Advanced Nuvi Macro

It's on the same line as the "set user flag". Third box over. Greyed out until the set user flag box is checked.

Thanks, I may be tired after watching the whole Olympic opening seremony :laughing: but in what window, macro, program is this ? I checked User Flag only in the SpolierSyncMacro Capture window. Probably the wrong place...

Edit: Found it in GSAK User Flags.

Edited by Catch

jjreds:

I'm very grateful for the effort that you have been putting forth supporting and improving the macro. It has taken our (wife & I) enjoyment of geocaching to the next level. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have a scenario that you might consider addressing if time permits:

I have 3 Garmin GPSr's. Nuvi 680, Nuvi 760 and GPSMap 60Csx They work great with GSAK and their respective macros. The GPSMap60Csx macro I use (Nuvi60CsxGarminCsvPoiExport.gsk by javapgmgr) allows selection of the output directory. This, is extremely handy as it prevents accidental overwriting of POI files with a destination intended for my other devices.

The 680 is my wife's GPSr, and the 760 is mine. Her desire for geocache info on her GPSr is similar to mine - however - that is where the similarities end. I have other data (ham radio repeaters, ATMs and others) that she doesn't want to be bothered with hearing about or cluttering her GPSr display. I can understand that - but it does require forethought to prevent database contamination. I have failed on more than one occasion.

A configurable destination directory that could be selected based on the users: data, device, location(s), etc. would be most helpful. This is just something to consider "in your spare time" <grin> I know that will break the silent POI loader option as written - but even some direction as to where I might edit the macro myself would be great (I don't use the silent option anyway).

Thanks,

Steve

Just ran the 4.9.1 version through it's paces on 3 small databases and my one megabase. Everything went fine except when I got to POIL. I get the following error messages:

POILoader

---------------------------

There is a data format error on line 1 of file C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI_Loader/Home to Indio/Traditional TourGuide.gpx. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file.

OK

and this one:

POILoader

There is a data format error on line 1 of file C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI_Loader/Nuvi/Traditional TourGuide.gpx. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file.

OK

Oddly, there should be four "Traditional" files that fail if it's truely assoicated with just the Traditional gpx, one for each of the four databases. Oddly, also, all the other gpx files seem to be unaffected (16 total gpx files, only 2 failed?????)

I get 743 POIs loaded successfully (should be over 5000). Those would be the ones NOT in the two Traditional GPX files that failed (mystery, corrected, event, etc.).

Like the new layout of the splash screen - much easier to read. Now, if only the font was one or two tics smaller, I wouldn't get so much wordwrap due to long cache names.

Pictures still show where they were before. Did note something odd - the new "Image" reference says the same thing for every picture in every cache. Mine says "Get Your Gear Here!" I don't know which picture it's getting that from but it's the same for all caches.

I don't know why you're getting those POIL messages....they can be hard to troubleshoot. Usually boils down to 1 cache it doesn't like. I'm not seeing the image reference problem either. Try deleting the complete DB folder and start from scratch on one of the small DB's and see if that fixes it. I'm about to post a new release that loads ALL of the pics to the GPSr. Sweeeet!

<snip>

First of all, I have upgraded to 4.9.1 and Spoiler macro 1.5, and it works fine, and the Goepic is great.

I have checked "set user flag", but I do not find a place to check "clear all user flags first?". Where to look ?

Deleted - you found it.

Edited by jjreds

No. Not the first time. Then "yes" the second time. Now I've deleted all waypoints in the database in GSAK and reloaded the PQ (with the User Flag checked for all). Reran macro again and the pictures now were downloaded. But, the same error occurs on the Traditional gpx file.

Not sure what to do next..... Maybe actually delete the database in GSAK and then recreate....

Will upgrade to version 5.0 and see what happens.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

The user flag I'm talking about is on the spoiler macro form. If that is checked and nothing flagged it will ignore the db.

No. Not the first time. Then "yes" the second time. Now I've deleted all waypoints in the database in GSAK and reloaded the PQ (with the User Flag checked for all). Reran macro again and the pictures now were downloaded. But, the same error occurs on the Traditional gpx file.

Not sure what to do next..... Maybe actually delete the database in GSAK and then recreate....

Don't do that. Try turning off spoiler pics first. Run GPX&POIL. If still broke then copy a few of the TRA's to a test DB and check for an error(GPX&POIL). Keep narrowing down until you find the offending cache. Post the GC code when you find it. Or email me the TRA's as a backed-up DB and I'll look when I get some time.

Run POIL to a file and you won't have to wait for a connect. Good luck. I'm gone for 24 Happy Caching Everybody!!

The user flag I'm talking about is on the spoiler macro form. If that is checked and nothing flagged it will ignore the db.

Don't do that. Try turning off spoiler pics first. Run GPX&POIL. If still broke then copy a few of the TRA's to a test DB and check for an error(GPX&POIL). Keep narrowing down until you find the offending cache. Post the GC code when you find it. Or email me the TRA's as a backed-up DB and I'll look when I get some time.

Run POIL to a file and you won't have to wait for a connect. Good luck. I'm gone for 24 Happy Caching Everybody!!

Tried that approach but kept having the problem no matter which cache I ran (I got to running just one cache at a time). In fact, I gained a new error - the dreaded "not valid".

Went back to version 4.8.2 and used the exact same databases - no changes at all. Everything loads correctly. So, to me, that means there is "some" difference between 4.8.2 and 4.9.1. And that difference is present in 5.0.

<snip>

Tried that approach but kept having the problem no matter which cache I ran (I got to running just one cache at a time). In fact, I gained a new error - the dreaded "not valid".

Went back to version 4.8.2 and used the exact same databases - no changes at all. Everything loads correctly. So, to me, that means there is "some" difference between 4.8.2 and 4.9.1. And that difference is present in 5.0.

Edit - deleted, see reply below.

Edited by jjreds

<snio>

The difference is the description is added. There must be an unruly character in a picture description? You get the error when "Load spoiler pics?" is NOT selected???

Good point. I'll have to check. But, still, I only get the error with the Traditional gpx, not the other ones. Then again, if it's a rarely used character, the odds are that it'll show up in a Traditional cache since that's the vast majority of caches. I'm back at 4.8.2 right now so it'll take some time. Tomorrow at earliest.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

<snip>

Good point. I'll have to check. But, still, I only get the error with the Traditional gpx, not the other ones. Then again, if it's a rarely used character, the odds are that it'll show up in a Traditional cache since that's the vast majority of caches. I'm back at 4.8.2 right now so it'll take some time. Tomorrow at earliest.

Pls check to see if the symbols are displaying correctly for child waypoints. Thks.

<snip>

Just occurred to me that I also reformatted the splash page with that release......I've added some needed scrubbing there in ver 5.0.1. Let's see if that fixes it.

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

A configurable destination directory that could be selected based on the users: data, device, location(s), etc. would be most helpful. This is just something to consider "in your spare time" <grin> I know that will break the silent POI loader option as written - but even some direction as to where I might edit the macro myself would be great (I don't use the silent option anyway).

Thanks,

Steve

Steve - search the macro for all the instances of POI_Loader and you will understand the magnitude of the change. The path format takes several different forms depending on the function. It's doable but would be a lot of rework. After you run the macro why don't you just rename "POI_Loader" to "Her Data" or something like that? I could add an option to do that in the macro for you - the folder would be in your gsak install folder. Would that work?

Actually, I just copied the DEFAULT database to new databases "60Csx", "760" and "680". This creates directories of the same name in c:\POI_LOADER (instead of "DEFAULT). The only trouble is they must be cleared prior to running GSAK to load updated PQ's.

I'll see how this works out for now - thanks.

Steve

<snip>

Thanks,

Steve

Steve - search the macro for all the instances of POI_Loader and you will understand the magnitude of the change. The path format takes several different forms depending on the function. It's doable but would be a lot of rework. After you run the macro why don't you just rename "POI_Loader" to "Her Data" or something like that? I could add an option to do that in the macro for you - the folder would be in your gsak install folder. Would that work?

<snip>

Just occurred to me that I also reformatted the splash page with that release......I've added some needed scrubbing there in ver 5.0.1. Let's see if that fixes it.

OK. It's confirmed. jjreds rocks. I don't know what you did but it now works perfectly, including the extra pictures. Version 5.0.1 now moves into the "Last Macro That I Know Worked" folder.

Did you change the splash screen back ? 'Cause I just upgraded both macros, and still have it showing cache name/cache type/n or y for TB's/GC#. I thought the N or Y part was changed to show the size of the cache but, tis not showing that on my Nuvi 260W. :rolleyes: I was looking forward to that feature.

Thank you,

I haven't a clue. I just know from post #408 that the screenshots were showing R (Regular) where N (No TB) or Y (Yes TB) used to be.

The "R" would be the result of changing the %typ=3 to %typ=1 in the format line "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* "

The Y means that you've found the cache. The * at the end of the line (the result of %bug=*) indicates that there is a bug present in the cache (or so GS says!!).

Try replacing what is in your entry box with "%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%found/%code%bug=* " and see if that gets what you want.

Yours probably says cache "%name/%typ=1/%found/%code"

bleh Too much info! lol I forgot the N/Y was if I had found it or not.

I don' want to change the type (Tra, Mul, etc). I want to change the %found part to show what size the cache tis, like the screenshot in post #408 shows. I don' keep found caches on my GPS anymore, so that part of the info's irrelevant to me.

I don' want to change the type (Tra, Mul, etc). I want to change the %found part to show what size the cache tis, like the screenshot in post #408 shows. I don' keep found caches on my GPS anymore, so that part of the info's irrelevant to me.

Post #408 uses ShortName/Type/Container/Difficulty-Terrain/Travelbug=*

Go to the advanced options form and copy and paste this:%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%con1/%dif-%ter%bug=*

I'm now getting all the pics, but the macro is bogged down with missing file (transparent.bmp not found).

That's because you are using the custom icon option which stops the macro from refreshing the icons in the TourGuide_Tools folder.

Just rename TourGuide_Tools to something else, start the macro, turn off custom icons, restart the macro (creating the new symbols), turn on custom icons, and then move the files in the renamed folder to TourGuide_Tools.

Anyone who is using the custom icon option will experience this if I add a new symbol to the macro and it can't find it.

Post #408 uses ShortName/Type/Container/Difficulty-Terrain/Travelbug=*

Go to the advanced options form and copy and paste this:%ShortName=14/%typ=3/%con1/%dif-%ter%bug=*

Awesome! Thank you! :rolleyes:

I just upgraded to the latest version of the macro. The various databases that I select for exporting to the Nuvi complete without issue. When I go to actually load them via POI Loader, I get an error saying my Red Light and Speed camera Tourguide.gpx file is invalid.

I have tried completely deleting the old files and regenerating them - same end result. The other geocache databases export/load with no problems.

This error started after upgrading to the latest version of the macro. Has anyone else run into this? If so, what is the fix?

I just upgraded to the latest version of the macro. The various databases that I select for exporting to the Nuvi complete without issue. When I go to actually load them via POI Loader, I get an error saying my Red Light and Speed camera Tourguide.gpx file is invalid.

I have tried completely deleting the old files and regenerating them - same end result. The other geocache databases export/load with no problems.

This error started after upgrading to the latest version of the macro. Has anyone else run into this? If so, what is the fix?

Tested Waymarks, RLC's, and Speed Traps in ver. 5.0.2 seems to be ok now. Please upgrade.

Edited by jjreds

I'm having a small issue. I've installed all the latest files, updated my Nuvi 206W. I can run pilotsnipe's version just fine. When I run your file, I get the same as Pilotsnipe's. No categories, no separate databases on the Nuvi. Any idea.

Disable POI Loader silent mode and point to ...gsak\POI_Loader

POIL uses the last settings when running in silent mode.

Here is one short suggestion to avoid the flashing 'cmd.exe' icon in the taskbar, and to possibly improve speed. How about writing a large batchfile that performs all the necessary cmd.exe operations at once?

Completed in Ver 5.2 Thanks for the tip. Much better now. Don't even bother to count the spoilers any more it runs so fast.

Also added selectable volume for alert tone (Soft, Medium, Loud) relative to the GPSr volume.

Soft is the current setting, Loud was the original. Hopefully we all can find a volume that we like now....

jjreds

Wow! This is an incredible achievement.

I am trying to create something similar for Mio GPSr and would like to use your macro as a model for mine (read: I plan on shamelessly using most of your code, getting away with as few changes as possible).

Everything is pretty easy to follow (very well written and documented) but I am having a difficult time figuring out how you get the bitmap images sent over to your Nuvi, and how you assign them to the particular caches. Once I have a better understanding of what you are doing, I think it will make my modifications easier.

Would you mind taking a few moments and explaining how that section of code works? The rest is pretty clear.

Unfortunately, I am afraid I will have to take out a lot of the functionality you have worked so hard to put in, but at least I can do many things the same way.

Thank you for any help.

- TripTroupe

jjreds

Wow! This is an incredible achievement.

I am trying to create something similar for Mio GPSr and would like to use your macro as a model for mine (read: I plan on shamelessly using most of your code, getting away with as few changes as possible).

Everything is pretty easy to follow (very well written and documented) but I am having a difficult time figuring out how you get the bitmap images sent over to your Nuvi, and how you assign them to the particular caches. Once I have a better understanding of what you are doing, I think it will make my modifications easier.

Would you mind taking a few moments and explaining how that section of code works? The rest is pretty clear.

Unfortunately, I am afraid I will have to take out a lot of the functionality you have worked so hard to put in, but at least I can do many things the same way.

Thank you for any help.

- TripTroupe

Unfortunately, explaining how bitmaps get assigned on a Garmin will be completely useless when porting this code to the MIO. Garmin's POI Loader handles this function "under the hood" as well as handling the sound/alert/voice (.mp3 or .wav) when creating the .gpi file. The only code that might apply is the section regarding child waypoints. That section uses XML to assign the symbols independent of the parent symbol.

MIO uses WindowsCE/Mobile and the MIO POI Loader imports .xls (Excel) & .csv (Comma separated value) POI files and creates a KML file. In the process it will attempt to geocode the address. You can get name and description this way although there may be? some character limits. You may be able to find a working version of iGO explorer or similar to import the gpx files created by the macro, in that case you will have to pay particular attention to the Garmin XML extensions which are not universal and will need to be changed/deleted.

Since MIO will not import a .gpx file, your best bet may be to output the .kml (Google Earth) file directly and use the icon tag to display the symbol and the description and address tags to output the cache info/description/logs/hint. I have only played around with KML a little bit and not sure about displaying the spoiler images but there should be a way to do it. You will have to do some research to figure out how to implement the on-route and radius type alerts.

The MIO probably has the greatest potential for customization since once unlocked, the user interface (skin) can be completely hacked and the built-in POI's are stored in <iGO.db> a SQLite database. I would think the ideal way to implement this would be to edit the database directly. Good luck, it should be fun.

Yup, basically I am trying to do what you say...write a custom kml file and modify some of the icons in the data.zip file. No problem there.

Mostly, I am trying to understand some of the variables in your code, and the only I can't understand is how the icons get assigned. Now, I realize I don't really need to understand that, especially since I can't use it. But it bugs me that I don't understand. There might be something there I can use.

And you are right, I think I have about 2 lines to play with for information, which is very limited. So now I need to figure out what to put in those two lines.

Anyway, thank for the encouragement, and if you look closely at whatever I produce, I think it will look very familiar to you.

It's on the same line as the "set user flag". Third box over. Greyed out until the set user flag box is checked.

Thanks, I may be tired after watching the whole Olympic opening seremony ;) but in what window, macro, program is this ? I checked User Flag only in the SpolierSyncMacro Capture window. Probably the wrong place...

I still have the problem that SpoilerSync takes very long time, and from what I can see, it is still downloading almost all spoilers every time I run the macro with SpoilerSync checked.

I can see that these files are generated, "no spoiler found.txt", "spoiler.txt" and "Description List.txt".

I can also see that "no spoiler found.txt" is deleted when the SpoilerSync program is started, "spoilers.txt" is updated when "Create GPX Files" is selected, and "Description List.txt" is updated when the macro starts to resize the spoiler pictures.

Is the SpoilerSync ment to use the "no spoilers found.txt" and "spoilers.txt" in a way that only spoilers from new caches added, are downloaded ?

Edited by Catch

Thanks, I may be tired after watching the whole Olympic opening seremony :P but in what window, macro, program is this ? I checked User Flag only in the SpolierSyncMacro Capture window. Probably the wrong place...

I still have the problem that SpoilerSync takes very long time, and from what I can see, it is still downloading almost all spoilers every time I run the macro with SpoilerSync checked.

I can see that these files are generated, "no spoiler found.txt", "spoiler.txt" and "Description List.txt".

I can also see that "no spoiler found.txt" is deleted when the SpoilerSync program is started, "spoilers.txt" is updated when "Create GPX Files" is selected, and "Description List.txt" is updated when the macro starts to resize the spoiler pictures.

Is the SpoilerSync ment to use the "no spoilers found.txt" and "spoilers.txt" in a way that only spoilers from new caches added, are downloaded ?

I'm seeing the same thing...and I think yes, it should not be rechecking if the recheck flag is not set.....not my program ;)

Hi,

I've been using your macro for some time on my Nuvi 760.

I've upgraded to the lastest version 5.2 today.

Now when I look at the cache screen it shows:

Alert Information:

Distance: None

Speed: None

I've been running the macro in advanced mode with Alert Type? No Alert.

I noticed if I turn on settings for Tourguide Proximity alerts for the caches, they will display properly with the green play button (and not the 3 lines of text). But ONLY if I choose them from the submenus (ie Earth, Multi, Trad) that are labelled Tourguides. If I choose them from All Categories or say a Traditional Unknown, they also display the same problem with Alert Information:, Distance, etc at the top of each splash screen.

It seems like if the .gpx file is labelled a TourGuide it displays properly. If it's labelled like Traditional Unknown.gpx, then it throws in the 3 lines of text above.

I reverted back to the 4.8.2 macro, and it's working fine. Something change in the 5 macro series? Did you add some TourGuide reference to those screens?

Thanks

348.jpg

353.jpg

Edited by HMarkguy

Ok - another couple of questions...

1) Is there a way on the NUVI 360 with this macro to have all the close caches displayed on the map...

I think presently it will only show 1 cache at a time...

2) I see that you should be able to change the alert tone to something custom... I cannot find the directions of how to do this...

voyageurs60 (Dan)