Advanced Nuvi Macro

I am still having trouble with my new Nivi 760 with multiple alerts, voices that break up, routes that disappear. The other day I received 15 alarms for five caches (no spoiler pictures) that were in the general area. When these alerts go off you cannot understand the voices.

I have upgraded my Nivi to the software Version 4.6 with no change.

The unit seems to work ok when only one of two caches are in the area but when you get multiple caches it just goes nuts, even to the point of having to reset it.

Are there any other users of the Nivi 760 out there having problems or is it only me? Again a high density cache area is when the problem appears.

Previously I had a Nivi 660 that jjreds Macro worked great on that unit. Something must be wrong with the Garmin Nivi 760 to do this when the other Nivi units work well.

First, thank you for the wonderful Nuvi macro. Keep up the good work.

I am running into an issue in areas with a large amount of caches. When I start up the GPS unit I get a full screen display listing the close caches with a big OK button. When I click on the button it will cycle through about 30 caches and not allow me to get access to my GPS without driving out of the area.

Could this popup be disabled without disabling the TourGuide callouts when a cache is nearby?

Jerode and LeftyGator the macro has nothing to do with the problem.

It is a problem with the nuvis.

Theres nothing that can be done to prevent the beeping and the little windows unless you disable tourguide.

Fire an email to Garmin to complain and if enough people do it they will correct it.

What I did for myself is I added 30seconds to the beep file so at least I dont get swamped with beeps and thats another feature of the macro that it will not replace the beep file. Sweet.

There nothing that can be done to prevent the beeping and the little windows unless you disable tourguide.

Fire an email to Garmin to complain and if enough people do it they will correct it.

What I did for myself is I added 30seconds to the beep file so at least I dont get swamped with beeps and thats another feature of the macro that it will not replace the beep file. Sweet.

Thank You. I never had any doubt that the fault was Garmin but what I was doubting of why I was the only one reporting a problem with a 760. My 660 does not have this problem so the problem rests with the 760. Garmin are you listening? Here is an individual (jjreds) that spends his time and effort to make something useful that allows you to sell many of these units and you should listen and fix this problem.

I just got my Nuvi 760 at Christmas and been playing with the macro. Its pretty slick. Thanks for writing it. It installed the POI's without any issues.

Is there a way to turn off alerts for parking and reference waypoints? If not can this feature be added? I like to cut back on unneccesary alerts if possible.

Steve

Child waypoints already have <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> in the gpx output. In other words, if POI Loader and the Nuvi are working correctly, no alerts are generated for child waypoints including spoiler pics w/ v5.8.6 and above.

j

I just got my Nuvi 760 at Christmas and been playing with the macro. Its pretty slick. Thanks for writing it. It installed the POI's without any issues.

Is there a way to turn off alerts for parking and reference waypoints? If not can this feature be added? I like to cut back on unneccesary alerts if possible.

Steve

Child waypoints already have <gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity> in the gpx output. In other words, if POI Loader and the Nuvi are working correctly, no alerts are generated for child waypoints including spoiler pics w/ v5.8.6 and above.

j

I will double check. When I get the alert I glance over and see a parking waypoint alert for some caches in my area.

Steve

I see in the POI list all the different categories. This is great! is there a way though to chose the categories I want to display or to choose the order they categories are displayed in or arbitrary names or sorting?

ALL

unfound

I am new to this and I understand what I want, but don't yet know where to find it or modify it to get that sorting so I can find these things easily when I go out geocaching. so far awesome tool and addition to GSAK, and the use of my Nuvi 500, if I could only get this to work my Nuvi 500 in geocaching mode to transfer this same data.

Theres nothing that can be done to prevent the beeping and the little windows unless you disable tourguide.

The 760 continues to give me problems whenever 3 or more caches are in the area. I would like to see the visual of the Icon displayed on the screen without the alert or even a delayed alert if it would prevent the unit hanging up or the voice shuddering. How do you program the delay? Can we turn off the alert and still get the Icon of the cache?

I have also tried Pilots Macro with the same result on the 760.

Edited by Leftygator

Thanks for the great macro! Using it for my nuvi 350 as well as for my oregon.

With newer versions, however, i do encounter a problem when transfering the created files via POI loader.

Poi loader complains that an error was found in the mystery.gpx file in line 1 and won't process this file. The others (multi, traditionals etc...) work ok. The created gpi-file then only contain the non-mystery caches.

Ok, when using the old 5.5.1 version of the macro, which is still available for download, everything works ok.

Questions:

Anyone else with this problem?

Are the other versions between 5.5.1 and the latest available for download as well somewhere? I would then try to find the latest version that still works....

With newer versions, however, i do encounter a problem when transfering the created files via POI loader.

Poi loader complains that an error was found in the mystery.gpx file in line 1 and won't process this file. The others (multi, traditionals etc...) work ok. The created gpi-file then only contain the non-mystery caches.

Ok, when using the old 5.5.1 version of the macro, which is still available for download, everything works ok.

Questions:

Are the other versions between 5.5.1 and the latest available for download as well somewhere? I would then try to find the latest version that still works....

sent you a PM with my email. Send the broken mystery.gpx and I'll correct the problem with the macro.

j

Edited by jjreds

The 760 continues to give me problems whenever 3 or more caches are in the area. I would like to see the visual of the Icon displayed on the screen without the alert or even a delayed alert if it would prevent the unit hanging up or the voice shuddering. How do you program the delay? Can we turn off the alert and still get the Icon of the cache?

you should be able to turn off alerts for a database by selecting "no alerts" for "Alert Type?"

j

I see in the POI list all the different categories. This is great! is there a way though to chose the categories I want to display or to choose the order they categories are displayed in or arbitrary names or sorting?

ALL

unfound

I am new to this and I understand what I want, but don't yet know where to find it or modify it to get that sorting so I can find these things easily when I go out geocaching. so far awesome tool and addition to GSAK, and the use of my Nuvi 500, if I could only get this to work my Nuvi 500 in geocaching mode to transfer this same data.

Setup multiple databases in GSAK to represent the categories you want. Run the macro against each database. Then run POI Loader. The GPSr controls the way the the names are sorted.

j

and one more thing. I had a cache yesterday which has >20 spoiler pics (or at least pics that were loaded by the 'no spoiler' rule. Thus the nuvi displayed each as a separate waypoint in the 'advanced tourguide'.

Could we get an option that sorts pics into a separate tourguide, so that they can be looked for when required, but don't clutter (and crowd out other caches) from the display of a tourguide POI selection (which is limited to 30 or so?)

Questions:

Problem being caused by cache GC1KBPB

v5.8.7 should fix the problem.

j

Edited by jjreds

and one more thing. I had a cache yesterday which has >20 spoiler pics (or at least pics that were loaded by the 'no spoiler' rule. Thus the nuvi displayed each as a separate waypoint in the 'advanced tourguide'.

Could we get an option that sorts pics into a separate tourguide, so that they can be looked for when required, but don't clutter (and crowd out other caches) from the display of a tourguide POI selection (which is limited to 30 or so?)

To do what you want I think we would have to move all except the first spoiler into a separate GPX file. But, the spoilers would disappear from the display altogether when searching by cache type unless all of the POI types were selected or "Spoilers" were selected or whatever we decide to name it.

j

Questions:

Problem being caused by cache GC1KBPB

v5.8.7 should fix the problem.

j

Hey jjreds,

thanks for your super quick reaction and fix. New version works like a charm!

LP

I installed your macro into GSAK. I use a Garmin 360 Nuvi. I run your macro and click Create GPX Files. Macro Status window appears and works fine. GPX File Generator Message window appears and I click the button Run POI Loader for Nuvi. I get the Garmin Connection window and click Check Connection and get error window:

Windows - No Disk

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c

with buttons Cancel, Try Again Continue

I click Continue a couple of times and then the macro starts to port the data to my nuvi. Then I get a POILoader window stating Congratulations!

I have all the lastest updates of GSAK 7.5.0.188, POILoader 2.5.3.0 and of course your latest macro 5.8.7. (Issue 1) Any ideas why the Exception Processing Message is appearing?

(Issue 2) On the nuvi when I bring up the Custom POI and view all the details. You show the Geocache Name, Type, Found, code. The next line is blank. The third line has "Contact" then next 3 lines are blank? Why? Can I remove the Contact Line and the 3 blank lines and just start with person who created the cache? Save some lines and me from scrolling down.

Other than that it seems like a nice macro. I really like the Display Large Text option!

I installed your macro into GSAK. I use a Garmin 360 Nuvi. I run your macro and click Create GPX Files. Macro Status window appears and works fine. GPX File Generator Message window appears and I click the button Run POI Loader for Nuvi. I get the Garmin Connection window and click Check Connection and get error window:

Windows - No Disk

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c

with buttons Cancel, Try Again Continue

I click Continue a couple of times and then the macro starts to port the data to my nuvi. Then I get a POILoader window stating Congratulations!

I have all the lastest updates of GSAK 7.5.0.188, POILoader 2.5.3.0 and of course your latest macro 5.8.7. (Issue 1) Any ideas why the Exception Processing Message is appearing?

(Issue 2) On the nuvi when I bring up the Custom POI and view all the details. You show the Geocache Name, Type, Found, code. The next line is blank. The third line has "Contact" then next 3 lines are blank? Why? Can I remove the Contact Line and the 3 blank lines and just start with person who created the cache? Save some lines and me from scrolling down.

Other than that it seems like a nice macro. I really like the Display Large Text option!

1) Uncheck "Search for GPSr before starting POI Loader?" on the advanced options page. There are compatibility issues with some systems.

2) The 3xx series is unique in the way it displays the cache info and requires special output from the macro. I don't have a Nuvi 3xx to test with. If someone with a 3xx has a couple of hours to spare and has Skype or can take and send screenshots we could possibly correct the issue.

j

1) Uncheck "Search for GPSr before starting POI Loader?" on the advanced options page. There are compatibility issues with some systems.

Jreds,

I notice your Detect_Nuvi subroutine loops through the drive letters using FileExits() to detect a connection. This can throw the "Windows no disk" error on some systems that have "ghost" drives (Usb card reader with no mounted cards for example).

Check out the macro function gspinfo(). This function will allow you to detect the drive letter of the Nuvi, and has special internal code that eliminates the "Windows no disk" error.

Steve

j

I'm the exact opposite ...

I just installed the latest version 5.8.7 from a version somewhere around 5.5 (sorry, can't remember the exact number) and noticed that the children were not being found by proximity anymore. There seem to be options for quite a few other features. Any chance on getting a feature added to specify whether or not the user wants to have an alert go off for children? :D For now, I've just edited the line in the macro file to put in $Proximity instead of 0.

Also, I notice that children now show up on my display with the catagory icon, not the usual Final Location flag or Parking Area symbol, or Trailhead, or Question to Answer puzzle piece, or ... . This worked just fine in the previous version I was using. The GPX files all have lines such as <link href="file://Final_Location.bmp"/> in them, and the .bmp file is there in the POI_Loader directory.

I'm running GSAK 7.5.0.188, GPX by Cache Type 5.8.7, and I have a Nuvi 360. I haven't changed or updated the POI loader SW but I did update GSAK to 7.5 from 7.2 at the same time as updating the macro.

BTW, this is the most useful Macro that I'm using. Thanks for all the work on it.

DCMG

Since the last version i noticed that the first page of POI details on my Zumo displays info on alerts (distance, speed etc) in stead of the very helpfull short description. I think this is caused by line nr 1054 in your macro which creates a <proximity> tag with value 0.

I havent been able to test it (because my zumo is very busy updating at the moment :-)) but i think this problem is solved if you change line 1054 into

$Temp = Replace("@Proximity","",$Temp,True)

[Edit] Tested it by modifying the .GPX file manually and removing the line with the <proximity> tag and reloading with POI-Loader ... the alert info has disappeared from the POI-details page! So this works

[/Edit]

Edited by Schatjes van Schouten

Also, I notice that children now show up on my display with the catagory icon, not the usual Final Location flag or Parking Area symbol, or Trailhead, or Question to Answer puzzle piece, or ... . This worked just fine in the previous version I was using. The GPX files all have lines such as <link href="file://Final_Location.bmp"/> in them, and the .bmp file is there in the POI_Loader directory.

I'm running GSAK 7.5.0.188, GPX by Cache Type 5.8.7, and I have a Nuvi 360. I haven't changed or updated the POI loader SW but I did update GSAK to 7.5 from 7.2 at the same time as updating the macro.

OK, bad form to follow up my own post but ...

I think I've found the problem with child icons not showing up properly. The <link> tag needs to have a fully qualified path to the .bmp file.

I changed the line outputting the <link href> to include $goofypath and $goofydb to fully qualify the .bmp file paths:

$Temp = Replace("@geofilejpg"," <link href="+Quote("file://$goofypath/$goofydb/$Embedded_POIL_File")+"/>",$Temp,True)

This has got the child waypoint icons back to their old form of flags, puzzle pieces, Parking signs and such.

--DCMG

Hi!

I upgraded to GSAK 7.5.0.188 and Advanced Nuvi Macro 5.8.7.

After the upgrade I get this message as I try to start the macro:

--------------------CLIP--------------------

Error in Macro at line: 194

$SelectOption=Form($MainMenuExpanded,"")

Error=> Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Macro will now abort

--------------------CLAP--------------------

...And yes, I do have space on the device... :=)

Any ideas?

Br,

Jari

<snip>

Check out the macro function gspinfo(). This function will allow you to detect the drive letter of the Nuvi, and has special internal code that eliminates the "Windows no disk" error.

Thanks Clyde - added to v5.8.8

<snip>

I'm the exact opposite ...

I just installed the latest version 5.8.7 from a version somewhere around 5.5 (sorry, can't remember the exact number) and noticed that the children were not being found by proximity anymore. There seem to be options for quite a few other features. Any chance on getting a feature added to specify whether or not the user wants to have an alert go off for children?

<snip>

Added to advanced options in v5.8.8

Since the last version i noticed that the first page of POI details on my Zumo displays info on alerts (distance, speed etc) in stead of the very helpfull short description. I think this is caused by line nr 1054 in your macro which creates a <proximity> tag with value 0.

<snip>

Removed the <proximity> tag with value 0 in v5.8.8

<snip>

I think I've found the problem with child icons not showing up properly. The <link> tag needs to have a fully qualified path to the .bmp file.

<snip>

fixed in v5.8.8

<snip>

Error in Macro at line: 194

$SelectOption=Form($MainMenuExpanded,"")

Error=> Not enough storage is available to process this command.

<snip>

Sorry Ihmeperhe I'm at a complete loss on that one.

Edited by jjreds

2) The 3xx series is unique in the way it displays the cache info and requires special output from the macro. I don't have a Nuvi 3xx to test with. If someone with a 3xx has a couple of hours to spare and has Skype or can take and send screenshots we could possibly correct the issue.

j

Your Option 1) worked!

Option 2) I don't have Skype. I notice the screen shots on my Nuvi and I will send you it via email. Thanks!

<snip>

Any chance on getting a feature added to specify whether or not the user wants to have an alert go off for children?

<snip>

Added to advanced options in v5.8.8

<snip>

The <link> tag needs to have a fully qualified path to the .bmp file.

<snip>

fixed in v5.8.8

Excellent, thank you. Both updates work great.

Thanks again for this wonderful macro.

--DCMG

you should be able to turn off alerts for a database by selecting "no alerts" for "Alert Type?"

j

When you turn off the Alerts, you also turn off the Cache Icon when within the range selected. Is it possible to have an option to allow the cache Icon to appear within the distance selected and not the alert (which causes problems on my 760)? Hopefully this might allow the visual presentation of several caches within the area to be of assistance and doing away with the alert which scrambles the brains of my 760.

I really appreciate your hard work making this such a valuable tool for caching. It's a shame that Garmin put out a unit which will not function as my 660 did on this Macro. If this is not possible or a problem I understand.

Thank You

The hint display option was implemented some time ago, and I always choose to display the hint first. As many caches has a very long description, including several languages, I would also like to have an option to display the logs before the description.

I would prefer to first display the hint, followed by the logs, and optionally the cache description at the very end. Maybe all three could have similar options as for the hints ?

I posted before and I did create seperate databases. but Once I created the seperate databases I was expecting to see or be able to control the categories of the POI? Is that possble to set the categories I wanted?

We get ALL, and Found, and Earthcache, multi, traditional, leterbox...

But I was hoping for

the categories based on the different databases. I think I found the issue but don't know how to fix it. I think my data is being pushed into C:\GPS\gsak\POI_Loader. But it looks like there is something in tourguide_tools that I may be able to edit to help me adjust the categories so that I get the categories in the POI sorting I want?

I was interested in something like

All

Found

Unfound

(my list of databases)

I just did not know how to tweak it.

I know this thread is geting kind of large and it is geting hard to follow and read though. Would it be worth it to devise a series of threaded subjects related to this? That are just a bit smaller so this list can be searched and we can find stuff a little easier?

Edited by weylan

<snip>

When you turn off the Alerts, you also turn off the Cache Icon when within the range selected. Is it possible to have an option to allow the cache Icon to appear within the distance selected and not the alert (which causes problems on my 760)? Hopefully this might allow the visual presentation of several caches within the area to be of assistance and doing away with the alert which scrambles the brains of my 760.

I really appreciate your hard work making this such a valuable tool for caching. It's a shame that Garmin put out a unit which will not function as my 660 did on this Macro. If this is not possible or a problem I understand.

Thank You

v.5.9 Added alert type "TourGuide (no sound)"

j

<snip>

I posted before and I did create seperate databases. but Once I created the seperate databases I was expecting to see or be able to control the categories of the POI? Is that possble to set the categories I wanted?

<snip>

But it looks like there is something in tourguide_tools that I may be able to edit to help me adjust the categories so that I get the categories in the POI sorting I want?

I was interested in something like

All

Found

Unfound

(my list of databases)

<Snip>

Making changes to the files in the TourGuide_Tools folder will cause unpredictable results. Not recommended.

The fixed logic of the POI Loader and GPSr firmware have some control over how the data is presented which we cannot modify. The GPSr and macro already provide you with "all" and "found" and list of databases. Everything that is not "found" is "unfound". The ability to sort by cache type is a core element of the macro so you will always see "Traditional", Multi", etc. within each database.

Run the macro for each database.

Then run POI Loader, be sure it is pointed to the parent folder of the database output folders.

See this post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3741873

All of your databases should appear on the GPSr sorted by database name. Hope this helps.

j

The hint display option was implemented some time ago, and I always choose to display the hint first. As many caches has a very long description, including several languages, I would also like to have an option to display the logs before the description.

I would prefer to first display the hint, followed by the logs, and optionally the cache description at the very end. Maybe all three could have similar options as for the hints ?

v5.10 has an option to display the logs before the description.

j

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

Thank You

v.5.9 Added alert type "TourGuide (no sound)"

j

jjreds, you are the man. I have followed this thread from the start and cannot thank you enough for what you have provided to the caching community. Even if this does not solve the scrambled voice problem with my 760 I really Thank You for your effort to help. Now I am waiting for an opportunity to test.

My best to you.

Ken

Thanks for the macro. Got a couple of things...

1) seems like there may be a bug if you try running the POI loader without the GPSr attached and click the recheck connection button. It loaded the POI loader several subsequent times.

2) Is there a way to only upload what is in the current filter as opposed to what is in the database?

Thanks again.

2) Is there a way to only upload what is in the current filter as opposed to what is in the database?

I know more than one person who I cache with have stated they would like to see the current filter as their way of using the macro.

Several of us are using the macro with great success. The "current filter" option would be a huge addition to the macro. In GSAK 7.5 they do have that as a option for uploading to the Colorado/Oregon series.

Just to clarify it is the Colorado/Oregon Export Macro that is very popular that has "use current filter".

Edited by cds231

I know more than one person who I cache with have stated they would like to see the current filter as their way of using the macro.

Several of us are using the macro with great success. The "current filter" option would be a huge addition to the macro. In GSAK 7.5 they do have that as a option for uploading to the Colorado/Oregon series.

Just to clarify it is the Colorado/Oregon Export Macro that is very popular that has "use current filter".

I've looked at this before....the macro does a lot of filtering "on the fly" to create the gpx files by cache type, found, unavailable, etc. So the current filter needs to saved and restored and joined with each of the cache type filters (could be up to 8 times). I've had difficulty getting this to work correctly in the past. I just need to take another look at it.

j

jjreds, you are the man. I have followed this thread from the start and cannot thank you enough for what you have provided to the caching community. Even if this does not solve the scrambled voice problem with my 760 I really Thank You for your effort to help. Now I am waiting for an opportunity to test.

My best to you.

Ken

Ken, if it uses a default tone I'll add a "silent" soundfile to be included in the tools. Let me know.

j

I've looked at this before....the macro does a lot of filtering "on the fly" to create the gpx files by cache type, found, unavailable, etc. So the current filter needs to saved and restored and joined with each of the cache type filters (could be up to 8 times). I've had difficulty getting this to work correctly in the past. I just need to take another look at it.

j

That is all we do is ask. If possible it would be great.

Thanks for your effort.

Everybody upgrade to 3.3.4 for the invalid file problem

checking on the hint display issue

Do you recall what was causing this on the original releases? I'm using Pilotsnipes macro and get this. If I run it twice, it always fixes it. If you could point to the solution, I could fix up the code in Pilotsnipes macro.

Thanks.

I'm doing something wrong :D

I have Pilotsnipes macro successfully installed on my Nuvi 650. Do I need to uninstall it before using this one?

I'm using GSAK 7.5.0.188 and the POI Loader recommended (and downloaded) from Pilotsnipes page.

I did the preliminary step of opening POI Loader and pointing it to C:\GSAK\POI_Loader. The macro runs, comes up with a "Check Connection" button which I click, and then says it worked, but nothing looks different (from Pilotsnipes macro) on my Nuvi. I've read and re-read the instructions and can't figure out what I'm missing!?!

Any help would be excellent!

Great macro! Very helpful. I like to see the different icons for the different types of cache and child waypoints.

I would like to know how to apply the export to the current filter and not to all the database. I first copied the filtered waypoints to a new database but I would be helpful not to have to do this.

Thank you very much again for the time you spent to create that macro!

My best to you.

Ken

Ken, if it uses a default tone I'll add a "silent" soundfile to be included in the tools. Let me know.

j

I had a chance to use the "Tourguide (No Sound)" and no sound was heard as expected. I set the Distance to 4000 feet thinking I would see an Icon (no alert sound) at that distance but the Icon only appeared about 600 feet or so from the cache location. I did notice that the female voices were stuttering pretty bad but when I switched to Daniel it was much better but not completely gone. Again, thank you for your help.

I'm doing something wrong :D

I have Pilotsnipes macro successfully installed on my Nuvi 650. Do I need to uninstall it before using this one?

I'm using GSAK 7.5.0.188 and the POI Loader recommended (and downloaded) from Pilotsnipes page.

I did the preliminary step of opening POI Loader and pointing it to C:\GSAK\POI_Loader. The macro runs, comes up with a "Check Connection" button which I click, and then says it worked, but nothing looks different (from Pilotsnipes macro) on my Nuvi. I've read and re-read the instructions and can't figure out what I'm missing!?!

Any help would be excellent!

What symbol(s) appear on the map for the caches?

Everybody upgrade to 3.3.4 for the invalid file problem

checking on the hint display issue

Do you recall what was causing this on the original releases? I'm using Pilotsnipes macro and get this. If I run it twice, it always fixes it. If you could point to the solution, I could fix up the code in Pilotsnipes macro.

Thanks.

??