* GPX files created by cache type

* Bitmaps created by cache type

* Option to run POI loader from the macro

* Include/exclude founds

* Include/exclude unavailable

* Travel bugs included

* Nuvi POI's sorted by database and type

* Deletes old versions of gpx files so you always have the latest data

* The various cache icons are included with the macro - automatically!!

Requires POI Loader 2.5.2.0

GSAK 7.2 Series

Pocket Queries from Geocaching.com

Opening menu:

menu1.jpg

Option to process another database or load the Nuvi

menu2.jpg

Connect your Nuvi and when ready press the Nuvi Connected button

menu3.jpg

Due to the mutiple database support all files will be created in the ....\GSAK\POI Loader folder.

Each database will be in its own folder named the same as the database. All of the files, folders and bitmaps are created and named according to their GSAK type automatically by the macro!! Just sit back and enjoy!!

menu4.jpg

Now your Nuvi has a list of your databases!!! Your can sort any way you want. Is this too much power?

61.jpg

When you open the database on the Nuvi you get the types like thiis......

73.jpg

Here's one I found today....

81.jpg

Let's not forget the travel bugs!!!

145.jpg

NOTE:

The POI Loader must be run manually the first time to remember the folder location. After that you can be on autopilot.

I'm new to this and haven't placed any caches [yet] and some of the obsure types don't have icons because I wasn't sure which one to use, I used the footprints for placed, if that's wrong it's easy to fix. Let me know how you like it and what needs to be changed/fixed and Happy Caching to ALL!!

Download latest version here: [/url]http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download

jjreds

Edited by robertlipe

Updated. TourGuide feature restored and available for all models. Enter alert distance for each database. POI Loader continues to run in silent mode.

Scroll down for the latest version.

Ver2.jpg

Enjoy.

Edited by jjreds

jjreds,

You may be better to include the sox file as a binary encode in the macro, so that the end user doesn't have to manually do this themselves.

I've just done that today with my macro, so feel free to use anything that's useful.

<< oops just seen you've been doing that with other files! Sorry! However I did use version 12.17.7 for sox, as that was apparantly used in a previous version of POILoader and that worked.>>

Edited by pilotsnipes

jjreds,

You may be better to include the sox file as a binary encode in the macro, so that the end user doesn't have to manually do this themselves.

I've just done that today with my macro, so feel free to use anything that's useful.

<< oops just seen you've been doing that with other files! Sorry! However I did use version 12.17.7 for sox, as that was apparantly used in a previous version of POILoader and that worked.>>

Yes I did that at first then I saw the macro was over 2mb and thinking it's getting too big. Going to try a different approach when I get some time.

Question: My 250 ignores a .jpg file but the other models use it when in TourGuide mode? The 250 just puts the waypoint in red at the top of the map window replacing the next instruction.

TourGuide is working on my 250 like a charm. I'm travelling and drove right up to a couple of "Easy Grabs" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.

This has great potential, great job.

Having a few problems though at the moment:

I set it up to for a Nuvi 7xx, hint at very end, alerts at 1500m and nothing else selected.

This was the output in the gpx file:

<wpt lat='53.372817' lon='-6.186483'>
	<ele>0.00</ele>
	<time>2008-05-01T00:00:00Z</time>
	<name>StAnnesArboret/Tra/N/GC10C37*</name>
	<cmt></cmt>
	<desc><br><br>**DESCRIPTION CUT**<br><br><font color=#008000>****<br>Hint: [Look for] 3 mature trees [at the] edge [of the] arboretum. Low.<br>****</font><br><br></desc>
	<link href="futurefeature.jpg"/>
	<sym>Information</sym>
	<extensions>
		<gpxx:WaypointExtension>
		   <gpxx:Proximity>1500</gpxx:Proximity>
			<gpxx:DisplayMode>SymbolAndName</gpxx:DisplayMode>
			<gpxx:Address>
				<gpxx:PostalCode>
N53° 22.369,W6° 11.189 
Tra/Mic/FFFF/Tb:Y, (D:1/T:1.5)
St Anne's - Arboretum by Bootle,
Pl:14/01/2007, LF:31/05/2008</gpxx:PostalCode>
			</gpxx:Address>
		</gpxx:WaypointExtension>
	</extensions>
</wpt>

There was no Description or logs, only the hint ? - I'll have to take a look at your code unless you can think of anything off hand?

Also, here's some ideas off the top of the head.

1) Prox distance - Why set a pre-defined limit/choice? Why not just have a text box here for the user?

2) Create Unfound Alert - perhaps "Create Alerts for unfound caches?" or similar?

3) Display hints should have: Before Logs, Very End, None. (Some nuvis are very slow at scrolling and it is a real pain in the a** having to scroll all the way down 30 pages just to get to the end of the logs, having "Before logs" helps in this process. Also that code is still in the macro I think.)

4) Need some error checking on the POILoader directory - I had this problem this morning. A bit of a pain in the backside too.

5) I really like setting the prox distance inside the gpx file, that's a nice touch.

There's so much in common with these macros that we should probably get together on this to have a "super" maco for advance and beginners, I'll get in contact with you via email..

<snip>

Having a few problems though at the moment:

I set it up to for a Nuvi 7xx, hint at very end, alerts at 1500m and nothing else selected.

<snip>

There was no Description or logs, only the hint ? - I'll have to take a look at your code unless you can think of anything off hand?

Also, here's some ideas off the top of the head.

1) Prox distance - Why set a pre-defined limit/choice? Why not just have a text box here for the user?

2) Create Unfound Alert - perhaps "Create Alerts for unfound caches?" or similar?

3) Display hints should have: Before Logs, Very End, None. (Some nuvis are very slow at scrolling and it is a real pain in the a** having to scroll all the way down 30 pages just to get to the end of the logs, having "Before logs" helps in this process. Also that code is still in the macro I think.)

4) Need some error checking on the POILoader directory - I had this problem this morning. A bit of a pain in the backside too.

5) I really like setting the prox distance inside the gpx file, that's a nice touch.

There's so much in common with these macros that we should probably get together on this to have a "super" maco for advance and beginners, I'll get in contact with you via email..

Thanks for pointing this out - fixing these bugs now will post an update.

Fixed logs on all series.

Prox distance: Enter any value (numeric) no type checking logic

Create Unfound Alert - now reads "Create Unfound Cache Alerts?"

Display hints now: Before Logs, Very End, No Hints.

Scroll down for latest version.

Sorry for the bugs, I am a very rusty programmer and not as good as I think I am. Anyone who has downloaded this macro should upgrade to the latest version. Happy Caching!!

Edited by jjreds

If you leave the prox alert box empty when you try to load them on your Nuvi you get an invalid file error, you might want to put a default value in here. (I am assuming that it's the problem, it's the only thing I changed to get them loaded.)

If you leave the prox alert box empty when you try to load them on your Nuvi you get an invalid file error, you might want to put a default value in here. (I am assuming that it's the problem, it's the only thing I changed to get them loaded.)

OK it will default to zero until it is changed the first time. Update now includes SOX.exe and all the bitmaps and soundfiles embedded as a ZIP file. The macro will unzip the files to install path\gsak\Temp and the move the SOX file to the POI Loader program folder as specified in the macro.

Scroll down for latest version.

Edited by jjreds

I like it, it looks good, A couple of questions:

Can we specify the folder that the exported files go into?

Is the "m" in the prox alerts Miles or meters?

My intent was to let the macro manage all of the folders and files under the hood, we could actually delete everything after a POI load since the data is static and I assume most folks are running PQ's in between loads to the Nuvi? There is a separate folder for each database if you're using that feature.....does it even matter where the files go now? As long as the POI Loader is pointed in the right direction the first time there is no reason to even worry about folders and file locations. Is there?

The "M" is for meters which is the native UOM for the Nuvi via a GPX file. I could add a FT/M option but I'll be taking a break for a while.

I have other POI files that don't get loaded and actually get deleted off of my nuvi if their not in the folder that is uploading. It would be nice to have them all in one place so I have them on my nuvi when I need them. Just something to think about, great job on the script.

I have other POI files that don't get loaded and actually get deleted off of my nuvi if their not in the folder that is uploading. It would be nice to have them all in one place so I have them on my nuvi when I need them. Just something to think about, great job on the script.

We could add an "Additonal/Other POI's" selection that would have the macro look in a specified folder and copy any files it finds there to POI Loader\XXXX folder. Just have to careful we don't match a database name or they could get mixed in with geocaches. We are also using the GPX file to set the proximity distance which overrides any POI Loader settings and allows silent mode operation.

UPDATED VER 2.2.1

Fixed bug where Proximity alerts were showing up when TourGuide mode was off.

Fixed log display bug caused by my lack of testing the "hide the hint" function.

Fixed log display on some Nuvi series.

Proximity distance can now be entered freeform.

Display hints now: Before Logs, Very End, No Hints.

Now includes SOX.exe and all the bitmaps and soundfiles embedded as a ZIP file.

The macro will unzip the files to install path\gsak\Temp and the move the SOX file to the POI Loader program folder as specified in the macro.

All other versions of the macro are obsolete.

Anyone who has downloaded and using this macro should upgrade to the latest version. Happy Caching!!

Find it here.

Edited by jjreds

Why not use GSAK to manage all of your data? I took a Speed Camera gpx file and loaded it into GSAK in

a database called "Speed Trap".

The macro now recognizes non-geo data in GSAK and also gives you the option to set radius, route, or no alarms for this data as well as all geocache databases. The current supported icons are Red Light Camera and Speed Trap. Selecting the "Other" icon will use the default Nuvi point.

Be sure "POI Icon" is set to "Geocaching Symbols" for your geocache data.

NewPicture5.jpg

Placed caches are now working correctly, you must enter the geo name on the main menu.

Note: When updating your databases you only need to run the macro for the databases that have changed since the last POI Loader run.

Scroll down for the latest version.

Edited by jjreds

I decided to clean up this macro and combine both versions. You now have a mode switch to change from "Basic" to "Advanced". I also rewrote much of the existing code to make it easier to add future enhancements and improve performance. I am disabling the links to V2.2.1 & V2.2.2.

To use advanced mode, setup new databases in GSAK:

1) "Red Light Cams" Load your Red Light Cam gpx files here

2) "Speed Traps" Load your Speed Trap gpx files here

3) "Other" Load any other POI gpx files here

Switch to Advanced Mode.

This example for Red Light Cams.

1) Select the Red Light Cam database.

2) Select POI Icon "Red Light Camera"

3) Select Alert Type "Proximity (On Route)"

4) Enter Alert Distance in meters

5) You will create a file called "Red Light Camera.gpx" and "Red Light Camera.wav" or

"Red Light Camera.mp3" (depending on your Nuvi Series) in folder "Red Light Cams".

Repeat for Speed Traps and Other POI databases. Be sure to select

the correct icon.

MAKE SURE you use "Geocaching Symbols" for your

geocaching databases when using advanced mode.

ADVANCED MODE:

NewPicture8.jpg

If just have one database and want your Nuvi to organize your caches by type/availability/found/unfound/placed then by all means download

this macro and run it in basic mode.

BASIC MODE:

NewPicture5-1.jpg

Scroll down for the latest version

I'd like to add a short siren sound for the proximity alerts on RLC's and ST's. If anyone would like to supply one I will include it in the next version of the macro.

Also is there any value to having the ability to set TourGuide alert distance by cache type? Example: I'd like to know about any Earthcache within 5 miles of my route, but I'm only interested in Traditional caches within 1/2 mile. Is this something you would use?

Edited by jjreds

Thanks for all the work on this macro. I just received a Nuvi760 for my birthday (thanks kids!) and am planing around with this macro to put caches on it.

Is there a way to customize the geocaching icons used? I have different icons that I'd like to use for the various caches types/states, but it seems the macro assigns those automatically.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for all the hard work.

--B.

I can't get that site to work and really like the look of that macro.

Is there a reason it's not hosted at GSAK like most other macros?

Any way you could email me a copy or provide a different download option?

Edited by dino-irl

This is looking great now. Congrats!! Will put my requests in here:

1) I think there should be a box for export folder...I received requests when doing the other macro for this, hard coding the export folder may not suit everyone

2) Yes, in the advance mode having different alert distances for certain caches could certainly have a great appeal.

3) Perhaps I'm missing something but my mp3 file always comes in at 1kb? Should there not be a ding wav/mp3 here? or are you just using the default on the garmin?

4) IF the dat file doesn't exist (ie first time user or upgrader) have a box pop up to remind/inform them of the POIloader requirement (ie to have it run once manually)

5) Perhaps move the init subroutine up towards the top to make is easier for people to edit the $waypointname variables?

Keep going!!

Edited by pilotsnipes

Is there a way to customize the geocaching icons used? I have different icons that I'd like to use for the various caches types/states, but it seems the macro assigns those automatically.

It could be done, it would take some work though. Right now the icons are zipped and encoded inside the macro. I'm open to suggestions on the icons.

I may have been uploading when you tried. Please try again.

GSAK has a limit of 500kb. This one is too big and growing bigger.

1) I think there should be a box for export folder...I received requests when doing the other macro for this, hard coding the export folder may not suit everyone

2) Yes, in the advance mode having different alert distances for certain caches could certainly have a great appeal.

3) Perhaps I'm missing something but my mp3 file always comes in at 1kb? Should there not be a ding wav/mp3 here? or are you just using the default on the garmin?

4) IF the dat file doesn't exist (ie first time user or upgrader) have a box pop up to remind/inform them of the POIloader requirement (ie to have it run once manually)

5) Perhaps move the init subroutine up towards the top to make is easier for people to edit the $waypointname variables?

Keep going!!

1) The problem with changing folders as I see it is POI Loader can get lost and load the wrong data if running in silent mode, mutiple files can get populated around the various folders and not get cleaned up. I'm open to your suggestion, I just need to resolve how to handle these issues. It's unfortunate that we cannot pass any paramter data back and forth with POI Loader (or it's possible and not documented)

2) I'll work on it. Time to play with arrays.

3) I fixed that. Must have got trashed somewhere along the line sorry.

4) Done.

5) Done.

I'm having a problem with the Red Light Camera file I downloaded, all of the names start with "Red Light Camera" and GSAK thinks they are updated waypoints to the first one and only loads one record. I've been playing around with a macro to parse the file and add some sequential numbers to the names to make them unique but cannot figure out how to do it. The files are here http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/ Any help would be appreciated. I'm not that familiar with regex.

Scroll down for latest version

Edited by jjreds

It could be done, it would take some work though. Right now the icons are zipped and encoded inside the macro. I'm open to suggestions on the icons.

I may have been uploading when you tried. Please try again.

GSAK has a limit of 500kb. This one is too big and growing bigger.

Keep going!!

1) The problem with changing folders as I see it is POI Loader can get lost and load the wrong data if running in silent mode, mutiple files can get populated around the various folders and not get cleaned up. I'm open to your suggestion, I just need to resolve how to handle these issues. It's unfortunate that we cannot pass any paramter data back and forth with POI Loader (or it's possible and not documented)

2) I'll work on it. Time to play with arrays.

3) I fixed that. Must have got trashed somewhere along the line sorry.

4) Done.

5) Done.

I'm having a problem with the Red Light Camera file I downloaded, all of the names start with "Red Light Camera" and GSAK thinks they are updated waypoints to the first one and only loads one record. I've been playing around with a macro to parse the file and add some sequential numbers to the names to make them unique but cannot figure out how to do it. The files are here http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/ Any help would be appreciated. I'm not that familiar with regex.

Download Ver 3.0.1 here.

Downloaded the new stuff !! Great thanks for the effort, works perfectly

Update.

Since this macro is a work in process it will be easier to let the macro check for updates by itself.

New ver 3.1 has an update button at the top right:

NewPicture9.jpg

If an update is found you will get an option to download:

NewPicture10.jpg

A web page will open with a link to download and a description of the changes.

Enjoy.

This is the last version to be posted here:

Download

Do you have instructions on how to use your macro - install/setup and then processing? Do you have to start off with a PQ? I'm totally new to this and was just about ready to start using the macro by Pilotsnipes. I'm confused now as to which to use - are the two of you now working on this one together - combining features/functions?

Mike

Do you have instructions on how to use your macro - install/setup and then processing? Do you have to start off with a PQ? I'm totally new to this and was just about ready to start using the macro by Pilotsnipes. I'm confused now as to which to use - are the two of you now working on this one together - combining features/functions?

Mike

Start with pilotsnipes macro. Once you're comfortable you can try this one. This one uses the paperless format created by pilotsnipes and adds additional functionality.

Wonderful macro and I really like it since I now use the NUVI instead of a laptop for road trip caching. :ph34r:

Question? Is there any way an individual can change the Traditional and the Multi cache to the regular gc.com icons? I find the current ones fairly large and different than the usual ones.

I also have the custom icons on my Garmin 60csx and would enjoy the same icons on both units.

Again, great macro and thanks for all of your work.

jjreds - I love the latest version of this macro. I was wondering, however, how I could change the icons that that are being used. I found other icons that I use with my GPSmap 60CS and would like to use them with this macro too - without having to manually drop them in each time.

The icons I am refering to can be found in THIS zip file - specifically the "Symbols - 60 Series" folder.

HOW TO CHANGE THE ICONS IN THIS MACRO.

The bitmaps are a matter of personal preference and you should be able to change them, I agree. I like the 24x24 bitmaps I know they are big but I am getting grey and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. In a future release I intend to make the Geocaching.com/GSAK icons as standard with options TBD by you the users. I'd really like a complete set of 24x24's and then we could have a "use large icons?" option for us old farts, if someone would like to contribute.

Right now I am working on the next major release which will allow you to set alerts based on type. There are 19 of them, including the three custom types I have added. When traveling I would be interested in visiting earthcaches within say 5 miles of my route but certainly don't want to hear about every TRA within a 5 mi radius.

Has anyone checked out the voice alerts for the red light cams and speed traps? They were created here.

A workaround to use your bitmaps now is:

Upgrade your macro to ver 3.1.9

Open the macro in the editor goto line 7:

NewPicture14.jpg

change False to True

Navigate to this folder:

NewPicture13.jpg

....\gsak\Temp is where the macro looks for the bitmaps and sound files. Replace any file in this folder and give it the exact same name.

This will probably come unglued when I get around to working on the change bitmap feature but that will be a while down the road. For now this will get you what you're looking for. Happy Caching!!

Edited by jjreds

Changing that value to True generates and error when the macro is run.

So until I have some more time to poke at it, I put the icons I want in place and modified the macro to not clean those up (but left the other cleanups in place).

I did see that when I tested and took care of it but it didn't get into the last upload, sorry. Please upgrade to 3.1.9 it is fixed there. The default is still SET $UseMyIcons_and_Sounds = False so you will have to make the edit. To avoid the upgrade message open GPX_by_Cache_Type.dat in notepad and change the version to 3.1.9 before you run the macro.

Here's a peek at an advanced option screeen in the next major release........

NewPicture15.jpg

I'm going to stop work on this for a little bit and setup an option page where you can change and save the waypoint description format, #logs, use alternate icons, etc. rather than having to edit the macro directly and re-edit everytime you upgrade (what a pain!). Will have it next week sometime.

Edited by jjreds

This is a great macro with a lot of potential. Thanks for the time and effort you've put in to it.

As I've played with this and PilotSnipes' macro today, it appears both are struggling scrubbing unruly characters from the hints, short description, and long description. In my case on a Nuvi 7xx, nothing appears after the initial screen (i.e., there's no "more" link and additional screens containing the cache page descriptions and logs). I added the following in various (I thought appropriate??) locations to scrub the pertinent variables in the cachedescription subroutine ...

$d_ShortDescription=RegExReplace("(s?)</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>",$d_ShortDescription,"")

$d_LongDescription=RegExReplace("(s?)</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>",$d_LongDescription,"")

$d_Hints=RegExReplace("(s?)</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>",$d_Hints,"")

$d_LText=RegExReplace("(s?)</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>",$d_LText,"")

$Logs=RegExReplace("(s?)</?[a-z][a-z0-9]*[^<>]*>",$Logs,"")

Historically, the above and removing the double quotes has worked for me when exporting to a 60CSx. Not being intimately familiar with the code, it's certainly possible I added the scrubbing in the wrong place. As noted in the comments, I was also unable to get the $_NewLine command to work in the "initial" screen.

I will be glad to send you a GPX/GSAK database with caches that will generate the above errors. As there's no attachment capability here, just drop me an email using my geocaching.com profile link if there's interest.

Again, thanks for a well done macro.

Edit: KorrectEd tYpoz 'n grammUr :laughing:

Edited by Tigerz

<snip>

I will be glad to send you a GPX/GSAK database with caches that will generate the above errors. As there's no attachment capability here, just drop me an email using my geocaching.com profile link if there's interest.

Again, thanks for a well done macro.

Edit: KorrectEd tYpoz 'n grammUr :laughing:

sent you an email. thks

Has anyone else had any problems with the macro locking up their Garmin Nuvi? I have a 750 and today on several occasions it locked up and I had to turn it off and on.

I was running the TourGuide feature with 2000 feet for proximity. I remember reading something in pilotsnipes page about Garmin needing to update a software feature. Is this the same thing?

The only issue I see is that some caches are duplicated (seems to be at random).

I just noticed this too with my 760--however, I am not sure it is random. It seems to happen with caches that have child waypoints. However, I can't tell which ones are the children as they all have the same co-ordinates. How does this macro support child waypoints?