Advanced Nuvi Macro

Those using the spoiler option pls upgrade the spoiler macro to ver 1.1 using the update button. Let me know if the missing folder problem is fixed or if you get an error message. Thanks. I'll be away for about 8-10 hrs.

Updating using the button did just return and not perform any update.

I upgraded by downloading fro you page instead..

after the spoiler macro ran ok, te main export macro now sits for quite a while (so far 10 mins) saying

'preparing to Export - Please Wait'. Is that normal? There is no indicator of progress..

Upgraded to 1.1 of the Spoiler Macro via your webpage as the "Update" button returned a subscript error. First run resulted in an error that said that the "...GSAK\TEMP\SPOILERSYNC folder not created...". I created one manually and then reran the macro. It now is evaluating all of the waypoints and identifying spoilers/no spoilers.

Edit: Still running, 48% done after 5 minutes. Looks like it's doing it's thing. ("It" being SpoilerSync).

Edit - 2: At 70% (+/-) I got the dreaded BSOD. This was just about the right time for an "idle time out". don't know if that's the problem though. System now reports a problem with a FILE named "C:\Program" and asked for it to be renamed. Turns out to be a folder called "C:\Program". Not sure if this is a result of the macro but it occurred after I ran version 1.0 last night. SpoilerSync is now rerunning all the cache numbers. This may be due to large size databases (mine is 5000+ now). If I keep doing something else on the PC, the idle timeout may be avoided. It's now at 83% and running faster.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

after the spoiler macro ran ok, te main export macro now sits for quite a while (so far 10 mins) saying

'preparing to Export - Please Wait'. Is that normal? There is no indicator of progress..

I deleted my 'nuvi' database, repopulated it with waypoints, also deleted the ...\gsak\Temp\SpoilerSync\* files, then ran the macro again.

The filenames of the pics are quite often strange:

GC1AT51 - no spoiler found 0KB Text Document

GC1DGV2 - 1 61kb JPD File

GC1D73B - )}else if((brow(VersionScript srchtpbbanman5.grou 48kb JPEG File

GCKHAV - takes out lightsaber!Swish, slash, Swish!HAHA!mis 251kb JPED File

etc

Is that a spoilersync bug ?

It ran all the way through, created the files (.jpg and .txt) in the GSAK\POI_Loader\<database name> folder. The .txt files all have the name of "GC# plus - no spoiler found.txt". The .jpg files all have the name "GC# plus text that appears to come from the description on the cache page. Many of them include illegal characters for a file name but they seem to open OK in Adobe Photoshop Album (that's not my normal viewer but that's what opens now).

Oh, BTW - the macro doesn't seem to remember where SpoilerSync is located after the first run - have to repoint it each time. Also, macro doesn't remember last database processed, either.

Edit @ 12:37pm. - finally got all the pictures into the POI_Loader folder but now the Advanced Macro hangs on "Preparing to Export" (30 minutes +). Gave up and deleted all but just a couple picture files and fixed their names. That didn't help. Still hung. So, I unchecked the Advanced option to use spoiler and the macro ran but didn't load any of the remaining pictures.

So. I'm giving up for now.....

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Yes SpoilerSync does create lots of files but the macro will use what it needs by renaming them and linking them to the POI. Check the summary option to get rid of all of the not found files. We don't use those anyway. The preparing to export message should be followed by processing picture #1, #2, #3, etc.

The macro runs a dir cmd sending the output to a text file of all of the .jpg files found by SpoilerSync using a batch command. I suspect this is also failing on some systems.

The delay option in the SpoilerSync program is to prevent (I suspect) a denial of service due to too many hits too fast from the same IP address to Geocaching.com. Test this macro out with a small dataset 50-100 records to get a feel for how it works. A large database which is causing repeated hits will probably need a 5 sec delay? or more between hits to prevent the Geocaching.com server from blocking your IP.

To get the SpoilerSync macro to remember the settings:

1) upgrade to ver 1.2 (restricts a stand-alone run)

2) run the SS macro from the advanced options form

3) make your settings and select return

4) return from the advanced settings page will save the defaults

Now for those who are having problems - if you are getting the "<<<Command Error>>>" message please check for upgrades on both macros. Error checking logic for the cmd function problem has been added.

Edited by jjreds

Is that a spoilersync bug ?

ANyway, after running spoilersync succesfully (module the file naming above), the 4.1.2 macro ran on continuosly overnight. I killed it. For the first 20 mins or so it said 'preparing...' (see my earlier msg), that message disappeared but nothing more happened later. It ran for at least 8 hours before I killed it. something must still be wrong.

ANyway, after running spoilersync succesfully (module the file naming above), the 4.1.2 macro ran on continuosly overnight. I killed it. For the first 20 mins or so it said 'preparing...' (see my earlier msg), that message disappeared but nothing more happened later. It ran for at least 8 hours before I killed it. something must still be wrong.

SO I upgraded the SpoileSYync Macro to 1.2 (still no automatic upgrade from the macro itself using the upgrade button, had to download again from you page) and re-ran 4.1.2, reran the SS marco fine.

After returning from the advanced options, the 4.1.2 macro still hangs with 'Preparing '...

I guess I will nuke my nuvi DB and its directories and try it again from scratch.

M

If the spoiler sync macro is working on your machine the status message will keep you informed of the progress. Any signs of a hang or freeze indicate the cmd problem. Since it's not broke here, until someone steps up and offers to test, there's not much I can do to help.

I'd be happy to test more if you tell me how?

Here is one more data point.

I find that the macro also at some point creates

C:\Program Files\gsak\Files\gsak\Temp\POI_Loader

^^^^^^

So there seems to be a PATH issue here. That directory is emtpy

however..

I had deleted it before my last run but it just got recreated after I nuked my nuvi DB and ran everything again

Sorry even using the CODE BB element does not make indents turn out right.

C:\Program Files\gsak\Files\gsak\Temp\POI_Loader

ie, there's a 'Files' subfolder below gsak which looks like you didn't quote 'Program Files' somewhere (necessary due to the space?

Edited by sejtam
RUNPGM pgm="cmd.exe" parms="/C mkdir $GSAK_Temp_Folder" Wait=Yes Hide=yes

I can't quite undersatnd how "/C mkdir $GSAK_Temp_Folder" will run under a command line. Does not the mkdir command need to be first? And if I understanh teh GSAK help, are you supposed to be using double quotes?

Have you tried deleting those folders first, then running the macro?

RUNPGM pgm="cmd.exe" parms="/C mkdir $GSAK_Temp_Folder" Wait=Yes Hide=yes

I can't quite undersatnd how "/C mkdir $GSAK_Temp_Folder" will run under a command line. Does not the mkdir command need to be first? And if I understanh teh GSAK help, are you supposed to be using double quotes?

No, 'cmd.exe /C ...' executes the given command and then exits.

But I suspect it should be

RUNPGM pgm="cmd.exe" parms="/C mkdir '$GSAK_Temp_Folder'" Wait=Yes Hide=yes

(note the extra quotes)

because here I get two new folders created

C:\Program

and C:\Program Files\gsak\Files\gsak\POI_Loader\nuvi

which tells me that mkdir splits the given path at the space and created two directories !

Edited by sejtam

OK, I see that now too. It created C:\Program..... XP does not like that...... It complains when you boot the computer.

So anyway, after manually making the directories, Spoilersync ran and the pictures are in the POI directory as they should be. When I go back to run the POI macro, it hangs with no progress indication.

It seems to be stuck in this routine:

WHILE NOT ($line="End")
	FileRead File=$Msg
	IF NOT ($line="End")
		IF RegEx("spoiler",$line)
			$File1=$_Install+"\POI_Loader\"+$DB+"\"+$line
			IF FileExists($File1)
				$File2=TRIM(EXTRACT($line,"-",1))+".jpg"
				$Msg="/C ren "+quote($File1)+" $File2"	
				SHOWSTATUS msg="Preparing Spoiler Picture #$Count - Please Wait" WIDTH=300
				RUNPGM pgm="cmd.exe" parms=$Msg Wait=Yes Hide=Yes
				$Count=$Count+1
			ENDIF
		ENDIF
	ENDIF
	ENDREAD
ENDWHILE

which tells me that mkdir splits the given path at the space and created two directories !

after fixing the quoting for mkdir, I now get

sp5ur5.th.png

so there seem to be further places where the space wreaks havoc

Edited by sejtam

I think I have fixed all the places where the space was causing problems. You will need to upgrade both macros.

Yes, I'm aware of all the crazy names generated by SS. The macro has it handled once you get it to work.

I think I have fixed all the places where the space was causing problems. You will need to upgrade both macros.

Thanks. seems to work now. One minor niggle. I found that one cache (which has a picture) is never added to the gsak\temp\spoilersync\<db>.gsak file and thus its spoiler pics are not loaded.

The cache is GC15WAP.

I have found this cache, but I selected 'include found caches'.

I also disabled 'ignore pictures with no/not spoiler' so that should not be the issue.

Final question: it seems we are still limited to one pic per cache?

Thanks. seems to work now. One minor niggle. I found that one cache (which has a picture) is never added to the gsak\temp\spoilersync\<db>.gsak file and thus its spoiler pics are not loaded.

The cache is GC15WAP.

I have found this cache, but I selected 'include found caches'.

I also disabled 'ignore pictures with no/not spoiler' so that should not be the issue.

Final question: it seems we are still limited to one pic per cache?

The logic is to load spoilers for not found, not archived, and not temp disabled.

I do not know if there is any way to associate multiple pics with a POI in the GPSr. I tried a few different variations but each time I got the dreaded "invalid file" message from POIL. So the macro makes 2 passes through the pictures, first pass gives priority to any pic with "spoiler" in the name, second pass assigns any remaining pic to a POI that doesn't have one yet. As you know there can be many other pictures, I have seen 15 and more associated with a single cache.

At this point, the only way to load all of the pictures would be to add any remaining as child waypoints. Before I do that, I would want some feedback from the forum.

NOTE: Colorado users - Firmware ver 2.60 does not provide an option to display the image.

Edited by jjreds

The logic is to load spoilers for not found, not archived, and not temp disabled.

Could that be changed or get a separate preference (load spoilers for found caches)?

I do not know if there is any way to associate multiple pics with a POI in the GPSr. I tried a few different variations but each time I got the dreaded "invalid file" message from POIL. So the macro makes 2 passes through the pictures, first pass gives priority to any pic with "spoiler" in the name, second pass assigns any remaining pic to a POI that doesn't have one yet. As you know there can be many other pictures, I have seen 15 and more associated with a single cache.

At this point, the only way to load all of the pictures would be to add any remaining as child waypoints. Before I do that, I would want some feedback from the forum.

Right. I think child waypoints would be ok. ALternatively maybe a way could

be found to simply add those pictured to a folder on the nuvi so that one can view the additional

pics using the picture viewer app of the nuvi

Could that be changed or get a separate preference (load spoilers for found caches)?

Right. I think child waypoints would be ok. ALternatively maybe a way could

be found to simply add those pictured to a folder on the nuvi so that one can view the additional

pics using the picture viewer app of the nuvi

OK, cool. Works fine now.

FYI, the image linking does not seem to work on a Colorado. They do not give the "image" button anywhere. Maybe it will work on an Oregon. Works fine on my Nuvi.

Thanks for all of the work.

FYI, the image linking does not seem to work on a Colorado. They do not give the "image" button anywhere. Maybe it will work on an Oregon. Works fine on my Nuvi.

I have just tested the macro with spoiler images on the Oregon 300, and, as for the Colorado, there is NO "Image" button.

Edited by Catch

I have just tested the macro with spoiler images on the Oregon 300, and, as for the Colorado, there is now "Image" button.

Can you post a screenshot of the colorado "image" button? It doesn't seem to work for me. What firmware are you running on the colorado?

One other thing who did you order your Orergon 300 through? Every site I have seen them on is all pre-orders.

Edited by storm180

I have just tested the macro with spoiler images on the Oregon 300, and, as for the Colorado, there is now "Image" button.

Can you post a screenshot of the colorado "image" button? It doesn't seem to work for me. What firmware are you running on the colorado?

One other thing who did you order your Orergon 300 through? Every site I have seen them on is all pre-orders.

Sorry, there was a type in my last post, "now" should be "NO".

The Oregon 300 has been available in all GPS shops here in Norway, since July 18.

Sorry, there was a type in my last post, "now" should be "NO".

The Oregon 300 has been available in all GPS shops here in Norway, since July 18.

Weird they are still on pre-order here in the US. Ok thanks for clarifying the typo. Thats a bummer that the oregon nor the colorado can do the Image button thing. I was looking forward to that.

finally finished loading new versions of both macros and ran them against my database. Everything seemed to go smoothly. GSAK\POI_Loader now has LOTS of pictures in it and most of the file names have been fixed to delete the extra spaces before the ".jpg". Some of them still have the narrative after the GC# though.

Ran the macro to create the GPX files and that all worked just fine. Folder has all the right GPX, MP3 and BMP files. I made sure the checkbox was checked on the Advanced Page. It showed the processing of Picture #1, #2, etc.

Ran the POIL with no problems and all caches seem to have loaded.

But, I have no pictures on any caches. I cross checked the picture names (the GC#) and then checked the nuvi for that cache. No pictures.

Must have done something wrong. Any ideas?

But, I have no pictures on any caches. I cross checked the picture names (the GC#) and then checked the nuvi for that cache. No pictures.

Must have done something wrong. Any ideas?

Did you select the "Image" button in the "More" area?

I have no "Image" button in the "More" area for any caches. Where is it suppposed to appear? In the splash screen above the "Go!" button? Or after I press "More" (in the description page)?

In the samples, they appeared on the splash screen to the right of the title line and just above the "Go!" button.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

What I'm saying is the 660 is an "old" model. One of the first Nuvis to be built, so may not have the same features as the newer units.

AFAIK, all that the unit choice does is to determine the maximum allowable characters in the POI.

I've upgraded to the latest macro but, now I do not get any notification when I'm within 1000 feet of caches. I checked to make sure that option tis selected as TourGuide, the distance as 1000 and feet. What happened ? I was getting the notifications just fine before upgrading the macro. :D I miss my notifications! I do not get the ding or the popup at the top of the screen telling me which cache tis within 1000 feet anymore. I'm using a Garmin Nuvi 260W. Can anyone please help me fix tis ?

Thank you,

Did you upgrade from version 4.0 or earlier? If so, I thought I had the same problem too. But, in the interim (version 4.1, I think), the "ding" has been quieted quite a bit and I didn't hear them either (car window was open a bit!!). As I paid more attention, a much softer "ding" happens. Depending on the zoom level, the icon might be out of range of the screen on some of them. I missed a few too but did notice that most of them did pop up.

Sort of wish the "ding" was selectable (for those times the wife isn't there to complain).

I'm pretty sure tis not working for me. I don' even get the little pop-up at the top of the screen anymore, like I used to. I did have an older version, and just upgraded to the newest one last night (computer was dead for a couple days). Tis there any way to change the ding back to being louder ? I'm partially deaf. I liked the loud ding. :D Thank you,

Version 4.3 is broke.

Just installed 4.3. It now processes about 90 pictures and then quits (there are many more pictures in the folder). It also erases all the old GPX files and then quits. No new GPX files are created.

Version 4.3 worked on first attempt here, but caches placed by me are still shown on the map and are alerted. (Nuvi 760)

"Include Owned Caches ?" are not ticked.

Version 4.3 is broke.

Just installed 4.3. It now processes about 90 pictures and then quits (there are many more pictures in the folder). It also erases all the old GPX files and then quits. No new GPX files are created.

Nope - it's still broke here for the 660. No GPX files generated. The old ones were erased so I'm dead in the water. Tried both ways, with the pictures option and without. Even deleted the macro and reloaded it. Any other ideas?

I even tried running it against a much smaller GSAK database and it didn't even create the new folder (you know, with the database name).

Or, can I get back to 4.2?

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Sorry gang~ Put your GCID (or any character) in the GCID field or upgrade - fixed in ver 4.3.1 and above.

I have just upgraded to 4.3.1, and all my owned/placed caches is still in the list of POIs, and on the map. I have not tested the alert yet.

I have just upgraded to 4.3.1, and all my owned/placed caches is still in the list of POIs, and on the map. I have not tested the alert yet.

I cannot duplicate this. Please test by sending one owned cache to a new database, run the macro with owned not selected and see if any gpx file is generated in the new database folder.

POI Loader could be loading them from another gpx file or you may have multiple .gpi files on your GPSr.

I cannot duplicate this. Please test by sending one owned cache to a new database, run the macro with owned not selected and see if any gpx file is generated in the new database folder.

POI Loader could be loading them from another gpx file or you may have multiple .gpi files on your GPSr.

What I did as a test right now, was to replace "Catch" with my GC ID, 1183952, in the POI Export window, "Owned by (ID)", and now I can not see my placed caches. I will do some more tests, but this looks great. THANKS :unsure:

Edited by Catch

If you saw previous post, please ignore.

Read the version notes and saw that 4.3.1 addressed the "No GPXs generated" issue so I've updated to the latest (now 4.3.4). It now runs properly in generating GPX files.

However, the picture function still doesn't do anything for the 660. Is that right? That the 660 doesn't have the capability for an image button or the display of associated pictures? The downloaded sample file had pictures so I assumed it was generated by this macro somehow.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Great Macro - Nuvi 760 User Report

<snip>

Why is the Child waypoint icons the same as the parent icon. I think it is better to have the "right" icons for e.g. Parking, Reference Point, Trailhead and so on..

<snip>

Corrected in ver 4.4