Advanced Nuvi Macro

The standard little green box (traditional) 2.gif appears for all caches, even multi's. I'm bummed because I'm dying to try your macro out! Help jjreds! :)

That tells me POI Loader is pointed to the wrong folder. The macro output folder will contain a folder for each database processed containing the gpx files by cache type and their associated symbols and sound files.

j

Everybody upgrade to 3.3.4 for the invalid file problem

checking on the hint display issue

Do you recall what was causing this on the original releases? I'm using Pilotsnipes macro and get this. If I run it twice, it always fixes it. If you could point to the solution, I could fix up the code in Pilotsnipes macro.

Thanks.

These problems are typically caused by improper html formatting and special characters in the gpx output. If you want to post the "invalid" gpx file we could probably figure it out.

j

Edited by jjreds

The standard little green box (traditional) 2.gif appears for all caches, even multi's. I'm bummed because I'm dying to try your macro out! Help jjreds! :)

That tells me POI Loader is pointed to the wrong folder. The macro output folder will contain a folder for each database processed containing the gpx files by cache type and their associated symbols and sound files.

j

That did the trick. It was still set to the "garminpoi" folder from Pilotsnipes macro...just had to switch it over to "POI_Loader" and it's working properly now. Thanks jjreds!!! Can't wait to try it out!

These problems are typically caused by improper html formatting and special characters in the gpx output. If you want to post the "invalid" gpx file we could probably figure it out.

j

But why does it work when you run the same file a second time? I've compared the two files and they are the same.

j

But why does it work when you run the same file a second time? I've compared the two files and they are the same.

I don't know. Need to see the data to figure it out.

j

Dear all,

I've looked through all 18 pages of this macro and haven't found the answer to this question, so I am not afraid to ask it now :-)

Me and a friend of mine are both using this macro for a short while now. Today he tells me after running this macro his Oregon has an option stating "all categories" in the custom POI menu. Like I said I use the exact same macro and I don't have the "all categories "option. Meaning when i select the Custom POI menu I only get to choose "Traditional, multi, etc etc", where he gets the All cat. option as an extra button.

It must be a tickmark unticked in the macro somewhere in my version or something like that to not have this "All categories" option. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Please help.

Alex

Dear all,

I've looked through all 18 pages of this macro and haven't found the answer to this question, so I am not afraid to ask it now :-)

Me and a friend of mine are both using this macro for a short while now. Today he tells me after running this macro his Oregon has an option stating "all categories" in the custom POI menu. Like I said I use the exact same macro and I don't have the "all categories "option. Meaning when i select the Custom POI menu I only get to choose "Traditional, multi, etc etc", where he gets the All cat. option as an extra button.

It must be a tickmark unticked in the macro somewhere in my version or something like that to not have this "All categories" option. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Please help.

Alex

In the following example the macro was run against four GSAK databases creating four database(category) folders under the POI_Loader folder. When running POI Loader if pointed to the POI_Loader folder, POIL will load each of the sub folders as a separate category and display the "all categories" option. If POIL is pointed to Database Folder #1 for example, the GPSr will display each of the gpx files by name, in this case Traditional, Multi, etc.

Slide1-4.jpg

Following from the POI Loader Help file (substitute "folder" for "directory"):

"Select the directory where the data files can be found. POI Loader detects all .csv and .gpx data files within that directory. If you have data files saved in additional directories listed under the main directory, POI Loader creates subcategories for those Custom POI files when they are loaded onto your unit. For example, if the main directory contains additional directories called "Food", "Resorts", and "Stores", POI Loader creates subcategories called Food, Resorts, and Stores on your unit."

j

Dear all,

Please help.

Alex

Which version of the system firmware are you and your friend running on the OR? Multiple POI databases is a new feature to the betas v2.85 & v2.86. These will show the "All Categories POI", but granted these choices still don't quite work right yet.

Edited by c_dog

Everybody upgrade to 3.3.4 for the invalid file problem

checking on the hint display issue

Do you recall what was causing this on the original releases? I'm using Pilotsnipes macro and get this. If I run it twice, it always fixes it. If you could point to the solution, I could fix up the code in Pilotsnipes macro.

Thanks.

??

Yes, it was weird characters in the cache name, like < or >.

:D

By popular request - v6.0 has the option to use the current filter.

j

Tried out the new use current filter feature and noticed something a little odd. If I use the dbl-click filters (lower right hand corner of GSAK screen) to filter the current database list on say Not Founds, plus have the “Unavailable/ Archived Caches?” checkbox on the macro screen is selected. Only the unavailable POI categories are generated, even though the all the of the available Not Founds were shown in the current filter. If the “Unavailable/ Archived Caches? is not checked, the available cache POIs are generated, but no unavailable/archived cache POI categories are generated. Even if the unavailables were included in the “current” filter, but this would be the expected result for this combination of settings.

I do notice that while the POIs are being generated the display in the “Select Saved Filter” pull-down on the GSAK menu bar flashes between “NONE” and “…Last active filter”.

Edited by c_dog

j

Tried out the new use current filter feature and noticed something a little odd. If I use the dbl-click filters (lower right hand corner of GSAK screen) to filter the current database list on say Not Founds, plus have the “Unavailable/ Archived Caches?” checkbox on the macro screen is selected. Only the unavailable POI categories are generated, even though the all the of the available Not Founds were shown in the current filter. If the “Unavailable/ Archived Caches? is not checked, the available cache POIs are generated, but no unavailable/archived cache POI categories are generated. Even if the unavailables were included in the “current” filter, but this would be the expected result for this combination of settings.

I do notice that while the POIs are being generated the display in the “Select Saved Filter” pull-down on the GSAK menu bar flashes between “NONE” and “…Last active filter”.

Thanks for pointing that out. Should be fixed in v6.0.1

j

The option jjreds pointed out worked. Yesterday when I constantly had the problem on POIloader I selected the exact directory where all *. bmp and *.gpx files were located. For example C:\GPXfiles\Oregon\Default\.

This resulted in not having the "All categories" option.

Now I selected NOT the folder where the aforementioned files were located, but one folder higher, being C:\GPXfiles\Oregon\. This did the trick, the custom POI database now shows a button "Default" containing all the custom poi's. It's as simple as that. Thanks jjreds. :D

Which version of the system firmware are you and your friend running on the OR? Multiple POI databases is a new feature to the betas v2.85 & v2.86. These will show the "All Categories POI", but granted these choices still don't quite work right yet.

Now to answer your question, I was using version 2.80, in which I didn't have any problems, there was no splitup in Traditionals, Multi, etc. available in that version. Or if it was, I never saw it. Then I upgraded to 2.85 and the problem I posted occurred.

Today I upgraded to 2.86. Obviously Garmin realised the "All categories" option was handy after all and they therefore reinstated it I guess. However I get an error message when I select this "All categories" option. If I interpret your post correctly and by reading the various threads about 2.86 I guess I am not the only one who has this problem, it is off course still a Beta version.

I am drifting a little off topic here now, thanks everyone for the help, my POI problem is fixed. ;)

j

Seems to be working now. Thanks.

Now, for a future feature request. I have noticed this for awhile, but haven't read of it being mentioned before. Would it be possible to return the filter state to original conditions after the macro is run? When I run the macro it finishes and ends with a filter state set to showing 1 Mega Event (MOGA). I assume that this is the filter state of last POI category generation This is not anything like what was shown before the macro ran. So far the solution to this has been to clear all filters and reset them manually.

Thanks for all the hard work on this amazing macro!

Edited by c_dog

j

Seems to be working now. Thanks.

Now, for a future feature request. I have noticed this for awhile, but haven't read of it being mentioned before. Would it be possible to return the filter state to original conditions after the macro is run? When I run the macro it finishes and ends with a filter state set to showing 1 Mega Event (MOGA). I assume that this is the filter state of last POI category generation This is not anything like what was shown before the macro ran. So far the solution to this has been to clear all filters and reset them manually.

Thanks for all the hard work on this amazing macro!

Corrected in v6.0.2

j

How many waypoints can my Nuvi 650 REALLY hold??!!

I really tried to search for a real answer...honest! :( Garmin's site says 500, but I've been running with over 700 since Pilotsnipes macro, and now with jjreds macro I've just created a separate database for a nearby city and the macro said it successfully loaded something like 1183 POI's. Is this true or false?

I'll be able to manage this better if someone has a real number on the max custom waypoints I can load! TIA.

The 500 that Garmin says refers to the Favorites memory section. That limit is 500 Waypoints (including HOME, if you've set that"). That's different than the memory reserved for POI's or "Extras". That area will hold thousands of waypoint. I've added POIs from other sites, such as POI Factory to mine (like USA Lighthouses) and have loaded over 9,000 waypoints in the POI section. I've heard mention of some folks that have loaded 15,000+ waypoints using just this macro.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

The 500 that Garmin says refers to the Favorites memory section. That limit is 500 Waypoints (including HOME, if you've set that"). That's different than the memory reserved for POI's or "Extras". That area will hold thousands of waypoint. I've added POIs from other sites, such as POI Factory to mine (like USA Lighthouses) and have loaded over 9,000 waypoints in the POI section. I've heard mention of some folks that have loaded 15,000+ waypoints using just this macro.

YES!!!!!!!!!! I hope the pocket query server is running cool, coz I'm about to work it out!!! Haha...good news. And jjreds, this makes the "multiple database" section of your macro SO useful now. We take lots of daytrips and I'm glad I can load it up to support that now! Best news I've gotten in a while!

Ok I have one quick question. One the first page post it shows a pic of a garmin screen with different POI's in various categories like easy grabs. I have 4 data bases that I uploaded to my Nuvi 200 and when I to to me POI page they are not catogorized by type there is just one option and all the caches are in there lumped together. How do I get my caches to show in different sections or links on my GPSr?

Ok I have one quick question. One the first page post it shows a pic of a garmin screen with different POI's in various categories like easy grabs. I have 4 data bases that I uploaded to my Nuvi 200 and when I to to me POI page they are not catogorized by type there is just one option and all the caches are in there lumped together. How do I get my caches to show in different sections or links on my GPSr?

see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3820185

I just installed 6.0.2 from 5.10

I am getting this error when i start the macro

Error in Macro at line: 3422

<data> VarName=$TourGuideTools

Error=> Macro error. "<DATA>" command count = 12 but "<ENDDATA>" count is 11

Macro will now abort

Any ideas how I can fix it??

Thanks

Ding Ding, I found that post after my question was asked, I just didnt see it the first time I read the thread :laughing:

I just installed 6.0.2 from 5.10

I am getting this error when i start the macro

Error in Macro at line: 3422

<data> VarName=$TourGuideTools

Error=> Macro error. "<DATA>" command count = 12 but "<ENDDATA>" count is 11

Macro will now abort

Any ideas how I can fix it??

Thanks

Download again sounds like the end of the file got chopped off

j

j

Thank you very much!

I updated my macro to the 6.1 version and it seems that the files are created with only the current filter (after cheking the appropriate box on the advanced options tab). However, POI Loader does not seem to recognize the format of the .gpx file created (I get a message like invalid .gpx format)

If i run the macro unchecking the "use current filter" box, POI Loader is able to manage the .gpx file.

j

Thank you very much!

I updated my macro to the 6.1 version and it seems that the files are created with only the current filter (after cheking the appropriate box on the advanced options tab). However, POI Loader does not seem to recognize the format of the .gpx file created (I get a message like invalid .gpx format)

If i run the macro unchecking the "use current filter" box, POI Loader is able to manage the .gpx file.

sent you a pm, I would like to see the invalid gpx file.

Thks

j

j

Thank you very much!

The problem is the accent character in the database name, POI Loader cannot find the path to the symbol file due to the accent. I am not quite sure how to fix this as Québec is being output as Qu8bec.

j

:DOMG I spent about 1 hour last night loading my nuvi 205 with 504 caches!!! Most of that time was waiting for software to load, simple step by step instructions, with pics, all the info is right there. thank you so much for posting this info. Wished I would have found this post before we bought the palm and the axiums, and to think I wanted an I-phone

:):D:PTHANK YOU :):D:D

Edited by jimmaxie

jjreds,

"Wonderful macro" just doesn't express my level of appreciation for the amazing amount of work that has gone into your macro and the support you have given your users.

I just received a nuvi 250w and installed your macro right out of the box. Installation was simple, setup was a breeze (I used pilotsnipes instructions for the install/setup). I am now out caching without all the paper! Your macro truly delivers what it promises.

I have spent a very short time customizing the database and pocket queries to get exactly the data I want loaded into my nuvi. It couldn't be easier!

GREAT JOB, THANK YOU!

I didn't read all 18 pages. It's quicker to ask and beg forgiveness later. :(

I don't like the "default" folder that gets created 'cause that, in turn, creates a "default" named folder in the GPS. Short of coping all the files up one folder and deleting the default folder, how do I delete it permanenetly? Thanks.

Liking the macro very much otherwise. Thanks for sharing it.

I didn't read all 18 pages. It's quicker to ask and beg forgiveness later. :(

I don't like the "default" folder that gets created 'cause that, in turn, creates a "default" named folder in the GPS. Short of coping all the files up one folder and deleting the default folder, how do I delete it permanenetly? Thanks.

Liking the macro very much otherwise. Thanks for sharing it.

You didn't have to read 18 pages for this one.....the answer was in post #1!

The output folder name = database name.

j

Edited by jjreds

I must admit that I have not read through the 18 pages with posts in this thread, sorry about that but it's just to much...

I've just switched from the macro from Pilotsnipes to this one and I must say that I am impressed. I was very happy with the macro from Pilotsnipes but getting the spoiler pictures in and putting the hint and the logs before the description is really nice.

Let me start to say that I have over 15000 caches in GSAK (whole Sweden and 500 from norway) and I also have some speed cameras in my POI_Loader folder. It usually sums up to about 18000 POIs.

This give me a POI file of over 40Mb with the pilotsnipes macro but it still works fine. However after adding a lot of spoiler pics and using your macro I ended up over 90Mb and when listing the POIs in the GPS a get a rather large delay. I assumed this was due to the spoiler pics so I exported the POIs without spoiler pics and ended up just under 40Mb (less that with the pilotsnipes macro, propably because I limted the logs to 5 with your macro). I expected this to solve the problem but it did not. I takes 8-9 seconds before it starts to list the POIs while with the pilotsnipes macro the delay is hardly noticable. That is a bit strange considering that the POI file is actually smaller when using your macro.

I'm getting the same results on both my Nüvi 205 and my Nüvi 255.

I must admit that I have not read through the 18 pages with posts in this thread, sorry about that but it's just to much...

I've just switched from the macro from Pilotsnipes to this one and I must say that I am impressed. I was very happy with the macro from Pilotsnipes but getting the spoiler pictures in and putting the hint and the logs before the description is really nice.

Let me start to say that I have over 15000 caches in GSAK (whole Sweden and 500 from norway) and I also have some speed cameras in my POI_Loader folder. It usually sums up to about 18000 POIs.

This give me a POI file of over 40Mb with the pilotsnipes macro but it still works fine. However after adding a lot of spoiler pics and using your macro I ended up over 90Mb and when listing the POIs in the GPS a get a rather large delay. I assumed this was due to the spoiler pics so I exported the POIs without spoiler pics and ended up just under 40Mb (less that with the pilotsnipes macro, propably because I limted the logs to 5 with your macro). I expected this to solve the problem but it did not. I takes 8-9 seconds before it starts to list the POIs while with the pilotsnipes macro the delay is hardly noticable. That is a bit strange considering that the POI file is actually smaller when using your macro.

Sans spoilers the two macros should be creating essentially the same set of files - check the sub-folders you may be loading more data than you think.

j

I must be doing something wrong. I have a 260W. The most cache pages I can show is 52. I ran GSAK with 957 caches. It runs thru the process and tells me it has loaded 957 points to my computer. I am putting them on a 2 gig SD card. I then put the SD card in my 260W, go to Custom POI, and it only shows 52. Those 52 work great, it just doesn't have the other 907 it says are on the card.

Any ideas?

Sans spoilers the two macros should be creating essentially the same set of files - check the sub-folders you may be loading more data than you think.

j

That's what is so strange. With your macro the poi file is even smaller (propably because of the 5 logs limit). My theory about the delay is that it is caused by separating the caches into different types. I got my GSAK sorted by distance from my home coordinates and with the pilotsnipes macro I assume that it will store the POIs in that order making it very quick to list the POIs, at least when I am near my home coordinates. (When testing I was about 30km from home).

By storing the POIs by type it will need to go through a lot more of the POI file before making sure it has found enough nearby POIs to start showing them in the list.

This is of course just my theory and the only way to prove it would be to hack your macro to not split the caches into different types. Or perhaps it may be enough just to make a filter that only has traditional caches. I may try that and get back to you.

j

That's what is so strange. With your macro the poi file is even smaller (propably because of the 5 logs limit). My theory about the delay is that it is caused by separating the caches into different types. I got my GSAK sorted by distance from my home coordinates and with the pilotsnipes macro I assume that it will store the POIs in that order making it very quick to list the POIs, at least when I am near my home coordinates. (When testing I was about 30km from home).

By storing the POIs by type it will need to go through a lot more of the POI file before making sure it has found enough nearby POIs to start showing them in the list.

This is of course just my theory and the only way to prove it would be to hack your macro to not split the caches into different types. Or perhaps it may be enough just to make a filter that only has traditional caches. I may try that and get back to you.

I have two Nüvis (a 205 and a 255 (same hardware but more flash in the 255)) and I did a test and only loaded traditional caches on each GPS using the pilotsnipes macro on one and your macro on the other. I ended up with just above 15000 POIs with both macros and it is just as quick to load caches on both GPS:es.

I'm going to do another try using your macro. This time including all cache types but using a distance limiter to get the same or less POIs than in the previous tests. I'll post the results when it's done. If my theory is right then the delay will be back.

EDIT: Yep, with just under 15000 POIs this time and a POI file size of just under 30Mb the delay is back.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Just wanted to let you know that I moved up from pilotsnipes macro on my Nuvi 200 to yours and it went off without a hitch! This takes paperless to the next level!

Thanks for all the hard work you and everyone involved put in on this project. It does a great service to the Geocaching community!

:mad:

v7.0 Added alert type, distance and symbol file by cache type. Select "Alert Type?" = Custom and then goto "Set Custom Alerts" in advanced options.

Be forewarned, invalid symbol files will likely cause POI Loader or the GPSr to crash/lockup. Symbols need to be 16x16 or 24x24 8-bit color bitmaps (I think...working from memory)

Custom soundfiles by cache type next....

Enjoy

j

v7.0 Added alert type, distance and symbol file by cache type. Select "Alert Type?" = Custom and then goto "Set Custom Alerts" in advanced options.

Be forewarned, invalid symbol files will likely cause POI Loader or the GPSr to crash/lockup. Symbols need to be 16x16 or 24x24 8-bit color bitmaps (I think...working from memory)

Custom soundfiles by cache type next....

Enjoy

j

Not sure what changed, but when I have "Run macro against current filter?" checked with the dbl click filters set for not found and "Include Found caches?" not checked in v7.0, I get:

Error in Macro at line: 1711
$match = sqlite("sql","select code from caches","")

Error=> SQLite Error 1 - no such table: caches

Macro will now abort

Was working fine in v6.2. Unchecked "Run against current filter?", and the macro will run in v7.0.