Advanced Nuvi Macro

<snip>

How was the .gpi file (6xx) created? Did you use POIL to install to a nuvi and then copy the resulting .gpi from the nuvi to the website? If so, my POIL is not assimilating the .jpg files into the .gpi file. I'm using version version 2.5.2.0.

The .gpi file was created by running POIL in manual mode and selecting save points to "custom folder".

==================

Update: I did some research of the .gpx file (my small one with just one .jpg spoiler) using Mapsource and found that the URL/file reference already showed the right .jpg file associated with the waypoint. However, the full path to the file wasn't called out. I specified the full path and saved the .gpx file over the other one. Then reloaded using POIL. Now the picture/image shows correctly in my nuvi on the splash page.

So, that seems to be where the problem is - full path to the .jpg. Now, how can I get the macro to prepend the full path for all the .jpg files in the large database?

Another case where just because it works here doesn't mean much. On my system POIL looks in the current path for the gpx for the picture so filename works. Full path added in ver 4.5.3 Thanks for figuring this one out.

Edited by jjreds

Just checked out 4.5.3. That didn't do it, apparently. I now get the dreaded "invalid" statement. Will run full test tomorrow.

Let's compare the format of the links on our systems. Use your single cache database and create a link using Mapsource. Output a gpx and open with a text editor. Compare the link to this:

<link href="file://C:/gsak/POI_Loader/test/GCHYRE.jpg"/>

The forward slashes are correct and required on my system to work correctly - please post yours. Thanks.

Just checked out 4.5.3. That didn't do it, apparently. I now get the dreaded "invalid" statement. Will run full test tomorrow.

Let's compare the format of the links on our systems. Use your single cache database and create a link using Mapsource. Output a gpx and open with a text editor. Compare the link to this:

The forward slashes are correct and required on my system to work correctly - please post yours. Thanks.

I think I followed what your asked here. Used my GSAK file of 500 and exported as a .gpx to hard drive. Opened that with Mapsource and deleted all caches except the one with the .jpg. Then reset the link to the picture file and then saved the file as a .gpx. Opened in Notepad and found the ref in the text. This is the link generated by Mapsource.

href="file://C:/Program%20Files/GSAK/POI_Loader/Indio/GCBBE6.jpg"/>

Is that the process you wanted?

Update: 9:39am. Tried running the new macro against a test database of just one cache, the one with the picture. Ran SpoilerSync and got the picture (it showed up in a new folder in POI_Loader). OK so far. Then ran the main macro and created the Traditional Tourguide.gpx. Still OK. Tried to open it with Mapsource and - crash. Says it's it cannot open it. Tried to run POIL with it, still not valid. So I no longer can generate POI files with the new version 4.5.3 - need to go back to 4.5.2. Can you repost that to the download page? Then I'll be able to create a new one that works with the POIL.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I think I followed what your asked here. Used my GSAK file of 500 and exported as a .gpx to hard drive. Opened that with Mapsource and deleted all caches except the one with the .jpg. Then reset the link to the picture file and then saved the file as a .gpx. Opened in Notepad and found the ref in the text. This is the link generated by Mapsource.

href="file://C:/Program%20Files/GSAK/POI_Loader/Indio/GCBBE6.jpg"/>

Is that the process you wanted?

I think that is the problem. I've been getting the "Invalid File" error also, but if I go through the GPX files and do a search and replace of "Program Files" with "Program%20Files" (before running POILoader) it works great.

This macro just keeps getting better and better. :huh: Thanks for all the hard work

I think that is the problem. I've been getting the "Invalid File" error also, but if I go through the GPX files and do a search and replace of "Program Files" with "Program%20Files" (before running POILoader) it works great.

This macro just keeps getting better and better. :huh: Thanks for all the hard work

So, is the macro on the download site good to use? Because, I just downloaded it and ran it again. I still have invalid files.

Update: 10:26

Just went through my smaller database file and replaced all of the "Program Files" entires with "Program%20Files" as you did in each of the "... Tourguide.gpx" files. It worked!!!!! Those files now load to the nuvi and the pictures seem to where they should be. (Note: when I did the replace, the "Program%20Files" converted to "//" but when I reopened the .gpx, they then said "Program%20Files" - go figure...)

Now I tried the HUGE database and processing time for just one entry was 7 seconds (because the file is so huge).

So, it appears we now know the culprit.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

ver 4.5.4 now puts Program%20Files in the path. Looking for a good report here for a change (crossed fingers)

Totally reran both the large and small databases through the full process using new (4.6) version - SpoilerSync and then generate GPX files. Everything ran perfectly. Had SS reprocess previous files too. GPX files are valid and POIL load them. Samples of GC#s show the right pictures. Perfect!!! And just in time for the demo on Tuesday!!! Only thing I didn't do was erase all of the old folders (to get rid of old pictures). That would be a complete test. Thanks jjreds - great!!!

Ver 4.7 now gives all the spoilers a unique name and writes them to the gpx file (multiple spoilers for each POI). POI Loader runs ok here, but I let my son borrow my GPSr so I have no idea how the Nuvi will react to multiple pics. I hope it works........

I see that this macro works off of GSAK which is not Mac compatible. Is there other software that is mac compatible to use before this macro? If not are there other macros that will work? I have a mac and currently a nuvi 350. Am I dead in the water?

Ver 4.7 now gives all the spoilers a unique name and writes them to the gpx file (multiple spoilers for each POI). POI Loader runs ok here, but I let my son borrow my GPSr so I have no idea how the Nuvi will react to multiple pics. I hope it works........

The "Image" button is not available on POIs with multiple spoilers on my Nuvi 760.

Also, testet on at least 25 POIs, there is (no longer ?) an "Image" button on POIs with single spoiler when the jpg filesize is larger than apx 150 kB..

The "Image" button is not available on POIs with multiple spoilers on my Nuvi 760.

Also, testet on at least 25 POIs, there is (no longer ?) an "Image" button on POIs with single spoiler when the jpg filesize is larger than apx 150 kB..

Rewrote portions of the spoiler pic logic to handle multiple runs (updates) of spoilers. No need to manually delete old spoilers anymore. Any updated pics will be applied.

Macro now resizes spoiler pics based on the display size of the GPS'r.

Disabled multiple pics for POI until I can test this further. It may be a limitation of the Nuvi firmware.

Upgrade to ver 4.8 for the above mods. I am especially interested in hearing how the resizing is working out on the various models. The macro is still creating the needed files for Colorado and Oregon in hopes that Garmin will enable the image view function on these units in a future firmware release.

Version 4.8 worked for me. I completely reran the SpoilerSync as well as the GPX export. Picture names are different now. For example, I have two pictures associated with GC1A5PC (GC1A5PC.0.jpg and GC1A5PC.jpg - note the .0). Oddly, the macro chooses the first in the list (the GC1A5PC.0.jpg). There is no enlargement to the picture on the nuvi, though - at least the few I checked.

Version 4.8 worked for me. I completely reran the SpoilerSync as well as the GPX export. Picture names are different now. For example, I have two pictures associated with GC1A5PC (GC1A5PC.0.jpg and GC1A5PC.jpg - note the .0). Oddly, the macro chooses the first in the list (the GC1A5PC.0.jpg). There is no enlargement to the picture on the nuvi, though - at least the few I checked.

GC1A5PC.jpg can be deleted the macro won't use it, probably a left over from a previous version.

The macro now numbers the spoilers starting with <GC code>.0.jpg Any file from SpoilerSync with "spoiler" in the name gets preference and is assigned #0, the first (and now only) picture to be loaded with the POI. All of the remaining spoilers are numbered sequentially <GC code>.1.jpg, <GC code>.2.jpg, etc.

It was reported that the Nuvi 7xx refused to display any image when multiples were loaded via POI Loader so I disabled that feature for now. I'm going to post some sample POI's on the beta test page with multiples so others can check to see how their unit responds. I'll post a link when I get that done.

The macro resizes any picture whose width exceeds the GPSr's screen width. It does not enlarge the smaller pics (although it could). This was done due to a report that images > ~150K would not display.

Then everything is working as it should. I have one more database I'll try - it errored out a few passes ago and I'm not sure which version created which datafile. My test database and my master database both did what they were supposed to do.

Now I'll go back and clear all those .jpg files (those without the 0., 1. etc.).

Great work!!! The demo should wow them!!

Just upgraded to 4.8 and get the file invalid error:

c733de14-48ff-4a1e-b6af-ad18983786fd.jpg

You selected no alerts?

If you're using spoilers it's probably the space in the database name. I'll post a fix PDQ.

Aha!!! That's what probably caused my secondary sample to fail. It was called "All Corona". Blanks are such a pain...... Remember the old days when filenames only had 8 characters.....

Go here to preview multiple spoiler pics on your GPSr. Download and copy the file for your device to the POI folder on your GPSr. Look for "Spoiler Test" on the GPSr. There are 3 caches. 1 has 67 spoilers, 1 has 2, 1 has 1.

Reported:

7xx will not display multiples.

Colorado and Oregon will not display any image.

Please report your findings to the forum - thanks.

Jim

Nuvi 260W

Davis Farm shows me a pic of someone with a dog in the woods. I can't figure out how to see any other pics.

88 Spaces keeps messing up. Whenever I touch the screen to move the pic around, it jumps up. If you haven't pressed the -/+ keys, you won't be able to see the pic anymore. Pressing the - key shrunk the pic, and brought it back to the middle of the screen but, trying to move it around on the screen jumps it up to the top, and halfway hides it again.

Upper Buttermilk shows a pic of some trees and grass. Seems to work ok.

Uh.Oh. No longer get any pictures to transfer to the nuvi 660. They are all in their respective folders, all the .jpgs are renamed as noted above. Macro says it's processing the pictures and seems to do everything correctly - but no pictures. This includes those pictures with or without the 0., .1, .2, etc.

Let's post 4.8 again to the download site (like 4.6 is). And we just won't use two-word databases until....

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Uh.Oh. No longer get any pictures to transfer to the nuvi 660. They are all in their respective folders, all the .jpgs are renamed as noted above. Macro says it's processing the pictures and seems to do everything correctly - but no pictures. This includes those pictures with or without the 0., .1, .2, etc.

Let's post 4.8 again to the download site (like 4.6 is). And we just won't use two-word databases until....

Try ver 4.8.2

What I did as a test right now, was to replace "Catch" with my GC ID, 1183952, in the POI Export window, "Owned by (ID)", and now I can not see my placed caches. I will do some more tests, but this looks great. THANKS :)

Umm. where would I find my numerical GC ID? I only know my GC username?

Go here to preview multiple spoiler pics on your GPSr. Download and copy the file for your device to the POI folder on your GPSr. Look for "Spoiler Test" on the GPSr. There are 3 caches. 1 has 67 spoilers, 1 has 2, 1 has 1.

Reported:

Jim

I can still not find a way to view the spoiler images on the Oregon.

On the 760, I can see 1 image for each of the 3 caches.

Davis Farm: A woman with a dog in the forrest

88 Spaces: Looks like 1/3 of an old painting. The back of a half nude lady

Upper Buttermilk: Trees, grass and a small river in the background.

Try ver 4.8.2

OK!!! 4.8.2 seems to do it right. Thanks.

GC1A5PC.jpg can be deleted the macro won't use it, probably a left over from a previous version.

The macro now numbers the spoilers starting with <GC code>.0.jpg Any file from SpoilerSync with "spoiler" in the name gets preference and is assigned #0, the first (and now only) picture to be loaded with the POI. All of the remaining spoilers are numbered sequentially <GC code>.1.jpg, <GC code>.2.jpg, etc.

It was reported that the Nuvi 7xx refused to display any image when multiples were loaded via POI Loader so I disabled that feature for now. I'm going to post some sample POI's on the beta test page with multiples so others can check to see how their unit responds. I'll post a link when I get that done.

The macro resizes any picture whose width exceeds the GPSr's screen width. It does not enlarge the smaller pics (although it could). This was done due to a report that images > ~150K would not display.

Running SpoilerSync takes alot longer time than before (hours on my 8500 caches database), and it looks like most, if not all, spoiler pictures are downloaded again even that I have set up SpoilerSync and the macro to only check for and download spoilers for new caches in the database.

It looks like all spoilers, including multiples, are stored in the POI_Loader/"database" folder when SpoilerSync is running, but when returning to the macro, most, but not all, multiples have been deleted, and most of the remaining jpg's (with todays date/time) has been renamed with an 0 in front of jpg.

jpg's without the 0, has the spoilername after the GC code, and date/time is last time I did run SpoilerSync (that also took hours)

I just did a complete update to four databases (3 w/ ~500 each and one with 4950). SpoilerSync did download pictures (again) but that's probably because they had been renamed in the previous processing. It actually went pretty quickly. The only pictures that don't have the GC#.X.X.jpg format in the names are a couple with either coordinates or a number (like GC# - 360 view.jpg). Total time for a COMPLETE update including SpoilerSync and GPX generation took about 2 hours.

All seems to be working just perfectly for my 660.

P.S. The demo last night at an event here went well. Have several converts......

<snip>

Running SpoilerSync takes alot longer time than before (hours on my 8500 caches database), and it looks like most, if not all, spoiler pictures are downloaded again even that I have set up SpoilerSync and the macro to only check for and download spoilers for new caches in the database.

It looks like all spoilers, including multiples, are stored in the POI_Loader/"database" folder when SpoilerSync is running, but when returning to the macro, most, but not all, multiples have been deleted, and most of the remaining jpg's (with todays date/time) has been renamed with an 0 in front of jpg.

jpg's without the 0, has the spoilername after the GC code, and date/time is last time I did run SpoilerSync (that also took hours)

I do not control the speed at which SpoilerSync runs. That is determined by your IP speed and traffic.

1) You should update to the latest version. The logic is evolving quickly.

2) Make sure "Create a summary file" is checked.

3) Yes the macro HAS to rename the files. POI Loader is VERY FUSSY about EVERYTHING!!

4) NO images are being deleted.

5) Image "0" will load to the GPSr with the cache page (depending on model)

6) The rest will be loaded optionally as child waypoints [eventually]

I just did a complete update to four databases (3 w/ ~500 each and one with 4950). SpoilerSync did download pictures (again) but that's probably because they had been renamed in the previous processing. It actually went pretty quickly. The only pictures that don't have the GC#.X.X.jpg format in the names are a couple with either coordinates or a number (like GC# - 360 view.jpg). Total time for a COMPLETE update including SpoilerSync and GPX generation took about 2 hours.

All seems to be working just perfectly for my 660.

P.S. The demo last night at an event here went well. Have several converts......

Nice! More enhancements on the way......

Reported:

Jim

On my nuvi 360:

only one picture shown for each of the 3 samples.

I can move the picture around on the screen like scrolling on the map, but the other pictures are also not stitched to the side (like map tiles). That might be an option though to handle multiple pictured: stitch them together and let the user scroll from picture to picture?

<snip>

That might be an option though to handle multiple pictured: stitch them together and let the user scroll from picture to picture?

Everyone who has played with the image function with custom POI's should know by now that even though POI Loader will load multiple images via the XML for the POI the GPSr's will not display them. (Or if there is a way, it is a well kept secret) I have contacted Garmin about this shortcoming and also re: Colorado & Oregon's lack of the image function.

Your idea to stitch all the pics together into one has some merit - I'm heading in a different direction right now though. Why don't you see what is the largest (kb) pic you can load with your 360 and report back to the forum (fyi I've seen 60+ images for a single cache) - and we would need a command line utility to do the stitching.....this could be option in the macro. Thanks.

Here is one short suggestion to avoid the flashing 'cmd.exe' icon in the taskbar, and to possibly improve speed. How about writing a large batchfile that performs all the necessary cmd.exe operations at once?

Another good idea. I will consider this in a future version. Thanks.

<snip>

I do not control the speed at which SpoilerSync runs. That is determined by your IP speed and traffic.

1) You should update to the latest version. The logic is evolving quickly.

2) Make sure "Create a summary file" is checked.

3) Yes the macro HAS to rename the files. POI Loader is VERY FUSSY about EVERYTHING!!

4) NO images are being deleted.

5) Image "0" will load to the GPSr with the cache page (depending on model)

6) The rest will be loaded optionally as child waypoints [eventually]

1. I check for updates every day ;)

2. That one was unchecked, but I have been running the macro and SpoilerSync 3 times today (on the same unchanged database), but no difference. If I do not remember wrong, earlier I could read "spoiler already downloaded" (or something like that in the SpoilerSync progress window, but since one or two updates ago, I see only "no spoiler found", "1 spoilers", "2 spoilers" and so. When looking in the Spoiler folder, I can see that most spoilers are downloaded again. Just when i was to push the "Add Reply" on this post, I could see a few "spoilers already downloded" in the SpoilerSync window. I'm a bit confused :anitongue:

<snip>

2. That one was unchecked, but I have been running the macro and SpoilerSync 3 times today (on the same unchanged database), but no difference. If I do not remember wrong, earlier I could read "spoiler already downloaded" (or something like that in the SpoilerSync progress window, but since one or two updates ago, I see only "no spoiler found", "1 spoilers", "2 spoilers" and so. When looking in the Spoiler folder, I can see that most spoilers are downloaded again. Just when i was to push the "Add Reply" on this post, I could see a few "spoilers already downloded" in the SpoilerSync window. I'm a bit confused :laughing:

The macro has to rename the SS files. The SS filenames are not acceptable to POI Loader and it crashes when I try to use them. Many have special characters which POI Loader detests. SS is matching filenames so yes it will recreate the files IF you run the GPX macro in-between.

Work around: Check "set user flag" and "clear all user flags first?" on the ZIP download screen when loading your PQs. I have added an option in the macro to only check for spoilers on the updated records (User Flag checked). That way you can control what records SS has access to since you have a mega dataset. Upgrade to ver 1.5 to enable this feature.

Edited by jjreds

Version 4.9.1 now available.

1) Reformatted the cache splash page. (Not 3xx and 8xx):

120.jpg

2) Why throw away the descriptions provided by SpoilerSync? The macro now creates a file named "Description List.txt" in the POI_Loader\<DB> folder. It uses this list to lookup and add the description to the cache page.

133.jpg

78.jpg

3) Added support for filtering User Flag only records when using SpoilerSyncTxfr.gsk (Requires ver. 1.5 or later) Set your PQ download options to "set user flag" and "clear all user flags first?". Then check the "User Flag" option on the SpoilerSyncTxfr macro setup form. This option can also be used to check for spoilers on any subset of your database you choose by first filtering and then setting the user flag (F6).

Bonus:

Here is a nice geopic for your Nuvi widescreen that will display at power-up and when the USB cable is connected:

GeoSplash.jpg

Edited by jjreds

Just ran the 4.9.1 version through it's paces on 3 small databases and my one megabase. Everything went fine except when I got to POIL. I get the following error messages:

POILoader

---------------------------

There is a data format error on line 1 of file C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI_Loader/Home to Indio/Traditional TourGuide.gpx. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file.

OK

and this one:

POILoader

There is a data format error on line 1 of file C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI_Loader/Nuvi/Traditional TourGuide.gpx. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file.

OK

Oddly, there should be four "Traditional" files that fail if it's truely assoicated with just the Traditional gpx, one for each of the four databases. Oddly, also, all the other gpx files seem to be unaffected (16 total gpx files, only 2 failed?????)

I get 743 POIs loaded successfully (should be over 5000). Those would be the ones NOT in the two Traditional GPX files that failed (mystery, corrected, event, etc.).

Like the new layout of the splash screen - much easier to read. Now, if only the font was one or two tics smaller, I wouldn't get so much wordwrap due to long cache names.

Pictures still show where they were before. Did note something odd - the new "Image" reference says the same thing for every picture in every cache. Mine says "Get Your Gear Here!" I don't know which picture it's getting that from but it's the same for all caches.

<snip>

2. That one was unchecked, but I have been running the macro and SpoilerSync 3 times today (on the same unchanged database), but no difference. If I do not remember wrong, earlier I could read "spoiler already downloaded" (or something like that in the SpoilerSync progress window, but since one or two updates ago, I see only "no spoiler found", "1 spoilers", "2 spoilers" and so. When looking in the Spoiler folder, I can see that most spoilers are downloaded again. Just when i was to push the "Add Reply" on this post, I could see a few "spoilers already downloded" in the SpoilerSync window. I'm a bit confused :laughing:

The macro has to rename the SS files. The SS filenames are not acceptable to POI Loader and it crashes when I try to use them. Many have special characters which POI Loader detests. SS is matching filenames so yes it will recreate the files IF you run the GPX macro in-between.

Work around: Check "set user flag" and "clear all user flags first?" on the ZIP download screen when loading your PQs. I have added an option in the macro to only check for spoilers on the updated records (User Flag checked). That way you can control what records SS has access to since you have a mega dataset. Upgrade to ver 1.5 to enable this feature.

First of all, I have upgraded to 4.9.1 and Spoiler macro 1.5, and it works fine, and the Goepic is great.

I have checked "set user flag", but I do not find a place to check "clear all user flags first?". Where to look ?

Edited by Catch