Advanced Nuvi Macro

I did find that I am getting the user notes (great) and also the USER LOG (not so great for me). Is this the way the macro was intended for the results. If so I can live with it. Great to have the user notes.

Just to clarify. In GSAK when you click on the note column next to the cache name you have two fields you can fill in. USER NOTES and LOG SECTION.

User notes would be the solution to a puzzle etc.

Log section would be the log you write and then send on to GC.com to log your find.

I use the export macro for the Colorado/Oregon and keep the notes in my database. When running your macro for my found caches to export it includes both type of notes.

Again, not that big of a deal, just wondering if that was the way you intended for it to be.

Edited by cds231

I have spent the last two days loading and reloading the Advanced Nuvi Macro. I went to the link that you have put in the forum.

I have a Nuvi 650. I can not get the individual databases to load.

Call me stupid but am I suppose to create each individual database by filtering in GSAK? or is the program suppose to do it for me.

I was not clear on that. Please note I am not a programmer such as you so I am still learning the ins and outs of this geocaching and how to improve our game.

I would appreciate your patience in tryin to help me with this problem. :blink:

Thanks a lot,

OBnSue

obobrien

I did find that I am getting the user notes (great) and also the USER LOG (not so great for me). Is this the way the macro was intended for the results. If so I can live with it. Great to have the user notes.

Just to clarify. In GSAK when you click on the note column next to the cache name you have two fields you can fill in. USER NOTES and LOG SECTION.

Log section would be the log you write and then send on to GC.com to log your find.

I use the export macro for the Colorado/Oregon and keep the notes in my database. When running your macro for my found caches to export it includes both type of notes.

Again, not that big of a deal, just wondering if that was the way you intended for it to be.

Yes the $d_UserNote variable contains both the note and log. It looks like there is a delimiter in there so I'll take a look and see if we can just output the note.

j

I have spent the last two days loading and reloading the Advanced Nuvi Macro. I went to the link that you have put in the forum.

Call me stupid but am I suppose to create each individual database by filtering in GSAK? or is the program suppose to do it for me.

I was not clear on that. Please note I am not a programmer such as you so I am still learning the ins and outs of this geocaching and how to improve our game.

Thanks a lot,

OBnSue

obobrien

Please load and run Pilotsnipes macro to get a feel for the process. His tutorial will get you up and running quickly. http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Hi jjreds,

I'm having trouble sidplaying the POI creation date.

I've run the macro a number of times, being careful to click the creation box in the configuration. It appears to save the setting. I then create the GPX file and install it on my Nuvi. When I check the POI for a cache, there is no POI creation date.

I then check back to the macro and what was previously saved is no longer saved, that is the POI creation tick box is now cleared whereas when I created the GPX it was set to display the POI creation date.

This did work in the first release but does not work with the latest release.

Whilst on the subject of the POI creation date, is it possible to code that it used the PC date format?

Us aussies downunder use the DD/MM/YYYY format for dates!!

Thanks again for this great nuvi GSAK macro.

try v5.8.3

still unable to test here

j

Nivi 760 here and no change with v5.8.3

Used notes appearing ok but no spoiler pictures. Everything else ok.

I installed v2.8.2 spoiler and ran the Macro again. On the 760 I can see a page for a picture image on the 760 but cannot select the image as no image button appears (only a GO button). I then went to GSAK/POI_Loader/POI DATA and can see the picture there. If I had an Image button on the 760 I could select them. Maybe the problem is only with the 760 and not the other Nivi units; however, I remember it working on an earlier version. What else can I provide you?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Leftygator

v5.8.5 now displays just the note (not the log)

j

Hi jjreds,

I'm having trouble sidplaying the POI creation date.

I've run the macro a number of times, being careful to click the creation box in the configuration. It appears to save the setting. I then create the GPX file and install it on my Nuvi. When I check the POI for a cache, there is no POI creation date.

I then check back to the macro and what was previously saved is no longer saved, that is the POI creation tick box is now cleared whereas when I created the GPX it was set to display the POI creation date.

This did work in the first release but does not work with the latest release.

Whilst on the subject of the POI creation date, is it possible to code that it used the PC date format?

Us aussies downunder use the DD/MM/YYYY format for dates!!

Thanks again for this great nuvi GSAK macro.

try v5.8.3

still unable to test here

j

Nivi 760 here and no change with v5.8.3

Used notes appearing ok but no spoiler pictures. Everything else ok.

I installed v2.8.2 spoiler and ran the Macro again. On the 760 I can see a page for a picture image on the 760 but cannot select the image as no image button appears (only a GO button). I then went to GSAK/POI_Loader/POI DATA and can see the picture there. If I had an Image button on the 760 I could select them. Maybe the problem is only with the 760 and not the other Nivi units; however, I remember it working on an earlier version. What else can I provide you?

Thank you for your help.

I've got a bad usb cable but got it working long enough to test the spoiler pics. They are working ok here but if you have changed the GPX output path the spoilersync macro will have to be rerun. Or you could move the spoiler files from the old path just make sure to copy them all including the .txt files and get them into the correct database folder prior to making any changes to the GSAK database.

If "POI DATA" is the name of your GSAK database it should be working otherwise you have the spoilers in the wrong location due to making a change to the output path.

j

Thank you for your help.

I've got a bad usb cable but got it working long enough to test the spoiler pics. They are working ok here but if you have changed the GPX output path the spoilersync macro will have to be rerun. Or you could move the spoiler files from the old path just make sure to copy them all including the .txt files and get them into the correct database folder prior to making any changes to the GSAK database.

If "POI DATA" is the name of your GSAK database it should be working otherwise you have the spoilers in the wrong location due to making a change to the output path.

j

The Spoiler Pictures works fine on my 760.

Thanks a lot,

OBnSue

obobrien

Please load and run Pilotsnipes macro to get a feel for the process. His tutorial will get you up and running quickly. http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

I ran the tutorial a couple of days ago. It was a great help but did not tell me how to do the categories such as benchmarks and easy grabs from page one of this forum.

JJred have you considered adding "<gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>" to the waypoints that are not supposed to be proximity points like Parking places, reference points, etc?

Right now like the childpoints the macro leaves a blank.

I have replaced it on your macro and it has reduced drastically the amount of beeping. It is still triggered but I am not sure what causes it.

The downside is of course the waypoint will not show on the map unless you are zoomed in enough to show POI's but I guess if it fixes the beeping problems is a good compromise.

I guess what the macro should do is to make sure that all waypoints have the proper extension gpxx:Proximity regardless if they are proximity points or not.

Cheers

Hi Catch,

I just purchased my 760 a week ago. Could you tell me what Software version you have in your Nivi 760? Did you update any software from the Garmin Site to your Nivi 760?

Maybe that is my problem.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

I have used this macro with spoilers on my 760 for more than 6 months, and I have updated the software when Garmin releases an update. Current SW is 4.60 (released a few days back)

Maybe you have stored the downloaded spoiler pics in a different folder to the gpx, bmp and mp3 files ?.

As an example, I have a GSAK database called "Nordic", and all files to generate the POIs with spoilers is located in the "Nordic" folder:

C:\GSAK\POI_Loader\Nordic

In the Advanced Options of the macro, the GPX Output Path is: C:\gsak\POI_Loader\

Load Spoiler pics is enabled and then Run SpoilerSync Macro.

POI Loader Path: C:\gsak\POI_Loader\Nordic

Edited by Catch

Hi Catch,

I just purchased my 760 a week ago. Could you tell me what Software version you have in your Nivi 760? Did you update any software from the Garmin Site to your Nivi 760?

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

I have used this macro with spoilers on my 760 for more than 6 months, and I have updated the software when Garmin releases an update. Current SW is 4.60 (released a few days back)

Maybe you have stored the downloaded spoiler pics in a different folder to the gpx, bmp and mp3 files ?.

As an example, I have a GSAK database called "Nordic", and all files to generate the POIs with spoilers is located in the "Nordic" folder:

In the Advanced Options of the macro, the GPX Output Path is: C:\gsak\POI_Loader\

Thanks Catch,

The spolier pictures are located in C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data and I can see them in that folder. In addition on the 760 I get a page for them but no button named "Image" (only a GO button) to select the picture. I have Software version 4.5 on my 760. I think I will go to Garmin.com and download your version 4.6 and see if that corrects it.

Also I took the 760 out the first trial run last evening and when it got to within the alert distance the alarm went off as expected. There was another cache within .15 of the first cache and the Alarm did not go off to alert you on the new cache but you could see that Ammo Box on the screen. This is interesting.

Thanks

Ken

Edited by Leftygator

Hi Catch,

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks Catch,

The spolier pictures are located in C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data and I can see them in that folder. In addition on the 760 I get a page for them but no button named "Image" (only a GO button) to select the picture. I have Software version 4.5 on my 760. I think I will go to Garmin.com and download your version 4.6 and see if that corrects it.

Also I took the 760 out the first trial run last evening and when it got to within the alert distance the alarm went off as expected. There was another cache within .15 of the first cache and the Alarm did not go off to alert you on the new cache but you could see that Ammo Box on the screen. This is interesting.

Thanks

Ken

I have upgraded the 760 software to ver 4.6 plus any other upgrade that was available. No change from what is stated in paragraph 1 above. In the Spoiler window Waypoints are written to c:gsak\tour guide tools\poi data.loc and the other spoiler window is written to POL_Loader\POI Data\

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Ken

Just an idea: On the first page of the nuvi with the big GO button (and the "more" option in the bottom bar) - do you have a mini picture of the spoiler in the upper right corner? If so, press that picture. On some nuvis there isn't an "Image" button, just the thumbnail (such as my nuvi 660).

Also, when you look in the C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data and see the pictures (the .jpg files), do you also see the Tourguide files? There should be three for each category of caches (.bmp, .gpx and mp3). The pictures and the data files should be all in one folder named after the database in GSAK.

I don't know of any .loc files associated with the output. Are you sure that POILoader is pointing to the correct folder?

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Just an idea: On the first page of the nuvi with the big GO button (and the "more" option in the bottom bar) - do you have a mini picture of the spoiler in the upper right corner? If so, press that picture. On some nuvis there isn't an "Image" button, just the thumbnail (such as my nuvi 660).

Also, when you look in the C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data and see the pictures (the .jpg files), do you also see the Tourguide files? There should be three for each category of caches (.bmp, .gpx and mp3). The pictures and the data files should be all in one folder named after the database in GSAK.

I don't know of any .loc files associated with the output. Are you sure that POILoader is pointing to the correct folder?

Thanks for your help.

Para 1: No on the GO button page for a little Image of a picture.

Para 2: Yes I have three of each file located in the C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data so everything seems normal there.

Para 3: This may be the problem. After hitting the Run Spoiler Macro button at the top of the large window

next to Waypoint I have the following:

c:\Gask\Tour Guide_Tools\POI Data.loc

This may be the problem. What should it read. My email is okray@cableone.net.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Ken

Thanks for your help.

Para 2: Yes I have three of each file located in the C:\gsak\POI_Loader\POI Data so everything seems normal there.

Para 3: This may be the problem. After hitting the Run Spoiler Macro button at the top of the large window

Ken

The .loc file is just a temporary file and gets created whenever you run the spoiler mac. It contains a list of the gc codes to be run by SpoilerSync and is deleted by the macro.

"The .loc file is just a temporary file and gets created whenever you run the spoiler mac. It contains a list of the gc codes to be run by SpoilerSync and is deleted by the macro."

Ok we will rule that out as a possible problem. I am going to email Cache O'Plenty some pictures of the screen process and try to figure out what I am doing wrong. Thanks

I would appreciate your patience in tryin to help me with this problem. :lol:

Thanks a lot,

OBnSue

obobrien

Hi, I finally found out my problem with the program running. I had more than one copy of the program and all files associated with it. So I was constantly reloading the old database into the poi loader. I thank you for all of your help and thanks for your help

OBnSue

obobrien

I ran the tutorial a couple of days ago. It was a great help but did not tell me how to do the categories such as benchmarks and easy grabs from page one of this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

The .loc file is just a temporary file and gets created whenever you run the spoiler mac. It contains a list of the gc codes to be run by SpoilerSync and is deleted by the macro.

Catch and I have compared pictures via email of the 760 screen presentation of the spoiler picture and they are different. I have the actual pictures stored in the file but the right side of mine seems to be cut off and not allowing the thumbnail to be presented. I would post them here but just do not know how.

I have installed the latest software, version 4.6 and am up to date in that area. I have also attempted to check the same blocks that Catch does to make everything equal.

Are there any more 760 users on board having problems with spoilers or am I the only one?

Catch and I have compared pictures via email of the 760 screen presentation of the spoiler picture and they are different. I have the actual pictures stored in the file but the right side of mine seems to be cut off and not allowing the thumbnail to be presented. I would post them here but just do not know how.

I have installed the latest software, version 4.6 and am up to date in that area. I have also attempted to check the same blocks that Catch does to make everything equal.

Are there any more 760 users on board having problems with spoilers or am I the only one?

Hmm, I have not sent you any email....

I've looked through all the pages but admit I may have missed it and apologize in advance for the remedial question.... but here goes...

How can I prevent my owned caches from downloading and appearing on the Nuvi?

I do not have a check mark next to Include Owned caches?

Owned by ID: I've left it blank, entered my Geocaching name and tried my owner ID but they're still showing up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How can I prevent my owned caches from downloading and appearing on the Nuvi?

I do not have a check mark next to Include Owned caches?

Owned by ID: I've left it blank, entered my Geocaching name and tried my owner ID but they're still showing up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well, one sure fire way would be to run a Filter under Search/Filter/Placed By/Contains= (Your Name) and delete your caches out of the GSAK database before running the macro.

The only thing you should need to do is to set the "Owned by (ID)" to 407470

Yep, it's in there with 407470

And, in GSAK, Options, General, Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches, check Owner ID# and that 407470 is entered.

Aha... I hd GSAK with name. Changing both to ID and it all worked. Thanks for the help; much appreciated.

Hmm, I have not sent you any email....

So Sorry for posting the wrong name. It should have read "Cache O’Plenty" and not Catch who have been exchanging emails.

I took my new Nivi 760 on a caching run yesterday and it was not a good experience. The Nivi locked up a few times and had to be turned off to get it running again. The voice directions were broken up many times and hard to understand. The selected route was complete turned off and had to be reset several times. On two occasions the person selected on the Nivi went blank and the defaults had to be called in to be able to select another person to give directions. All of this seem to occur with the alerts going off and confusing the Nivi. I could be wrong on the alerts being the cause, but the problem seems to occur after an alert.

All of the above problems plus the previously reported Spoiler problem.

Is anyone else out there using the Nivi 760? If so how about a report on your problems. I previously had a Nivi 660 and did not have any problem.

I took my new Nivi 760 on a caching run yesterday and it was not a good experience. The Nivi locked up a few times and had to be turned off to get it running again. The voice directions were broken up many times and hard to understand. The selected route was complete turned off and had to be reset several times. On two occasions the person selected on the Nivi went blank and the defaults had to be called in to be able to select another person to give directions. All of this seem to occur with the alerts going off and confusing the Nivi. I could be wrong on the alerts being the cause, but the problem seems to occur after an alert.

Is anyone else out there using the Nivi 760? If so how about a report on your problems. I previously had a Nivi 660 and did not have any problem.

My 760 works perfect with this macro. It locked up often earlier, but that was corrected in a Garmin SW release some months back.

My 760 works perfect with this macro. It locked up often earlier, but that was corrected in a Garmin SW release some months back.

Thanks for your reply Catch. What Version software is on your 760? Might is 4.6. We may need to compare notes on screen outputs if you are willing. I'm glad to hear that the 760 is working on yours. Are you also getting spoiler pictures?

Again, thanks for your reply. Maybe I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your reply Catch. What Version software is on your 760? Might is 4.6. We may need to compare notes on screen outputs if you are willing. I'm glad to hear that the 760 is working on yours. Are you also getting spoiler pictures?

Again, thanks for your reply. Maybe I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

I use 4.6 also.

I am glad if I can help in any way. Send me a PM.

JJred have you considered adding "<gpxx:Proximity>0</gpxx:Proximity>" to the waypoints that are not supposed to be proximity points like Parking places, reference points, etc?

I have replaced it on your macro and it has reduced drastically the amount of beeping. It is still triggered but I am not sure what causes it.

The downside is of course the waypoint will not show on the map unless you are zoomed in enough to show POI's but I guess if it fixes the beeping problems is a good compromise.

I guess what the macro should do is to make sure that all waypoints have the proper extension gpxx:Proximity regardless if they are proximity points or not.

Cheers

Try v5.8.6 and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for your help.

j

Cheers

j

JJ I think theres not much that can be done. It has improved but the continuous beeping is still triggered but less often.

I think it is either a bug of the Nuvis or POI_Loader.

I have already reported this to Garmim, I can only wait they will fix it soon. :wub:

Over the last week or so I have been reporting that I have been unable to get spoiler pictures on my new 760. The pages are downloaded and all appear to be working but I do not have the ability to select to view them. Have tried several things to get it to work but have been unsuccessful.

Today I hooked up my 760 to the Macro and then selected the 6xx as the series to to use in place of the 7xx series to process the Macro. This works and I am able to view spoiler pictures without a problem. I do receive the "Image" button and can select them on my 760. If I process the Macro using the 7xx series I DO NOT get the "Image" button.

Listed below is the other problem I am having but do not know if it will be corrected by using the 6xx series in place of the 7xx series. I will need to go on anohter caching run to see if it makes the 760 work better.

QUOTE(Leftygator @ Dec 31 2008, 05:45 PM)

Over the last week or so I have been reporting that I have been unable to get spoiler pictures on my new 760. The pages are downloaded and all appear to be working but I do not have the ability to select to view them. Have tried several things to get it to work but have been unsuccessful.

Today I hooked up my 760 to the Macro and then selected the 6xx as the series to to use in place of the 7xx series to process the Macro. This works and I am able to view spoiler pictures without a problem. I do receive the "Image" button and can select them on my 760. If I process the Macro using the 7xx series I DO NOT get the "Image" button.

Listed below is the other problem I am having but do not know if it will be corrected by using the 6xx series in place of the 7xx series. I will need to go on anohter caching run to see if it makes the 760 work better.

QUOTE(Leftygator @ Dec 31 2008, 05:45 PM)

I sent some screen pictures of the process and Catch pointed out that I had a path wrong on one of the screen. Thanks to Catch the pictures are now working on my 760. I will test the other problem that I have at on my next cache run at a later date.

Cheers

j

JJ I think theres not much that can be done. It has improved but the continuous beeping is still triggered but less often.

I have already reported this to Garmim, I can only wait they will fix it soon. :)

I've often wondered if the Nuvi gets "confused" in a high density cache area and alerts whenever crossing a TourGuide radius. If true, in the below pic the three POI's would create 6 alerts:

temp.jpg

I have a feature request that I wonder if it could be adapted.

Out here in the Seattle area, we have what we call Cache Machines where a group of is will run a predefined route hunting for upwards of 100 caches in a single day.

We use the User Data feild to number the caches in the order of the route.

Is there a way for the macro to key on that field so that when loaded into a Nuvi, they would be listed in the same order as the User Data has them?

I Berta I dont it is possible to do it as the nuvi sorts the POI's based on distance from current location and nothing else.

What you probably should do is to create a new database with these predefined caches and load them into the nuvi.

I assume that would give a more or less list of what you are looking for.

I have a feature request that I wonder if it could be adapted.

Out here in the Seattle area, we have what we call Cache Machines where a group of is will run a predefined route hunting for upwards of 100 caches in a single day.

We use the User Data feild to number the caches in the order of the route.

Is there a way for the macro to key on that field so that when loaded into a Nuvi, they would be listed in the same order as the User Data has them?

edit - I see ZeMartelo and I cross posted........ how about a multi-stop route?

Edited by jjreds

Cheers

j

I have already reported this to Garmim, I can only wait they will fix it soon. :)

I've often wondered if the Nuvi gets "confused" in a high density cache area and alerts whenever crossing a TourGuide radius. If true, in the below pic the three POI's would create 6 alerts:

temp.jpg

You are probably right JJ. To Garmin defense I dont think they expected the Tourguide feature to be used for geocaching.

If the feature was used for what it was intended for would not have such concentration of POI's.

I have reported this problem to Garmin but havent heard anything yet, so I guess the only way to fix this problem is to replace the beep sound with one that has 30secods silence, at least that way it only beeps once every 30 seconds... :)

I Berta I dont it is possible to do it as the nuvi sorts the POI's based on distance from current location and nothing else.

What you probably should do is to create a new database with these predefined caches and load them into the nuvi.

I assume that would give a more or less list of what you are looking for.

Im trying to figure out how a friend of mine was able to get the caches to come up in the correct order on his Tom-Tom. He did mention that he had to hand enter either the coords or the User Data Numbers one at a time onto the GPS. Not sure how he could have done that.

I just got my Nuvi 760 at Christmas and been playing with the macro. Its pretty slick. Thanks for writing it. It installed the POI's without any issues.

Is there a way to turn off alerts for parking and reference waypoints? If not can this feature be added? I like to cut back on unneccesary alerts if possible.

Steve

New feature wish (like it would be nice to have, but not sure it can be done).

Just like having caches stored on my nuvi (with pics) it would be great if the nuvi could also store information about TBs and coins, so that one has their description (most importantly their mission) on hand when in the field. Many don't have their mission statement with them (ie no attached doc on the TB itself), and then it's hard to decide at the cache whether to take them along or not.

I am not sure even gsak stores info on TBs (after all there is no PQ facility for them), though for the nuvi I envision something like this:

a) the nuvi macro could extract the IDs of each TB from each cache entry slated for storage on the nuvi.

:yikes: it could then download the TB info in a manner similar to that for spoiler pics and store them for re-use

(similar to pics, one might have to refresh these once in a while in case the mission changes,

the macro could even do that automatically every n days after the last update)

c) in addition, the macro could be configured with (or find out online) a list of one's own TBS (or also a list of

favourites) and fetch their info also..

d) the TBS could then get stored as a special type of POI

e) hopefully one can easily look these up from the nuvi. Here I see the hardest challenge:

1. the nuvi won't be able to store the secret TB lookup code to use for finding them of course.

2. on the other hand, the TB usually will not have a name or its public code listed on the TB itself

for looking it up with (unless it has an accompanying TB sheet, which would then include the mission

anyway)

3. even a name etc would likely be missing from the TB found in the field unless it has a sheet

4. so the best way would be via the cache, ie there would need to be some way to look up TBs from the

cache page (by clicking or a separate TB button), or by entering the cache code again (so the TB POIs might have to include the cache ID or something)

thoughts anyone?