Directions From My Home

briansnat

I noticed a new Directions From My Home link on the cache page. While it's helpful to a point, it appears to bring

the driver to the road nearest the cache, which often isn't the best access point, and sometimes may be an illegal access point.

While this is no different from what a GPS does if you are using autorouting, it does make the feature available to many more cachers and may direct more people to a potentially problematic access point. I can see clueless geocachers crossing private property and other off limits areas because "the website said this is where I was supposed to enter".

I just think that a disclaimer should appear after clicking on the link warning users that the feature will direct the user to an access point that might not be legal.

Edited by briansnat

Aside from the disclaimer, one enhancement to this feature would be for it to provide directions to parking coordinates (if they were included as a child waypoint) rather than directions to the cache itself. That would help alleviate the problems of giving directions across private property. If no child waypoint for parking existed, then the coords to the cache should be used. In the event that multiple parking child waypoints are specified, the closest one to the logged-in cacher's home coordinates could be used just for simplicity.

Edited by DocDiTTo
I noticed a new Directions From My Home link on the cache page.

OK, I may be blind. Where is it? (What is it near?) I just can't find it.

On the cache page under "For Online Maps":

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type, that I haven't found

...all nearby caches, that I haven't found

...all nearby waymarks on Waymarking.com

...all nearby benchmarks

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Google Map

MyTopo Maps

Google Maps

Google Satellite

Google Hybrid

Directions From My Home

MapQuest

Microsoft MapPoint

Yahoo Maps

Rand McNally

Terraserver

Tiger Census Maps

Hmmmm.... I don't think this is a new feature...

Briansnat, are you using the Prime Suspect's Greasemonkey plugin to add additional maps? I noticed when I turn Greasemonkey off the "Directions from my Home" went away. I don't think it's a GC feature as I first thought.

That would also explain why others aren't seeing it.

Ok, so now we have a new feature request.... :D

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Google Map

MyTopo Maps

Google Maps

Google Satellite

Google Hybrid

Directions From My Home

MapQuest

Microsoft MapPoint

Yahoo Maps

Rand McNally

Terraserver

Tiger Census Maps

Hmm...I don't have that one listed in my For online maps section....is there some random option somewhere we have to select to make it appear? Nor do I have the Google Satellite or Google Hybrid options... :D

edit:...now I see your next reply...whoops. yep, sounds like a new feature request!

Edited by butrflybec

Hmm...I don't have that one listed in my For online maps section....is there some random option somewhere we have to select to make it appear? Nor do I have the Google Satellite or Google Hybrid options... :D

It's an add-in to Firefox, available here.

Not a new website feature as I originally thought. Sorry for the confusion, but it's all Brian's fault. :)

:)

Edited by DocDiTTo

Hmm...I don't have that one listed in my For online maps section....is there some random option somewhere we have to select to make it appear? Nor do I have the Google Satellite or Google Hybrid options... B)

Not a new website feature as I originally thought. Sorry for the confusion, but it's all Brian's fault. B)

<_<

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle.

Hmm...I don't have that one listed in my For online maps section....is there some random option somewhere we have to select to make it appear? Nor do I have the Google Satellite or Google Hybrid options... <_<

Not a new website feature as I originally thought. Sorry for the confusion, but it's all Brian's fault. B)

B)

Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle.

We as the community sentence you to 10 lashes with a wet noodle for misleading us. :D

B)B)