Advanced Nuvi Macro

[

After reinstalling SSMacro 2.0, the small database works OK with spoiler downloads, except for the caches with nordic characters, but I understand jjreds is working on that now. For the large database, the still stops at "Preparing Spoiler Pictures-...", so I have not been able to test if the spoilers are downloded again, but I guess it's OK after reinstalling the SSMacro.

Please upgrade to Macver 5.3.1 and SSMacro 2.1 for Nordic character support and progress msg for large database.

The Nordic characters looks to be OK. When running macro 5.3.1 with SSMacro 2.1, this is what happens on my 7000+ cache datebase with 10000 jpegs: "Preparing Spoiler Sync.." without progress msg for about 5 minutes, then it stops at #409 for a few minutes, before the progress msg # starts counting about 2 a second. After some time, I noticed that it goes slower and slower, and after 4 hours the progress # is at 5000. CPU usage is constantly 100%.

As I have to go for a business trip, I also have to stop the macro. I will run it again when I am back home wednesday/thursday.

On my ~1,000 cache test database I also see a decrease in speed around the #500 mark but still completes the whole job within a couple of minutes. There are a couple of other ways to manage this job but requires rewriting some code. What is the filesize of your Spoiler_Data.txt ?

Is there any way to have the poi processing pay attention to a filter? There are times I only want a portion of the database.

Jim

Pilotsnipes has a very nice macro that will create GPX files based on the active filter here. This has been asked before and may be considered in a future release.

Is it possible to eliminate the dnf's from the logs. Sometimes when you run across a difficult cache the last 10 logs could be unhelpful dnf's. Just an idea.

Thanks,

remmec

Will consider your request for inclusion in a future release. Thanks for the suggestion.

For spoiler pic processing on large databases: pls upgrade both macros and report to the forum if the speed is better/worse. Thanks

5.4 Rewrote spoiler logic for better performance when using large databases with SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk (Requires ver. 2.2 or later)

2.2 Improvements for large databases.

Ran the updates today for my nuvi 660. SS processes quickly. It has processed rather quickly anyway since the last upgrade. However, this time there were a few new pictures added and they seemed to tranfer more quickly than before. Total pictures ~1000.

The longest element of the whole process now seems to be the transfer of the GPX file to the nuvi. Second is the generation of those GPX files.

Now, if only I can identify which of the pictures are related to caches I've found and no longer need. Guess I could delete all pictures and let SS reload what remains. Another way?? Used to be I could ID those that SS didn't regenerate with a new .loc file. Now, since only the new ones are downloaded (faster process!!!), the dates modified of the .jpg files aren't changed.

On my ~1,000 cache test database I also see a decrease in speed around the #500 mark but still completes the whole job within a couple of minutes. There are a couple of other ways to manage this job but requires rewriting some code. What is the filesize of your Spoiler_Data.txt ?

574 kB

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

After upgrading to Macver 5.4 an SSMac 2.2, I have been running the macro 3 times on my large db with 10339 jpeg's. The last time, there was only 1 new cache added. Here is what happens with time (minutes and seconds), from 00:00, to finnish:

Preparing Spoiler Pictures 03:00

Exporting db.loc: only a second or two.

Running SSMacro 04:00

Retrieving SS filenames 07:00

Preparing Spoiler Pictures, stops at #316 until 09:30

Preparing Spoiler Pictures finnished: 12:00

Resizing Spoiler Pictures for Nuvi 7xx 17:15

Creating TourGuides finnished at 27:00

A big difference, from several hours to 27 minutes :laughing:

One question: Are the macro resizing the Spoiler Pics that has been downloaded previously ?.

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

After upgrading to Macver 5.4 an SSMac 2.2, I have been running the macro 3 times on my large db with 10339 jpeg's. The last time, there was only 1 new cache added. Here is what happens with time (minutes and seconds), from 00:00, to finnish:

A big difference, from several hours to 27 minutes :laughing:

One question: Are the macro resizing the Spoiler Pics that has been downloaded previously ?.

Yes it is done as a batch process on the entire folder.

For spoiler pic processing on large databases: pls upgrade both macros and report to the forum if the speed is better/worse. Thanks

5.4 Rewrote spoiler logic for better performance when using large databases with SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk (Requires ver. 2.2 or later)

Ran the updates today for my nuvi 660. SS processes quickly. It has processed rather quickly anyway since the last upgrade. However, this time there were a few new pictures added and they seemed to tranfer more quickly than before. Total pictures ~1000.

The longest element of the whole process now seems to be the transfer of the GPX file to the nuvi. Second is the generation of those GPX files.

Now, if only I can identify which of the pictures are related to caches I've found and no longer need. Guess I could delete all pictures and let SS reload what remains. Another way?? Used to be I could ID those that SS didn't regenerate with a new .loc file. Now, since only the new ones are downloaded (faster process!!!), the dates modified of the .jpg files aren't changed.

I'll add a routine to find those and clean them up.

What are you selecting for "Alert Type?"

What are the GC codes for the events causing the dreaded invalid msg?

Alert Type is "Tourguide (radius)" and the three events are:

GC1EY1Q, GC190WZ, and GC1D47F

Mike

those worked ok w/ macver 5.2.5 and POIL 2.5.2.0

pls post a screenshot using macver 4.6

thks

Found out it is possible to get the dreaded invalid by using too large a number for alert distance! Not sure how big is too big, but 50,000 feet is too big!!

Thanks, man!

Found out it is possible to get the dreaded invalid by using too large a number for alert distance! Not sure how big is too big, but 50,000 feet is too big!!

Thanks, man!

ROFL Isn't that like 10 miles ? Who would want their alert to be 10 miles and why ?! lol

If you're driving at 60 mph, that would only give you 10 minutes notice.

Thanks, man!

ROFL Isn't that like 10 miles ? Who would want their alert to be 10 miles and why ?! lol

I'm going to an Event Cache in about a week and wanted to show off my new Nuvi 350. All caches within the alert distance will show up on the map, and I wanted it to look just like the map on gc.com.

Well, guess I can just zoom it in.....

NOW....

Finally got a big bunch of caches in the Nuvi, but no pictures for some reason. Re-ran the macro, start up SS, and I get a window with "Preparing Spoiler Picture #792438," it's been running about an hour or so, and is counting VERY fast, over 200/sec. I don't think there's that many pictures in my 750 caches!! What the heck is going on??

Guess I'll clear out the database and try again......

Mike

O-

Thanks, man!

I'm going to an Event Cache in about a week and wanted to show off my new Nuvi 350. All caches within the alert distance will show up on the map, and I wanted it to look just like the map on gc.com.

Well, guess I can just zoom it in.....

NOW....

Finally got a big bunch of caches in the Nuvi, but no pictures for some reason. Re-ran the macro, start up SS, and I get a window with "Preparing Spoiler Picture #792438," it's been running about an hour or so, and is counting VERY fast, over 200/sec. I don't think there's that many pictures in my 750 caches!! What the heck is going on??

Guess I'll clear out the database and try again......

Mike

O-

Sorry, found that bug and fixed it. Please upgrade the SSMacro to fix.

Edited by jjreds

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

A big difference, from several hours to 27 minutes :unsure:

Macver 5.4.1 only resizes if SSMac has been rerun.

Please upgrade GPX mac and SS mac to enable removal of jpegs for found caches.

I'm having issues with PARKING AREA and TRAIL HEAD icons failing to display properly. They're back to displaying the "parent" icon instead of the icon for the child. Three such (one of each type) are:

TRAIL HEAD (07KBJ8) child of GCKBJ8

and

PARKING AREA (01KBJ8) child of GCKBJ8

and

PARKING AREA (0210NG7) child of GC10NG7

The icons for both are present.

TIA!

Steve

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

A big difference, from several hours to 27 minutes :unsure:

Upgraded, and runned the Macro and SSMac twice, and the whole sequence now takes 45 minutes compared to 27 minutes before. Only 5 new caches was added since yesterday, but 584 jpegs was downloaded.

I'm having issues with PARKING AREA and TRAIL HEAD icons failing to display properly. They're back to displaying the "parent" icon instead of the icon for the child. Three such (one of each type) are:

TRAIL HEAD (07KBJ8) child of GCKBJ8

and

PARKING AREA (01KBJ8) child of GCKBJ8

and

PARKING AREA (0210NG7) child of GC10NG7

The icons for both are present.

TIA!

Steve

Fixed in ver 5.4.3

574 kB

ok - pls upgrade

A big difference, from several hours to 27 minutes ;)

Upgraded, and runned the Macro and SSMac twice, and the whole sequence now takes 45 minutes compared to 27 minutes before. Only 5 new caches was added since yesterday, but 584 jpegs was downloaded.

Yes I fixed several issues - didn't bother to document all of them, given the size of your database hopefully you can live with this. I'm not in the mood to re-engineer this process again anytime soon. Actually I am adding some logic to check that the caches still exist in the database for previously downloaded spoilers. (In the event that for whatever reason 1 or more caches are deleted) edit: Done.

Edited by jjreds

Yes I fixed several issues - didn't bother to document all of them, given the size of your database hopefully you can live with this. I'm not in the mood to re-engineer this process again anytime soon. Actually I am adding some logic to check that the caches still exist in the database for previously downloaded spoilers. (In the event that for whatever reason 1 or more caches are deleted) edit: Done.

Just a short comment: It looks like the jpeg's that are downloaded, also when no changes has been done to the db, is all from caches that I have found (checked as found in GSAK)

Just a short comment: It looks like the jpeg's that are downloaded, also when no changes has been done to the db, is all from caches that I have found (checked as found in GSAK)

I just tested the found logic and it deletes spoilers for found caches if they exist and does not reload them (in my test data) w/ macver 5.4.4 and SSmac 2.4 Pls make sure you are running the latest versions. If you can duplicate with a small set of test data please send it to me. Thanks.

What are you selecting for "Alert Type?"

What are the GC codes for the events causing the dreaded invalid msg?

Alert Type is "Tourguide (radius)" and the three events are:

GC1EY1Q, GC190WZ, and GC1D47F

Mike

those worked ok w/ macver 5.2.5 and POIL 2.5.2.0

pls post a screenshot using macver 4.6

thks

Thanks, man!

I laughed my butt off when I first read this!! Then I decided to check it out. I just ran the macro with 100,000,000 meters which is around 62,000 miles and POI Loader ran with no problems. The macro isn't doing any type checking so be sure you use 0 and not o. Something else is causing the dreaded invalid?

I just tested the found logic and it deletes spoilers for found caches if they exist and does not reload them (in my test data) w/ macver 5.4.4 and SSmac 2.4 Pls make sure you are running the latest versions. If you can duplicate with a small set of test data please send it to me. Thanks.

Upgrading to SSmac 2.5 should solve the problem.

It works perfect now :D Thanks !

I have a Nuvi 770 and it runs very nicely (as far as I can judge), but can anyone tell me - how many caches can you store this way at one time on the nuvi 770?

It is limited only by the amount of free available memory on/in (SD card) with your nuvi. On my 760, I have installed a 4g SD card. On it, I have some 124k POI (4K of which are caches w/ 5 logs - the rest are locations of: Home Depot, Lowes, Dunkin Donuts, Bank of America ATMs, Quiznos, All the 144mhz, 440mhz, 29mhz and 50mhz ham radio repeaters in the entire USA, etc - you get the idea) Also on the card, I have the 2009 maps for the US, a couple dozen or so photos, and about 300 MP3 music files.

Does that help??

Steve

I have a Nuvi 770 and it runs very nicely (as far as I can judge), but can anyone tell me - how many caches can you store this way at one time on the nuvi 770?

It is limited only by the amount of free available memory on/in (SD card) with your nuvi. On my 760, I have installed a 4g SD card. On it, I have some 124k POI (4K of which are caches w/ 5 logs - the rest are locations of: Home Depot, Lowes, Dunkin Donuts, Bank of America ATMs, Quiznos, All the 144mhz, 440mhz, 29mhz and 50mhz ham radio repeaters in the entire USA, etc - you get the idea) Also on the card, I have the 2009 maps for the US, a couple dozen or so photos, and about 300 MP3 music files.

Does that help??

Steve

Yes thanks - so in principle you can store quite a few caches as POI assuming that you don't fill your nuvi with all sorts of other stuf!

Does that help??

Steve

Yes thanks - so in principle you can store quite a few caches as POI assuming that you don't fill your nuvi with all sorts of other stuf!

BINGO! The side effect of storing such a large amount of data is that it does tend to slow down the unit when selecting a category of POIs to display. Not a huge amount, but it is noticeable. Also, the time to load PQs, run the macro and time to transfer to the GPS increase proportionately.

Enjoy!

Thanks, man!

I laughed my butt off when I first read this!! Then I decided to check it out. I just ran the macro with 100,000,000 meters which is around 62,000 miles and POI Loader ran with no problems. The macro isn't doing any type checking so be sure you use 0 and not o. Something else is causing the dreaded invalid?

Yeah, loading up some caches and got the dreaded invalid again, with just 10,000 feet distance. Ran POI loader again, using 5K for all folders, no help. Ran the macro again with 5K, then POIL with 5K, AND IT WORKED! Changed nothing else!

Just a 500 cache database, the caches are pretty tightly placed, the farthest is 42 miles from the center. It seems like there is a "limit" of caches, or something. But that doesn't jive with your expirement, unless you had just a few caches in it.

All I know for sure is large numbers for "Alert Distance" CAN cause problems with POIL! I just can't figure out how or why.....

Thanks!

Thanks, man!

Yeah, loading up some caches and got the dreaded invalid again, with just 10,000 feet distance. Ran POI loader again, using 5K for all folders, no help. Ran the macro again with 5K, then POIL with 5K, AND IT WORKED! Changed nothing else!

Just a 500 cache database, the caches are pretty tightly placed, the farthest is 42 miles from the center. It seems like there is a "limit" of caches, or something. But that doesn't jive with your expirement, unless you had just a few caches in it.

All I know for sure is large numbers for "Alert Distance" CAN cause problems with POIL! I just can't figure out how or why.....

Thanks!

This macro sets the distance in the XML output. POIL should always be run in express mode when using this macro unless you choose "No Alerts" as the alert type. You are trying to do it both ways there may be a conflict of some sort.

It works perfect now :rolleyes: Thanks !

Since I upgraded to SSmac 2.5 one week ago, I have added more than 20 new caches to my large db, but the last few days, I started to wonder if non of the new caches includes spoiler or other pictures. The SpoilerSync does not seem to check for spoilers in new caches added, and shows 100% immediately. I checked one of the new caches, that includes 2 pictures, and I do not find the GC# as jpg files, and it is not listed in the "no spoilers found.txt" either.

This macro sets the distance in the XML output. POIL should always be run in express mode when using this macro unless you choose "No Alerts" as the alert type. You are trying to do it both ways there may be a conflict of some sort.

Wow, I'm learning a lot here!

Didn't know about express mode, couldn't use that with Pilotsnipes' macro, hated doing all that clicking!

Had been wondering for a while about putting the poi files on the SD card, finally learned to create garmin/poi on the sd card and put it there.

STILL was getting dreaded invalid, even with express mode. But using the SD card seems to have fixed that, at least the one run I did. Don't know why the SD card would work differently.....

NOW I"m ready to go caching, thaks a lot, man!!

Didn't know about express mode, couldn't use that with Pilotsnipes' macro, hated doing all that clicking!

Had been wondering for a while about putting the poi files on the SD card, finally learned to create garmin/poi on the sd card and put it there.

STILL was getting dreaded invalid, even with express mode. But using the SD card seems to have fixed that, at least the one run I did. Don't know why the SD card would work differently.....

It works perfect now :rolleyes: Thanks !

Since I upgraded to SSmac 2.5 one week ago, I have added more than 20 new caches to my large db, but the last few days, I started to wonder if non of the new caches includes spoiler or other pictures. The SpoilerSync does not seem to check for spoilers in new caches added, and shows 100% immediately. I checked one of the new caches, that includes 2 pictures, and I do not find the GC# as jpg files, and it is not listed in the "no spoilers found.txt" either.

First try unselect the "Check user flag" option on the setup screen if you have it checked.

Or select the user flag for new caches in GSAK before running the macro and select "Check for new spoilers" and "Check user flag".

First try unselect the "Check user flag" option on the setup screen if you have it checked.

Or select the user flag for new caches in GSAK before running the macro and select "Check for new spoilers" and "Check user flag".

Thanks, unselecting the "Check user flag" did the job. :)

Garmin has finally released a new SW (4.10) for the Nuvi 760, that has cured the problem that the unit locks up when it is turned on when within the alert distance set in this great macro. I have just been out and tested the Nuvi close to 3 different caches, and it works just fine.

Revision Report:

Changes made from version 3.10 to 4.10:

Improvement in MAD Maps performance.

Added Australian traffic support.

Corrected reboot issue while installing language guide at power up.

Corrected shutdown issue associated with an active proximity alert or tour guide alert.

Support for more GPI files.

Fixed an error in MSN news reports where a report could be lost.

Edited by Catch

rrrr....stupid DREADED INVALID!

I just can't figure this out! I'll change just one thing, like putting the .poi on the sd card, and it works, so I think that's the problem. But do it the same way next time, and it pops up again!!

Does anyone else have the dreaded invalid come up occasionally?

Mike

No invalids here. but now a new problem (or maybe I'm just forgetting something). Just transferred to my laptop for vacation and now I can't get SS to download any pictures at all. Even tried deleting all folders under POI_Loader and running it against a new database. It does run, creating a "no spoilers found" entry for every waypoint. Every once in a while, it will download a couple (usually at the front of the file) and then nothing. Tried rebooting. Also, double checked that I had the current versions of both macros. GSAk version is 7.2.3.35. IE 7, XP (patch 3).

Ok. Now I know something is going on.... I just ran two databases (the same original two) and both are running and downloading files. Odd too is that the first one I ran with the User Flag checked and the other without. the only thing different was that I ran the generate GPX files for one of them. Now it's working????? Sunspots?????