Rustenburg and surrounds

Carbon Hunter

Just our two cents worth...

If you want nice area, ... There are a lot of new caches being placed towards

Rustenberg..

That said, have a great day.

CrystalFairy.

Just want to echo and agree to CrystalFairy's sentiments. A whole bunch of caches have sprung up in and around Rustenburg. Some a re brilliant. There are the historically aimed Tonteldoos (3 of the series there) - the environemtnally aimed ones (Swartwitpens and even an Earthcache in Pilanesburg) - plus a whole bunch of others - some very sneaky and pretty (Safari View) - others are really quick roadsies (Buffelspoort / Kroondal / Mooinooi).

So I can only recommend the area. Between RedGlobe, Arwen_SA, Strider_SA, cslyoda and concol - there really seemes to be a bit of a proliferation in that area. So move further afield and enjoy a good day out.

I did most of the caches in the Rustenburg area and can recommend that they are very well planned and executed and save as one of the cachers knows the danger areas due to police experience. The caches cater for all (young energetic, older cachers and kids), yes the listing needs to be reviewed for and warnings i.e. not kids friendly. Rustenburg has the nature on there side thus a lot of the caches will provide for brilliant views and experience of nature at its best, added to the nature Rustenburg has rich history and provide some interesting sites.

Some new teams have joined Geocaching in the Brits area and will be more active soon. :D:D

P.S. I need more competition on the FTF’s in that area :) (in Pta and Jhb you need to be on the cache within the 1st hour but in Rustenburg I can leave it for a week) :)

We did more caching in the Rustenburg area today. The one cache that was outstanding and is a MUST if any one decides to visit the area is “Tierkloof Falls GC1BXER”. The cache brought back memories of “Pilgrim’s secret GCXYEN” and “Storm strikes 50 GCZ3WC”.

I was trolling Groundspeak looking at the various areas that I have cached internationally and was really suprised to see the growth in the number of caches in the Rustenburg area. It is beautiful there and many of the caches are in locations that will take you to places that the average "passer-by" would not normally go to.

Reading through the caches one sees that not many cachers visit them and this brings up a couple of questions. Are there that many caches in the Greater Gauteng area that keep all cachers so busy that they do not venture out to the "platteland"? Is there some perception that Rustenburg and surrounds is too far from Gauteng for a day visit? :D

I can assure you that having done most of the caches in the area a while back, and I am sure that the likes of Team Ginger, Red Globe and Dakardrix will confirm that these caches are well worth the effort. In fact there are sufficient to keep one busy for a whole weekend and longer if the Pilanesberg National Park is brought into the equation. AND the BIG BONUS is that Rustenburg does not have the high crime rates of Gauteng either. :)

Happy caching and enjoy the splendors of the Magaliesberg in the Rustenburg area.

Hi I have finally completed ALL the Rustenburg caches and picked up another FTF…..Now the waiting for more fun in the area…..Where and when is the promised event cache???? :):)

HEEhee - just as Cincol jets in - and I'm sure will leave a bevvy of new caches for you to look for!

Be Prepared for yet another trip to Rustenburg.

Is an event in the offing?

An Event has been arranged for Rustenburg!! :):P Yep - you better believe it. Once Fish Eagle gets around to publishing it you can get all the details by looking up "Rustenburg Ramble".

The Event will take place 11 October 2008 at 09h30 with a breakfast at Mugg & Bean. The co-ords have been published. Bookmark the page for up-dates between now and then. I will be dropping a heap of TB's & coins that can be collected by attendees. There are at least 20 caches in the immediate area and I [we] will be placing a few more between now and then.

Come along on the 11th an enjoy a caching outing away from the rigors, stresses and dangers of Gauteng! Come to the beautiful North West Province and enjoy the unpolluted air of the Magaliesberg Mountains. Watch eagles souring in the clean air and dung beetles enjoying what they enjoy! B)

Hope to see a few faces around. I will be flying out later that evening. Either way, I will be having breakfast at Mugg & Bean that morning! :D

Here is the link for the Event. Rustenburg Ramble Event

I spent 4 years of my life in Rustenburg (from ages 10 - 14).

We will unfortunately miss out on the event, as we are driving up to Gauteng that Saturday, but is planning to be in Rustenburg the next Sunday (19th) visiting family. Will try and do as many caches while up there. If any of the locals want to join us, please let me know via email.

Cheers from Toti...

Willem aka Ysbeer

If any of the locals want to join us, please let me know via email.

Cheers from Toti...

Willem aka Ysbeer

Contact Strider_SA - I am sure he would love to join up with you.

There is a new cacher in Rustenburg “fstols” that needs to do the caches in the area. If you can hook-up with him and also provide some caching tips to him, it will be a good experience to both parties.

I was out in this area yesterday, it definitely has great potential for GeoCaching, but part of the experience for me, is to just check out the area, shops, etc etc.

Its an area that is not very well geared towards tourists. Well that's just from my first trip there.. :)

Gerhard

You are planning to do some caching in North West?:

If you are using the R104 from Harties you can do some very good caches on your way to Rustenburg. A “must do” on your list is the caches in the Rustenburg Nature Reserve i.e GC1BXER.

Hope this will help you on the planning of your trip