Coin Inventory

grp318

I am starting to buy a bunch of geocoins for my personal collection. I am not sure if I will set them free, but I am going to activate them. I was reading on the forums here and I created a cache using my home location and did not publish it. I then archived it in order to put my coins in side. Was this right?

Second question. Can I delete a cache I own? If I decide not to use this method can I publish it and request it be deleted?

Thanks.

The closest thing to deleting a cache is to archive it. If it's never been published then no one, except Groundspeak staff and volunteers, can access it. If it has been published then anyone with the waypoint or GCcode can open it but it won't show up in searches.

I keep my activated coins in a cache I've created but never put into the review queue so it was never published. I've since archived it so it can't make it's way to the queue by mistake. Even with a gccode someone else cannot open it except from my account.

Once the (unpublished) cache is archived, how do you go back to it? It does not show up in my cache list.

i just use a cache that was stolen and then archived, to put my coins in virtually. i like the icons but don't like to have to wade through a ton of coins to find the one i have to place.

rsg

I guess I never got the concept of creating an archived cache to store coins? Why not just activate the coin and leave it in your trackabel items with 0 mileage? Why put them in a cache? Am I missing a purpose here?

We put our activated coins in a cache that we had earlier archived. The reason for this is because when we pick up someone else's coin or TB to move, it's difficult to sift through 300+ coins listed to find the correct one to drop into the next cache.

Once the (unpublished) cache is archived, how do you go back to it? It does not show up in my cache list.

You can look it up by GC # or I just go to my trackables page and click on one of my coins. Since they are all in the archived, unpublished cache, I can get to the location from any of the coin pages.

You can look it up by GC # or I just go to my trackables page and click on one of my coins. Since they are all in the archived, unpublished cache, I can get to the location from any of the coin pages.

When I set this up for myself, I made a point of putting a coin or two in right away after I archived it and still had it on my screen. I had read a couple of posts from people who have "lost" their unpublished cache because they didn't put anything in it and there didn't seem to be a way to find it after. Unless a more experienced coiner knows how to do this??