Advanced Nuvi Macro

upgrade to v5.6.5 to resolve the issue with child waypoints when using GSAK beta 7.5

j

Just upgraded to v5.6.5 and tested against a small database with 3 child waypoints. Still get an error but it's a bit different. Now (from the error log) it says:

Error in Macro at line: 1044

$child_lat=

Error=> (Pos: 11) String type value expected

There is a type mismatch issue with a text variable and the %c_lat/lon special tags in GSAK 7.5. Reformatted the child lat/lon output in v5.6.6

j

I just got my Nuvi today and am hoping to give it a trial run using this macro before I have to wrap it up and put it under the tree...

My problem is that I don't seem to be getting the bmp and mp3 files with my download. I'm sure the answer is simple but it's eluding me. I have checked the POI_Loader file created by the macro (nothing but gpx files there after macro runs) and TourGuide_Tools (empty).

Any suggestions?

jjreds, again, thanks so much for this macro! It is totally awesome on our Street pilot c550 with all the images available for viewing. One question, at some future date will images work on our Colorado 300? Or is this a problem with the Colorado/Oregon and not a function of the macro?

I just got my Nuvi today and am hoping to give it a trial run using this macro before I have to wrap it up and put it under the tree...

My problem is that I don't seem to be getting the bmp and mp3 files with my download. I'm sure the answer is simple but it's eluding me. I have checked the POI_Loader file created by the macro (nothing but gpx files there after macro runs) and TourGuide_Tools (empty).

Any suggestions?

What version of GSAK are you running?

jjreds, again, thanks so much for this macro! It is totally awesome on our Street pilot c550 with all the images available for viewing. One question, at some future date will images work on our Colorado 300? Or is this a problem with the Colorado/Oregon and not a function of the macro?

The macro is creating the files and references and when Garmin decides to update the firmware to include the ability to display an image it should work. I have contacted Garmin several times about this issue and the best answer I got was, "yes we can confirm that the image function is not available on the Colorado and Oregon. We have forwarded your request to our software development team to be considered for inclusion in a future firmware release"

j

Thanks jjreds! I thought as much. I have to laugh because that is the same lame response I continue to get when asking other such questions from Garmin techsupp. :D The Colorado has so much potential to improve but they don't seem to be listening to us users anymore.

Any suggestions?

What version of GSAK are you running?

I ran the update from inside the macro and they're there now.

Thanks.

JJreds,

I have the latest macro version and latest Gsak version.

Tonight I got the error again similar to the previous ones.

Theres still problems handling childpoints.

In this case the childpoint was one that was added by me to the cache using Gsak.

Once I removed the childpoint the macro worked fine.

JJreds,

I have the latest macro version and latest Gsak version.

Tonight I got the error again similar to the previous ones.

Theres still problems handling childpoints.

In this case the childpoint was one that was added by me to the cache using Gsak.

Once I removed the childpoint the macro worked fine.

I tried but can't duplicate the problem. Confirm you are using GSAK 7.5.0.163 and macro v5.6.7

It would help to see the error message. Thanks.

j

I tried but can't duplicate the problem. Confirm you are using GSAK 7.5.0.163 and macro v5.6.7

It would help to see the error message. Thanks.

j

jjreds - I can't believe the amount of hand reprocessing I had to do with the DandH.gsk and other macros before I found your macro.

I had the same problem that ZeMartelo had until I noticed that Clyde had put out build 163 and I was still on 159.

Have you considered adding a version check at the beginning of the macro to warn if GSAK isn't up to date?

Edited by divercth

Thanks for pointing that there was a new GSAK version.

No more errors since the upgrade.

JJreds you might want to take a look at Pilotsnipes macro because there is a new version and it works fine as far has proximity warning beeps is concerned.

It only beeps once per waypoint within the proximity range.

I've tested it your macro and Pilotsnipes simulating the same route and the difference is clear. With you macro if theres more than one waypoint its beep hell while with Pilotsnips its one beep per waypoint as it should be.

At this time I have to say theres something on your macro that triggers the behaviour.

Let me know how I can help figuring this.

Are there other users of this macro that have the same problem?

I surely cant be the only one??

I use a nuvi 660 and I do load photos. It beeps once for the cache and then once for each photo AFTER the first one. And it beeps for each additional cache as it comes into range (and, of course, it's photos beyond the first one).

Most of the time I only load "Spoiler" pictures now to reduce the beeps and I don't find I really use them too often around home anyway.

It also beeps for each "additional" waypoint IF they were loaded as a "Normal Waypoint" (in the File\Load process of a ZIP/GPX file) - that's why previous logs have recommended loading them as "Child Waypoints".

I use a nuvi 660 and I do load photos. It beeps once for the cache and then once for each photo AFTER the first one. And it beeps for each additional cache as it comes into range (and, of course, it's photos beyond the first one).

Most of the time I only load "Spoiler" pictures now to reduce the beeps and I don't find I really use them too often around home anyway.

It also beeps for each "additional" waypoint IF they were loaded as a "Normal Waypoint" (in the File\Load process of a ZIP/GPX file) - that's why previous logs have recommended loading them as "Child Waypoints".

I have the 255W.

I dont use photos.

When importing PQ waypoints are imported as child.

So far the difference is the nuvi.

Ok, heres the issue Im having. I created 16 databases in GSAK so that I could get all caches within 100 miles of my home loaded on to my Nuvi 260W. So far Ive only been able to get the PQ's for 5 of the databases. I have named the DB's nuv 1, nuv 2, etc.

I defined each query by date placed on the caches so that none of the db's would have duplicate caches in them. I ended up with 7100 caches to load onto the Nuvi.

I did a test run and loaded 5 of the db's onto the nivi, but when I went to the nuvi, only caches that were in the 5th database showed up in the nuvi.

I know that I can accomplish what I want to do in GSAK by merging all 16 databases into on, but with keeping them seperate, I could update them one by one weekly to keep the information more current.

I know that I can accomplish what I want to do in GSAK by merging all 16 databases into on, but with keeping them seperate, I could update them one by one weekly to keep the information more current.

I'm not sure, but the NightlyDBUpdate macro found here may help you consolidate and still update your waypoints in groups based on different center points.

After being redirected here by Pilotsnipes ... i'm amazed at this macro!! A true work of art!

I'm a professional software developer myself, so i recognize the amount of work that has gone into this "little" gem.

I have one or two questions, and one or two request though

1. What nuvi type should i select to suite my Zumo best?
  2. It would be very nice (for me) to have the base-export directory as a parameter. I use Poi_Loader to load other POIs to my garmin to, always usng the Custom directory option. So silent mode is no option for me (why can't the #@%$#@$ Garmin-program can't use command line parameters?????). I've altered the macro myself, adding a $Gpx_Homedir variable
  3. I find the settings "POI Icon" / "Disable built-in icons" / "Use treasure chest Icons" very confusing. They seem to overlap or contradict each other, and its not quite clear to me what they all do. Could someone clarify this?
  4. Why do you always unzip the included zipfile when starting the macro? In a stable user environment the icon files will not have changed since the last tiume the macro was started.
  5. (very minor esthetically observation) the captions of the checkboxes in advanced options are not aligned properly

I'm still to find out what the Options "Large text" and "SLice and dice" mean, and how the spoilerpics work, but i'll do some searching for this before bothering you all with beginners-questions :-)

But already a big THANKS!

Thanks for pointing that there was a new GSAK version.

No more errors since the upgrade.

JJreds you might want to take a look at Pilotsnipes macro because there is a new version and it works fine as far has proximity warning beeps is concerned.

It only beeps once per waypoint within the proximity range.

I've tested it your macro and Pilotsnipes simulating the same route and the difference is clear. With you macro if theres more than one waypoint its beep hell while with Pilotsnips its one beep per waypoint as it should be.

At this time I have to say theres something on your macro that triggers the behaviour.

Let me know how I can help figuring this.

Are there other users of this macro that have the same problem?

I surely cant be the only one??

Are you running POIL in manual mode and specifying an alert distance for your database(s) like you do with Pilotsnipes macro? This macro sets the alert type and distance in the XML output. POIL should always be run in express mode when using this macro unless you choose "No Alerts" as the alert type. If you are doing it both ways you may be getting double alerts.

1. It would be very nice (for me) to have the base-export directory as a parameter. I use Poi_Loader to load other POIs to my garmin to, always usng the Custom directory option. So silent mode is no option for me (why can't the #@%$#@$ Garmin-program can't use command line parameters?????). I've altered the macro myself, adding a $Gpx_Homedir variable

+1 Yes please too.

I'm still to find out what the Options "Large text" and "SLice and dice" mean, and how the spoilerpics work, but i'll do some searching for this before bothering you all with beginners-questions :-)

Large text basically means what it says, the text for the descriptions etc will be a lot larger than what is standard on your gps. I know this works on nuvis, maybe it doesn't on Zumo etc.

Slice and Dice means to take the tradional caches and split them into Traditional Micro/Traditional Small/Traditional Large etc.

Just more sub categories.

Ok, heres the issue Im having. I created 16 databases in GSAK so that I could get all caches within 100 miles of my home loaded on to my Nuvi 260W. So far Ive only been able to get the PQ's for 5 of the databases. I have named the DB's nuv 1, nuv 2, etc.

I defined each query by date placed on the caches so that none of the db's would have duplicate caches in them. I ended up with 7100 caches to load onto the Nuvi.

I did a test run and loaded 5 of the db's onto the nivi, but when I went to the nuvi, only caches that were in the 5th database showed up in the nuvi.

POI Loader loads all of the valid files in the selected folder and any sub-folders (1st level only). I think you had POI Loader pointed to nuv 5?

Slide1-3.jpg

After being redirected here by Pilotsnipes ... i'm amazed at this macro!! A true work of art!

I'm a professional software developer myself, so i recognize the amount of work that has gone into this "little" gem.

I have one or two questions, and one or two request though

1. What nuvi type should i select to suite my Zumo best?

Pick the Nuvi 2xx which has a 320w screen. The spoiler pics are resized for the GPSr's screen width to save space and speed up load time.

It would be very nice (for me) to have the base-export directory as a parameter. I use Poi_Loader to load other POIs to my garmin to, always usng the Custom directory option. So silent mode is no option for me (why can't the #@%$#@$ Garmin-program can't use command line parameters?????). I've altered the macro myself, adding a $Gpx_Homedir variable

Why not load all of your custom POI's into GSAK? I've been resisting this but since it is the "advanced" macro why not.....

I find the settings "POI Icon" / "Disable built-in icons" / "Use treasure chest Icons" very confusing. They seem to overlap or contradict each other, and its not quite clear to me what they all do. Could someone clarify this?

Checking "Use my icons?" allows you to replace the built-in bitmaps with any symbols you choose.

Treasure chest icons use the tra and multi treasure chests (Garmin style) rather than the Groundspeak symbols. This function will be overridden by selecting the custom symbol option.

Why do you always unzip the included zipfile when starting the macro? In a stable user environment the icon files will not have changed since the last tiume the macro was started.

I agree, the macro has seen many revisions over that last few months many of which affected the built-in files. It may be time to add some some logic to check to see if the files are intact before unzipping.

(very minor esthetically observation) the captions of the checkboxes in advanced options are not aligned properly

The alignment acts different on different systems. Not sure what causes that.

[*]It would be very nice (for me) to have the base-export directory as a parameter. I use Poi_Loader to load other POIs to my garmin to, always usng the Custom directory option. So silent mode is no option for me (why can't the #@%$#@$ Garmin-program can't use command line parameters?????). I've altered the macro myself, adding a $Gpx_Homedir variable

Why not load all of your custom POI's into GSAK? I've been resisting this but since it is the "advanced" macro why not.....

Because some of my POIs come as readymade .gpx files including bmp. So i see no use in importing those in a separate database, to export them into the same gpx i had downloaded earlier

Besides that, i dont want all POI in one .GPI file, so i can choose to not update only the things that actually have changed. So i've organized my different POI file in different subfolders beneath the POI folder on my Garmin. That way i can also choose to delete a POI i'm i.e. only interested in during a holiday

I currently have the Garmin Nivi 660 and thinking about ordering the Garmin Nivi 760 because I need new maps and the price is right on the 760. Is anyone currently using the 760 and are there any problems using the the current Macro with that unit?

I must add a big Thank You for all the hard work and giving us this Macro. I have certainly enjoyed it.

Are you running POIL in manual mode and specifying an alert distance for your database(s) like you do with Pilotsnipes macro? This macro sets the alert type and distance in the XML output. POIL should always be run in express mode when using this macro unless you choose "No Alerts" as the alert type. If you are doing it both ways you may be getting double alerts.

I am running POI_Loader in express mode.

I've looked at both created GPX files and the only difference that I found is that you use the address extensions to fill with the cache data while Pilotsnipes only used the Postal code extension.

IE.

Your entry:

<extensions>

<gpxx:WaypointExtension>

<gpxx:Proximity>500</gpxx:Proximity>

<gpxx:DisplayMode>SymbolAndName</gpxx:DisplayMode>

<gpxx:Address>

<gpxx:StreetAddress>N45° 41.109,W65° 35.495</gpxx:StreetAddress>

<gpxx:StreetAddress>Clear Cut View by Tetagoucher</gpxx:StreetAddress>

<gpxx:City>Tra/Reg/FFFF/Tb:N, (D:2/T:1.5)</gpxx:City>

<gpxx:State></gpxx:State>

<gpxx:PostalCode></gpxx:PostalCode>

</gpxx:Address>

<gpxx:PhoneNumber Category='Email'>Pl:30/06/2007, LF:25/10/2008</gpxx:PhoneNumber>

</gpxx:WaypointExtension>

</extensions>

Pilotsnipes:

<extensions>

<gpxx:WaypointExtension>

<gpxx:DisplayMode>SymbolAndName</gpxx:DisplayMode>

<gpxx:Address>

<gpxx:PostalCode>

N45° 35.444,W65° 35.695

Tra/Reg/FFFF/Tb:N, (D:2/T:2)

Another Magnetic Hill - This one's free!!! by The Major Family,

Pl:30/09/2004, LF:08/10/2008

</gpxx:PostalCode>

</gpxx:Address>

</gpxx:WaypointExtension>

</extensions>

I am still surprised that I am the only one that has this problem.

No one else has a 255W or 2X5 model?

Mine beeps once for each cache proximity waypoint, then again for each and every spoiler photo associated with that particular cache. Perhaps if you skip loading spoiler photos you will get the single beep you desire.

I just took a look and no <Proximity> tag is generated for the spoilers. So they should not be alerting?

Is it possible to changethe way Child waypoint info is displayed. As an example, a waypoints is displayed on my Nuvi 760 like this:

SK1AR73 - Parking Area

Child of GC1AR73

Instead of the GC #, I like to see the name of the cache

SK1AR73 - Parking Area

Child og Gryte-Hytta

I like to mention that I have a similar wish for my Oregon 300, where I use the Colorado Export macro. The above child waypoints is displayed in the waypoint list as SK1AR73. But, I will post the Oregon issue elsewhere.

jjreds,

Feature request - any chance of adding into the details the date the POI was created so as when in the field you have an idea as to how old your information is.

Whilst I try and do a weekly update, sometimes this isn't possible and then I struggle to remember when the last time I ran the macro was.

Jardry

Tools/Grab Coordinates did not work very well with the CSV I tried. However, I did find PoiEdit at http://www.poiedit.com/ that has showed some promise of converting CSV directly to GPX and then loading that into GSAK. So far I've only imported a CSV and then exported it as GPX. GSAK could read it but the waypoint name is truncated. Still working......

If you don't mind running the 7.5 Beta, the load dialog now caters for CSV files. For more information see this help topic

1612200864910.png

while we're at feature requests:

I would like to see a 'slice and dice' option 'mine' or 'ours' similar to the 'found' one, which would contain those caches that belong to me.

I would also love to be able to have more than one gc username/id checked for 'mine' (and for found), as I am sharing my GPS with my wife who has her own name.

Reading the recent comments, I realized that I too have the issue of the nuvi (360 NA) beeping many times for a single cache, which likely is due to child waypoints or spoiler pictures. I'd love for that to stop too.

while we're at feature requests:

I would like to see a 'slice and dice' option 'mine' or 'ours' similar to the 'found' one, which would contain those caches that belong to me.

I would also love to be able to have more than one gc username/id checked for 'mine' (and for found), as I am sharing my GPS with my wife who has her own name.

Reading the recent comments, I realized that I too have the issue of the nuvi (360 NA) beeping many times for a single cache, which likely is due to child waypoints or spoiler pictures. I'd love for that to stop too.

And another feature request.

Archived caches do not get returned in PQs, which means that when importing a newer version of a PQ after a cache has been archived, the archived cache will remain in the GSAK db as active..

Could we get a feature that inspect the 'last GPX' field in the GSAK db for caches and if that is too far back (by a configurable number of days) to not load the cache to the nuvi (or maybe add it to a 'possibly gone' category rather than the normal ones, indicating the last GPX date?

That way archived caches will not get onto the nuvi even if they stay in GSAK.

<snip>

[*] Don't create a new category for waypoints with corrected coordinates, but use corrected coordinates in stead of the original ones. Leave the waypoint-type the same, and add a "Corrected" text the name and/or description

The corrected category and solved puzzle icon were requested by another user who wanted all of the solved puzzles to be grouped together........

j

Is it possible to changethe way Child waypoint info is displayed. As an example, a waypoints is displayed on my Nuvi 760 like this:

SK1AR73 - Parking Area

Child of GC1AR73

Instead of the GC #, I like to see the name of the cache

SK1AR73 - Parking Area

Child og Gryte-Hytta

I like to mention that I have a similar wish for my Oregon 300, where I use the Colorado Export macro. The above child waypoints is displayed in the waypoint list as SK1AR73. But, I will post the Oregon issue elsewhere.

Catch try v5.6.8 I don't have my Nuvi to check the output but you should see "Child of <cache name>"

j

jjreds,

Feature request - any chance of adding into the details the date the POI was created so as when in the field you have an idea as to how old your information is.

Whilst I try and do a weekly update, sometimes this isn't possible and then I struggle to remember when the last time I ran the macro was.

Jardry

In ver 5.6.8 waypoints should now display "POI Created:<dd-mm-yyyy>"