Advanced Nuvi Macro

I was running the TourGuide feature with 2000 feet for proximity. I remember reading something in pilotsnipes page about Garmin needing to update a software feature. Is this the same thing?

Yep. Do NOT use the tourguide feature on a 7xx series, until garmin fix it. Your machine will lock up on numerous occasions!

IN fact if you are unlucky when you switch your 7xx on, and it is inside a tourguide radius, you might not be able to get to the map page before it crashes!! Nasty vicious circle.

It's an ugly bug.....

I was running the TourGuide feature with 2000 feet for proximity. I remember reading something in pilotsnipes page about Garmin needing to update a software feature. Is this the same thing?

Yep. Do NOT use the tourguide feature on a 7xx series, until garmin fix it. Your machine will lock up on numerous occasions!

IN fact if you are unlucky when you switch your 7xx on, and it is inside a tourguide radius, you might not be able to get to the map page before it crashes!! Nasty vicious circle.

It's an ugly bug.....

Thanks for the confirmation on the Garmin issue.

In case it helps anyone, I'll mention that I did have some difficulty with the macro. This mostly came from not realising that you can't just load to the Nuvi 250 directly: you'll lose part or all of the cache details. I was just getting the header: no description, hints or logs.

You have to insert an SD card and load to that (use Windows to view the contents and remove any old POI first): I was using an older version of POI Loader at first which didn't give you the choice. The latest version allows you to specify that you're setting up the POI on the card rather than in the Nuvi memory. I had to create the extract using the macro first; then instead of allowing the macro to run POI Loader in Silent mode I finished at that point, and then ran POI Loader separately (so that I could tell it where to store the POI details). Then it worked fine (apart from the cache duplication problem).

It's more than the Tourguide function that doesn't play well with the Nuvi 7xx's!

Since my earlier posts, jjreds and I have been fighting with this thing on my Nuvi 750. He kept telling me I had alerts and what not set when I knew in fact I hadn't. Last night I reinstalled POI Loader (same version 2.5.2 as before) and it worked using the express function on POI Loader. I then ran it again manually and everything went crazy giving me the problems I had before. In the end, I kept trying it manually and using the express function getting inconsistent results. Finally, I got everything back. Unfortunately, it now shows me as having a speed and distance alert at the top of each screen. I also no longer have a "Go" button on the initial screen which makes it tough to ... ummm ... go ... to the cache!

RE Happy Humphrey's suggestion RE writing to the unit or the card ... I have a card on my 750. POI Loader is not recognizing it (or at least giving me the option of writing to it).

Sooooooooooo ... it might be helpful if we start calling Garmin and letting them know the Colorado isn't the only thing that's messed up. :)

Edited by Tigerz

Has anyone else had any problems with the macro locking up their Garmin Nuvi? I have a 750 and today on several occasions it locked up and I had to turn it off and on.

I haven't had any problems with lock-ups on my 200w yet. I did initially have problems with tourguides not showing up - but after some fiddling and rebuilding of the databases, it seems to be working fine now. Not sure why this might have happened, not sure what I did to fix it - but it seems fine now.

It's only the 7xx series that has the nasty crashing/locking bug for tourguides, if your machine (ie a NON 7xx) accidentally does that too, I'd almost say 100% it is due to something else or was an unlucky coincident.

Tourguides not showing up just means that the data files weren't corrrect when POILoader was sending them to your machine. (Corrupt mp3 file etc)

After a lot of fiddling I managed to get it more or less working on the Nuvi 250. Excellent!

The only issue I see is that some caches are duplicated (seems to be at random).

Caused by having the same cache in multiple databases or child waypoints loaded incorrectly. See my post re: child waypoints

Edited by jjreds

The only issue I see is that some caches are duplicated (seems to be at random).

I just noticed this too with my 760--however, I am not sure it is random. It seems to happen with caches that have child waypoints. However, I can't tell which ones are the children as they all have the same co-ordinates. How does this macro support child waypoints?

If your child waypoints are not described as "Child of GCXXXX" then they are being loaded into gsak as "normal" waypoints. They should appear like this:

80.jpg

95.jpg

On the "Load GPX/LOX/ZIP File" screen make sure "As child waypoint" is selected under the "How to handle the "additional" Geocaching.com waypoints"

NewPicture17.jpg

In case it helps anyone, I'll mention that I did have some difficulty with the macro. This mostly came from not realising that you can't just load to the Nuvi 250 directly: you'll lose part or all of the cache details. I was just getting the header: no description, hints or logs.

You have to insert an SD card and load to that (use Windows to view the contents and remove any old POI first): I was using an older version of POI Loader at first which didn't give you the choice. The latest version allows you to specify that you're setting up the POI on the card rather than in the Nuvi memory. I had to create the extract using the macro first; then instead of allowing the macro to run POI Loader in Silent mode I finished at that point, and then ran POI Loader separately (so that I could tell it where to store the POI details). Then it worked fine (apart from the cache duplication problem).

My Nuvi 250W loads from the macro in silent mode with no problems using a 64mb Sd card. I have loaded around 10,000 points from about a dozen databases in testing. Version 2.5.2 of the POI Loader is the one that works without issues. You shouldn't have to anything manually. That was the whole point of developing this macro. Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware version on your Nuvi??

<snip>

Unfortunately, it now shows me as having a speed and distance alert at the top of each screen. I also no longer have a "Go" button on the initial screen which makes it tough to ... ummm ... go ... to the cache!

<snip>

If you see a speed and alert distance then you are using Advanced Mode and have the alert type set to "Proximity (On Route)" rather than "TourGuide (Radius)". You should only use Proximity type alerts for things that are directly on your traveled route such as Red Light Cameras and Speed Traps. For Geocaching using the macro in Advanced Mode the alert type should be set to TourGuide and the POI Icon set to Geocaching Symbols

NewPicture18.jpg

For advanced users!!

Advanced option screen available in Advanced Mode now allows you to specify and save #logs, waypoint description format, whether or not you want to use your own icons (MUST BE LOCATED IN ...gsak\Temp and be named the same as the icons that are there), whether or not to use voice files for Red Light Cams and Speed Traps.

NewPicture19-1.jpg

IMPORTANT FOR ADVANCED MODE!! The icon option you select determines what symbol(s) and sound file(s) are loaded for the database.

Edited by jjreds

My Nuvi 250W loads from the macro in silent mode with no problems using a 64mb Sd card. I have loaded around 10,000 points from about a dozen databases in testing. Version 2.5.2 of the POI Loader is the one that works without issues. You shouldn't have to anything manually. That was the whole point of developing this macro. Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware version on your Nuvi??

Yes, it's the latest (that was one of the checks I did last night). I'll have another go later.

If your child waypoints are not described as "Child of GCXXXX" then they are being loaded into gsak as "normal" waypoints. They should appear like this:

No, they aren't described as "Child of GCXXXX".

On the "Load GPX/LOX/ZIP File" screen make sure "As child waypoint" is selected under the "How to handle the "additional" Geocaching.com waypoints"

I can confirm that this is definitely selected.

A clue might be that both waypoints appear in the extracted GPX file (e.g. traditional TourGuide.gpx) and they both have the same coordinates. But it does look like the additional waypoints trigger the problem.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Yes, it's the latest (that was one of the checks I did last night). I'll have another go later.

(Later...) I tried again: in fact POI Loader (2.5.2) doesn't detect the Nuvi in Silent Mode anyway ("cannot locate the previously chosen device") and insists that I use the Wizard. Quite handy, as the Wizard allows you to select whether you load to the Nuvi ("Garmin Device"), Mapsource, or Custom Folder (which is the option to use - you then select the "Removable Disk" (i.e. the SD Card) and the folder "Garmin\Poi" within).

A clue might be that both waypoints appear in the extracted GPX file (e.g. traditional TourGuide.gpx) and they both have the same coordinates. But it does look like the additional waypoints trigger the problem.

I cannot duplicate your problem. If the waypoint is not described as "Child of GCXXXX" in the Nuvi then is it likely it is not in the child waypoint table where it should be.

Right click the parent and select "Child waypoints..." . Does it appear there?

Sort your database by code. Do you have any codes that start with something other than "GC"? Such as GV,PK,BM,numbers, etc.

If none of this helps, would you be willing to backup the database that is causing the problem to a zip file and email it to me with a description of which codes are causing the issue?

Edited by jjreds

<snip>

(Later...) I tried again: in fact POI Loader (2.5.2) doesn't detect the Nuvi in Silent Mode anyway ("cannot locate the previously chosen device") and insists that I use the Wizard. Quite handy, as the Wizard allows you to select whether you load to the Nuvi ("Garmin Device"), Mapsource, or Custom Folder (which is the option to use - you then select the "Removable Disk" (i.e. the SD Card) and the folder "Garmin\Poi" within).

Silent mode only works when the Nuvi is connected and in mass storage mode before you start POI Loader.

If you can see the Nuvi drive and POIL won't run in silent mode from the macro then I would consider that to be abnormal behavior. There are USB driver updates @ Garmin.com availble to fix this issue. I also have a Nuvi 250 and it connects perfectly every time.

I also added an option on the Advanced Option page to disable silent mode mostly for a potential 700-Series problem that goes away when moving poi.gpi to the Nuvi manually. Just remember the proximity distances in the GPX file override the distances entered in manual mode.

There are a lot of pieces to this puzzle to get everything running nice and smoothly. I hope this helps.

<snip>

Silent mode only works when the Nuvi is connected and in mass storage mode before you start POI Loader.

If you can see the Nuvi drive and POIL won't run in silent mode from the macro then I would consider that to be abnormal behavior. There are USB driver updates @ Garmin.com availble to fix this issue. I also have a Nuvi 250 and it connects perfectly every time.

I also added an option on the Advanced Option page to disable silent mode mostly for a potential 700-Series problem that goes away when moving poi.gpi to the Nuvi manually. Just remember the proximity distances in the GPX file override the distances entered in manual mode.

There are a lot of pieces to this puzzle to get everything running nice and smoothly. I hope this helps.

Things do seem to have changed since I downloaded POI Loader 2.5.2 last night. But the Nuvi is connected and in mass storage mode before I start. Mapsource finds the unit correctly, and so does POI Loader. It just doesn't work in Silent mode.

I cannot duplicate your problem. If the waypoint is not described as "Child of GCXXXX" in the Nuvi then is it likely it is not in the child waypoint table where it should be.

Right click the parent and select "Child waypoints..." . Does it appear there?

Yes, it looks fine there. All additional waypoints appear nicely in a table.

Sort your database by code. Do you have any codes that start with something other than "GC"? Such as GV,PK,BM,numbers, etc.

No, all GC.

If none of this helps, would you be willing to backup the database that is causing the problem to a zip file and email it to me with a description of which codes are causing the issue?

I can send it if you PM me with an e-mail address. All the codes with additional waypoints give the same problem. In the meantime you could try creating a database based on all Isle of Man caches (there are less than 200), which is what I was using to test. If it looks OK, then you have something to compare my version with.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I can confirm the same problem with child waypoints. They are correctly loaded into GSAK (as shown below)

7b271c65-a7de-4c99-b95b-0d8c3900a8dc.jpg

but they are showing up as duplicates of the original cache, and not "Child of..."

b0e7367b-d75c-4335-96b2-a55145402600.jpg

It's a great macro, and I really appreciate all the work (and the features you keep adding on!)

--B.

<snip>

All the codes with additional waypoints give the same problem. In the meantime you could try creating a database based on all Isle of Man caches (there are less than 200), which is what I was using to test. If it looks OK, then you have something to compare my version with.

I can confirm the same problem with child waypoints.

I still cannot duplicate this problem??? Here is a screen shot of some of the Isle of Man caches:

169.jpg

Does everyone have a button in the upper RH corner of the macro that says "Update"? And ver 3.2 or 3.2.1??

Things do seem to have changed since I downloaded POI Loader 2.5.2 last night. But the Nuvi is connected and in mass storage mode before I start. Mapsource finds the unit correctly, and so does POI Loader. It just doesn't work in Silent mode.

One of the things I am going to work on in the future is confirming a connection with the Nuvi inside the macro that will tell you if it's connected and give you the option to retry it it doesn't see it.

When you say "doesn't work in silent mode" pls explain what you are doing, expecting, and what is happening.

POI Loader silent mode can only be invoked from the command line (or from a macro that calls the command interpreter) like this:

NewPicture20.jpg

Is this how you're testing the silent mode?

When you say "doesn't work in silent mode" pls explain what you are doing, expecting, and what is happening.

When the macro has finished generating the GPX file, there's three buttons on the next window that appears. One is "Run POI Loader for Nuvi". I was expecting that to invoke POI Loader (in silent mode) and copy the files to the Nuvi. Instead, it errors, then starts up POI Loader in Wizard mode.

POI Loader silent mode can only be invoked from the command line (or from a macro that calls the command interpreter) like this:

Is this how you're testing the silent mode?

No, see above.

But once the wizard takes you through the process, it gives you the important option of saving POI's to "Custom Folder". Obviously, it's essential to select this so that the POI's can be saved to the SD Card. Otherwise, it'll attempt to save them to the Nuvi memory (which is no good).

Now sent. The example you've seen yourself (Assume Nothing 6) is one that misbehaves (but not in your database).

<snip>

Obviously, it's essential to select this so that the POI's can be saved to the SD Card. Otherwise, it'll attempt to save them to the Nuvi memory (which is no good).

You'll have to explain how the Nuvi memory is "no good", sorry it's not obvious and most folks are not having this much trouble with POI Loader after the 2.5.2.0 upgrade. The 250 I've done testing with has no way to address the SD card directly. It just treats it as additional disk space. Are you saying you have two drive letters assigned to your Nuvi and you can select the Nuvi drive and SD card as a separate disk drive?? If POI Loader won't load to your Nuvi directly you still have firmware/software/driver issues (a mess). Here is a working setup on XP

GSAK ver 7.2.2 or .3 Series

Nuvi 250 Software run WebUpdater

POI Loader ver 2.5.2.0

Garmin USB Drivers software version 2.2.1

GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk ver 3.2 and above

What a great job you have done on this Macro. It just gets better and better.

Macro Version 3.3 installed

I am having a small problem on my 660. I have Found caches and my placed caches in the GSAK file and check the block "Include Found Cache" but they do not appear when transfered to the 660. I also have "include my Own Caches" and they do appear. What am I doing wrong?

I am also having problems with the automatic install of a new Version of the Macro and GSAK hangs up during the second window and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to get it closed. XP is my operating system. I go to the web site http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download and manually install the new version.

Thank you for a job well done and a great service to Cachers.

Ken

<snip>

Obviously, it's essential to select this so that the POI's can be saved to the SD Card. Otherwise, it'll attempt to save them to the Nuvi memory (which is no good).

You'll have to explain how the Nuvi memory is "no good", sorry it's not obvious and most folks are not having this much trouble with POI Loader after the 2.5.2.0 upgrade. The 250 I've done testing with has no way to address the SD card directly. It just treats it as additional disk space. Are you saying you have two drive letters assigned to your Nuvi and you can select the Nuvi drive and SD card as a separate disk drive?? If POI Loader won't load to your Nuvi directly you still have firmware/software/driver issues (a mess). Here is a working setup on XP

GSAK ver 7.2.2 or .3 Series

Nuvi 250 Software run WebUpdater

POI Loader ver 2.5.2.0

Garmin USB Drivers software version 2.2.1

GPX_by_Cache_Type.gsk ver 3.2 and above

"No good" refers to my earlier problems, where only the cache header was loaded (no descriptions, hints or logs). I solved that by sending the details to the card. Pilotsnipes' original macro did actually load to the Nuvi (i.e. not the card), but was truncated either in the description or later (depending on the length of the description): it was pretty useable though. The later macro loses everything except the header details unless you direct it to the card.

I see the Nuvi as drive G and the card as drive H. This looks like what Garmin would expect: the wizard asks for a target when you select "Custom" and you have to point it at the "H" drive in my case.

There used to be an option in POI Loader to delete all existing POI's but 2.5.2 has removed this: you have to delete the POI file. It does give you more control with the selection you see when you start it in Wizard mode, and it will successfully load POI's direct to the Nuvi (or to Mapsource) - I just don't choose this option when loading the macro-generated POI's.

I'm using GSAK 7.2.2.23, I've run Webupdater for the Nuvi 250, POI Loader is 2.5.2 (downloaded yesterday). I'm not sure about the USB drivers, and the macro is from the day before yesterday (3.1.11).

I am having a small problem on my 660. I have Found caches and my placed caches in the GSAK file and check the block "Include Found Cache" but they do not appear when transfered to the 660. I also have "include my Own Caches" and they do appear. What am I doing wrong?

I am also having problems with the automatic install of a new Version of the Macro and GSAK hangs up during the second window and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to get it closed. XP is my operating system. I go to the web site http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download and manually install the new version.

Ken

I tried the upgrade process it's not really automatic, my box didn't hang but that doesn't mean much. You're on the right track with the upgrades. As far as found caches are concerned I rewrote the type logic and quite frankly most of the macro at the 3.0 release. GSAK is supposed to return the correct name for the type code automatically. I see GSAK is returning "Unknown" for type "F" instead of "Found". Fixed in 3.3.1 please upgrade. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by jjreds

Finally got around to actually running this new macro after working with the original "Paperless" one by pilotsnipes. Been tracking this development for some time now.

On a nuvi660 I had only minor problems - you MUST redirect POILoader (I know you said that - I forgot).

Had one issue with a "invalid .gpx" file - I think it was a bad record in the database. After copying all the records to a new database, it seemed to have cleared itself.

One remaining issue is that I have no "hints". All the logs and descriptions are there - no truncation. TBs are listed, etc. Yes, I did double check the check box on where to place the hints and it properly shows "Before Logs". I did double check the actual cache listing and there are hints available. I made no changes to the default settings (except increasing the log count to 10). Yes, I did change the 2XX to 6XX.

I'm using version 3.3.1, GSAK 7.2.2.23, POI Loader 2.5.2.0, Windows XP

Other than this one issue, this looks great!!!!

Ken

I tried the upgrade process it's not really automatic, my box didn't hang but that doesn't mean much. You're on the right track with the upgrades. As far as found caches are concerned I rewrote the type logic and quite frankly most of the macro at the 3.0 release. GSAK is supposed to return the correct name for the type code automatically. I see GSAK is returning "Unknown" for type "F" instead of "Found". Fixed in 3.3.1 please upgrade. Thanks for pointing that out.

FYI

Installed the new 3.3.1 this morning and it solved the problem with "Found Caches" as they now appear in the Nivi. You do not get an "Alert" for them which makes sense. My other problem is still there but seems like it is only my problem since others do not have it and an easy manual work around is available.

I see there is a new upgrade to the POI Loader but have not upgraded since the removal feature of the old file has been removed.

My hat is off to you for the service you have provided.

Edited by Leftygator

<snip>

<snip>

I'm using GSAK 7.2.2.23, I've run Webupdater for the Nuvi 250, POI Loader is 2.5.2 (downloaded yesterday). I'm not sure about the USB drivers, and the macro is from the day before yesterday (3.1.11).

You will need to work with Garmin to resolve the communications problems with POI Loader, I've done my best to help you but this problem is beyond the scope and intention of this forum. I would however update the Garmin USB drivers to the latest version - might fix it.

Edited by jjreds

Now sent. The example you've seen yourself (Assume Nothing 6) is one that misbehaves (but not in your database).

Thanks Happy, that's what I needed. Now fixed in ver. 3.3.2

Thanks Happy, that's what I needed. Now fixed in ver. 3.3.2

Fantastic, I'll try it out tonight. This macro is a real step forward for paperless caching. :(

I'm not too bothered about the POI Loader quirk: I actually quite like the way it works for me.

But out of interest: do you expect the automatic load to always send the generated GPX files to the Nuvi memory? It seems to me that you'd normally want these POI files saved to the SD Card (if there is one in place). I'm not sure what the Nuvi memory size is, but I guess that it's rather less than my 2Gb SD Card. Your macro has the potential of copying the contents of an entire GSAK database to the Nuvi, which would take up a fair amount of space. And it gives the option of having separate SD Cards for separate databases (e.g. if you're on a caching holiday to two different areas).

Will you be looking for further suggestions for improvement once you feel that it's stable enough, or are you hoping to get some spare time instead?

Sorry I haven't been following this as intensely as I should (away with work at the moment), but a quick look shows 4000 caches spread out over the USA and Europe on my Nuvi takes up less than 18megs

How many caches were you planning to install on a 2gb sd card?

POILoader when running in silent mode uses the values it had for the last successful transfer.

So if you manually do this once and save it to your SD card, and it is successful, I'm confused why you are having problems when running POILOader again with the macro.

Are you sure you only have one installation of POILoader on your machine?

jj,

Just to echo what others have said - thanks for all the work on this fantastic macro. It has so greatly enhanced my caching experience that I don't know if I would ever want to live without it!

Now that the sucking up is done :( I just wanted to note that I (like some others) am having problems with the update portion of the macro. t just seems to hang - trying to "stop" it tells me that it will terminate after completion of the next command - but it never seems to complete the next command, and I have to go to task manager to kill GSAK and restart it.

Not a big deal - I have the site bookmarked and do my downloads/installs manually. It might be something in my network security (I'll see if I can download from another connection sometime and see if that makes a difference). Just thought I'd let you know.

Sorry I haven't been following this as intensely as I should (away with work at the moment), but a quick look shows 4000 caches spread out over the USA and Europe on my Nuvi takes up less than 18megs

How many caches were you planning to install on a 2gb sd card?

POILoader when running in silent mode uses the values it had for the last successful transfer.

So if you manually do this once and save it to your SD card, and it is successful, I'm confused why you are having problems when running POILOader again with the macro.

Are you sure you only have one installation of POILoader on your machine?

You may well be correct that it's overkill to save to the SD Card. Although some people have more than 20000 caches kept up to date in GSAK, and later versions of the macro will doubtless include spoiler photos too. :(

But I was finding that sending the macro-generated POI files to the Nuvi caused loss of cache descriptions, hints and logs. So using POI Loader 2.5.2 gave me the benefit of selecting the SD Card as the destination (the previous version of POI Loader didn't appear to have this feature). I tried this and the cache descriptions, hints and logs appeared. That was the main reason for using this option.

The macro (for some reason which might be unique to my setup) isn't able to start the copy to Nuvi in silent mode. But that's useful as I want to save to the SD Card anyway (because of the above problem). I know that it's firing up POI Loader 2.5.2, as it errors first and then starts it in Wizard mode so that I can select the destination.

jj,

Just to echo what others have said - thanks for all the work on this fantastic macro. It has so greatly enhanced my caching experience that I don't know if I would ever want to live without it!

Now that the sucking up is done :( I just wanted to note that I (like some others) am having problems with the update portion of the macro. t just seems to hang - trying to "stop" it tells me that it will terminate after completion of the next command - but it never seems to complete the next command, and I have to go to task manager to kill GSAK and restart it.

Not a big deal - I have the site bookmarked and do my downloads/installs manually. It might be something in my network security (I'll see if I can download from another connection sometime and see if that makes a difference). Just thought I'd let you know.

When you get the message that says Navigate....download....save...return here etc. don't click OK until after you download and replace the macro in ...\gsak\Macros. That might help. In the meantime I'll look into this further when I have some time.

First, thank you for fixing the "hints" issue in the latest update - and so quietly that I almost missed the note!

As for the "hangup", I do see the spash screen and thought I had an issue. But, I found that the POILoader finishes it's task and placed it's completion notice behind the open windows. Once I minimized all of the open screens I could click off the "OK" and it cleared the splash screen too.

First, thank you for fixing the "hints" issue in the latest update - and so quietly that I almost missed the note!

As for the "hangup", I do see the spash screen and thought I had an issue. But, I found that the POILoader finishes it's task and placed it's completion notice behind the open windows. Once I minimized all of the open screens I could click off the "OK" and it cleared the splash screen too.

I'm telling the macro to "wait" for POI Loader to finish. Do you think we should change that? I know sometimes POIL gives you a message in your GSAK window and sometimes you just see it pop up on the task bar. If I'm controlling that I don't know how, I don't think that I am.

When you get the message that says Navigate....download....save...return here etc. don't click OK until after you download and replace the macro in ...\gsak\Macros. That might help. In the meantime I'll look into this further when I have some time.

In my case it seems to make no difference at all how long I wait (which makes me suspect network blockage, so don't concern yourself with it too much until I can troubleshoot a bit). I never see any progress at all, even letting it try to run overnight. Like I said - no big deal to me, in light of all the other benefits of this macro, manually downloading it is a minuscule concern to me.

Edited by derangedlunatech

I'm now experiencing a new set of problems. (nuvi 660, POIL 2.5.2.0, macro 3.3.2)

1. When the macro is done and the splash screen says "check connection", I get a Windows - No Disk error (Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c). Choices are "Cancel, Try Again, Continue". "Cancel" is obvious, it just cancels everything, "Try Again" results in "beep" and "Continue" then tries to run. Result is a second issue.

2. I get "The file C:Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Nuvi/Traditional Tourguide.gpx is invalid. Do you want to want to continue?" Note the "/" is not a typo!!. Also the "want to want" is verbatim. Choices are Yes and No. No cancels. Yes allows it (POIL) to continue and the rest of the files load. I reloaded the database from scratch without a fix. Due to size, I'll try a much smaller version and see if that fixes it. I'm thinking "bad record" again - one of the "Traditional" caches.

3. Checking the loaded files - still no hints.

Many thanks: version 3.3.3 downloaded and run.

This fixed the "child waypoint" problem. It also starts POI Loader- but as observed by derangedlunatech, this task never completes and causes GSAK to hang.

I loaded the POI's separately, and discovered that the "missing cache descriptions" problem has also been fixed, so I can load direct to the Nuvi (rather than the SD Card). Very good!

A suggestion: (for the non-wide Nuvi) now that the child waypoints appear as "Child of GCXXXX", how about replacing the coordinates under the cache names with the GCXXXX code instead? What I mean is that the list of caches shows something like

GeocacheName/Tra/N/G

N54 34.678, W4.45.

LPHV3RD - Parking Are

Child of GCHV3RD

with

GeocacheName/Tra/N/

GCHV3RD

LPHV3RD - Parking Are

Child of GCHV3RD

..then it's easy to see that LPHV3RD belongs to the cache above (remember that it could be above, below, or beyond another cache in the list).

I'm now experiencing a new set of problems. (nuvi 660, POIL 2.5.2.0, macro 3.3.2)

1. When the macro is done and the splash screen says "check connection", I get a Windows - No Disk error (Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c). Choices are "Cancel, Try Again, Continue". "Cancel" is obvious, it just cancels everything, "Try Again" results in "beep" and "Continue" then tries to run. Result is a second issue.

2. I get "The file C:Program Files\GSAK\POI Loader\Nuvi/Traditional Tourguide.gpx is invalid. Do you want to want to continue?" Note the "/" is not a typo!!. Also the "want to want" is verbatim. Choices are Yes and No. No cancels. Yes allows it (POIL) to continue and the rest of the files load. I reloaded the database from scratch without a fix. Due to size, I'll try a much smaller version and see if that fixes it. I'm thinking "bad record" again - one of the "Traditional" caches.

3. Checking the loaded files - still no hints.

I've now run it against two other smaller files and get the same results (#1 above - same message). Choosing "Continue" works but then I get the same #2 above. The Traditional Tourguide is still invalid. And still no hints.

Additionally, I noticed the first time I ran a different database that the load counts were wrong - more caches than the database has. I ran POIL manually and noticed that the target folder had not changed from the previous folder (I see you create a different folder for each database run). Correcting that fixed the record count so I knew I had the right folder. But still got the same "Traditional Tourguide" invalid error. Same for all other databases run.

A suggestion: (for the non-wide Nuvi) now that the child waypoints appear as "Child of GCXXXX", how about replacing the coordinates under the cache names with the GCXXXX code instead? What I mean is that the list of caches shows something like

GeocacheName/Tra/N/G

N54 34.678, W4.45.

LPHV3RD - Parking Are

Child of GCHV3RD

with

GeocacheName/Tra/N/

GCHV3RD

LPHV3RD - Parking Are

Child of GCHV3RD

..then it's easy to see that LPHV3RD belongs to the cache above (remember that it could be above, below, or beyond another cache in the list).

I would be against this as I like seeing the co-ords quickly again when I arrive at my desination without having to select the cache again. At the moment I can see them very fast with the cache list screen and that I think is much better :(

If you need the cache descriptions changed, the line controlling this in the macro is well documented and easy to change.

Edited by pilotsnipes

I would be against this as I like seeing the co-ords quickly again when I arrive at my desination without having to select the cache again. At the moment I can see them very fast with the cache list screen and that I think is much better :D

Fine - but remember that you can only see the partial coordinates (on the Nuvi 250, at least). I don't tend to use the coordinates.

If you need the cache descriptions changed, the line controlling this in the macro is well documented and easy to change.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I am getting the same error. Although the waypoints seem to load to the Nuvi, I notice that all my different DBs actually contain the same waypoints. 3.3.2 and 3.3.3

I am getting the same error. Although the waypoints seem to load to the Nuvi, I notice that all my different DBs actually contain the same waypoints. 3.3.2 and 3.3.3

What have I done??? Created a monster.....

I'll fix it. I need to do some testing. Give me 24hrs. Thought we finally had a stable product.....

WHEW!! Just checked. It's not putting identical waypoints in all of the databases. I don't know how your getting that result? Please delete the "POI Loader" folder in the gsak folder. And rerun your databases. Run POI Loader in manual mode (go to advanced options and turn off silent)and make sure it points to ...gsak\POI Loader

Edited by jjreds

What have I done??? Created a monster.....

I'll fix it. I need to do some testing. Give me 24hrs. Thought we finally had a stable product.....

If there's anything I can do to assist, please let me know.

Also - as a request - could you post a link back to 3.3.11 (or whatever the last before 3.3.2 was)?