1ST Post -I cache with a Garmin 200W.

Hello, I am from central Iowa and love my Nuvi 200W. Even though it is an automobile unit I have had success finding caches with it. So far I only have 2 DNFs out of 22 hunts. I will go back for one of them. The other was in a location that wasn't fun to go to in the first place. I have also used an Etrex Legend and like the bearing pointer.

Does anyone else cache with a Nuvi 200W? <-----(Love it).

Has anyone come up with a program or add-on that will make a bearing pointer or course deviation indicator be available using the Nuvi? It would be nice.

Thanks,

Kenton

Hello, I am from central Iowa and love my Nuvi 200W. Even though it is an automobile unit I have had success finding caches with it. So far I only have 2 DNFs out of 22 hunts. I will go back for one of them. The other was in a location that wasn't fun to go to in the first place. I have also used an Etrex Legend and like the bearing pointer.

Does anyone else cache with a Nuvi 200W? <-----(Love it).

Has anyone come up with a program or add-on that will make a bearing pointer or course deviation indicator be available using the Nuvi? It would be nice.

Thanks,

Kenton

I have a Etrex Vista Hcx and Nuvi 250W, I've done a ton of off road nav w/ the Etrex but for geocaching the Nuvi will get you close enough to GZ to make the find with a pointer and if there is any question the sat screen wil seal the deal.

Here is a good solution for paperless caching for the Nuvi if you haven't found it already.

Check here for some pointers to download. They are stored in the garmin/vehicle folder on the Nuvi. You can change the vehicle on the map settings page, there should already be a pointer there.

I just purchased a Nuvi 200W and we did our first 2 caches today and we had a great time. Is there any downloads or programs that can make it more accurate? I want to be able to zoom in closer to see the icon to the location of the cache. Is there a program that I can put on my Nuvi that will give an arrow and distance to the cache?

I also tried downloading some different icons to maybe assist in making it easier to find the caches, I saved the files in the Vehicle folder, but when I go to change the vehicle to one of the new icons, the Nuvi freezes and I have to shut off with the power button. What am I doing wrong?

jjreds, Thanks for the links. How do I access the sat screen? Is that the overhead view?

Will any of those pointers rotate 180 degrees if you pass the waypoint or do they just show the direction of travel like the stock ones? If I go to the favorites page the arrow will rotate as long as I keep moving fast enough. That is what I want on the moving map page.

I just purchased a Nuvi 200W and we did our first 2 caches today and we had a great time. Is there any downloads or programs that can make it more accurate? I want to be able to zoom in closer to see the icon to the location of the cache. Is there a program that I can put on my Nuvi that will give an arrow and distance to the cache?

When you're navigating press the green bar at the top of the map that gives you turn by turn. Then press the "show map" button. This should allow you to see the cache location and zoom in enough to make it easier.

We went hunting with our 260 for the first time this weekend. Although we quickly realized why we got the Legend first.

jjreds, Thanks for the links. How do I access the sat screen? Is that the overhead view?

Will any of those pointers rotate 180 degrees if you pass the waypoint or do they just show the direction of travel like the stock ones? If I go to the favorites page the arrow will rotate as long as I keep moving fast enough. That is what I want on the moving map page.

To et to the satellite page go to the main menu then click and hold the signal strength indicator for a few seconds then release and it will get you to that screen.

The pointers rotate but they don't act like the compass on an Etrex. They only show direction of travel. Once you get used to it you should be able to walk right to GZ, have to keep moving. If you turn routing on "go", in "off road" nav it draws a line from your start pt straight to GZ. As you move another line is drawn from your current position. By comparing your position to the original line you can tell if you should be moving right ot left.

I also tried downloading some different icons to maybe assist in making it easier to find the caches, I saved the files in the Vehicle folder, but when I go to change the vehicle to one of the new icons, the Nuvi freezes and I have to shut off with the power button. What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you goto max zoom and use one of the small pointers, either the vehicle file is corrupt or you may be low on memory - you can delete voices and vehicles you will never use to gain some room.

jjreds, thanks for the information. I have been using the off road mode with good success. I have noticed that making sure that not swinging my arms as I walk seems to help it navigate by not adding unnecessary motion to its calculation.

The sat screen is really nice. I like how it gives me the current accuracy of the device. Thanks again.

I have also pressed and held the battery indicator for about six seconds and have found several pages that I don't fully understand. A lot of it is technical and beyond my experience. I poked around a little but don't see these as being of much practical use.

My daughter was holding the unit and got it to a page that showed information about the internal memory allocation and a lot of other things. I am not sure how she did it and I can't get back to the page. She can't tell me how she did it because she is 3 and can't read yet. :D Do you know how to access it.

Kenton