Advanced Nuvi Macro

I am on version 3.3.10.

GSAK 7.2.2.23

I know of at least two caches that are not being loaded when I execute the Macro for my 660. The first one is TALL PINE GC1DC8F and the other one is The Run Around GC19W9D. Notice that the name of TALL PINE is all caps and The Run Around is Bold. Don't know if other caches are omitted but these are not being transfer to the 660 and they are in the PQ installed in GSAK.

Maybe some others can check to see if their with this type are being omitted. I noticed it last week on an earlier version but was not sure until today.

Thanks

Edited for additional Facts:

I am using %ShortName=14 %typ1%con1 %dif1a%ter1a %last4 in the Advanced mode which could have something to do with it. I found that The Run Around cache is actually in the 660 if you select Multi version and not all Categories on the 660 for display. When selecting All Categories The TALL PINE cache is not displayed. I also transfered this same POI, PQ to my GPS60CSx and GSAK transfers one more cache than the 660. If I learn anything new I will post.

More facts:

I also notice that the missing cache has corrected coordinates. Again not sure if that has anything to do with it. I manually changed the name and removed all Caps from the title and that did not help. I then opened the Traditional Tour Guide.gpx file (created by the Macro) with Notepad and found the TALL PINE cache was not included in the file.

Edited by Leftygator

I was using the version located HERE and didn't even realize there was this updated and much improved version!

I installed the new version and it's pretty dang cool. It works great for my geocaches but I'm having problems with a couple of custom POI databases that I tried to use with the macro. Specifically, the Public Campgrounds POI and the State and Federal Campgrounds POI - both from POI Factory. The macro runs but, when I try to load the resultant files using POI Loader I get an error that they aren't valid files. The older version of the macro worked fine with the same files. Do I need to use the new macro for geocaches and stick to the older version for custom POI files?

I'm going to PM you with my email addy so you can send me your gsak data that is causing the problem.

I am on version 3.3.10.

GSAK 7.2.2.23

I know of at least two caches that are not being loaded when I execute the Macro for my 660. The first one is TALL PINE GC1DC8F and the other one is The Run Around GC19W9D. Notice that the name of TALL PINE is all caps and The Run Around is Bold. Don't know if other caches are omitted but these are not being transfer to the 660 and they are in the PQ installed in GSAK.

Maybe some others can check to see if their with this type are being omitted. I noticed it last week on an earlier version but was not sure until today.

Thanks

Edited for additional Facts:

I am using %ShortName=14 %typ1%con1 %dif1a%ter1a %last4 in the Advanced mode which could have something to do with it. I found that The Run Around cache is actually in the 660 if you select Multi version and not all Categories on the 660 for display. When selecting All Categories The TALL PINE cache is not displayed. I also transfered this same POI, PQ to my GPS60CSx and GSAK transfers one more cache than the 660. If I learn anything new I will post.

More facts:

I also notice that the missing cache has corrected coordinates. Again not sure if that has anything to do with it. I manually changed the name and removed all Caps from the title and that did not help. I then opened the Traditional Tour Guide.gpx file (created by the Macro) with Notepad and found the TALL PINE cache was not included in the file.

Sending you a PM. Need your data for testing.

I just noted your latest update to the macro is ver. 3.3.12. I missed 3.3.11 entirely but as soon as I saw what it did, I had to try it out! Update history says "3.3.11 Caches with corrected coordinates now loading in category "Corrected". Might change this later to put them with their type. Depends on feedback."

Well, here's my feedback! Perfect!!!! Don't change it! The "Corrected" feature is just what I needed to segregate solved puzzles from the rest of the pile. Of course, I'm wondering what the icon chosen will be!! I just check the folder and see that there isn't a special one. What icons do we have available that say "Eureka!"

Hi

I am new to using macros. I have successfully used pilotsnipe's macro, and have enjoyed the ease of use and found the tutorial most helpful. I don't really "know' what I am doing but if I follow the instructions things seem to work (very well!!) Is there a tutorial for this macro (a "for dummies" type?). I did try and install the macro, and did successfully update my custom POI's, but do not find the buttons on my nuvi suggested by the graphics at the beginning of the thread:

61.jpg

Can you direct me to a little help?

Edited by CapeDoc

Hi

I am new to using macros. I have successfully used pilotsnipe's macro, and have enjoyed the ease of use and found the tutorial most helpful. I don't really "know' what I am doing but if I follow the instructions things seem to work (very well!!) Is there a tutorial for this macro (a "for dummies" type?). I did try and install the macro, and did successfully update my custom POI's, but do not find the buttons on my nuvi suggested by the graphics at the beginning of the thread:

61.jpg

Are you talking about the "more" button? Or are you asking how to just list the caches?

I just noted your latest update to the macro is ver. 3.3.12. I missed 3.3.11 entirely but as soon as I saw what it did, I had to try it out! Update history says "3.3.11 Caches with corrected coordinates now loading in category "Corrected". Might change this later to put them with their type. Depends on feedback."

Well, here's my feedback! Perfect!!!! Don't change it! The "Corrected" feature is just what I needed to segregate solved puzzles from the rest of the pile. Of course, I'm wondering what the icon chosen will be!! I just check the folder and see that there isn't a special one. What icons do we have available that say "Eureka!"

3.4 Corrected coordinates now display a traditional cache icon with a green checkmark. Added icons for boat ramps and campgrounds.

Hi

61.jpg

Those are database names "Benchmarks", "All Geocaches", etc. Each database will be listed individually on the Nuvi and in the case of geocaches, if there are multiple types in the data base they will be listed individually as well: "Traditional", "Multi", etc. Sorry, this macro can be difficult for beginners and no tutorial is currently available.

(Eidt) P.S. ... you might also include a Size=+2 option for us folks who can't read the screen without our glasses! :ph34r:

Ditto.

An option for enlargement of the actual cache page for old tired eyes would be nice.

I can't seem to get the Nuvi to recognize the size tag. If someone knows how I'll add the option.

(Eidt) P.S. ... you might also include a Size=+2 option for us folks who can't read the screen without our glasses! :ph34r:

Ditto.

An option for enlargement of the actual cache page for old tired eyes would be nice.

3.5 Added large text option.

jjreds - awhile back you asked if anyone was willing to work on 22x22 icons as they currently appear on the geocaching site. While I didnt create new ones, I did take the existing and resized them to 22x22 from 16x16. They look ok. If you are interested in them, let me know where to send them.

skraeling

jjreds - awhile back you asked if anyone was willing to work on 22x22 icons as they currently appear on the geocaching site. While I didnt create new ones, I did take the existing and resized them to 22x22 from 16x16. They look ok. If you are interested in them, let me know where to send them.

skraeling

sending you a PM

Corrected an issue with the large text option where the description was not displayed large when travel bugs were present. Please upgrade to ver 3.5.1 to resolve.

Thank you so much Jim. Your Macro just gets better and better and is an excellent tool for caching.

Hmm.... did you send to my email address directly or thru geocaching.com? I have had problems in the past where mail thru gc.com never makes it to me. As for the PM - where/how did you send that? I havent received that either.

try emailing me directly - bypass gc.com. sbrews at yahoo dot com.

Hmm.... did you send to my email address directly or thru geocaching.com? I have had problems in the past where mail thru gc.com never makes it to me. As for the PM - where/how did you send that? I havent received that either.

try emailing me directly - bypass gc.com. sbrews at yahoo dot com.

Took a look at the resized icons....there seems to be a fair amount of pixelation with some of them. However, I do know there have been some complaints about the treasure chest icons so they are now optional, and the standard geochaching.com icons are the default (as of ver 3.5.2). This behavior can be toggled on the advanced form page. Have a good 4th and Happy Caching to all!

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use tis macro. I was able to use Pilotsnipes' macro with no problems but, he had a step by step guide on how to set everything up. Tis there anyone who would be willing to walk me through getting tis macro to work for my Nuvi ? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

jjreds,

The new changes are awesome!

I do have one question/feature request: How difficult would it be to separate the functions of the "use my own icons and sounds" into "use my own icons" and "use my own sounds?"

I have been manually replacing the wav file every time I run the macro because the default "DING!!!!!" is way too loud on my 200w, and I'm worried it's going to blow out the speakers. If I turn the volume down, it goes so low I can't hear directions on it.

It would be nice if I could somehow set it up so that I don't have to manually change out the wav every time I set up new files to export. Or maybe if there was a manual way I could do this without having to swap the file every time, that would be cool too...

And if not - then oh well - I'll live with the extra step ;)

jjreds,

The new changes are awesome!

I do have one question/feature request: How difficult would it be to separate the functions of the "use my own icons and sounds" into "use my own icons" and "use my own sounds?"

I have been manually replacing the wav file every time I run the macro because the default "DING!!!!!" is way too loud on my 200w, and I'm worried it's going to blow out the speakers. If I turn the volume down, it goes so low I can't hear directions on it.

It would be nice if I could somehow set it up so that I don't have to manually change out the wav every time I set up new files to export. Or maybe if there was a manual way I could do this without having to swap the file every time, that would be cool too...

And if not - then oh well - I'll live with the extra step ;)

It will overwrite your custom alert the first time because the option is not set. Also if no sound file already exists it will use the default even if the option is checked. Upgrade to 3.5.3 for the new option.

Will somebody please help howlingmoon...

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use tis macro. I was able to use Pilotsnipes' macro with no problems but, he had a step by step guide on how to set everything up. Tis there anyone who would be willing to walk me through getting tis macro to work for my Nuvi ? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

I can assist. PM sent.

Just ran the latest version and it detected a minor issue: Corrected bmp not found. Yes, I have several caches with "corrected coordinates" (solved puzzle coordinates) so the macro is creating the "Corrected" category. I clicked "OK" and the macro continues (correctly I hope, it's still running).

1:42 pm - it ran and loaded just fine.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Just ran the latest version and it detected a minor issue: Corrected bmp not found. Yes, I have several caches with "corrected coordinates" (solved puzzle coordinates) so the macro is creating the "Corrected" category. I clicked "OK" and the macro continues (correctly I hope, it's still running).

Sent you a PM to see how you want those displayed since that icon is now used as the "found" for those folks who didn't care for the open treasure chest and wanted to use the gc.com/gsak style icons.

We discussed the smiley, after thinking about it I think the following makes more sense, hope you agree:

3.5.4 Corrected coordinates now use the solved mystery icon (question mark with a green check mark).

Not sure about a filter within the macro but here's my approach...

I have one large database which is updated from numerous PQs. I then apply various filters to it depending on what my plans are. Then I copy those waypoints to my "Nuvi" database and then run the macro against that one.

Not sure about a filter within the macro but here's my approach...

I have one large database which is updated from numerous PQs. I then apply various filters to it depending on what my plans are. Then I copy those waypoints to my "Nuvi" database and then run the macro against that one.

I know I could do that, but if it was in the macro, it would be less steps...

Can you add in an option to choose a filter within a DB? That would be handy for me as I run one large DB.

Depending on the filter it might not work well with the current architecture of this macro. This macro is very busy filtering by cache type and also placed, found and unavailable if selected. The concept here would be break your mega-database into logical pieces and handle it that way OR I'm pretty sure Pilotsnipe's macro runs based on the active filter.

If you have trouble with the POI Loader finding the GPX files, double check that the macro didn't create a subfolder under \GSAK\POI Loader (with the same name as your source database's name). Try <install path>\GSAK\POI Loader\<database name> as the path the first time.

It's one folder level below POI Loader.

I know the POI Loader is supposed to load everything in the target folder PLUS any folders below it, but, for some reason, it wouldn't do that yesterday.

That should NOT be happening and everyone please take note that taking this approach will disable the multi-database feature of the macro. The macro creates a subfolder for each database by design and POI Loader should be loading all of them. Is it possible the folder or file permissions got changed somehow?

I've run this and the POI files look OK, but they do not display properly on my 250W.... No logsd, weird formatting. Any thoughts??

101.jpg

The format of the splash page is normal the nuvi ignores our attempts at a cr/lf. But you are missing the more button. Usually caused by POI Loader or nuvi firmware. POIL version 2.5.2.0 and 250W firmware ver 3.40 is known to work.

Edited by jjreds

That should NOT be happening and everyone please take note that taking this approach will disable the multi-database feature of the macro. The macro creates a subfolder for each database by design and POI Loader should be loading all of them. Is it possible the folder or file permissions got changed somehow?

We had a hangup in the loading of the GPX files and this workaround fixed it. Putting it back to point to the correct folder then worked later. It must have been sunspots. The multi-database feature is a real plus.

The format of the splash page is normal the nuvi ignores our attempts at a cr/lf. But you are missing the more button. Usually caused by POI Loader or nuvi firmware. POIL version 2.5.2.0 and 250W firmware ver 3.40 is known to work.

Ooops, I did not have the newest POI version. My bad!!

I have loaded the red light and speed camera info into gsak. I then loaded them to my Nuvi. When I check the nuvi, I dont see them. Should I see a Custom POI for the cameras like I do for the various cache types? Or... how can I verify that the camera info is loaded?

I have loaded the red light and speed camera info into gsak. I then loaded them to my Nuvi. When I check the nuvi, I dont see them. Should I see a Custom POI for the cameras like I do for the various cache types? Or... how can I verify that the camera info is loaded?

You should see something like this:

52.jpg

Windows XP

GSAK 7.2.3.23

GPX_by_Cache_Type 3.5.4

run the macro, all seems to be fine

get a pop up ... GPX File Generator Message, Please Select

I select run POI loader for Nuvi

Get a pop up ... Nuvi Connection, with a selection of Check Connection

I press Check Connection

At that point I'm dead ...

I get a Windows - No Disk message with an exception processing Message and selection of cancel, try again, continue. Doesn't really matter what I select, I have to terminate GSAK to end it.

I do have my nuvi hooked up, powered up and it is showing the icon for being a connected drive. Windows Explorer shows the drive.

If it matters, I have a SD card in the nuvi.

What am I missing?

Jim

Edited by jholly

Couple of things to check: (What nuvi are you using? 2XX, 3XX, etc.)

1. What version of POI Loader (POIL) are you running? Should be 2.5.2.0. Check by running POIL and clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of first screen to the left of the POILoader title)

2. Did you run the POI Loader MANUALLY the first time to assure that it is looking at the right folder. Should be C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader (or where yours really is - check w/ Explore). The POIL "remembers" it's last settings so if you ran it before, it may be pointing to the wrong folder. Only have to do this the first time.

3. In Macro, at the first screen where you select your options, go to Advanced and turn off the "Search for Nuvi before running POI Loader". This may bypass a problem with some nuvi units (I have the problem with the 660).

4. SD card doesn't matter - I have one in mine too.

NOTE: when the POIL finishes, it pops up on the task bar, not the screen. Easy to overlook.

For your "Bonus Questions": Not sure what screen you are looking at - on your nuvi?

Couple of things to check: (What nuvi are you using? 2XX, 3XX, etc.)

1. What version of POI Loader (POIL) are you running? Should be 2.5.2.0. Check by running POIL and clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of first screen to the left of the POILoader title)

2. Did you run the POI Loader MANUALLY the first time to assure that it is looking at the right folder. Should be C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader (or where yours really is - check w/ Explore). The POIL "remembers" it's last settings so if you ran it before, it may be pointing to the wrong folder. Only have to do this the first time.

3. In Macro, at the first screen where you select your options, go to Advanced and turn off the "Search for Nuvi before running POI Loader". This may bypass a problem with some nuvi units (I have the problem with the 660).

4. SD card doesn't matter - I have one in mine too.

NOTE: when the POIL finishes, it pops up on the task bar, not the screen. Easy to overlook.

For your "Bonus Questions": Not sure what screen you are looking at - on your nuvi?

It is a nuvi 750.

Yes the POI loader knows where to look. I turned off search for nuvi, same result.

The bonus questions are in reference to the first screen displayed once you select a cache from the POI's on the nuvi. I would post an image but don't know how to capture a screen.