Advanced Nuvi Macro

Firstly, great work on this macro. You've done Pilotsnipes proud - I'm sure. Secondly, great work (see a trend?)

Anyway... I've been following along here - and all seems to be working very well - except that I can seem to stop the macro from overwriting MY icons.

I have my own 24x24 that I prefer to use but I can't seem to keep them. I don't know if it's because of an updated macro or whatnot. Sometimes, I *think* I'm all set - but get errors and eventually fail the macro due to not being able to find xxx.bmp.

Very frustrating to say the least. I ve tried the check box to use my own icons - but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a list of icons that the macro creates? And how can I stop the macros icons?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, I was able to see the images on my 660. They were on the splash screen in the upper right corner (not after pressing "More" but on the initial cache page). I could then press the picture and get a full screen image (well 70% of the screen).

I did not have any Image button which is why I was confused when that was mentioned.

Edit: I just reloaded the 6xx.gpi file on my nuvi 660 and tried again - just to be sure I wasn't seeing things before. Not knowing for sure how it was intended to get the .gpi to the nuvi, I just copied the .gpi directly to the poi folder on the nuvi. Then booted the nuvi.

I now have the following categories at the first selection screen: All categories, Nuvi, Earth Tourguide, Event Tourguide etc. Nuvi is my database and if I select that I go to the category list for that database. But, if I choose Earth, Event, etc, I go to the 6xx.gpi folders of your sample caches.

Examples:

Under Earth Tourguide I have "LlenrocEarthca/Ear/U/2-1". Selecting that gives me the initial splash screen. Green arrow is upper left followed by the title (same as the list screen). To it's right is the small image (a thumbnail, if you wish) of the associated picture (above the big green "Go!". Pressing that image give a full screen image of what looks like a construction site with a worker in the center.

Selecting Event, I have cache called WellsboroGeoca/Eve/U/1-1. Again the thumbnail is present. Image is a portrait picture of the fall colors in a mountainous region.

I guess the thumbnail is equivalent to the "Image" button that others are referring to. I have a thumbnail instead.

The orientation of the picture (landscape/portrait) determines if I have full screen or not. Landscape is better because the nuvi is widescreen.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Boy, am I having problems. :unsure:

While tis loading the waypoints to my Nuvi 260W, it comes up with 14 error pop-ups. Seven are identical ~

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Garmin\sox.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

The other seven error pop-ups are almost identical ~

"Unable to convert C:\gsak\POI_Loader\Default/Traditional-Other TourGuide.wav to the proper format, therefore this audio file will not be transferred to your GPS device."

Replace "Traditional-Other" with each type of cache/

That's just the beginning of the problems. When I unplugged the GPS from the USB cable, I go into "All Categories" but, tis not listing all categories; tis only listing the Corrected TourGuide. I know tis as I only have five corrected caches in that category, and that's all that shows when I go into all categories.

I am also still not getting a pop-up at the top of the screen alert or (obviously, with all the .wav file errors) the audio alerts when I am within 1000 feet (my set option) of a cache I have not found.

I also noticed earlier (before upgrading to version 4.4) that caches found AND not found were NOT showing up on the map when I got within range of them.

If you need screenshots of my settings or anything else, please let me know and I will take some. Thank you for an awesome macro,

Firstly, great work on this macro. You've done Pilotsnipes proud - I'm sure. Secondly, great work (see a trend?)

Anyway... I've been following along here - and all seems to be working very well - except that I can seem to stop the macro from overwriting MY icons.

I have my own 24x24 that I prefer to use but I can't seem to keep them. I don't know if it's because of an updated macro or whatnot. Sometimes, I *think* I'm all set - but get errors and eventually fail the macro due to not being able to find xxx.bmp.

Very frustrating to say the least. I ve tried the check box to use my own icons - but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a list of icons that the macro creates? And how can I stop the macros icons?

Thanks,

Steve

I have the same experience, so what I do, is to run the macro without disabling the built-in icons. Also, I do not run the POILoader in silent mode. So, when the macro in finished, I replace the icon bitmap files in the folder created under POI_Loader folder, and then I run POILoder. Your own icons must have the the same filename as the built-in's.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve - be sure to put your custom icons in ....gsakTemp, they will need to be named the same as ones created by the macro.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve - be sure to put your custom icons in ....gsakTemp, they will need to be named the same as ones created by the macro.

I have tried to put my custom icons in Temp, but have experienced that this folder gets empty ??

Yes, I was able to see the images on my 660. They were on the splash screen in the upper right corner (not after pressing "More" but on the initial cache page). I could then press the picture and get a full screen image (well 70% of the screen).

I did not have any Image button which is why I was confused when that was mentioned.

Edit: I just reloaded the 6xx.gpi file on my nuvi 660 and tried again - just to be sure I wasn't seeing things before. Not knowing for sure how it was intended to get the .gpi to the nuvi, I just copied the .gpi directly to the poi folder on the nuvi. Then booted the nuvi.

I now have the following categories at the first selection screen: All categories, Nuvi, Earth Tourguide, Event Tourguide etc. Nuvi is my database and if I select that I go to the category list for that database. But, if I choose Earth, Event, etc, I go to the 6xx.gpi folders of your sample caches.

Examples:

Under Earth Tourguide I have "LlenrocEarthca/Ear/U/2-1". Selecting that gives me the initial splash screen. Green arrow is upper left followed by the title (same as the list screen). To it's right is the small image (a thumbnail, if you wish) of the associated picture (above the big green "Go!". Pressing that image give a full screen image of what looks like a construction site with a worker in the center.

Selecting Event, I have cache called WellsboroGeoca/Eve/U/1-1. Again the thumbnail is present. Image is a portrait picture of the fall colors in a mountainous region.

I guess the thumbnail is equivalent to the "Image" button that others are referring to. I have a thumbnail instead.

The orientation of the picture (landscape/portrait) determines if I have full screen or not. Landscape is better because the nuvi is widescreen.

Good!! Then the macro should be working for you on the 660....is it?

Boy, am I having problems. :mad:

While tis loading the waypoints to my Nuvi 260W, it comes up with 14 error pop-ups. Seven are identical ~

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Garmin\sox.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

"Unable to convert C:\gsak\POI_Loader\Default/Traditional-Other TourGuide.wav to the proper format, therefore this audio file will not be transferred to your GPS device."

That's just the beginning of the problems. When I unplugged the GPS from the USB cable, I go into "All Categories" but, tis not listing all categories; tis only listing the Corrected TourGuide. I know tis as I only have five corrected caches in that category, and that's all that shows when I go into all categories.

I am also still not getting a pop-up at the top of the screen alert or (obviously, with all the .wav file errors) the audio alerts when I am within 1000 feet (my set option) of a cache I have not found.

I also noticed earlier (before upgrading to version 4.4) that caches found AND not found were NOT showing up on the map when I got within range of them.

If you need screenshots of my settings or anything else, please let me know and I will take some. Thank you for an awesome macro,

Upgrade to 4.4.1 to fix the missing "sox" error.

<snip>

I have tried to put my custom icons in Temp, but have experienced that this folder gets empty ??

The macro creates and never deletes any files in the gsak\Temp folder. Let's test this on your machine:

1) delete the .bmp, .mp3 or .wav and .zip from gsak\Temp.

2) run the macro with the use custom icons deselected.

The macro should recreate the files you deleted.

3) Repeat step 1

4) run the macro with the use custom icons selected.

The macro should give you errors about the missing files. (If your custom files were there it would proceed without error)

5) Repeat step 2

6) Replace the icons in ..gsak\Temp with your custom symbols named the same

7) Repeat step 4

This should be working.....at least it does on my machine. If gsak\Temp is getting deleted is there another macro that you are using that is doing that?

EDIT: VER 4.5 and above

Note re: custom symbols and alerts - Symbols must be placed in gsak\TourGuide_Tools which is the "master location" for the symbols used by the macro. It copies these to the individual database folders as needed and deletes any old symbols found (in the DB folders).

Custom alerts must be handled differently. They should be placed in the database folders. The reason for this is that there was a request for speaking alerts "Traditional ahead" "Multi Ahead" etc. so each DB folder could possibly have multiple custom alert files and one custom master alert in this case would not work.

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

The macro creates and never deletes any files in the gsak\Temp folder. Let's test this on your machine:

1) delete the .bmp, .mp3 or .wav and .zip from gsak\Temp.

2) run the macro with the use custom icons deselected.

The macro should recreate the files you deleted.

3) Repeat step 1

4) run the macro with the use custom icons selected.

The macro should give you errors about the missing files. (If your custom files were there it would proceed without error)

5) Repeat step 2

6) Replace the icons in ..gsak\Temp with your custom symbols named the same

7) Repeat step 4

This should be working.....at least it does on my machine. If gsak\Temp is getting deleted is there another macro that you are using that is doing that?

Currently, there is nothing in the Temp folder except the file SplitScreen.htm, and the subfolders SpoilerSync, waypoints and zip. I will test more later.

<snip>

Currently, there is nothing in the Temp folder except the file SplitScreen.htm, and the subfolders SpoilerSync, waypoints and zip. I will test more later.

Please search your computer for TourGuideTools.zip and let me know where you find it (path). Thanks.

<snip>

I have just tested the macro with spoiler images on the Oregon 300, and, as for the Colorado, there is NO "Image" button.

Cache O'Plenty reports that the 660 has a thumbnail pic rather than the "Image" button:

Examples:

Could Colorado and Oregon users download a sample .gpi file from http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/betatest and check to see if you have the thumbnail (or some other way to display the image?) Thanks

Examples:

Good!! Then the macro should be working for you on the 660....is it?

The macro works for the 660 in the sense that it does download all of the GPX, MP3 and BMP files. Essentially, it gives the same result as version 3.6.

But the POI Loader doesn't seem to combine the images in the POI_Loader folder with the GPX files. So, i do not get the images loaded. Whatever mechanism created the 6xx.gpi in the samples is not being invoked when generating the .gpi to the nuvi. Maybe it's a POIL function that is screwy.

<snip>

Please search your computer for TourGuideTools.zip and let me know where you find it (path). Thanks.

I have run the whole sequence, and the Temp folder gets empty when GSAK is restarted.

As soon as the macro is started, the Temp is populated with all the jpg, bmp, mp3, sox.exe and TourGuideTools.zip

Edited by Catch

nuvi 660 results. This is after copying the 6xx.gpi to the nuvi from the samples page.

Finally figured out how to take snapshots of the nuvi and upload to this forum:

This is what I get at the cache splashscreen:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/splenty/61.jpg

If I press the thumbnail, I get:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/splenty/72.jpg

And the actual cache description after pressing "More":

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/splenty/88.jpg

<snip>

I have run the whole sequence, and the Temp folder gets empty when GSAK is restarted.

As soon as the macro is started, the Temp is populated with all the jpg, bmp, mp3, sox.exe and TourGuideTools.zip

I am going to change the storage location for the TourGuide files. I should have known better than to use a GSAK system folder, I had reservations when I did it. Apparently GSAK is deleting the Temp folder in some installations. I will post an update. Thanks for finding this, I'm sure others are having the same problem.

Boy, am I having problems. :ph34r:

Upgrade to 4.4.1 to fix the missing "sox" error.

Yay! It seems to be working again (so far). I have an unfound cache within 1000 feet of where I live, and it dinged and pop-uped both of the notifications.

But, now I'm getting an error message during the first part of the macro (before it sends the caches to GPS) ~

"Multi Std.bmp not found."

Looks like the multi icon for the map isn't working now. meh As long as everything else works, I'm happy for now. :mad: My "all categories" does indeed show all categories once again. That was a big pain during a caching trip with a friend today. I couldn't just look there for the closest cache.

Thank you for fixing the macro enough to work for now! ;) I appreciate all the work you've put into tis.

<snip>

I am going to change the storage location for the TourGuide files. I should have known better than to use a GSAK system folder, I had reservations when I did it. Apparently GSAK is deleting the Temp folder in some installations. I will post an update. Thanks for finding this, I'm sure others are having the same problem.

Man - I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was going 'round and 'round with this. I should have spoken up sooner! I'll have to check this out when I get home. Thanks for the quick work!

Steve

Ok - here's one...

Does the "Update" macro button work? It just sits there after I press it. I have to cancel it, then <CTRL-ALT-DEL> and kill GSAK. I can manually start Firefox and navigate to the page and download it *much* faster. Am I the only one that sees this - or am I too impatient?

Steve

Ok - here's one...

Does the "Update" macro button work? It just sits there after I press it. I have to cancel it, then <CTRL-ALT-DEL> and kill GSAK. I can manually start Firefox and navigate to the page and download it *much* faster. Am I the only one that sees this - or am I too impatient?

Steve

It's not fully automatic if that is what you're expecting......

IF you're connected to the internet pressing update will do (should do) one of 2 things:

1 - Tell you the macro is up-to-date or

2 - Tell you "New Version Aavailable" - if available and you click "Get Update" the macro opens the download page for you in your browser. It may not pop up in the foreground, but should be there. That's it. You have to click the download link and save or install.

If it is freezing gsak then there is another bug roaming about that doesn't show up here. We can work on it next week. PM me after the weekend and we'll try to debug it on your machine.

<snip>

Whatever mechanism created the 6xx.gpi in the samples is not being invoked when generating the .gpi to the nuvi. Maybe it's a POIL function that is screwy.

I used the advanced macro Ver 4.0 with the spoiler add-on Ver. 1.0 to generate the samples from a database I created that had all spoiler pics. I just renamed POI.gpi after each run. Not every cache has a picture. Look for a GC<code>.jpg in the download folder and check that cache on the GPSr. It should be there.

Quick check: Make a small database with spoiler(s), generate the .gpi from the GPX through POIL with and without spoilers. Compare the file sizes. POI.gpi will be larger if spoiler pics are in there.

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

Whatever mechanism created the 6xx.gpi in the samples is not being invoked when generating the .gpi to the nuvi. Maybe it's a POIL function that is screwy.

I used the advanced macro Ver 4.0 with the spoiler add-on Ver. 1.0 to generate the samples from a database I created that had all spoiler pics. I just renamed POI.gpi after each run. Not every cache has a picture. Look for a GC<code>.jpg in the download folder and check that cache on the GPSr. It should be there.

That's exactly what I've done. Most of the file names have some sort of caption within it's name but I tried both GC# only filenames and the ones with longer names.

SpoilerSync Version 1.0.27 and most current Macro version (4.4.1, I think). It's running now, refreshing all of the spoilers found.

Odd that I did get a few .jpg files with a 0 size.

Can (should) I just delete everything from the POI_Loader folder and start over (this might get rid of some bad files from previous attempts).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

<snip>

Can (should) I just delete everything from the POI_Loader folder and start over (this might get rid of some bad files from previous attempts).

I would start with a clean slate. If you find GC<code> - <blah, blah, blah>..jpg there was more than one spoiler for that code. I asked before - the only idea I have for these is to create a special child type because AFAIK you can only have one image per POI. I would give these a transparent sysmbol that hopefully wouldn't interfere with the GC symbol since they would need to have the same coordinates as the parent in order to show up together on the list screen. Comments?

I just ran it against a different database and got just one .jpg. It's named "GCBBE6 - SPOILER! Cache Location.jpg"

I'm going to run the rest of the macro with this file in POIL (name unchanged) and see what happens. If it works, great. If not, I'll delete the extra info and rename it just the GC# and try again.

Again, I got lots of .jpg files for many of the caches in the other database. If the above works, I'll just take out all files named more than just the GC#.

Have a great few days off. We will survive!

Nope - didn't do it. I have the new category for the new database in the nuvi now. Something changed the file name and rename it to just the GC#. Still don't have the thumbnail or image. I even pressed where the image thumbnail should have been.

Oh well, will keep at it. There must be some checkbox that you had marked that I don't (or vice versa).

Ver. 4.5 The working folder for the POI symbols, soundfiles, and SpoilerSync is now ...gsak\TourGuide_Tools

If you use the spoilersync macro it must be updated as well.

Go here and here.

Multi-Std error is fixed too.

I have copied the icon bmp's into theGSAK/TourGuide_Tools folder, but the macro reports that the bmp's are not found. There is no other files in this folder either. Should all the files that earlier was copied into the Temp folder now be copied to the TourGuide_Tools folder ?

Since a few versions back, a CMD window has started to flash and moving down-right during the "Preparing Spoiler Picture" phase. When reaching picture #1900, the window is closed, and CMD is only blinking on the taskbar, as before. When the CMD window is flashing, it is very difficult to work on the PC.

Since a few versions back, a CMD window has started to flash and moving down-right during the "Preparing Spoiler Picture" phase. When reaching picture #1900, the window is closed, and CMD is only blinking on the taskbar, as before. When the CMD window is flashing, it is very difficult to work on the PC.

Fixed. Pls upgrade to 4.5.1

Nope - didn't do it. I have the new category for the new database in the nuvi now. Something changed the file name and rename it to just the GC#. Still don't have the thumbnail or image. I even pressed where the image thumbnail should have been.

Oh well, will keep at it. There must be some checkbox that you had marked that I don't (or vice versa).

Try this poi.gpi. It was created with the latest version of the macro.

<snip>

I have copied the icon bmp's into theGSAK/TourGuide_Tools folder, but the macro reports that the bmp's are not found. There is no other files in this folder either. Should all the files that earlier was copied into the Temp folder now be copied to the TourGuide_Tools folder ?

Did you get it working? No need to manually copy any of the files supplied w/ the macro. Should be automatic.

Try this poi.gpi. It was created with the latest version of the macro.

Nothing seems to be there at that url. I get your shared file site but no files are listed.

<snip>

Did you get it working? No need to manually copy any of the files supplied w/ the macro. Should be automatic.

No, as soon as I choose "Disable Built-In Icons" I get the bmp not found messages.

Is it so that when Built-In Icons is disabled, the macro looks for and uses the icon bmp's in the TourGuide_Tools folder ?. If yes, I guess the filenames is important ?

As an example, I get not found on Reference_Point.bmp

Catch pls run the macro one time with "disable built-in" UNchecked. It should establish everything it needs in TourGuide_Tools.

Then check disable and substitute the .bmp files with the exact same name 16x16 or 24x24 bitmaps.

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

Is it so that when Built-In Icons is disabled, the macro looks for and uses the icon bmp's in the TourGuide_Tools folder ?. If yes, I guess the filenames is important ?

As an example, I get not found on Reference_Point.bmp

YES and very YES

Catch pls run the macro one time with "disable built-in" UNchecked. It should establish everything it needs in TourGuide_Tools.

Then check disable and substitute the .bmp files with the exact same name 16x16 or 24x24 bitmaps.

Done. When "disable built-in" is UNchecked, I have to stop and restart GSAK, else the "bmp not found" messages is still there.

I then made sure that all my 24x24 bmp filenames is the same as the built-In, and I replaced the files in the TourGuide_Tools folder. I then checked the "disable built-In", and started the macro again. I still gets the bmp nor found messages. I also tried to restart GSAK, but in this case it makes no difference..

<snip>

Nothing seems to be there at that url. I get your shared file site but no files are listed.

try from here.

Ok. I downloaded the "new" 6xx.gpi and copied it directly into my nuvi into the \Garmin\poi folder. Booted my nuvi and opened the categories. Only a couple this time (Multi and Mystery) but both caches I checked had the thumbnail available and was able to enlarge them.

The .gpi file created on my nuvi by POIL still does not have pictures though.

The folder created by the macro (\GSAK\POI_Loader\Nuvi contains lots of .jpg files as well as the three Tourguide files for each cache type. But there is no .gpi file. How was the .gpi file (6xx) created? Did you use POIL to install to a nuvi and then copy the resulting .gpi from the nuvi to the website? If so, my POIL is not assimilating the .jpg files into the .gpi file. I'm using version version 2.5.2.0.

==================

Update: I did some research of the .gpx file (my small one with just one .jpg spoiler) using Mapsource and found that the URL/file reference already showed the right .jpg file associated with the waypoint. However, the full path to the file wasn't called out. I specified the full path and saved the .gpx file over the other one. Then reloaded using POIL. Now the picture/image shows correctly in my nuvi on the splash page.

So, that seems to be where the problem is - full path to the .jpg. Now, how can I get the macro to prepend the full path for all the .jpg files in the large database?

========

Update 6:24pm - Tried resetting the default path in Mapsource but that didn't work in the big database. Had to manually adjust it for one of the waypoints with a matching .jpg. And it worked. Now to get the macro to do it......

Edited by Cache O'Plenty