Armadillo Geocoin

Ble68

Armadillllo.jpg

Here is a new idea. It will be trackable. I haven't designed the back yet. No colors, size ect. have been decided either. I just want to see if there is any interest. Any suggestions or feedback are welcome!

Edited by Ble68

Paganfog- I haven't decided. I want to include some type of texture and color. I will have to work with it.

Fairyhoney- I agree. Something has to be done with the claws. I think that it would be very costly the way it is right now because between each toe there would be a cutout. I have to change that.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

That coin is going to look absolutely fantastic!!! My recommendation would be go for textured metal and using translucent enamels over top. It will look absolutely fantastic.

I don't think I would change anything about the design. If Armadillos have claws, then leave the claws.

You are on to a definite winner here - guaranteed!

Great work!

Edited by keewee

That coin is going to look absolutely fantastic!!! My recommendation would be go for textured metal and using translucent enamels over top. It will look absolutely fantastic.

I don't think I would change anything about the design. If Armadillos have claws, then leave the claws.

You are on to a definite winner here - guaranteed!

Great work!

i have to agree with keewee here. but then i just love armadillos so a coin would be awesome!

( Maybe the claws shouldn't be so pointed?)

LMAO!! Are you kidding? Have you ever seen an armadillo up close? Their claws are scary long & sharp!

I like it too. IMHO the armadillo side would look great textures but no enamels - antique finishes (I admit I am biased towards antique finishes) perhaps 3d so the top is curved a bit. Don't change it too much. I should be a shaped coin. :)

CF30

Since the pattern reminded someone of tire treads, why not run with it?

Imagine this: the back has a definite tire tread going diagonally across it, with one of the following sayings:

- Keep your eyes open for the wildlife, as well as the caches!

- FTF isn't *that* important

- FTF doesn't mean 'First to Flatten!'

- Armadillos don't obey traffic signs, so you need to

I'm confused by the design as it's only a sketch at this point. Is it intended to be an armadillo road kill? If so might the little beastie look more realistic on its side with the tire tracks across it? At least all the road kills I've seen, except for snakes, have been on their side not flattened.

Cool idea.... I'm interested.

I'm all for it. Believe it or not, I've got some sketches of a personal coin and pathtag that I was working on with the central character being an armadillo. My project is on hold until I can sell a house though. :) However, I should still be able to get the pathtags done in July.

I always thought that the armadillo would make a good subject, b/c they're sort of cute and they have lots of interesting details (pig snout, plates on the shell, claws, etc.).

I'll be on the lookout for your coin!

Yep...Id say it'll do well to! :rolleyes: You could call him the "Armored Cacher" maybe for the back, you could either show the detail of the under side, Some clever little Armored cacher saying, or maybe some geocaching characterisitcs of an armadillo... :D Dunno, but Im sure it wouldmake a great coin, specially for Texans! You got Armadillo's in PA?

Thanks everyone! No armadillos here Big D I just think they are another unique animal in this world! It is not supposed to be roadkill. I can see how it may look that way lol. Well since I no idea what to do for a back how do you feel about one side regular and the other decorative and colorful?

I vote for normal colored or plain metal and a "fiesta edition".

The first time I saw a live armadillo was while doing some night caching in Alabama. It was just after midnight and Something that sounded huge was crashing around in the underbrush! :D It turned out to be an armadillo! He wasn't scared at all, he just went about his business as noisily as he could. When you are armored you don't have to worry about anything eating you, so you can make as much noise as you want!

Go For It Ble.

Love the awesome colors that Jackie mentioned, and I think it could be a very cute coin idea. I think it is going to go over very well. We would def order some. My wife would love this if it is a different shaped coin and she loves colors. I will have to show the pics to her when she comes home this evening.

Barry of sweetlife

I like the idea of one colourfull side and one antik finish.

But on the other hand, that wouldn't leave any room for a cool slogan.

So maybe it's a better idea to have different editions.

From the drawing it looked very cool just metall, but the mexican colourfull style has a great appeal for me!!!

The backside could be the tummyside with the same love for detail and tracking number.

I definitely would want one. Or two, or three...

ElliPirelli

*snip* Well since I no idea what to do for a back how do you feel about one side regular and the other decorative and colorful?

Ooh! I like that idea!

And to keewee: Armadillos have been seen at least as far north as St. Louis, MO. I was driving to work one day and saw one dead on the side of the road... :D A Conservation Ranger I spoke to confirmed my "sighting" and said that they were definitely moving up in the world... :)

CF30

I would love to see it done with lots of colors like the Mexican Alebrije wood carvings :D

benitez-armadillo-large.jpg

Armadillo-600.jpg

WOW :)

what beautifull wood carvings! I'm amazed.

Any ideas on how to get one?

PL

i'll try to follow the pictures links :)

You can find many different animal carvings on ebay. Do a search for "Alebrije" or "Oaxaca Wood Carving" and you will get some hits. Oaxaca is the region in Mexico where these are made, and they are all hand carved and painted. They come in many different animal shapes and they are very beautiful.

To keep on topic to the thread, I would love to see a Oaxacan-inspired coin, either this one or another coin as the artistry and detail in these carvings is just beautiful.

Edited by tadpole379

It's fascinating to me to read through this thread from top to bottom and watch how a fairly simple sketch evolves into a beautiful coin design with so much collaborative feedback from the geocoiners' community. The artwork looks great and I can't wait to see the enamel colours. Terrific job everyone, especially Ble68!