Advanced Nuvi Macro

Beta test. All is working well on the 350 nuvi

Hey, using 350 myself, at the top of each cache I get the "plain" info with no colors, then the same thing again WITH colors. I believe the "plain" part is for nuvis that have the "More" button. 350's do not.

I think pilotsnipes' macro takes this part out for the 3xx. Is this macro supposed to do that, too?

No big deal, I guess...........

Thanks everyone, this is an awesome deal!!

Mike

O-

Now when I look at the cache screen it shows:

Alert Information:

Distance: None

Speed: None

I have a Nuvi 360 and I get this too on some (but not all) caches.

Hey, using 350 myself, at the top of each cache I get the "plain" info with no colors, then the same thing again WITH colors. I believe the "plain" part is for nuvis that have the "More" button. 350's do not.

I think pilotsnipes' macro takes this part out for the 3xx. Is this macro supposed to do that, too?

Mike

O-

I also get the non-colored and then colored info on my Nuvi 360.

Hi,

I've been using your macro for some time on my Nuvi 760.

I've upgraded to the lastest version 5.2 today.

Now when I look at the cache screen it shows:

Alert Information:

Distance: None

Speed: None

I've been running the macro in advanced mode with Alert Type? No Alert.

I noticed if I turn on settings for Tourguide Proximity alerts for the caches, they will display properly with the green play button (and not the 3 lines of text). But ONLY if I choose them from the submenus (ie Earth, Multi, Trad) that are labelled Tourguides. If I choose them from All Categories or say a Traditional Unknown, they also display the same problem with Alert Information:, Distance, etc at the top of each splash screen.

It seems like if the .gpx file is labelled a TourGuide it displays properly. If it's labelled like Traditional Unknown.gpx, then it throws in the 3 lines of text above.

I reverted back to the 4.8.2 macro, and it's working fine. Something change in the 5 macro series? Did you add some TourGuide reference to those screens?

Thanks

348.jpg

353.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed in ver 5.2.1

Could someone please explain how to use the spoiler sync better - my understanding is there are 2 parts - 1 is a gsak macro and the other is something to be run on a gpx file...

Thanks - voyageurs60 (Dan)

The macro handles all of the files automatically. Please follow the instructions here.

Ok - another couple of questions...

1) Is there a way on the NUVI 360 with this macro to have all the close caches displayed on the map...

I think presently it will only show 1 cache at a time...

2) I see that you should be able to change the alert tone to something custom... I cannot find the directions of how to do this...

voyageurs60 (Dan)

1) Garmin controls what displays and when. On my Nuvi all caches within the TourGuide radius are shown when in 3D mode but in map view they only show when zoomed to 300'? or greater.

2) To use your own TourGuide alert tone check "Use my alert?" on the advanced option form. You can add 3 custom files by replacing TourGuideLoud.mp3/.wav,TourGuideMedium.mp3/.wav and TourGuideSoft.mp3/.wav . The 200-Series Nuvis use the .wav file, all others use .mp3. If the sound file is not found with the correct name it will use the default even if the option is checked.

jjreds

Looking through your macro, I don't see how you deal with the "X" or "I" types of caches (Maze or Wherigo).

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Types are looked up using the function CacheType(sCacheLetter) : string which returns the name when handed the 1 character cache type. However, no custom symbol was being displayed. The macro (ver 5.2.2 and above) is now using the reference point symbol for X and I until someone creates Garmin transparent symbols.

Mike

O-

300 Series users please upgrade to Ver 5.2.3 and let me know if this is better or worse. Thanks.

jjreds

Looking through your macro, I don't see how you deal with the "X" or "I" types of caches (Maze or Wherigo).

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Types are looked up using the function CacheType(sCacheLetter) : string which returns the name when handed the 1 character cache type. However, no custom symbol was being displayed. The macro (ver 5.2.2 and above) is now using the reference point symbol for X and I until someone creates Garmin transparent symbols.

I think I can volunteer to generate these. I can't remember, though, if they are 15x15 or 16x16

300 Series users please upgrade to Ver 5.2.3 and let me know if this is better or worse. Thanks.

Wow, that wasn't much time off!! :anicute:

1. Well, first I tried the "update" button in the macro. I'm new to this, so I've never used it before. Couldn't get it to work, just hung my computer, had to 3-finger salute to close out the program.

So, downloaded and installed, worked that time.

2. Then, poiloader didn't like the Multi and Trad tourguides. Said invalid data format on first line, I think. Here's the first few lines from the Trad: (Will this display? Hope so!)

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='Windows-1252' standalone='no' ?>

<gpx xmlns='http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1' xmlns:gpxx = 'http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3' creator='GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk ver. 5.2.3' version='1.1' xmlns:xsi = 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:schemaLocation='http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3 http://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExten...v3.xsd'>

<metadata>

<desc>GPX output for Garmin POI Loader</desc>

<link href='http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download'>

<text>GSAK GPX Macro</text>

3. Check some of the other files on the Nuvi, and they still have "Contact:" at the beginning. Is that firmwae stuff? Also several blank lines, maybe takng the same space as the plaincache stuff did.

But, hey, you're getting much closer!

ALSO, Found and unavailable work different on proximity, right? They all have the extra text at the top, "Proximity alarm, distance, speed." And it's BIG text, takes up a lot of space. But maybe some people want this?

Wow, this Nuvi is awesome, and you and the other guys make it TEN TIMES BETTER!! Thanks so much!!

Mike

O-

(edit: woops, I see you've answered the "line 1" thing already, I'll look on this end....)

Edited by MMarshall

jjreds

Am I missing something?

Thank you

I think I can volunteer to generate these. I can't remember, though, if they are 15x15 or 16x16

16x16 is the std size 22x22 is the large size

Thks!

Edited by jjreds

Wow, that wasn't much time off!! :D

1. Well, first I tried the "update" button in the macro. I'm new to this, so I've never used it before. Couldn't get it to work, just hung my computer, had to 3-finger salute to close out the program.

So, downloaded and installed, worked that time.

Hi Mike~ Yes the only way to get to ver 5.2.3 is through the beta test page by clicking the link here in the forum.

That is the version you're using?

2. Then, poiloader didn't like the Multi and Trad tourguides. Said invalid data format on first line, I think.

That gpx header is the same for every file - it must be something else - you may have to send me your data - I can't break it here [yet]

3. Check some of the other files on the Nuvi, and they still have "Contact:" at the beginning. Is that firmwae stuff? Also several blank lines, maybe takng the same space as the plaincache stuff did.

The 300 series is an oddball compared to the rest and has some special formatting requirements, I don't have one so I've never seen "Contact:" before - does that show up that way using mac ver 4.6??

ALSO, Found and unavailable work different on proximity, right? They all have the extra text at the top, "Proximity alarm, distance, speed." And it's BIG text, takes up a lot of space. But maybe some people want this?

Please check and make sure you are running ver 5.2.3 this info should NOT be there. Found and unavailable will not trigger any alerts.

Thanks for your help

Jim

OK, just tell me where to send them.

I found the 32x32 under gsak\images (actually, Wherigo is 32x33) under the names cacheI.gif and cachX.gif. Do you need them as .bmp or any other format.

Glad to find somewhere I can actually help.

You're not done yet :D

They need a magenta background hex #FF00FF which Garmin GPSr's understand to be transparent. The format is .bmp

The standard size is 16x16.

After you finish rename and replace one of the bitmaps created by the macro with your newly created one, then run POIL and check on your GPS'r to be sure it displays ok with transparency correctly.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jjreds

1 or two challenges, here.

First, I don't have POIL because I don't have a Garmin (well, I have an Etrex Legend, but your macro does not apply to that). I have been looking at your code for inspiration for my Mio (just about there, too, although I feel terrible cutting out all the great features you have, like spoilers, and detailed cache info that MioMap won't support, but I might find with other programs).

So I will not be able to test out the icons for you. Also, if you can tell me the required formats, that will help. It looks like the icons included with your macro are 16x16, 8 bit depth, with a magenta background. What bit depth do you need for the 24x24 and 32x32?

I still have the problem that SpoilerSync takes very long time, and from what I can see, it is still downloading almost all spoilers every time I run the macro with SpoilerSync checked.

I can see that these files are generated, "no spoiler found.txt", "spoiler.txt" and "Description List.txt".

I can also see that "no spoiler found.txt" is deleted when the SpoilerSync program is started, "spoilers.txt" is updated when "Create GPX Files" is selected, and "Description List.txt" is updated when the macro starts to resize the spoiler pictures.

Is the SpoilerSync ment to use the "no spoilers found.txt" and "spoilers.txt" in a way that only spoilers from new caches added, are downloaded ?

I'm seeing the same thing...and I think yes, it should not be rechecking if the recheck flag is not set.....not my program :D

I have now tested alot, together with Keith, the developer of Spoiler Sync, and from what I can see now, the problem is related to the renaming of the jpg's, that takes place when GPX files are created when using the macro. An example is, when GC1F7ZY - SPOILER.jpg is renamed GC1F7ZY.0.jpg

When running Spoiler Sync alone, when the jpg file names are not changed, everything works as it should. I have a small test database with only 9 caches, where it is easy to see what happens. I can send it to you by e-mail if you need it for test.

My SpoilerSync also takes a long time (20-some minutes - 1100 pictures/5000 caches) and, yes, it seems that everything is downloaded even if I already have that file. I see everything you quote in your 8/13 post. My guess has been that SS looks at the target folder and determines if that filename already exists. If yes, it skips downloading. If no, it downloads it. Thus, since the export portion of the macro renames the pictures, then SS never sees the original filename again. Thus it downloads it again. Then, of course, the export renames it again to the one already in existance. This is regardless of the status of the recheck flag.

This is an amazing macro set and, given the amount of data it's processing, is expected to take some time.

I still have the problem that SpoilerSync takes very long time, and from what I can see, it is still downloading almost all spoilers every time I run the macro with SpoilerSync checked.

I can see that these files are generated, "no spoiler found.txt", "spoiler.txt" and "Description List.txt".

I can also see that "no spoiler found.txt" is deleted when the SpoilerSync program is started, "spoilers.txt" is updated when "Create GPX Files" is selected, and "Description List.txt" is updated when the macro starts to resize the spoiler pictures.

Is the SpoilerSync ment to use the "no spoilers found.txt" and "spoilers.txt" in a way that only spoilers from new caches added, are downloaded ?

I'm seeing the same thing...and I think yes, it should not be rechecking if the recheck flag is not set.....not my program :D

I have now tested alot, together with Keith, the developer of Spoiler Sync, and from what I can see now, the problem is related to the renaming of the jpg's, that takes place when GPX files are created when using the macro. An example is, when GC1F7ZY - SPOILER.jpg is renamed GC1F7ZY.0.jpg

When running Spoiler Sync alone, when the jpg file names are not changed, everything works as it should. I have a small test database with only 9 caches, where it is easy to see what happens. I can send it to you by e-mail if you need it for test.

ask if he can add an option to use the summary files - all of the original names are stored there

POIL will not accept the names (the dreaded invalid file msg) with special characters etc that is why the macro must rename them. I don't see any way around that.

1 or two challenges, here.

First, I don't have POIL because I don't have a Garmin (well, I have an Etrex Legend, but your macro does not apply to that). I have been looking at your code for inspiration for my Mio (just about there, too, although I feel terrible cutting out all the great features you have, like spoilers, and detailed cache info that MioMap won't support, but I might find with other programs).

So I will not be able to test out the icons for you. Also, if you can tell me the required formats, that will help. It looks like the icons included with your macro are 16x16, 8 bit depth, with a magenta background. What bit depth do you need for the 24x24 and 32x32?

Thank you for your work. The macro has been updated w/ the new symbols.

[That gpx header is the same for every file - it must be something else - you may have to send me your data - I can't break it here [yet]

Please check and make sure you are running ver 5.2.3 this info should NOT be there. Found and unavailable will not trigger any alerts.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Well, this makes no sense to me, but....

"Event Tourguide" was coming up invalid. Great, only 3 caches there! Remove all the rest from gsak, to speed things up, and then it works!!

I ran through this several times, because I couldn't believe it, but it seems to go every time. If it's just the 3 event caches in gsak and nothing else, they go all the way into the nuvi. If I have 23 multi caches there, then the event tourguide comes up invalid!!

Access the "invalid" event tourguide here:

http://marshallmd.tripod.com/Event_TourGuide.gpx

And here is a screenshot of a cache page from the nuvi, and YES, this is 5.2.3!!

149.jpg

Also, in the shot you can see "Contact:" That is apparently firmware, it shows up with pilotsnipes macro, too. BUT, I would kinda like to remove the blank lines from below it, if possible!!

Let me know what else I can do to help!!

Mike

O-

And here is a screenshot of a cache page from the nuvi, and YES, this is 5.2.3!!

149.jpg

Also, in the shot you can see "Contact:" That is apparently firmware, it shows up with pilotsnipes macro, too. BUT, I would kinda like to remove the blank lines from below it, if possible!!

Let me know what else I can do to help!!

Mike

O-

What are you selecting for "Alert Type?"

What are the GC codes for the events causing the dreaded invalid msg?

Edited by jjreds

jjreds

I think I found a small bug. It looks like in

Create_GPX_Files_for_Database

for child caches you have

$Temp = Replace("@d_Latitude",$d_Latitude,$GPX_Waypoint,True)

$Temp = Replace("@d_Longitude",$d_Longitude,$Temp,True)

which puts the children at the same location as the parent.

I think you meant to use $d_cLat and $d_cLon for the child coordinates.

Also, I really like the new way you deal with the GPX file format. Very nice. A adopted the same method for kml files.

Thanks for the great work.

jjreds

I think I found a small bug. It looks like in

Create_GPX_Files_for_Database

for child caches you have

$Temp = Replace("@d_Latitude",$d_Latitude,$GPX_Waypoint,True)

$Temp = Replace("@d_Longitude",$d_Longitude,$Temp,True)

which puts the children at the same location as the parent.

I think you meant to use $d_cLat and $d_cLon for the child coordinates.

Also, I really like the new way you deal with the GPX file format. Very nice. A adopted the same method for kml files.

Thanks for the great work.

oops - fixed

Thanks for pointing that out!!

What are you selecting for "Alert Type?"

What are the GC codes for the events causing the dreaded invalid msg?

Alert Type is "Tourguide (radius)" and the three events are:

GC1EY1Q, GC190WZ, and GC1D47F

Mike

those worked ok w/ macver 5.2.5 and POIL 2.5.2.0

pls post a screenshot using macver 4.6

thks

ask if he can add an option to use the summary files - all of the original names are stored there

POIL will not accept the names (the dreaded invalid file msg) with special characters etc that is why the macro must rename them. I don't see any way around that.

Here is Keiths answer to your request:

The summary file only contains the waypoints without spoilers.

I suggest that the script is modified to copy the spoilers to another folder before renaming them.

Spoiler Sync can continue to work on the original folder, with the script able to do what it likes in the copy folder.

Regards

Keith

Here is Keiths answer to your request:

The summary file only contains the waypoints without spoilers.

I suggest that the script is modified to copy the spoilers to another folder before renaming them.

Spoiler Sync can continue to work on the original folder, with the script able to do what it likes in the copy folder.

Regards

Keith

I'll add some logic to handle it. I'm not going to create copies....

I'm still getting my own caches showing up when I load the TourGuide. Checking or unchecking the Include Owned Caches box seems to make no difference. Am I overlooking something?

I guess you have entered your Owner ID, 1723058, in the "Owned by (ID)" field ?

I'm still getting my own caches showing up when I load the TourGuide. Checking or unchecking the Include Owned Caches box seems to make no difference. Am I overlooking something?

Err.. no, I was entering my name there.. glad I asked!

Macver 5.3 Now skipping previously loaded spoilers when using SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk (Requires ver. 2.0 or later) Rerun the SpoilerSync macro for your databases to enable this feature.

I have been testing 5.3 many times, on databases with different number of caches. Not all previously loaded spoilers are skipped, but maybe not as many as before.

A new problem, is that when I run the macro on my database with 7300 caches, the Macro status window stays for hours at "Preparing Spoiler Pictures - Please Wait"..

Macver 5.3 Now skipping previously loaded spoilers when using SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk (Requires ver. 2.0 or later) Rerun the SpoilerSync macro for your databases to enable this feature.

I have been testing 5.3 many times, on databases with different number of caches. Not all previously loaded spoilers are skipped, but maybe not as many as before.

A new problem, is that when I run the macro on my database with 7300 caches, the Macro status window stays for hours at "Preparing Spoiler Pictures - Please Wait"..

Try a small database with a clean (empty) export folder - should be working ok. Witb your mega dataset is it possible there have been new pictures uploaded tp GC.com during/since your last run?

I will add a progress counter to the message - you likely have many thousands of jpegs for such a large database.

When the status window stays for hours is the disk drive extremely busy?

How do you find your Owner ID ?

Edited by Howlingmoon

Look here.

Try a small database with a clean (empty) export folder - should be working ok. Witb your mega dataset is it possible there have been new pictures uploaded tp GC.com during/since your last run?

I will add a progress counter to the message - you likely have many thousands of jpegs for such a large database.

I have tested both small and large databases, all with a clean export folder, and it is the same with regards to not skipping previously loaded spoilers. If I run the macro several times, on the same database, without creating GPX files in the meantime, the SS works as it should, and takes a second or two on a 100 caches database. But, as soon as GPX files are created, and I run the macro and SS again, most, but not all spoilers are downloaded again.

I do not make any changes to the databases when testing, and "Check for new spoilers on previously processed" are unchecked.

A counter will be useful, and yes, my large Nordic database has 10000 jpegs.

I am not sure if the diskdrive is busy (silent installation), but CPU usage is 100%

Sure sounds like SS is checking the download folder for "same name". If the macro hasn't renamed them yet (i.e. before generating the GPX files) then it finds them and skips them. But if they have been renamed, then the original name is gone and SS thinks it's a new file and downloads it again. SS doesn't seem to check any file in the folder (like the spoilers.txt file)

A couple of my downloaded jpgs don't get renamed (or used) because the title includes odd items (like coordinates!!).

Your mega database sure has a high jpg to cache ratio! Mine is 1000 pictures covering 5000 caches!

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Sure sounds like SS is checking the download folder for "same name". If the macro hasn't renamed them yet (i.e. before generating the GPX files) then it finds them and skips them. But if they have been renamed, then the original name is gone and SS thinks it's a new file and downloads it again. SS doesn't seem to check any file in the folder (like the spoilers.txt file)

A couple of my downloaded jpgs don't get renamed (or used) because the title includes odd items (like coordinates!!).

Your mega database sure has a high jpg to cache ratio! Mine is 1000 pictures covering 5000 caches!

I thought that the name issue was fixed in Macver 5.3:

jjreds: Macver 5.3 Now skipping previously loaded spoilers when using SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk

Non of the jpgs with the nordic letters æ, ø and å gets renamed either.

The 10000 jpegs is from my 7300 caches database when SS downloads all jpegs, not only thoose with spoiler in its name. With spoiler only names, the jpegs drops to about 3000.

I have tested both small and large databases, all with a clean export folder, and it is the same with regards to not skipping previously loaded spoilers. If I run the macro several times, on the same database, without creating GPX files in the meantime, the SS works as it should, and takes a second or two on a 100 caches database. But, as soon as GPX files are created, and I run the macro and SS again, most, but not all spoilers are downloaded again.

I do not make any changes to the databases when testing, and "Check for new spoilers on previously processed" are unchecked.

I am not sure if the diskdrive is busy (silent installation), but CPU usage is 100%

Catch when I uploaded the SS macro ver 2.0 I saw a bug and redid it. It was there less than 5 mins but you should download it again to be sure.

The Nordic characters may be causing a problem I will have to test for that. I hope not.

Update worked. Now I run SS (first time) and it downloads everything again. If I immediately run SS again, it zips right through saying already downloaded.

Then generate GPX files (no problems).

Finally, rerun SS again. This time it flashed through the file (downloaded just a few files). All the others said previously downloaded.

Cool.....

Look here.

Thank you! I'm slow some days... :huh:

Catch when I uploaded the SS macro ver 2.0 I saw a bug and redid it. It was there less than 5 mins but you should download it again to be sure.

The Nordic characters may be causing a problem I will have to test for that. I hope not.

The Nordic characters are definitely causing me a problem with cmd.exe. Outputting unicode using the /u switch and tried converting the unicode to ascii using chcp 865 that didn't work. GetFile and PutFile have problems with unicode and Nordic characters. RegExReplace cleaned up the the Hex00's but seems the Nordic characters get lost when using PutFile so now rewriting the logic to use a list instead. Fingers crossed.

Edited by jjreds

Catch when I uploaded the SS macro 2.0 I saw a bug and redid it. It was there less than 5 mins but you should download it again to be sure.

After reinstalling SSMacro 2.0, the small database works OK with spoiler downloads, except for the caches with nordic characters, but I understand jjreds is working on that now. For the large database, the still stops at "Preparing Spoiler Pictures-...", so I have not been able to test if the spoilers are downloded again, but I guess it's OK after reinstalling the SSMacro.

Catch when I uploaded the SS macro 2.0 I saw a bug and redid it. It was there less than 5 mins but you should download it again to be sure.

After reinstalling SSMacro 2.0, the small database works OK with spoiler downloads, except for the caches with nordic characters, but I understand jjreds is working on that now. For the large database, the still stops at "Preparing Spoiler Pictures-...", so I have not been able to test if the spoilers are downloded again, but I guess it's OK after reinstalling the SSMacro.

Please upgrade to Macver 5.3.1 and SSMacro 2.1 for Nordic character support and progress msg for large database.

[

Please upgrade to Macver 5.3.1 and SSMacro 2.1 for Nordic character support and progress msg for large database.

The Nordic characters looks to be OK. When running macro 5.3.1 with SSMacro 2.1, this is what happens on my 7000+ cache datebase with 10000 jpegs: "Preparing Spoiler Sync.." without progress msg for about 5 minutes, then it stops at #409 for a few minutes, before the progress msg # starts counting about 2 a second. After some time, I noticed that it goes slower and slower, and after 4 hours the progress # is at 5000. CPU usage is constantly 100%.

As I have to go for a business trip, I also have to stop the macro. I will run it again when I am back home wednesday/thursday.