Advanced Nuvi Macro

If you happen to rename a databse/create a new one etc. Any runs from the macro will remain in the POI Loader folder under the old name and will be loaded to the nuvi by POI Loader. This was by design for folks who wanted large datasets, they could update in bitesize pieces. If you are experiencing any unusal results, first rebuild your databases, be sure additional waypoints are loaded as child, delete the POI Loader folder in the gsak folder and rerun. The invalid file issue is one related to POI Loader being super fussy about some special characters, and for that PM me if you are willing to send the database to me for testing.

If you get the message "Traditional...." invalid, move all the traditional caches to a new database, file, backup will create a zip file. Let get this fixed! I'm gone now for about 14 hrs. and sorry can't go back to an earlier version, we're moving forward only!!

I have attempted the following as troubleshooting steps on this problem:

1. Completely deleted and recreated all GSAK databases.

2. Completely deleted the contents of the /POI Loader directory.

3. Recreated the POI files from the new GSAK databases into the empty /POI Loader directory.

Same error message, same spot.

Edited by derangedlunatech

I've done the same 1-3 plus reinstalled version 3.3.3.

Supposedly it's because the POI loader is pretty fussy about certain characters. I've looked through the cache names and find some unusual symbols used (over and above the usual ", ', -, #, /, etc.). I've seen ~, `,$, % etc. - if the symbol is on the keyboard (or an <ALT> code), they've used it. Could that be it? Didn't go through the descriptions!!! And I myself have an apostrophe in my cache name! Shame.

Let's see what jjreds comes up with. I have a zip file backup for him whenever he's ready!

Latest test results:

1. Was successful in loading one database out of 5 so that eliminates the macro as the core problem. It's probably special characters prevalent in the others (and certainly multiple ones in the large 5000+ cache database). Was just lucky the offensive item wasn't present in the one database (gee - does the macro censor certain words??!!!).

2. Found the sequence was to ignore the macro's button to run the POIL and run the POIL manually and change the target folder.

3. As far as "hints", they ARE there!! The formatting is different than before. At the end of the description, any additional waypoints are listed (with no line breaks or color changes) - they run-on after the last word of the description. Then there is a line break followed by the hint (in no green font like before) followed immediately by the first log (no line break, or even a space). The word "Hint:" doesn''t appear. So, yes, the hint issue was fixed - now it's just a matter of formatting the color and line breaks so they stand out like before.

If I could ever figure out how to load a snapshot to this site, I'd show the actual screenshot!

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Latest test results:

1. Was successful in loading one database out of 5 so that eliminates the macro as the core problem. It's probably special characters prevalent in the others (and certainly multiple ones in the large 5000+ cache database). Was just lucky the offensive item wasn't present in the one database (gee - does the macro censor certain words??!!!).

2. Found the sequence was to ignore the macro's button to run the POIL and run the POIL manually and change the target folder.

3. As far as "hints", they ARE there!! The formatting is different than before. At the end of the description, any additional waypoints are listed (with no line breaks or color changes) - they run-on after the last word of the description. Then there is a line break followed by the hint (in no green font like before) followed immediately by the first log (no line break, or even a space). The word "Hint:" doesn''t appear. So, yes, the hint issue was fixed - now it's just a matter of formatting the color and line breaks so they stand out like before.

If I could ever figure out how to load a snapshot to this site, I'd show the actual screenshot!

[/quote

Nivi 660

POI Loader ver 2.5.2

Information is provided for your testing of the code:

I also find that the hints are there if your placement choice is either before or after the Logs; however the hint line separation is missing and color is not there. It just appears not to be reading the line(s) that makes this display.

Two errors are received on my 660 when executing the POI Loader, either manually or with the Macro.

1. Error line 1 of file C:\GSAK\POI Loader/POI Data/Multi Tourguide.gpx

2. and same error when executing Mystery Tourguide.gpx

I have looked for these two errors line without success but I am not a programmer.

Minor fix to a great Macro.

Thank You

Edited by Leftygator

Everybody upgrade to 3.3.4 for the invalid file problem

checking on the hint display issue

I upgrade my 660 to ver 3.3.4 and unless I am missing something it corrected the invalid file problem and the hint. All went well. At the moment I see nothing wrong with it. Let someone else take a look.

I downloaded the new ver from the download page and not the Upgrade area of the Macro so I did not test that.

Thank You

<snip>

If you need the cache descriptions changed, the line controlling this in the macro is well documented and easy to change.

Thanks Pilot for helping out and actually the line(s) you refer to can now be found on the advanced options page (since 3.2). No need to edit the macro anymore!!

<snip>

Your macro has the potential of copying the contents of an entire GSAK database to the Nuvi, which would take up a fair amount of space. And it gives the option of having separate SD Cards for separate databases (e.g. if you're on a caching holiday to two different areas).

Will you be looking for further suggestions for improvement once you feel that it's stable enough, or are you hoping to get some spare time instead?

Happy,

My Nuvi does not have 2 separate addressable drives even though I have an SD card installed. (I would like other Nuvi owners to chime in here please). If the Nuvi detect option is selected in the macro it works by scanning the installed drives on your computer searching for Drive Letter:\Garmin\POI\poi.gpi starting with D:\ all the way to Z:\ before it gives up. (Poi loader overwrites this file with no warning, and since first time users get a message to run POIL in manual mode the first time, in theory, it should always exsist) In your case, let's say your SD drive is H:\ try setting up H:\Garmin\POI\poi.gpi and see if the Nuvi can find it. It it does just delete the POI folder on the Nuvi drive and use the detect feature of the macro which will cause it to always load to your H:\ (SD card).

I haven't run out of ideas yet, but yes suggestions for improvement are welcome. I know the user interface is a POS (not point of sale :} ) due to the meandering way development has occured. I started out just wanting the icons and multiple databases. Then I found out how easy the macro language was to work with. I fully intend in a future release to completely revamp the UI. At that point, major portions of the macro will need to be restructured and rewritten to support the changes. I'm also dissatisfied with the speed of the macro and I'm certain the potential exists to improve the performance. I still think variable alert distances by cache type would be useful for us road warriors and am moving in that direction now. So tell me, what do you all want to see/do with this thing that can't be done now?

Yes, my nuvi 660 recognizes the M: drive (J: is the nuvi, M: is the SD card). I created \Garmin\POI\ on the M: drive and then moved the poi.gpi file to it (leaving the J:\Garmin\POI\ folder empty). When I booted the nuvi, it found the poi.gpi and created a new one on the J: drive and did NOT delete the one on the M: drive. It then had all of the "folders" or categories and caches correctly. This seems to indicate that it searches for .gpi files anywhere on its drives and creates one in it's internal memory. This is the same for .gpx files placed anywhere in the folder structure of the internal memory. It merges them all into one file - current.gpx. Except in that case, I believe it detetes the .gpx files it has merged into the "current" file.

Oh, separate topic, I just noticed (absolutely not a big thing) that the listing page of the "four closest" is only one line for each cache, not the two shown in a screen shot shown on page 2(?) - the one that shows coordinates on the second line. Is that only for different series nuvis (i.e. 2XX or 3XX).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
[so tell me, what do you all want to see/do with this thing that can't be done now?

Two items come to mind: 1) a user selectable content/orientation (i.e., user decides what to show and in what order) and 2) when updates are made, force a review of the settings but don't make the user reset everything

Ohhh ... and get Garmin to fix the problems with the 750! :unsure:

I'm happy to report that 3.3.4 fixed the loader problem. Loaded a total of 5 DBs (including the problem one that was throwing the errors yesterday) and it seems that they all loaded error free!

Out of curiosity - was it the special characters causing the problem?

More or less.....the Pilots excellent scrubbing routine works as designed.

I do think I've run into another potential issue, but not as severe (to me) as the last one.

Looking at the DBs I loaded, I have a different tourguide alert distance set for one particular DB (For my regular DBs I set the to about 2500 feet for alert, then the earchcache one I set for like 5 miles). It looks like it is now alerting me on everything within 5 miles, no matter which DB. Is this a known issue that we'll just have to deal with (POI loader problem maybe?)

I do think I've run into another potential issue, but not as severe (to me) as the last one.

Looking at the DBs I loaded, I have a different tourguide alert distance set for one particular DB (For my regular DBs I set the to about 2500 feet for alert, then the earchcache one I set for like 5 miles). It looks like it is now alerting me on everything within 5 miles, no matter which DB. Is this a known issue that we'll just have to deal with (POI loader problem maybe?)

It works like it's supposed to on my 250W can't say for the other models.

snip

(i.e., user decides what to show and in what order)

snip

Splain that. You mean cache types? In what order on the Nuvi?

The other thing I understand, we don't need to recreate that everytime. I'll fix that in a future version.

Something is definitely different on my 200w with the tourguide.

I wiped everything from my POI Loader folder, then loaded 2 DB's - one called "Home no micro" and one called "Home all"

"Home no micro" is set to proximity alerts for 2500 feet. "Home all" is set for no alerts.

I have alerts showing for caches that only exist in the "Home all" db.

Nothing I can't live with (I usually load the "Home all" PQ with all caches in my area, so I can do a quick check to see if anything is nearby when searching for potential planting sites, and the "home no micro" is my PQ filtering out various caches I don't want to bother with right now).

This did function properly back in 3.3.11.

Something is definitely different on my 200w with the tourguide.

I wiped everything from my POI Loader folder, then loaded 2 DB's - one called "Home no micro" and one called "Home all"

"Home no micro" is set to proximity alerts for 2500 feet. "Home all" is set for no alerts.

I have alerts showing for caches that only exist in the "Home all" db.

Nothing I can't live with (I usually load the "Home all" PQ with all caches in my area, so I can do a quick check to see if anything is nearby when searching for potential planting sites, and the "home no micro" is my PQ filtering out various caches I don't want to bother with right now).

This did function properly back in 3.3.11.

Using the settings you describe:

Open a .gpx file with notepad in ...gsak\POI Loader\Home no micro

Search for proximity

You should find: <gpxx:Proximity>762</gpxx:Proximity>

762 is 2500 feet in meters

Open a .gpx file with notepad in ...gsak\POI Loader\Home all

Search for proximity

You should find: Nothing

snip

snip

The other thing I understand, we don't need to recreate that everytime. I'll fix that in a future version.

This is essentially what I've been doing with most of the updates (and shared with you earlier in one of my e-mails). Conceptually, you might have say four groups. That first group could be the label. The user picks from an established set of options as to how they'd like to configure their label. As an example, some may want Tra/Mic to identify the type of cache and container, while others want to save some space for other details and want T/M instead. The second group could be the splash screen with the "go" button on it. Again, the user selects whether they would like say the current configuration now shipped with the macro or others like the one I suggested in an earlier email. For example, some may want to show the hint on this splash screen and not want the coords (as they already "have them" and don't necessarily need them displayed again.) The third group might be what's displayed after the "More" button is selected. The final grouping might be how the logs are displayed. For example, some one may want the date first before the results of that person's search. Others may want to see only finds/DNF's while some may want to see all logs including cache maintenance, reviewer, etc.

In terms of the menu appearance to the end user, the user might click on checkboxes for each output within each grouping they'd like to include. In lieu of checkboxes, you could include a small text field beside each option in which they could numerically order the fields as they would like them to display. When the user was satisfied and clicked on continue, if a field didn't have a number beside it, it would be omitted from the output.

The bottom line from my own experience in publishing macros is users want flexibility. There's always someone coming along who for whatever reason wants XYZ in front of ABC. My guess is there are code-savy users of your macro who are already doing this type of consolidating and rearranging to suit their personal tastes. Please understand your macro is exceptional and has obviously been well received. You could leave it as is and the vast majority would be tickled pink. Having said that, I thought it might be an opportune time to bring the idea up when you solicited suggestions and mentioned you were going to rewrite the user interface anyway.

(Eidt) P.S. ... you might also include a Size=+2 option for us folks who can't read the screen without our glasses! :unsure:

Edited by Tigerz

snip

snip

This is essentially what I've been doing with most of the updates (and shared with you earlier in one of my e-mails). Conceptually, you might have say four groups. That first group could be the label. The user picks from an established set of options as to how they'd like to configure their label. As an example, some may want Tra/Mic to identify the type of cache and container, while others want to save some space for other details and want T/M instead. The second group could be the splash screen with the "go" button on it. Again, the user selects whether they would like say the current configuration now shipped with the macro or others like the one I suggested in an earlier email. For example, some may want to show the hint on this splash screen and not want the coords (as they already "have them" and don't necessarily need them displayed again.) The third group might be what's displayed after the "More" button is selected. The final grouping might be how the logs are displayed. For example, some one may want the date first before the results of that person's search. Others may want to see only finds/DNF's while some may want to see all logs including cache maintenance, reviewer, etc.

In terms of the menu appearance to the end user, the user might click on checkboxes for each output within each grouping they'd like to include. In lieu of checkboxes, you could include a small text field beside each option in which they could numerically order the fields as they would like them to display. When the user was satisfied and clicked on continue, if a field didn't have a number beside it, it would be omitted from the output.

The bottom line from my own experience in publishing macros is users want flexibility. There's always someone coming along who for whatever reason wants XYZ in front of ABC. My guess is there are code-savy users of your macro who are already doing this type of consolidating and rearranging to suit their personal tastes. Please understand your macro is exceptional and has obviously been well received. You could leave it as is and the vast majority would be tickled pink. Having said that, I thought it might be an opportune time to bring the idea up when you solicited suggestions and mentioned you were going to rewrite the user interface anyway.

Thats a cool idea and one I have already been toying with. If we attacked this one piece at a time, which part would you like to see first, next, etc.

snip

snip

Thats a cool idea and one I have already been toying with. If we attacked this one piece at a time, which part would you like to see first, next, etc.

Thanks jjreds ... I'd probably do the label first (it appears to be straightforward and would get users out of having to link the special tags currently shown with what they mean) followed by the splash screen. You could literally make the third group all inclusive to start. To me, I'd vote to leave the logs last. I frankly struggled with coming up with some examples in rearranging the logs that half-way made sense!

If you'd like some help with mock-ups or testing, I'm at the same e-mail address as before.

Edited by Tigerz

Although POI Loader works perfectly in "normal" mode, it still locks up GSAK (see above) when the macro (latest version) starts it. This is not a big deal: I simply don't use the macro to load, just to create the files. But I'm sure you'd prefer it to work as designed on all configurations.

Other observations;

• Advanced Options: the small/wide screen name format configuration is a great idea. But I'm finding that the %ShortName=7 doesn't work, and in GSAK Help it suggests that this isn't designed to work in macros. So it might be better to default to %smart instead (that's what I changed it to, although it appeared necessary to change it on the Wide setting as well(?)).
  • If you include unavailable/archived caches, it seems that the bmp file isn't downloaded, so the macro errors out.
  • (Not about the macro) I still see two drive letters if I have an SD Card in place. This is good - I don't have to use the SD Card but it's nice to be able to see it. I'm not sure why you don't have this feature.

The hint now seems to be formatted better, and I've used the Advanced Options to bring the GC number to just after the cache short name, so that it's easy to match up child waypoints. I really like this now!

Suggestion for future feature: use Spoiler Sync to download spoiler photos and (somehow) associate them with caches for display on the Nuvi?

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Although POI Loader works perfectly in "normal" mode, it still locks up GSAK (see above) when the macro (latest version) starts it. This is not a big deal: I simply don't use the macro to load, just to create the files. But I'm sure you'd prefer it to work as designed on all configurations.

Other observations;

• Advanced Options: the small/wide screen name format configuration is a great idea. But I'm finding that the %ShortName=7 doesn't work, and in GSAK Help it suggests that this isn't designed to work in macros. So it might be better to default to %smart instead (that's what I changed it to, although it appeared necessary to change it on the Wide setting as well(?)).
  • If you include unavailable/archived caches, it seems that the bmp file isn't downloaded, so the macro errors out.
  • (Not about the macro) I still see two drive letters if I have an SD Card in place. This is good - I don't have to use the SD Card but it's nice to be able to see it. I'm not sure why you don't have this feature.

The hint now seems to be formatted better, and I've used the Advanced Options to bring the GC number to just after the cache short name, so that it's easy to match up child waypoints. I really like this now!

Suggestion for future feature: use Spoiler Sync to download spoiler photos and (somehow) associate them with caches for display on the Nuvi?

"locks up gsak" Correct. Expected. Gsak is waiting for the POI Loader finished message. Reason: No changes can be made to any of the files POI Loader needs until it completes its job. Just be patient, wait for the POI Loader finished message, ok it, and gsak will be at your service.

"small/wide" I saw some problems there and that was changed to one setting a couple of mods ago. Please upgrade. Check your settings when upgrading, and if you get an error delete GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat and restart. We're no longer recreating that file on upgrades.

"the macro errors out" What is the error? Which bitmap is missing? Unavailable/archived works in my testing.

"spoiler sync" What is that? Associate a photo with a waypoint and display it on the Nuvi. Does anyone know if this is possible?

"locks up gsak" Correct. Expected. Gsak is waiting for the POI Loader finished message. Reason: No changes can be made to any of the files POI Loader needs until it completes its job. Just be patient, wait for the POI Loader finished message, ok it, and gsak will be at your service.

I thought that maybe I was just being impatient, so went away and left it for ten minutes. Still no "finished" message. If only me and derangedlunatech have a problem with this, it might not be worth attempting a fix.

"small/wide" I saw some problems there and that was changed to one setting a couple of mods ago. Please upgrade. Check your settings when upgrading, and if you get an error delete GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat and restart. We're no longer recreating that file on upgrades.

I upgraded a couple of hours ago, before I tested this, so I'm using version 3.3.6. There's no error, but the name is more than 7 characters. So if it's a fairly long name, you miss out on the data after the name as it's truncated.

"the macro errors out" What is the error? Which bitmap is missing? Unavailable/archived works in my testing.

Hmmm...I just tried it again and it was fine. Forget that one.

"spoiler sync" What is that? Associate a photo with a waypoint and display it on the Nuvi. Does anyone know if this is possible?

See link here. Basically, you specify a GPX or LOC file and it uses the records in the file to access the cache web pages, dowloading (what you hope are) relevant photos in your selected resolution. Normally, you then copy the resulting folder of images (which are indexed) to a particular folder on your PDA. Then software such as CacheMate or GPX Sonar can link cache details to photos: so each cache page in CacheMate has a hyperlink to the relevant photo(s) to help with the cache. This often helps out where the only hint is a spoiler photo, or when you're getting desperate.

Ideally, the Nuvi would display these as if the web page was on display. That would help (for instance) in mystery caches where the puzzle is in the embedded picture. I have tried it for Waymarking, but I imagine it would be good for that as well (in the absence of GPX files).

I have no idea if it's possible on the Nuvi, but it would certainly be a fantastic feature! It might be worth checking with aRRKS.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I upgraded a couple of hours ago, before I tested this, so I'm using version 3.3.6. There's no error, but the name is more than 7 characters. So if it's a fairly long name, you miss out on the data after the name as it's truncated.

I have no idea if it's possible on the Nuvi, but it would certainly be a fantastic feature! It might be worth checking with aRRKS.

happy just swap the name and code on the advanced options page putting the code first and let it chop the name off if it's too long

oh, and make sure there is no poil finished message hanging around unchecked or that will hang gsak for sure. Do a test for me. Delete the POI Loader folder. Close everything and run gsak as your only task. Copy 1 point to an empty database. Connect your nuvi. Run the macro on the single point database then POIL. Do you get a message from the macro that it is loading the nuvi?

Edited by jjreds

Result was;

Error log: 21/06/2008 13:57:09

MacVersion = 3.3.3

MacDescription = Export GPX files by cache type for POI Loader

MacAuthor = jjreds thanks to cron/pilotsnipes/Clyde/Kai Team/Lignumaqua

MacUrl =

Current Macro: C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk

Error in Macro at line: 398

FILECOPY FROM=$ZIPPath$BMPFILE TO=$bitmap

Error=> Error # 2 (File not found)

Error reading C:\Program Files\GSAK\Temp\Mystery Geocaches.bmp [CopyFile(C:\Program Files\GSAK\Temp\Mystery Geocaches.bmp,C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\Mystery TourGuide.bmp)]

Macro will now abort

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Variables:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

$AdvancedOptionMenu (string) =Name = AdvancedOptionMenu| Type = Form| Caption = Export Garmin POI files in GPX format| Height = 382| Width = 603||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 255| Height = 36| Left = 130| Size = 18| Style = bold| Top = 3| Width = 305| Caption = Nuvi GPX POI Export||Name = ReturnMain| Type = Button| Height = 38| Left = 62| Top = 310| Width = 185| Taborder = 0| Caption = Return||Name = Cancel| Type = Button| Height = 38| Left = 333|

$Alert_UOM (string) =Meters

$AlertType (string) =TourGuide (Radius)

$Allbmpfiles (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\*.bmp

$Allgpxfiles (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\*.gpx

$Allmp3files (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\*.mp3

$Allwavfiles (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\*.wav

$Bitmap (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\Mystery TourGuide.bmp

$BMPFILE (string) =Mystery Geocaches.bmp

$Cache_Unavailabe (boolean) =False

$cacheinfo (string) =

$cachestat (string) =

$cachestatplain (string) =

$CacheTypeLetter (string) =U

$CacheTypeName (string) =Mystery

$CacheTypes (string) =A;B;C;E;F;G;I;L;M;O;P;R;T;U;V;W;X;Z

$cancel (boolean) =False

$Char (numeric) =0

$CheckVersion (boolean) =False

$childdesc (string) =

$chkFound (boolean) =True

$chkPlaced (boolean) =True

$chkUnavailable (boolean) =True

$combdesc (string) =

$connectform (string) =#********************************************************************|# Form generated by GSAK form designer on Wed 18-Jun-2008 14:42:00|#********************************************************************||Name = NuviConnect| Type = Form| Caption = Nuvi Connection| Height = 191| Width = 260||Name = ReadyOK| Type = Button| Height = 49| Left = 58| Top = 56| Width = 129| Taborder = 8| Caption = Check Connection||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 165

$Continueform (string) =#********************************************************************|# Form generated by GSAK form designer on Tue 03-Jun-2008 17:40:20|#********************************************************************||Name = Continue| Type = Form| Caption = GPX File Generator Message| Height = 257| Width = 391||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 128| Font = Arial| Height = 35| Left = 97| Size = 18| Top = 16| Width = 180| Caption = Please Select||Name = NewDB

$Count (numeric) =14

$CustomMenu (string) =#********************************************************************|# Form generated by GSAK form designer on Sat 07-Jun-2008 13:04:17|#********************************************************************||Name = CustomMenu| Type = Form| Caption = Custom Database Export| Height = 330| Width = 500||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 255| Height = 36| Left = 82| Size = 18| Style = bold| Top = 3| Width = 305| Caption = Nuvi GPX POI Export||Name = Labe

$datafile (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat

$datafilepath (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros

$DB (string) =Test

$dblist (string) =Along A Route;Canada Tour;Cromford;Default;France;Germany;Germany Berlin;HOEW;IOM;IOM Selection;IOW;Jasper;MyFinds;New York;Next Itin;Oct 07;SE England;Seattle;Spain;Test;Toronto;Van Island;Van Road;Vancouver

$Drive (string) =

$error (string) =

$exportbmp (string) =

$exportjpg (string) =

$exportmp3 (string) =

$exportwav (string) =

$ExtraOption (boolean) =False

$FileName (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test\Mystery TourGuide.gpx

$Folder1 (string) =

$FormExit (string) =

$Geocachebmp (string) =

$Geocachejpg (string) =

$Geocachemp3 (string) =

$geofile (string) =Mystery TourGuide

$geofilejpg (string) =futurefeature.jpg

$GetHTML (string) =JyBWQlMgZmlsZSB0byBnZXQgdGhlIHNvdXJjZSBodG1sIG9mIGEgd2ViIHBhZ2UNCicgDQonIFRha2Vz|IHR3byBjb21tYW5kIGxpbmUgcGFyYW1ldGVyczoNCicgRmlyc3QgaXMgdGhlIGZ1bGwgVVJMIG9mIHRo|ZSBwYWdlIHRvIGdldA0KJyBTZWNvbmQgaXMgdGhlIGZ1bGwgcGF0aCB0byB0aGUgZmlsZSB0byBzdG9y|ZSBpdCBpbg0KJyBUaGF0J3MgaXQgLSBubyBmcmlsbHMuDQonIEZyZWUgZm9yIHVzZSB1bmRlciBHTlUg|R1BMDQonIExpZ251bWFxdWENCicgNC0yOS0wNyBWMC4xIEINCg0KDQoNCg0KU2V0IG9iakFyZ3MgPSBX|U2NyaXB0LkFyZ3VtZW50cw0KcmVxdWlyZWRVUkwgPSBvYmpBcmdzKDApDQpyZXF1aXJlZEZpbGUgPSBv|Y

$GPSConnected (boolean) =True

$GPSr (numeric) =0

$GSAK_Temp_Folder (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\Temp

$HintLen (numeric) =0

$hints (string) =

$htmlfile (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\html\GetHTML.vbs

$htmlfilepath (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\html

$LastFound (string) =

$lcount (numeric) =0

$Line (string) =3.3.3;IOM;TourGuide (Radius);True;True;True;2XX;Very End;C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader;200;;Advanced;Geocaching Symbols;Meters;True;False;10;%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=* ;%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=* ;False;False;True

$lineOut (string) =

$logs (string) =

$LogsLen (numeric) =0

$longandshortdesc (string) =

$Macro_Files (string) =UEsDBBQAAgAIAIMDnTf1f1f9yAEAADgFAAANAAAATGV0dGVyYm94LmJtcF3TMYobdxjG4dchhkAa4wts|a9wKQjpBepdbuVCXa2ivkUouQorvEnIdthGoNOgK7oN588ys1llF2mc1v7+k0TcjzW8ffn2d9fbLj8k7|j2+uXuWndf2HV8nbn5/c3h7Wvzw8PD0s92XJv89fPufr339ltu9Tsnufe4aSvWYoOWiGkqNmKLlohpJq|hpLcr/eh5E4xlGw1Q8lOM5TsNUPJQTOUHDVDyUUzlFQzFDs0xd48e/PszaMZSraaoWSnGUr2mqHkoBlK|jpqh5KIZijeZR1OynplZ7yV3mqFkqxlKdpqhZK8ZSg6aoeSoGUoumqGkmqEkZ/OcTXI2z9k8mqFkqxlK|dpqhZK8ZSg6aoeSoGUoumqGkmqHL9npWag6/HoaSrWYo2WmGkr1mKDlohpKjZii5aIYu27VNHx/x2A2

$Macro_Version (string) =3.3.3

$Macro_Version_file (string) =3.3.3

$MacroMode (string) =Advanced

$MainMenu (string) =Name = MainMenu| Type = Form| Caption = Export Garmin POI files in GPX format| Height = 374| Width = 558||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 255| Height = 36| Left = 104| Size = 18| Style = bold| Top = 3| Width = 305| Caption = Nuvi GPX POI Export||Name = Label2| Type = Label| Height = 17| Left = 8| Top = 54| Width = 104| Caption = Database to use||Name = DB| Type = Combobox| Height = 25| Left = 117| Top = 50| Values = $dblist| Wi

$MainMenuExpanded (string) =Name = MainMenuExpanded| Type = Form| Caption = Export Garmin POI files in GPX format| Height = 368| Width = 603||Name = Label1| Type = Label| Color = 255| Height = 36| Left = 130| Size = 18| Style = bold| Top = 3| Width = 305| Caption = Nuvi GPX POI Export||Name = Label2| Type = Label| Height = 17| Left = 4| Top = 54| Width = 104| Caption = Select Database||Name = DB| Type = Combobox| Height = 25| Left = 117| Top = 50| Values

$Maxlogs (string) =10

$ME (string) =

$ModeSwitch (boolean) =False

$Msg (string) =

$Nuvi2XX (numeric) =11000

$Nuvi2XXW (numeric) =16500

$Nuvi3XX (numeric) =20000

$Nuvi6XX (numeric) =19000

$Nuvi7XX (numeric) =19999

$nuvimodel (string) =2XX

$NuviSearch (boolean) =True

$ok (boolean) =True

$plaincacheinfo (string) =

$POI_Icon (string) =Geocaching Symbols

$POI_Loader_Main_Folder (string) ="C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader"

$POI_Loader_Silent (boolean) =False

$POI_Loader_Sub_Folder (string) ="C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Test"

$POILpath (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader

$Proximity (string) =

$Proximity_Entered (string) =200

$psFileStart (string) =

$psName (string) =

$PutFile (string) =

$result (string) =*OK*

$Run_POI_Loader (boolean) =False

$SelectOption (string) =ok

$Settings (string) =

$SettingsFile (string) =

$snippedtagLen (numeric) =0

$snippedtagshort (string) =

$SoundFile (string) =

$switchhintandlogs (string) =Very End

$ThisRecord (numeric) =0

$TigerzStyleDisplay (boolean) =False

$tmpN (numeric) =0

$tmpN1 (numeric) =0

$tmpS (string) =

$tmpS1 (string) =

$total (numeric) =1

$TourGuide_ON (boolean) =False

$TTotal (numeric) =18

$UnpackStatus (string) =

$Update (string) =#********************************************************************|# Form generated by GSAK form designer on Mon 09-Jun-2008 14:12:46|#********************************************************************|Name = Update| Type = Form| Caption = Update Check| Height = 219| Width = 367||Name = UpdateOK| Type = Button| Height = 45| Left = 48| Top = 128| Width = 120| Taborder = 8| Caption = OK||Name = GetUpdate| Type = Button| Height = 45| Left = 184| Top =

$Use_Custom_Sounds (boolean) =False

$UseMyIcons_and_Sounds (boolean) =True

$variables (string) =3.3.3;Test;TourGuide (Radius);True;True;True;2XX;Very End;C:\Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader;200;;Advanced;Geocaching Symbols;Meters;True;False;10;%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=* ;%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=* ;False;False;True

$Verbose (boolean) =True

$Version (string) =Ver.3.3.3

$waypointnamesmallscreen (string) =%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=*

$waypointnamewidescreen (string) =%smart/%code/%typ=3/%found/%bug=*

$ZIPPath (string) =C:\Program Files\GSAK\Temp\

I'll have to try and get around this - it's not obvious how to at the moment so I can't perform this test.

Normally, there is a message that it's loading the Nuvi. I noticed that someone else had simply not noticed the "finished" window so I made sure I checked for that. If you try to cancel the macro at this stage, it reports that it will terminate after the next command, and you can close that window. But then although you can still see GSAK, it's as if there is still another window open on top (when there isn't).

See link here. Basically, you specify a GPX or LOC file and it uses the records in the file to access the cache web pages, dowloading (what you hope are) relevant photos in your selected resolution. Normally, you then copy the resulting folder of images (which are indexed) to a particular folder on your PDA. Then software such as CacheMate or GPX Sonar can link cache details to photos: so each cache page in CacheMate has a hyperlink to the relevant photo(s) to help with the cache. This often helps out where the only hint is a spoiler photo, or when you're getting desperate.

Ideally, the Nuvi would display these as if the web page was on display. That would help (for instance) in mystery caches where the puzzle is in the embedded picture. I have tried it for Waymarking, but I imagine it would be good for that as well (in the absence of GPX files).

Ok you will need Spoilersync and Plucker installed and configured correctly. See this. We can use the macro to load the nuvi with the pics. From there I need to do some testing and research.

Happy you're missing the Mystery icon. Did you check Use my icons on the advanced option page? If you do and happen to delete or misname one of the files the macro will crash. The normal method is to recreate these files everytime the macro is run to make sure they're there. I'll have to add some error checking logic for this. Replace .....\GSAK\Temp\Mystery Geocaches.bmp and rerun.

Edited by jjreds

Jim,

Attached is a mock-up of two options for the label grouping. Obviously, some conditioning logic is going to need to be required so that if the user selects to many characters they'll be given a chance to revise their selection. Group 2 for the splash screen would be similar.

Mike

Group1-Label.jpg

Happy you're missing the Mystery icon. Did you check Use my icons on the advanced option page? If you do and happen to delete or misname one of the files the macro will crash. The normal method is to recreate these files everytime the macro is run to make sure they're there. I'll have to add some error checking logic for this. Replace .....\GSAK\Temp\Mystery Geocaches.bmp and rerun.

OK: I'm busy for a while so it might be tomorrow by the time I get back to you...thanks again!

Result was;

Error log: 21/06/2008 13:57:09

MacVersion = 3.3.3

MacDescription = Export GPX files by cache type for POI Loader

MacAuthor = jjreds thanks to cron/pilotsnipes/Clyde/Kai Team/Lignumaqua

MacUrl =

Current Macro: C:\Program Files\GSAK\Macros\GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk

Error in Macro at line: 398

<snip>

upgrade to 3.3.7 and THAT won't happen again.

Edited by jjreds

Ok you will need Spoilersync and Plucker installed and configured correctly. See this. We can use the macro to load the nuvi with the pics. From there I need to do some testing and research.

This sounds very interesting...

Happy it takes 3-4 minutes per 100 caches for this to run, and you thought POI Loader takes too long... :blink:

Happy it takes 3-4 minutes per 100 caches for this to run, and you thought POI Loader takes too long... :angry:

I've used it quite a lot: you can just start it off and leave it running, so it doesn't matter too much that it takes a while (it's bound to, particularly if it waits 1 second between caches).

I've just upgraded the macro to 3.3.7: now it reports that the .bmp files are missing before crashing. Good - but it's not obvious how you correct the problem (in fact, you have to run the macro in Basic mode). It doesn't matter whether you check "Use my icons" or not. I never deleted any icons either.

I've just re-run the macro, and it's now on the POI Loader stage. I'll report back later as to whether it completed! (1 hour later - it didn't).

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I've just upgraded the macro to 3.3.7: now it reports that the .bmp files are missing before crashing.

$UseMyIcons_and_Sounds (boolean) =True

Uncheck the above option and restart the macro to recreate the missing bitmaps and soundfiles.

(in fact, you have to run the macro in Basic mode).

Good idea!! Advanced mode is dangerous as you have discovered!!

I've just re-run the macro, and it's now on the POI Loader stage. I'll report back later as to whether it completed! (1 hour later - it didn't).

Run POI Loader in manual mode until you get the issues with POI Loader straightened out.

I just tried this macro as I started setting up different databases for a trip we're getting ready to take.

Worked GREAT :)

I love having the different databases and the caches sorted by type.

Just a simple question: Does the astrix (*) next to the GC number indicate the presence of a TB? If not, is there a way to get that info in the listing?

Thanks again for the great work!!!!

I just tried this macro as I started setting up different databases for a trip we're getting ready to take.

Worked GREAT :D

I love having the different databases and the caches sorted by type.

Just a simple question: Does the astrix (*) next to the GC number indicate the presence of a TB? If not, is there a way to get that info in the listing?

Thanks again for the great work!!!!

Yes, "*" indicates travel bug(s) present. The waypoint desription can be changed on the advanced options form using special tags:

%bear - Bearing from current centre point

%blank - Blank or nothing

%bug = Travel bug status

%by = Placed by

%c_Prefix = Child prefix - see child waypoints

%c_Name = Child name - see child waypoints

%c_Type = Child type - see child waypoints

%c_Code = Full child code child waypoints

%c_Code1 = Child 1 character code - see child waypoints

%c_Lat = Child Latitude see child waypoints

%c_Lon = Child Longitude - see child waypoints

%c_ShortName = Same as %ShortName but for the child waypoint name - see child waypoints

%children = see child waypoints

%centre = Current centre point

%code = Waypoint code (For example, the GCXXXX code)

%con = Container

%con1 = One letter indicating the container type (notes)

%correct = Corrected coordinate status (notes)

%database = The current database name

%crypt = The coded hint (I.E. encrypted)

%datelf - Date last found)

%datepl - Date placed

%des = Cache description (Deprecated. See note)

%dif = Difficulty in full

%dif1 = Difficulty reduced to 1 digit (dif * 2 -1), so 1=1, 1.5=2, 2=3, 2.5=4, ...

%dif1a - Difficulty reduced to 1 character, so 1=1, 1.5 = A, 2=2, 2.5=B, 3=3, 3.5=C, 4=4, 4.5=D, 5=5

%dist - Distance from current centre point

%dnf = Did not find status (notes)

%drop2 = Same as %code, but drops the first two characters (notes)

%found = Found status. (notes)

%foundbyme = Found by me date

%gcid = Geocaching.com Cache number. (notes)

%GPX = Path to GPX file for current waypoint. Useful only for custom programs.

%hint = The decoded hint

%last4 = Last 4 found/not found logs (notes)

%lat = Latitude - 4 different formats to choose from (notes)

%loc = Path to LOC file for current waypoint. Useful only for custom programs.

%lon = Longitude - 4 different formats to choose from (notes)

%macro = this tag shows the result of running a macro (notes)

%name = Cache name

%ownerID = Cache Owner ID

%ownerName = Cache Owner Name

%notGC = Tags after this tag apply only to non geocaching.com waypoints (see below)

%smart = GSAK "Unique Smart Name" (notes)

%shortname = Same as %smart but no guarantee of unique name (notes)

%ter = Terrain in full

%ter1 = Terrain reduced to 1 digit (dif * 2 -1), so 1=1, 1.5=2, 2=3, 2.5=4, ...

%ter1a - Terrain reduced to 1 character, so 1=1, 1.5 = A, 2=2, 2.5=B, 3=3, 3.5=C, 4=4, 4.5=D, 5=5

%typ = Cache type

%typ1 = One letter indicating the cache type (notes)

%user = User Data.

%user2 = User Data2

%UserNote = The full text of the user note (including the log section)

%UserSort = The value of the user sort column for this cache

%UserLog = The full text of the user log section within the user notes

%UTMZone - The UTM zone

%UTMEast - The UTM Easting

%UTMNorth - The UTM Northing

Search for Special Tags in gsak help for more info.

Travel bug(s) show up in purple on the description page (when you press "More"). Well they should be... :)

I just upgraded to 3.3.8 and am still having the "When the macro is done and the splash screen says "check connection", I get a Windows - No Disk error (Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c" problem.

Selecting "Continue" works and everything seems to load correctly.

Side note: If I run the POIL manually and select the folder I want to load, do I have to also, manually, select the Alerts for each category? Yesterday I loaded them manually (avoiding the detection issue above) and skipped by the Alert setting screens. But I got no Alerts when in the field.

Yes, "*" indicates travel bug(s) present. The waypoint desription can be changed on the advanced options form using special tags:

...snip...

Travel bug(s) show up in purple on the description page (when you press "More"). Well they should be... :)

Thanks!!! I'll give that a whirl. And yes, the TB's do show up as purple in the description. It's GREAT!!!! :D

I just upgraded to 3.3.8 and am still having the "When the macro is done and the splash screen says "check connection", I get a Windows - No Disk error (Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c" problem.

Selecting "Continue" works and everything seems to load correctly.

Side note: If I run the POIL manually and select the folder I want to load, do I have to also, manually, select the Alerts for each category? Yesterday I loaded them manually (avoiding the detection issue above) and skipped by the Alert setting screens. But I got no Alerts when in the field.

Are you running Vista?? The macro is searching for a disk drive to detect the Nuvi. I think you should turn "search for Nuvi" off on the advanced option screen. As long as it is connected it should load ok.

That should fix both issues.

No, I'm not running Vista. I use Windows NT. And the nuvi has two drives associated - one for the nuvi and another for the SD card. Maybe it's just the confusion of which is which. Your second thought will resolve that issue. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a latent problem with the load.

No, I'm not running Vista. I use Windows NT. And the nuvi has two drives associated - one for the nuvi and another for the SD card. Maybe it's just the confusion of which is which. Your second thought will resolve that issue. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a latent problem with the load.

In NT is the path in the same format as my XP? ie. h:\garmin\poi\poi.gpi

No latent problem with the load, the search function has nothing to do with it.

Upgraded to 3.3.9 this morning, and everything seems to be running great! Even my update button is now working!

However, I was re-reading some of the early posted info on functionality, and it raised 2 dumb "back to basics" questions for me if you all wouldn't mind...

1. I noted that the macro deletes the old gpx files and replaces them with the newly generated files. How exactly does this interact with the POI Loader? What I mean is - do I also need to delete the old waypoints out of the Nuvi (as I have been doing), or does the loader overwrite the previous info?

2. What about importing the files into GSAK? When I import a PQ, do the existing entries get updated (finds, archives, etc)? Or do I need to continue (as I have been) to remove all the waypoints before I import the new file?

I have a feeling that I've been making this harder on myself than I need to...

I know the macro doesn't delete ALL of the files in the target folder because I just added "Friends.csv" to that folder and then reran the macro. The friends.csv remains in the folder so it didn't do a delete *.*. The friends.csv file was transferred to the nuvi and remains in the folder. All of the "Tourguide" files have new modified dates. I'm not sure if they were overwritten or erased first as I had the same list of categories.

1. I no longer delete the old POI information from the nuvi. I did this manually for quite some time and then quit. I believe the POIL overwrites same-named categories.

1. I do delete all of my Favorites (not the POIs) before loading a new set but that's outside of this macro. I just put the "closest 450" in Favorites for my target search area so they show on the screen as I approach the area. It's the same "closest 450" that I load into my handheld due to it's 500 limit - I still use both handheld and nuvi.

2. Importing a PQ into GSAK may or may not update depending on your GSAK load settings. Look closely at your settings on the load page just below the "database" dropdown. I have mine set for "Update always", and DO NOT clear database before loading. GSAK will update most of the information to the new PQ info - one benefit is that newer logs will be added to the ones you already got from previous PQs (PQs only carry the last 5 logs).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I was using the version located HERE and didn't even realize there was this updated and much improved version!

I installed the new version and it's pretty dang cool. It works great for my geocaches but I'm having problems with a couple of custom POI databases that I tried to use with the macro. Specifically, the Public Campgrounds POI and the State and Federal Campgrounds POI - both from POI Factory. The macro runs but, when I try to load the resultant files using POI Loader I get an error that they aren't valid files. The older version of the macro worked fine with the same files. Do I need to use the new macro for geocaches and stick to the older version for custom POI files?