How many of you don't read the cache page?

I was interested to read a recent comment about not reading the cache page (for trads) and this matches with my experience of some of my caches. People come and find the cache and make positive comments so I guess they enjoyed it. The only thing is the comments show that they probably haven't read the cache page. I've also had logs saying "tom beeped, we stopped, found it, went on". :D

So I was wondering how many people don't read cache pages and just plug the numbers in and go find the box?

I think it's rather sad not to read what is basically the 'invitation' to come and find the cache, and just make it an anonymous process. Should I not bother writing anything anymore on my cache pages? :)

When I'm hunting boxes I read the cache page and feel I consequently enjoy the caching experience more because of it. Being led round the countryside by Tom Tom and stopping when it beeps seems rather a depressing way to go caching.

Has the Traditional category of cache come to mean that no cache page is needed/wanted, it's just a set of co-ords?

Maybe I should try and set a trad that is impossible to find unless you read the cache page?! :) What, you didn't know about the alligators?! :D

Interested in people's views. B)

We try to read the cache pages as hopefully the cache is an interesting location or near where something happened or where someone famous lived etc. :)

But when away from home we have come across caches and found it without really looking at the page at the time; :D but we do read them later, :) well most of the time we do.

So I say write a decent page, we have commented in the past on logs when a basic page is written and there is something obviously interesting or out of the ordinary nearby, but the owner has just found a tree to stick a box or a film canister behind with no further thought.

Recently we were trying to complete a two-part puzzle cache: Having got half the required co-ordinates from one cache near us I needed to get the second set which were in a cache hundreds of miles away, so I contacted the most recent finder of that cache. Unfortunately, because he hadn't read the details of the other cache page, he hadn't realised that trad was part of a puzzle cache and so hadn't bothered to take note of the extra co-ords on the cache lid. :) But, being a true gent, he offered to go back to the cache and get them for me :) (Thanks, Mr B Clanger :D )

MrsB :D

I was interested to read a recent comment about not reading the cache page (for trads) and this matches with my experience of some of my caches. People come and find the cache and make positive comments so I guess they enjoyed it. The only thing is the comments show that they probably haven't read the cache page. I've also had logs saying "tom beeped, we stopped, found it, went on". :)

So I was wondering how many people don't read cache pages and just plug the numbers in and go find the box?

I think it's rather sad not to read what is basically the 'invitation' to come and find the cache, and just make it an anonymous process. Should I not bother writing anything anymore on my cache pages? :D

When I'm hunting boxes I read the cache page and feel I consequently enjoy the caching experience more because of it. Being led round the countryside by Tom Tom and stopping when it beeps seems rather a depressing way to go caching.

Has the Traditional category of cache come to mean that no cache page is needed/wanted, it's just a set of co-ords?

Maybe I should try and set a trad that is impossible to find unless you read the cache page?! B) What, you didn't know about the alligators?! :D

Interested in people's views. B)

Whilst on the move, we read the multis & puzzles but tend not to read the trads - our kids are too impatient & the pda battery life too short.

When we're planning our routes at home on memory map beforehand, Jane will check out all the caches to spot any gems.

Looking at your caches, I can vaguely recall why many of them are placed where they are.

Our kids will recall with clarity if each of your caches was a big box with treasure or not :)

When planning a trip I always read the cache pages and note if there is anything useful/essential to finding the cache (as opposed to interesting). I then mark these with a * on the list that I print from GSAK so that I know I need to read the sheet in the field. For multis etc I usually take a printout (abbreviated to a single page) rather than use the PPC - handy for scrawling notes around the margins.

Having never mastered paperless (well not YET anyway) I do read the cache pages carefully. I enjoy doing that - I'll read the details, click on any links about the location and check out the photos. I'll also read the logs if it looks like the cache is going to be tricky to find, to see if there's any more hints.

I actually enjoy 'doing the research' - it's interesting to find out a bit about a new area so I can tell the kids things about the area & find out other nearby interesting places to visit.

(I've just re-read my post & realised that it makes me sound just like a typical stereotyped teacher - guess what I do for a living! <_< )

.........Should I not bother writing anything anymore on my cache pages? <_< .......

Please don't stop. B) I'm one of those that really enjoys a good cache description with lots of info' on why it's been placed there, etc. I try to put as much as possible on my pages including links. As has been said above it's a good description/story that will entice me to visit.

I do accept, however, that there are many number freaks out there that don't - that's OK, let them play the game the way they want, they are free not to read the detail. I too, when catching a quick cache whilst passing on a work trip, might not always read the listing until afterwards, but I'll always read it.

A cautionary story: A new cache popped up near me one evening whilst I was at home on the PC. Knowing there are several prolific FTF hunters around here I grabbed the coords and rushed out. Hurrah, FTF! Cache duly logged I returned home with a smile on my face only to read the full description and, horror of horrors, there at the foot of the description (now kindly edited by the owner to save me embarrassment) was the request "This is a children's cache. Please let children be FTF". Lesson learned - I've never lived it down B) Sorry Sandford Sallies!

We are very new to caching and reading the cache pages is the only thing that determines where we go - otherwise we just wouldnt know which to choose.

By reading the descriptions and info , we have picked up so many interesting facts that we didnt already know about places right on our doorstep here in Bedfordshire.

Last weekend we wanted to go away for a walking weekend , but couldnt quite decide which of our favourite haunts to choose. It was only by reading the cache pages and descriptions that we made our choice...Church Stretton Shropshire. My usual bedtime reading has been replaced by reading cache pages ( is this a sign we are getting hooked ????? B) ) ....so please don't stop putting descriptions on cache pages otherwise newbies like us would be lost...maybe in some cases literally ! <_<B)

<_<

Welcome to this Forum, San54.

Please keep putting some information on the page about the cache area and why you chose it, everyone!... But don't over do it, either B) For a "trad" I think two or three short paragraphs with a link to further information (if necessary) is probably enough, unless it's a particularly difficult or complicated one. Scrolling down over masses of dense text can be a bit off-putting sometimes ... B)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

This is something that really caught my eye. As we are not yet paperless cachers I always read the pages and always give a full description on our own cache pages. Recently on one specific cache I have noticed a few negative comments in the logs regarding the ascent to the cache. Sometimes these can be a little off putting for future cachers. If they had read the cache page they would have been aware that I told them not to follow their gpsr which would be pointing up the equivalent of the North face of the Eiger, but to check local maps and follow the correct public footpath which the cache is placed on. Like I said I'm not a paperless cacher so I don't know how this affects those who are.

<_<

Welcome to this Forum, San54.

Please keep putting some information on the page about the cache area and why you chose it, everyone!... But don't over do it, either B) For a "trad" I think two or three short paragraphs with a link to further information (if necessary) is probably enough, unless it's a particularly difficult or complicated one. Scrolling down over masses of dense text can be a bit off-putting sometimes ... B)

MrsB

Of course the flip side to this is in the case of a series of say 15 along a canal. Even with only a single paragraph on the date the canal was built, who by, when it closed, when it was restored etc. it gets rather monotonous by the third time of reading - let alone the 15th.

Of course the flip side to this is in the case of a series of say 15 along a canal. Even with only a single paragraph on the date the canal was built, who by, when it closed, when it was restored etc. it gets rather monotonous by the third time of reading - let alone the 15th.

Surely one uses a little bit of common sense and only reads it the once <_< ! We have done this with our Oxford Canal series followed by a relevant picture (in most cases), followed by a little bit more information specific to that section of the canal.

We do like to see a bit of info about the area included on the cache listing, although I have to admit that I don’t always read it until after, when doing the logs. It generally IMHO shows that the owner has put a little bit of effort into placing the cache and a reasonable description of the location etc often reflects in the quality of the cache placement as well.

Hmmmmm. We don't have any trails like that around here, so I was just wondering what I'd do if I was going to set one...

Maybe put all the info on the first in the series, then on nos. 2 to 14 the cache description could just read "And another one... <link to first cache description>". Then the 15th would just have "THE END - Time to find refreshments". B)B)<_<

MrsB

I agree wholeheartedly with nearly all the comments given here. Caching for me is a four stage process:

1: Study the cache page notes and also most of the recent logs to try and get a mental picure of how to go about finding it. If it's an interesting location, I also research it on the web.

2: Study the OS map and the aerial photos.

3: Go and find it (or not as the case may be!)

4: Try and compose something for the log which will be both memorable for me and interesting for others to read.

Whenever I have tried doing more than about ten caches at once, many of them end in failure because I haven't researched them properly beforehand.

One cacher recently wrote in his notes for one of my multi-caches "couldn't find the 35mm box at stage 2". I had actually removed it from the trail over nine months ago! He was using printouts about a year old! <_<

Edited by Fuchsiamagic

Hmmmmm. We don't have any trails like that around here, so I was just wondering what I'd do if I was going to set one...

Maybe put all the info on the first in the series, then on nos. 2 to 14 the cache description could just read "And another one... <link to first cache description>". Then the 15th would just have "THE END - Time to find refreshments". :DB)<_<

MrsB

That's fine if you're expecting every finder to do every cache in the series in sequence........but I've got one of these trails, and I still get people doing one or two just because they were in the area. B)B)

Each of the caches is a cache in it's own right, and not just part of a series....

It is nice to have a brief description/history of the area on the cache page, and its interesting for the cache setter to research it as well.

However, if the page is too long I find I just skim over it or I don't read it at all.

A long page is not fair for those having to print it off, or trying to scroll down their PDAs - so I would personally prefer the information condensed as much as possible.

Links to webpages for those interested and want to read further is more helpfull, and if we are genuinely interested and want to know more, there is always Mr. Google and we would research further ourselves.

If you do change details on the page or to the clue which are relevant to finding the cache, a note as a log explaining you have done it is more likely to get picked up than re-reading the page.

When away for a weekend, we may change our route last minute, or be able to fit in a few more caches so pages won't have got read until we return.

It is often fun just having the cache title and clue and then guessing what is going to be when we get there, then you can read the page when you get home before logging. We did this at a cache called 'No Peeking', hadn't a clue what we were going to, had fun guessing along the way what it could be - a sculpture, a hole in the wall, in the full view of nosey neighbours ......... Got there to be confronted with high scruffy hoardings all around and parked on the grass verge scratching out heads as to what was beyond. A guy stepped out the gate wearing a boiler suit and wellies, gave us the evil eye and went in again. We quickly grabbed the cache and jumped back in the car feeling we shouldn't be there. Curious we read the PDA - eeek, fits of giggles, well I neva, good job we didn't have cameras round necks or binoculars out - it was only a bloomin' Nudist Camp! Best laugh we have had in a long time! (thanks to Mandy!).

We would normally read up on a handful of caches in an area we intend visiting and then do whatever else is there when we get there. As well as having the Mio running TomTom & MemoryMap, MrsD will sometimes use a laptop (in the car) connected to the Etrex, view Memorymap on the 'big screen', read the cache pages and decide what to do next.

What I DO find irritating is when people log a find and mention something negative which has already been warned about in the cache listing <_<

A long page is not fair for those having to print it off, or trying to scroll down their PDAs

I don't know about the fairness of it but could I make a plea to those who are publishing a long page to put cache details and access at the top of the page. It's not that I mind the scrolling down so much but on occasions CacheMate has truncated the entry leaving me floundering.

Geocaching for me is about visiting new places and finding out about new area's so I read the cache page to help in choosing which caches to visit. Having chosen an interesting set of caches I generally then sweep the local area whilst I am there.

I like to read the listings as (as others have said) it can give you further information about the cache/area etc. Its nice to see a bit of history behind a cache location or stunning view.

I have come to dislike the caches with one line listings like "Micro cache with log - bring your own pen". Why would I visit the spot other than to bump up my numbers, is there nothing of interest in the vacinity.

A few of these have led to totally naff locations where the only reason to put a cache there was a tree/wall with a hole in it.

IMHO - a good listing raisies the hunters expectations and makes it worth looking forward to.

Mind you there are also the odd one or two with a great listing but the location turns out to be less than expected.

... swings and roundabouts.

<_<

A long page is not fair for those having to print it off, or trying to scroll down their PDAs - so I would personally prefer the information condensed as much as possible.

If you do change details on the page or to the clue which are relevant to finding the cache, a note as a log explaining you have done it is more likely to get picked up than re-reading the page.

It is often fun just having the cache title and clue and then guessing what is going to be when we get there, then you can read the page when you get home before logging. We did this at a cache called 'No Peeking', hadn't a clue what we were going to, had fun guessing along the way what it could be - a sculpture, a hole in the wall, in the full view of nosey neighbours ......... it was only a bloomin' Nudist Camp! Best laugh we have had in a long time! (thanks to Mandy!).

Some interesting points. I'm glad that most people value an informative cache page, I know I do.

I suspect I've been a bit guilty of rather long cache pages now and again, but I'm getting more succinct in recent times (except LQ:Cumbria!! B):D ). In a series I do try and repeat the key basic facts on each page - just a sentence usually, before the details about this particular cache. I guess if there's 15 on 2 miles of canal you're going to struggle to say something very unique about each one! Luckily I've not had to face that problem - most of my series are quite well spaced out.

Using a note to flag up changes is a good idea.

I was asked by a local cacher who was paperless to name my additional waypoints with the start of the cache name. This means they end up next to the cache in the database, or something, and all the various parking areas don't get confused. So, I've been trying to do that.

I'm not at all against living in the 'now' and going a bit blind into finding a cache, but I guess it can lead to some adventures you might prefer to miss. Like some have said though, it's then a bit rich to complain about the hill, fence, alligators etc in the log!

<_< at PP's nudist camp escapade! B)

(Should there be an attribute for having to take your clothes off?!)

Having never mastered paperless (well not YET anyway) I do read the cache pages carefully. I enjoy doing that - I'll read the details, click on any links about the location and check out the photos. I'll also read the logs if it looks like the cache is going to be tricky to find, to see if there's any more hints.

I actually enjoy 'doing the research' - it's interesting to find out a bit about a new area so I can tell the kids things about the area & find out other nearby interesting places to visit.

(I've just re-read my post & realised that it makes me sound just like a typical stereotyped teacher - guess what I do for a living! B) )

Must be a teacher thing because I am the same! <_< I am not paperless yet either and I do the same thing - read it online, click links, check photos, read past logs if necessary. I also make a note of any recommended eating places, cafes, pubs from the logs - and we sometimes plan to go there and have lunch or coffee before/after doing the cache. This has been especially useful if we are travelling somewhere, or spending time in a new area when on holiday etc. Also sometimes the cache descriptions tell you about other things to look out for on your way to the cache or nearby - and that's good too.

A long page is not fair for those having to print it off.....

Printing off the whole cache page is hardly environmentally, or economically, friendly! Far better to cut & paste the relevant bits for many caches onto a single sheet.

Caching for me is a four stage process:

1: Study the cache page notes and also most of the recent logs to try and get a mental picure of how to go about finding it. If it's an interesting location, I also research it on the web.

2: Study the OS map and the aerial photos.

3: Go and find it (or not as the case may be!)

4: Try and compose something for the log which will be both memorable for me and interesting for others to read.

Knowing Fuchsiamagic personally he left out a stage:

2A: Use every which way I can to Google the stages before I set out to shortcut the cache!!! <_<

My fiance tends to download the co-ordinates and I read the pages when I can, we have only done northumbria where we live so far but I have still found interesting little bits of info I didnt know

I also like the clues as my fiance looks around and I can say well it said under a tree stump etc

I think its much better to read the pages before you go out if you can

I tend to read everything to gauge what sort of site it is and estimate how long it will take me to find the cache. However, judging by occasional comments I get on my caches and what poor EspritS and others recently had to endure an awful lot of people don't bother reading the cache page at all and then leave whining logs because they simply had not read the bit that explained what else was required to find the cache, or the difficulty rating! :grin:

I don't often get involved in the forum debates for the reasons I will outline below, but this thread urged me to pass comment:

We have been caching for 3 yrs now and have for a long time held the view that Geocaching is many things to many people. It is true that some people literally treat each cache as 'just a number' (we have certainly been guilty of that at one time or another), other's treat each cache as a unique experience to be aborbed and enjoyed in its own right before considering the next (we've also done that).

The many point I would like to bring out is that when setting a cache, we all need to consider that all types of people will do a cache in a multitude of ways none of which can be wrong or incorrect because we're all individuals doing things the way that suits us.

I'm not commenting about this, but ideally people should at least glance at the cache page.

There are caches which are placed on MOD Managed Access Land. Whilst these are Military Training Areas, they are also Open Access Land over which the public has the right to roam. However there are Bye Laws which apply, including Not picking up or allowing children to pick up unknown/metallic objects.

Also some have Live Firing Ranges which are only marked out by Red Flags, the lines of which must not be crossed when the flags are flying. In both cases, cache owner are required to post a warning to the cache page about both.

If your not even seeing the cache pages in the above, your running the risk of not being aware your on MOD Managed Access Land, the obeying of the Bye Laws is a requirement for accessing the land.

There are many reasons to read--or at least scan--the cache page for even simple hunts: special instructions, restrictions, history, and important logs from other cachers. In some cases you must read the description to do the cache as intended.

The challenge is that there are so many caches. How do you find the time to read even a small fraction of them? When I research caches for a trip there are often thousands of potential hunts. Even after heavy filtering there may be hundreds of caches to choose from along a route or in an urban area. I try to make use of local bookmark lists but they are inconsistent. I use a PDA to store queries but that has limits and still takes considerable time. There's my phone which can fill in with real-time searches in coverage areas but takes more time. Groundspeak's search abilities are good and getting better but are far from sanitary.

It has gotten to the point that I often run out of time, pick a handful of caches (out of hundreds) to do based on gut feel, and ignore the rest. Sometimes I aim for only requirements in challenge caches--anything to narrow the research to something reasonable. What do you do when faced with hundreds of caches to choose from and time to read only a few of them?

I'm not commenting about this, but ideally people should at least glance at the cache page.

There are caches which are placed on MOD Managed Access Land. Whilst these are Military Training Areas, they are also Open Access Land over which the public has the right to roam. However there are Bye Laws which apply, including Not picking up or allowing children to pick up unknown/metallic objects.

Also some have Live Firing Ranges which are only marked out by Red Flags, the lines of which must not be crossed when the flags are flying. In both cases, cache owner are required to post a warning to the cache page about both.

If your not even seeing the cache pages in the above, your running the risk of not being aware your on MOD Managed Access Land, the obeying of the Bye Laws is a requirement for accessing the land.

TBB you'd have to be blind or stupid to make it onto a live firing range without knowing about it :)

TBB you'd have to be blind or stupid to make it onto a live firing range without knowing about it :(

Actually you'd be surprised how often it happens :)

TBB you'd have to be blind or stupid to make it onto a live firing range without knowing about it :(

Actually you'd be surprised how often it happens :)

Justback from Dorset where the cache description warns that you can only do the cache when the 'range' is open to the public - together with a link to dates and times.

Sometimes we speed read the cache and miss out important points.

Keep up with a good description and background even if we do speed read them!

Peter

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and find that I need to read the whole cache page to see what challenge I've got ahead. Also I've not got enought confidence to try paperless caching and have a little notebook that I copy the main points of cache page.

So far the best one I have come across is near Bristol Airport (click me). Not attempted this one yet but it is in my list to do. :(

I usually read the cache page, but only when "paperless" caching and when the description is reasonably concise and relevant. Sometimes it's actually more convenient to print off caches on paper, and in those cases I rarely read the description.

In case you hadn't realised, GSAK is capable of printing a very good summary list of caches: name, rating, hint, summary of recent logs etc. So if you're following a trail (for instance) you can just have a single sheet at hand and get all you really need for perhaps 40 caches.

Obviously, you back that up with a Cachemate database on the PDA in case it becomes apparent that you need the full description (or to check recent logs more fully).

With caches that I've set recently, I've made an effort to strike a balance between essential detail and background info, with the latter kept to a minimum (plus a link to a more detailed web site for those who are interested enough).

I'm fairly new to Geocaching and find that I need to read the whole cache page to see what challenge I've got ahead. Also I've not got enought confidence to try paperless caching and have a little notebook that I copy the main points of cache page.

So far the best one I have come across is near Bristol Airport (click me). Not attempted this one yet but it is in my list to do. :(

Welcome to the Forum :D

That is an excellent cache page! Well worth reading in advance, just to get you in the mood. We'll put that on our "to do" list - MrB is a big fan of those monsters :)

MrsB

Don't know if many of you are aware of Portuguese geocaching, but there's a trend to compose the cache description with text, pictures, translations, etc.

Sometimes they get too long and we pass by them. It's difficult to find the right balance. After all, when we setup a cache we try to give some background information about the site, history, etc, then, of course, tell how to find the container.

Last week we edited some of our listings. We felt the text was too long. So, we left a small description with pics and a link to external sites with more information for whom it may concern.

We don't like pages with text only. No info at all and no pictures.