl = http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download 
# MacVersion=7.2.1 SET $Macro_Version = "7.2.1"

You've forgotten to update the Version with the latest version.

The version file uploaded but the macro upload failed on my end for some reason. Thanks for pointing that out. I just uploaded again and then downloaded and checked. It is ok now.

j

I have a Nuvi 880.

Please Help

Louis

Two things come to mind:

1) Latest Nuvi firmware? Check for upgrades. Report your version and anyone with a 8xx got it working?

2) Since you have the more button with child points maybe it is a description size or location problem. Rerun the macro using 2xxW or 5xx for the model and report back if that fixes it. As a last resort try 3xx.

j

I updated the Nuvi when I first started this process Ver 3.30 the latest ver on Garmin web updated

I tried 2xxW and I could read the descriptions. It seemed a little slow when I pushed the down arrow while reading the description. With POILoader 253. I will try the different versions for the Nuvi and see if any of them speed up the process.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot for the Nuvi 880.

Thanks for the help.

Louis

JJ,

I just downloaded the new version and installed it. I didnt modify it.

Quit Gsak.

Deleted GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat and GPX_by_Cache_Type_Alerts.db3 form the macros directory.

Deleted the TourGuide_Tools folder from the main Gsak folder.

Deleted the folder inside POI_LOADER where the GPX is created.

Started Gsak and run the macro. Got the message that it initialized.

I only selected the database, the Garmin model to 2xxW, selected Include found caches.

Put my name on the Owned by (ID)

Put No alerts in the Alert type.

Switched to Advanced mode and in the advanced options, changed the geocache name format, number of logs to 50

Selected the GPX output Path to C:\gsak\POI_Loader.

Selected user notes with description.

No other settings changed.

Run the macro and you are correct the macro does not copy any bitmaps to the Gpx output path.

Here is what the output is for a childpoint:

<wpt lat='45.867983' lon='-65.25'>

<ele>0.00</ele>

<time>2009-03-19T22:48:00Z</time>

<name>PK10P8T - Trailhead</name>

<cmt></cmt>

<desc>This is a child waypoint for Cache <font color=blue>GC10P8T - (Exit223T)</font><br><br>Type: Trailhead<br>Comment: </desc>

<link href="file://C:/gsak/POI_Loader/GeoPremium/Trailhead.bmp"/>

<sym>Information</sym>

<extensions>

<gpxx:WaypointExtension>

The macro points the to the output folder not the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS where the bitmaps are.

Using the custom setting for the Alerts type does solve all the problems. :D

So I guess I will just use the custom mode with No alerts on all the caches types and childpoints.

But the traditional method is broken JJ, you might want to look into it.

As for the color, I guess any darker color should work.

JJ with my experiment I found another bug.

Because I deleted the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS folder the macro only creates the folder and doesnt copy anything to it so it stays empty.

Tried deleting it again with the same result.

All the contents of Tourguide_tools.zip go into the temp folder in Gsak. :D

PS I stand corrected, the macro does copy the bmp files into the output folder once I copied the contents of the Gsak\temp folder to gsak\tourguide_tools folder.

It doesnt copy the childpoint bmp files thou.

And again I am using the Custom settings for the Alert types.

Another problem I found is that even with No alerts selected in the Custom settings. the macro still adds <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> which causes the nuvi to display "Alert Information

Distance : 0.0m.

I've changed the code :

IF ($AlertType="Custom" OR $AlertType="Proximity (On Route)") OR ($AlertType="TourGuide (Radius)") AND NOT ($d_Found or $Cache_Unavailable)

$Temp = Replace("@Proximity","<gpxx:Proximity>$Proximity</gpxx:Proximity>",$Temp,True)

ELSE

# $Temp = Replace("@Proximity","<gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>",$Temp,True)

$Temp = Replace("@Proximity","",$Temp,True)

ENDIF

in the Create_GPX_Files_for_Database sub

and added AND NOT ($Proximity="0") to the IF line. Theres no need to add the Proximity line if it is Zero. That seems to eliminate those two extra lines to the display. They still shows for the childpoints but its not a problem.

Edited by ZeMartelo

Because I deleted the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS folder the macro only creates the folder and doesnt copy anything to it so it stays empty.

PS I stand corrected, the macro does copy the bmp files into the output folder once I copied the contents of the Gsak\temp folder to gsak\tourguide_tools folder.

It doesnt copy the childpoint bmp files thou.

And again I am using the Custom settings for the Alert types.

Another problem I found is that even with No alerts selected in the Custom settings. the macro still adds <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> which causes the nuvi to display "Alert Information

Distance : 0.0m.

I've changed the code :

IF ($AlertType="Custom" OR $AlertType="Proximity (On Route)") OR ($AlertType="TourGuide (Radius)") AND NOT ($d_Found or $Cache_Unavailable)

$Temp = Replace("@Proximity","<gpxx:Proximity>$Proximity</gpxx:Proximity>",$Temp,True)

ELSE

# $Temp = Replace("@Proximity","<gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>",$Temp,True)

$Temp = Replace("@Proximity","",$Temp,True)

ENDIF

in the Create_GPX_Files_for_Database sub

and added AND NOT ($Proximity="0") to the IF line. Theres no need to add the Proximity line if it is Zero. That seems to eliminate those two extra lines to the display. They still shows for the childpoints but its not a problem.

Zeman...

I will look into the issues you describe in the above posts and clean up the process. A zero proximity is required when using alerts and entering zero otherwise the child points & spoilers will still alert, here is why.....

From POI Loader help:

If there is a TourGuide audio file attached and no other proximity alert information is available, POI Loader assigns a proximity alert distance of 0.25 miles.

j

I have just noticed that if a cacher put a corrected coordinates in the log entry it does not show up on the cache page transmitted to the Nivi Unit. See GC1MQ42

See the entry dated Feb 21, 2009 part of which is posted below and note that the coordinates are not included in the Nivi page.

February 21 by mbooda (2355 found)

N 30° 20.732 W 090° 00.300

Difficulty could stand another half-star, given the thoroughness of the cover, and especially the offset. My waypoint represents where we found it, about thirty feet away from the zero.

I also want to thank you for all the hard work and valuable information that you have provided with this Macro.

Ken

<snip>

All users check the TourGuide_Tools folder in your gsak folder. If it's empty, delete it.

v7.2.3 is the fix.

Thanks

j

JJ,

<snip>

The macro points the to the output folder not the TOURGUIDE_TOOLS where the bitmaps are.

Using the custom setting for the Alerts type does solve all the problems. :D

So I guess I will just use the custom mode with No alerts on all the caches types and childpoints.

<snip>

Another good find.....

fixed in v7.2.4

j

JJ,

<snip>

Using the custom setting for the Alerts type does solve all the problems. :)

<snip>

Another good find.....

fixed in v7.2.4

j

That definetly fixed the problem with the icons.

I tried using NO ALERTS again in the Alert ype and the icons are fixed.

But the macro is still adding the <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> line to the childpoints and it shouldnt do it.

Can you fix that please?

Thanks for the great work.

Hi I am struggling with creating my own icons for the great Macro you have created. Apologies for posting a message, I'm sure there is already one on here although I have looked through the forums and found the version where you integrated it but shortly after that it all goes too technical for me!!

I replaced the default icons with the ones I wanted with the exact same names (or so I thought!) however, the traditional icon was not copied across.

Can you please tell me what the original file name was please? Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Also when I go into the advanced section and click 'custom alert, style, distance ....' it comes up with the message: "select Custom Alert Type First!" I don't know if this is related?

Thank you for your help

Tilly

I have just noticed that if a cacher put a corrected coordinates in the log entry it does not show up on the cache page transmitted to the Nivi Unit. See GC1MQ42

See the entry dated Feb 21, 2009 part of which is posted below and note that the coordinates are not included in the Nivi page.

Difficulty could stand another half-star, given the thoroughness of the cover, and especially the offset. My waypoint represents where we found it, about thirty feet away from the zero.

I also want to thank you for all the hard work and valuable information that you have provided with this Macro.

Ken

Thanks for pointing that out. I see the coordinates are not stored as part of the log text. I will add the logged coordinates when they are given to the output.

j

Hi I am struggling with creating my own icons for the great Macro you have created. Apologies for posting a message, I'm sure there is already one on here although I have looked through the forums and found the version where you integrated it but shortly after that it all goes too technical for me!!

I replaced the default icons with the ones I wanted with the exact same names (or so I thought!) however, the traditional icon was not copied across.

Can you please tell me what the original file name was please? Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Also when I go into the advanced section and click 'custom alert, style, distance ....' it comes up with the message: "select Custom Alert Type First!" I don't know if this is related?

Thank you for your help

Tilly

Tilly just select "Custom" as the alert type and then go to advanced options and get into the custom alert section. There is no longer any need to worry about names and replacing files. I will update the documentation. To recreate the built-in symbols delete or rename the TourGuide_Tools folder and restart the macro.

j

JJ,

<snip>

Using the custom setting for the Alerts type does solve all the problems. :antenna:

<snip>

Another good find.....

fixed in v7.2.4

j

That definetly fixed the problem with the icons.

I tried using NO ALERTS again in the Alert ype and the icons are fixed.

But the macro is still adding the <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> line to the childpoints and it shouldnt do it.

Can you fix that please?

Thanks for the great work.

fixed in v7.2.6

j

Ken

fixed in v7.2.7

j

Ken

fixed in v7.2.7

j

Thank you so much for your prompt attention to this situation. I just downloaded the new version and update the PQ to the POI and coordinates are posted on the Nivi but are not correct.

This is what appears on the page.

Lat=30.345533 Long=90.005

Ken

fixed in v7.2.7

j

Thank you so much for your prompt attention to this situation. I just downloaded the new version and update the PQ to the POI and coordinates are posted on the Nivi but are not correct.

Edit - converted decimal degrees to decimal minutes in v7.2.8

j

Edited by jjreds

Ken

fixed in v7.2.7

j

Edit - converted decimal degrees to decimal minutes in v7.2.8

j

My hats off to you Sir. Tested and running great. Your Macro just gets better and better.

Thanks so much.