My Friends Caches Pocket Query

j.a.g.k.

Is there a way for me to create a pocket query that will grab all my friend's caches... meaning all the caches that they've hid, as well as all the caches that they have found?

If not, then I would like to request this as a new feature.

Thank you,

-Jamie

Workarounds:

For your friends' hides, they can create bookmark lists of all their hides. Create a pocket query off that bookmark list.

For your friends' finds, they can upload their "All Finds" pocket query to the "It's Not About the Numbers" website. There, you'll find a tool for generating a list of common finds shared between you and your friend(s).

All of your friends would have to be premium members for these workarounds to help.

Bear in mind that you can't simply transfer your pocket query files to each other. So, thank you for asking about a compliant way of doing what you'd like to do.

Wouldn't it be cool if something like this was built in as a feature of the "Friends List" functionality sometime in the future?

I agree that's a great potential use of the friends. In fact, that's the only really useful thing I saw potentially coming out of the "Friends" feature: a way to find common found, or common unfound caches.

Let's say that a buddy of mine is coming to Chicago for a business trip, but has been here several times before caching. If we were set up as "Friends" through the system, I would bet dollars to donuts that it would be a snap for the PQ generator to add a scroll table of my friends right next to the "I haven't found" and list my Friends and add the criteria "Also not found by..."

Something like this:

3bf2875f-cdf2-4c3b-8a01-37aa5f9e9ac2.jpg

I agree that's a great potential use of the friends. In fact, that's the only really useful thing I saw potentially coming out of the "Friends" feature: a way to find common found, or common unfound caches.

Let's say that a buddy of mine is coming to Chicago for a business trip, but has been here several times before caching. If we were set up as "Friends" through the system, I would bet dollars to donuts that it would be a snap for the PQ generator to add a scroll table of my friends right next to the "I haven't found" and list my Friends and add the criteria "Also not found by..."

Something like this:

YES! This kinda what I'm looking for. I am just starting to meet other cachers and get together with them for a day of caching. The one friend has 1200+ finds to my mere 127! What I think would be really cool, is a way to overlay our maps so that we could see what areas we could attack together. It could show each friends finds in a different color smiley and joint finds in another. Then you can just pan around the map until you find a location with alot of unfound caches! Now that would be useful!

Something like this:

This would be AWESOME!

gathering 'friends' in anticipation... :lol:

Being a database administrator, the programming is not difficult if the friends association is already set up.

However, not being a programmer for the site, I do not know their time tables or all of the background details on how to set it up.

Edited by Markwell

You can do something similar in GSAK with the "filter" feature... but, like the "notaboutthenumbers" solution already proposed, it requires access to your friends' "finds" list (PQ) or their GSAK database (which appears to be encouraged to "share" between licensed versions of GSAK; it's at least encouraged between different machines).

I already do something with my s/o and caching partner to see where we "overlap." Unfortunately, there are only really provisions for one-to-one comparisons, and the caveat is that you have to setup GSAK so that it never purges logs from your friends (which can be daunting for the basic user). I imagine with a bit of ingenuity, though, you could probably manage a kludge'y workaround that involved filters and database merging, etc, that could get you the result list you were seeking.

Edited by russellvt

The "It's Not About the Numbers" solution only shares a comma delimited list of common caches. My understanding is that it's TOU compliant. Sharing an All Finds pocket query for importing into your friend's GSAK database is not TOU compliant. You may see statements to the contrary elsewhere.

Not exactly what the OP is asking, but along similar lines is the GSAK Group caching macro.

This macro is TOU compliant and you don't need a history of either of your logs for it to work.

You can find the macro here

Edited by ClydeE

Something like this:

Any lackey thoughts on this? It could be very useful.

Any lackey thoughts on this? It could be very useful.

I agree that more powerful search features such as this (as well as a few others) are pretty much "needed," but, as previously mentioned, there are also already workarounds using third-party products... personally, I think the GC folk have more interest in keeping people on their site, surfing (read: ad revenue, etc), rather than resorting to other solutions, and they have hinted at these sorts of things might already be on the way. But TPTB may also have other plans/ideas and/or priorities...

I agree that this would be a great feature, I'd even say number one on my wishlist.

I often go out cachiong with other cachers and we are having a really hard time putting together a tour containg caches that neither of us have found ...

-nik