Advanced Nuvi Macro

Hello,

I haven't used the macro a while and today i upgraded to 5.5. When the poi loader starts i get an error (invalid) on the Tradiotonal Tourguide.gpx. The rest of the gpx files have no problem. I have a nuvi 200.

What could be wrong?

Dennis

Same here, and I was just about to post a message about this myself. It is not possible to open the Traditional Tourguide.gpx in Mapsource either.

I'll have to see the .gpx to figure out what's wrong. Working ok here.

j

Just sent you a gpx file by mail.

Here is the result?!

NewPicture1.jpg

Anyone who has the dreaded "invalid", run the macro without spoiler pictures and send the gpx files to jjreds01 at gmail dot com. Thanks.

If you are getting the dreaded "invalid" check for GC1BF7J. If you have it, try deleting it and reloading it. It was causing a problem in the gpx files sent to me.

j

GC1BF7J is not included in any of my databases. I am pretty sure that the problem was introduced when I was upgrading from 5.4.8 to 5.5, but I have not saved the 5.4.8 version, so I am not able to "downgrade" and check again.

Edited by Catch

Please upgrade to ver 5.5.1

Found a bug causing the invalid.

The version check file was incorrect - may have been causing the upgrade button hang.

j

Just upgraded to 5.5.1 and i can confirm the problem is fixed.

thanks for the service and the great macro.

Dennis

The version check file was incorrect - may have been causing the upgrade button hang.

j

Just upgraded to 5.5.1 and i can confirm the problem is fixed.

thanks for the service and the great macro.

Dennis

I just got a new Garmin Nuvi 500 and I have 400 custom POI loading and can't get the proximity points screen to come up so I can set it to show the caches when I'm driving near them. can anyone help??

In the macro screen on the top right, you need to set up the alert type to Tourguide and type how far from your position do you want to be warned of a cache.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply..but as faw as I can see I don't have a Tourguide when I click on the small screnn..

Check the settings outlined in Red in the picture below:

Slide1-2.jpg

Also make sure you are running POI Loader ver. 2.5.2.0

I just got a new Garmin Nuvi 500 and I have 400 custom POI loading and can't get the proximity points screen to come up so I can set it to show the caches when I'm driving near them. can anyone help??

In the macro screen on the top right, you need to set up the alert type to Tourguide and type how far from your position do you want to be warned of a cache.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply..but as faw as I can see I don't have a Tourguide when I click on the small screnn..

Slide1-2.jpg

Thank you jjreds! A few days ago I stumbled across the other thread about pilotsnipes' macro, read through it, installed the macro and thought WOW!! It was awesome!

THEN, I find this thread, and have been reading through it for a couple days. Double WOWOW!!! I downloaded the macro tonight, installed it, loaded a bunch of PQ's in GSAK and ran it. It worked perfectly! (I have a Nuvi 200)

Thank you for all the hours you've put into making paperless caching so easy for all of us!

:)

edit: stupid didn't preview and see typo

Edited by mizdeeds

[Where did you get that screen from first time I have saw it.??is it on the computer or GPS??

Hope that helps.

Slide1-2.jpg

j

Installed 5.5.1 today.

Update still hangs Gsak.

Assuming you have a good internet connection, the update check is done via a VBS call - make sure your MS Visual Basic run-time files are up-to-date or just check here.

Edited by jjreds

j

Installed 5.5.1 today.

Update still hangs Gsak.

Assuming you have a good internet connection, the update check is done via a VBS call - make sure your MS Visual Basic run-time files are up-to-date or just check here.

I updated the VBS runtime and I still have the same problem.

The update doesnt work. :)

Is there a log verbose that would describe what is happening with the update procedure?

Maybe it could help you understand why it fails!

j

Installed 5.5.1 today.

Update still hangs Gsak.

I updated the VBS runtime and I still have the same problem.

The update doesnt work. :)

Is there a log verbose that would describe what is happening with the update procedure?

Maybe it could help you understand why it fails!

Suggest you go here for updates. It is working as intended on the computers I use.

Edited by jjreds

Hi jjreds,

Great macro! Thanks in advance for your work on this.

2 things:

1) On the cache summary page (before pressing 'More' to see the full details), my Garmin Nuvi 680 has a phone button at the bottom that covers the last line of text (see image). I noticed that this doesn't happen with pilotsnipes' Nuvi macro, however I prefer yours as it has more functionality. Not a big deal, but thought I would ask.

155vn1.png

2) I just updated to v5.6 today and the cache description at the very top of each cache page doesn't show... it only shows $cacheinfo (again, see image below). This worked fine in v5.5.1.

169qp9.png

Thanks again for all your work on this macro!

Hi jjreds,

2 things:

1) On the cache summary page (before pressing 'More' to see the full details), my Garmin Nuvi 680 has a phone button at the bottom that covers the last line of text (see image). I noticed that this doesn't happen with pilotsnipes' Nuvi macro, however I prefer yours as it has more functionality. Not a big deal, but thought I would ask.

155vn1.png

2) I just updated to v5.6 today and the cache description at the very top of each cache page doesn't show... it only shows $cacheinfo (again, see image below). This worked fine in v5.5.1.

169qp9.png

Please roll back to 5.5.1 (link on the update page), I'm out of pocket for a few days I'll fix these issues when I return. Thanks.

j

All I can say is Wow! Thanks for taking the time to create this masterpiece. I just received my Nuvi 755 yesterday and am still trying to learn all of your macro's capability but it is so nice to have everything in one package. I will still cache with my old 60CS but trying to navigate on road with its small screen was dangerous when caching alone. Then I had to use my Palm to get caching information which was a bit slow and hard to read. Thanks again!

Edited by Explorer99

Hi jjreds,

2 things:

155vn1.png

169qp9.png

#2 should be fixed in v5.6.1

looking at #1

j

I have a question about the alerts, and haven't seen it addressed yet here.

It dings and the red bar shows up across the top of the screen, but from there, if I want to see the info about the cache, or actually "go" to it, I have to go through half a dozen choices to get to that option. By then, I've passed the POI in question. Is there a way to put a button on the screen that I can touch to bring it up?

In a previous post someone mentioned the "red lips" that pop up, but that's not on my Nuvi 200. I believe someone asked then about it but I didn't find an answer.

Thanks!

It dings and the red bar shows up across the top of the screen, but from there, if I want to see the info about the cache, or actually "go" to it, I have to go through half a dozen choices to get to that option. By then, I've passed the POI in question. Is there a way to put a button on the screen that I can touch to bring it up?

In a previous post someone mentioned the "red lips" that pop up, but that's not on my Nuvi 200. I believe someone asked then about it but I didn't find an answer.

Thanks!

I'll try this one!

When the red bar shows up, just press it, and the cache info page should open!

I don't have the "lips" button on my Nuvi 350, I have a button with a picture of a speaker, in the lower left corner. Press that, and a list of all caches within your alert distance should show up, just caches you haven't found. This button is helpful if you're close to a lot of caches.

Do these work for you?

Mike

Thanks!

I'll try this one!

When the red bar shows up, just press it, and the cache info page should open!

I don't have the "lips" button on my Nuvi 350, I have a button with a picture of a speaker, in the lower left corner. Press that, and a list of all caches within your alert distance should show up, just caches you haven't found. This button is helpful if you're close to a lot of caches.

Do these work for you?

Mike

Yes, I've tried pressing the red bar, but nothing happens. There isn't a speaker button either, so I don't have any option to see what the other alerts are. Seems like at one point, I did get a list of alerts after going through the menus, so I'll have to mess with it some more. Maybe there is a special place on the red bar that I have to push to get the info.

Thank you anyway! :unsure:

I'm using a Nuvi 680 and this is what mine looks like.

This is what it looks like on the map screen:

83oh6.png

This is what it does when you press the lips/megaphone button when there is more than 1 cache within the set proximity:

104qk2.png

This is what it does when you press the lips/megaphone button when there is only 1 cache within the set proximity or if you click the red bar at the top:

109vu2.png

Edited by Teddy2k

I am trying to use this macro for a colorado. It works great - sorts the caches into groups, and then uploads them to the colorado. I have several problems, though...

1) I get duplicate caches for any I haven't found. The regular ones come up with the correctly formatted name with all of the extra information in it, but the duplicate just has the GC Code as the name, and then just 1-2 little pieces of info, like the name of the cache, in the slightly longer description. No extra information in the "Description" screen. There was some discussion that this might have to do with child waypoints somewhere - dunno if it was this one or the more basic nuvi macro, but that isnt it. Child waypoints come up as separate waypoints, and I get duplicates of them as well. This does not occur when I include caches I have found with those specific ones - only ones I haven't found.

2) I am unable to get different categories to come up - does this work with the colorado? I just get the choice "Custom POI's".

3) I do not see the files with all of the little pictures of the different cache types - they did not show up in my GSAK folder or subfolders (POI_Loader). Where are they supposed to be so they will show up on the map?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

I have a nuvi 660 so I'm not familiar with the Colorado. But I have seen some of the things you're encountering... Might be the same issues.

For #1 - The Child Waypoint part sounds like the import screen for importing the PQ into GSAK is set wrong. There is a question box that asks how to treat "additional waypoints". This should be marked "as Child waypoint". Otherwise, they are treated as separate but equal waypoints and will be listed as additional caches.

I've seen the duplicate listings before but cannot remember at the moment what fixed that.

For #2 - What happens when you select "Cusom POIs"? Usually, this takes to another screen where the various categories are listed plus one that says "All Categories".

For #3 - did you run the SpoilerSync macro? That's what generates the pictures.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I have used this macro for a while now with no difficulties until today. Today, I encountered the dreaded POILoader error message "data error on line 1" for my Traditional entries.

First of all, I want to let you know I found a quick way to figure out the offending entry. Since it complained about my traditional entries, I renamed C:\gsak\POI_Loader\Default\Traditional.gpx to Traditional.xml. Next, I used Internet Explorer to open the XML file (this is a format it knows how to display). At the bottom of the browser page was an error message that called out the offending cache line.

With that knowledge, I was able to remove that entry manually from my GSAK database and then everything ran fine.

This was the offending cache entry. The cache name is "On the Line>>> ??Fair or Foul??<<<", which is translated into the following XML element:

<gpxx:StreetAddress>On the Line>>> ??Fair or Foul??<<< by The 'B' Team</gpxx:StreetAddress>

So the > and < symbols are not being escaped properly when they appear in a cache name (I'm running 5.6.2). For my workaround, I added a subroutine call to ConvertHTML after the ScrubSub call for the Name_Owner field. After looking at the macro, I think the "scrubbing" needs to be reworked and applied in to all data fields as it all ends up as XML in the GPX file anyway.

By the way, I must add my thanks for this wonderful macro. It is making my caching life so much easier!

I have used this macro for a while now with no difficulties until today. Today, I encountered the dreaded POILoader error message "data error on line 1" for my Traditional entries.

First of all, I want to let you know I found a quick way to figure out the offending entry. Since it complained about my traditional entries, I renamed C:\gsak\POI_Loader\Default\Traditional.gpx to Traditional.xml. Next, I used Internet Explorer to open the XML file (this is a format it knows how to display). At the bottom of the browser page was an error message that called out the offending cache line.

With that knowledge, I was able to remove that entry manually from my GSAK database and then everything ran fine.

This was the offending cache entry. The cache name is "On the Line>>> ??Fair or Foul??<<<", which is translated into the following XML element:

<gpxx:StreetAddress>On the Line>>> ??Fair or Foul??<<< by The 'B' Team</gpxx:StreetAddress>

So the > and < symbols are not being escaped properly when they appear in a cache name (I'm running 5.6.2). For my workaround, I added a subroutine call to ConvertHTML after the ScrubSub call for the Name_Owner field. After looking at the macro, I think the "scrubbing" needs to be reworked and applied in to all data fields as it all ends up as XML in the GPX file anyway.

By the way, I must add my thanks for this wonderful macro. It is making my caching life so much easier!

Thanks for pointing that out!! Fixed in v5.6.3

j

I noticed that the description for some caches would be colored blue while others would be normal text color. I believe the root cause of this is that the <font color=X> tags in the cacheinfo variable are not all being closed. The final one is (where the coords are set to orange). I added </font> at the end of the 3 other lines and that worked to get the description default text color.

(At first I hard coded the description to be white but when my garmin flipped to daytime mode the next day I realized why that wasn't the best plan. [:D] )

Hope that makes sense. I can post up the line of code (don't have it with me now) if you are interested/not sure exactly what I'm talking about.

I noticed that the description for some caches would be colored blue while others would be normal text color. I believe the root cause of this is that the <font color=X> tags in the cacheinfo variable are not all being closed. The final one is (where the coords are set to orange). I added </font> at the end of the 3 other lines and that worked to get the description default text color.

(At first I hard coded the description to be white but when my garmin flipped to daytime mode the next day I realized why that wasn't the best plan. [:blink:] )

Hope that makes sense. I can post up the line of code (don't have it with me now) if you are interested/not sure exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks for uncovering that. Corrected in v5.6.4

Does anyone have the noticed the same?

I have a 255W and I am using Jjreds macro which is superb, thanks btw JJred.

But I have a problem that I dont know if its because of the macro or the 255w itself.

When I use the proximity feature in areas where there are multiple caches/waypoints within the distance the GPS will beep alot more times than the number of caches/waypoints.

Sometimes it just doesnt stop until I am no longer inside the distance diameter.

I've checked the proximity settings on the unit and I have it set up for one single beep.

As I said I dont if this is a macro problem or the GPS thats why I am wondering if someone has noticed the same?

Many thanks to jjreds, Clyde, Kai Team, cron, and pilotsnipes for this absolutely incredible macro and all the work you all have put into it!! I've got this working beautifully with my Colorado 300 and my wife's Street Pilot c550.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

No I am not using the pictures feature.

I hope Jjreds can take a look at the macro and see if theres anything in it that causes the multi alert problem. :P

Cheers

There is no way that I am aware of to change the number of alerts via XML maybe a Garmin Developer can jump in here if they know a way. I have no control over how many times a unit responds to a POI or whether the red lips appear etc. FYI my 250W alerts multiple times when there are multiples in close proximity.

j

No I am not using the pictures feature.

I hope Jjreds can take a look at the macro and see if theres anything in it that causes the multi alert problem. :P

Cheers

There is no way that I am aware of to change the number of alerts via XML maybe a Garmin Developer can jump in here if they know a way. I have no control over how many times a unit responds to a POI or whether the red lips appear etc. FYI my 250W alerts multiple times when there are multiples in close proximity.

j

And that is fine if there are indeed several waypoints.

What I've noticed is that the the unit beeps more than the existing waypoints in the area.

BTW the macro doesnt work with the new Gsak 7.5.

When it is compiling it gives an error when performing the Event Tourguide.

The error says :

Error macro at line : 1053

Error => (Pos: 7) String value expected.

Macro will now abort.

The error occurs while generating the GPX files. I also had the macro abort with essentially the same error message. I tried two different databases as well as both Advanced mode and Basic mode. The SpoilerSync portion worked just fine.

This is what I got:

Error macro at line : 1049

$Temp =

Error => (Pos: 7) String type value expected.

Macro will now abort.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Using GSAK 7.5.0.159. Still receiving the same error although now it is always referencing line 1053. This line seems to be within the following section of the macro: #Deal with any child waypoints associated with this cache

Line 1053 says:

$Temp = Replace("@Address2","%c_lat=M,%c_lon=M",$Temp,True)

Since my error message also noted line 1049 one time, I suspect it has to do with the format of the statement rather than a data error.

Line 1049 says:

$Temp = Replace("@geofilejpg"," <link href="+Quote("file://$gOOFypATH/TourGuide_Tools/$Embedded_POIL_File")+"/>",$Temp,True)

Is this being addressed or should I try reverting back to the non-beta version of GSAK (a real pain since this is a total rewrite and incompatible).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Using GSAK 7.5.0.159. Still receiving the same error although now it is always referencing line 1053. This line seems to be within the following section of the macro: #Deal with any child waypoints associated with this cache

Line 1053 says:

$Temp = Replace("@Address2","%c_lat=M,%c_lon=M",$Temp,True)

Since my error message also noted line 1049 one time, I suspect it has to do with the format of the statement rather than a data error.

Line 1049 says:

$Temp = Replace("@geofilejpg"," <link href="+Quote("file://$gOOFypATH/TourGuide_Tools/$Embedded_POIL_File")+"/>",$Temp,True)

Is this being addressed or should I try reverting back to the non-beta version of GSAK (a real pain since this is a total rewrite and incompatible).

I have the same GSAK version, and the macro works without problems for both my Nuvi 760 and the Oregon.

I can't get it to generate valid GPX files so the nuvi isn't the issue. I tried memo to the offending line (added #) to have it bypass the statement. It went on to generate GPX files but POIL now says the GPX files are invalid (all of them). I never get them to the nuvi. It's still GSAK.

It seems to be associated with Child Waypoints in some manner. Are you not downloading Child Waypoints? If so, that may be it.

I can't get it to generate valid GPX files so the nuvi isn't the issue. I tried memo to the offending line (added #) to have it bypass the statement. It went on to generate GPX files but POIL now says the GPX files are invalid (all of them). I never get them to the nuvi. It's still GSAK.

It seems to be associated with Child Waypoints in some manner. Are you not downloading Child Waypoints? If so, that may be it.

I do download child waypoints, so I guess it must be something else that is different in our configs.

I do download child waypoints, so I guess it must be something else that is different in our configs.

Edit: Update 11:01. Just created a new database and reloaded the PQ to it without the "additional waypoints" and the macro ran just fine. Then I reloaded the PQ into the same new database with the "additional waypoints" as "Child waypoints" as normal and the macro crashed again at the same line. All other databases that still have child waypoints associated still crash. So, it seems, the bypass at the moment is to ignore ("exclude") additional waypoints. This means deleting old databases and recreating new ones. Also means losing any accumulated logs as well as all corrected coordinates and notes in the database.

Have now noticed that when the macro crashes, GSAK highlights the offending cache record. Opening the child waypoints for that cache and deleting those waypoints and then rerunning the macro causes it to crash at the NEXT cache with child waypoints. Am now deleting all child WPs and seeing if that works.

Rolled back to 5.5.1 version of the macro - same issue - halts at line 1049.

Deleted all child waypoints manually (thank goodness GSAK "bolds" the waypoint name) and macro ran all the way through AND the POIL worked with no "invalid".

Now will only process new PQ updates with "exclude" for child waypoints until I hear more.

upgrade to v5.6.5 to resolve the issue with child waypoints when using GSAK beta 7.5

j

Just upgraded to v5.6.5 and tested against a small database with 3 child waypoints. Still get an error but it's a bit different. Now (from the error log) it says:

Error in Macro at line: 1044

$child_lat=

Error=> (Pos: 11) String type value expected