Getting a geocaching club together?

I had posted this in the "organized" caching forum, but I've seen nothing and realize that it isn't read as often as these forums. So I'm hoping out here might get some thoughts and feedback.

There has been talk in my area about organizing a geocaching club and I was curious if anyone out there might be willing to share how they organized a club, what they do for clubs etc. and how things run? I think it would be fun in my area, but just curious what kind of things should be done to start, plan etc.

Thanks for any help! Feel free to post or mail me through the website!

The "clubs" in Southern California that i am familiar with are not especially "organized". They are loose associations without officers, by-laws, or formal structure. Some have regular events, and some have sporadic events. Some have regular group cache outings, and others don't. Most simply have a web page with forums for local or specialized discussions.

In fact, I haven't seen a formally organized geocaching club. Most are just a website, others don't have their own forums--they use a thread in the regional forums on this site.

Clubs that formally organize (establish charters, incorporate, etc.) are generally those with physical assets or need to enter contracts. For example a model railroad club may have a track layout and the associated electronics, which they need to keep somewhere. Rocket clubs may need to rent a flying field and interface with the FAA, etc.

I agree with the suggestion to host an event and include a discussion for those interested. See if there is enough interest to "organize" the group. Unless there is a reason for formality, it would probably be best to go the loose association route.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

In fact, I haven't seen a formally organized geocaching club. Most are just a website, others don't have their own forums--they use a thread in the regional forums on this site.

Yo! Washington State Geocaching Association (WSGA) is a formal club with bylaws, dues, elected officers, etc. As you suggest, it was originally created to negotiate with the WA state parks folks regarding geocaching issues, but it also hosts events (like our annual campout), sponsors our Cache of the Month competition, creates geocoins and branded merchandise, provides info on its website about park policies, etc. Oddly, the WSGA forums are not very active; we seem to prefer the Northwest forum here, unlike many state groups.