TOPO doesn't like waypoint names!?

It asks me to rename all my waypoints including:

1) Ones I make up in TOPO and re-import (originals deleted in TOPO)

2) Ones I name in Garmin, even simple ones like Falls

3) Or defaults like 001, 002

At least it doesn't ask me to rename the points in my tracks, but it imports my non-saved tracks, even if all I did was turn on the unit , I will have to figure out how to delete just those tracks first.

Mapsource is fine with all my names.

All the names in TOPO start with three Y's with dots on top.

I was unable to duplicate your problem. I have TOPO on my Vista HCx. I put it in TOPO mode and created a waypoint no different than when in non-TOPO mode. Same thing with TOPO software. If you try to duplicate names, it'll tell you so, but I've never seen three "y"s, much less three dots.

Which version of TOPO do you have?

My only suggestion is to reinstall the TOPO software.

I was unable to duplicate your problem. I have TOPO on my Vista HCx. I put it in TOPO mode and created a waypoint no different than when in non-TOPO mode. Same thing with TOPO software. If you try to duplicate names, it'll tell you so, but I've never seen three "y"s, much less three dots.

Which version of TOPO do you have?

My only suggestion is to reinstall the TOPO software.

I have version 4.2.8.

What do you mean by TOPO on my Vista HCx I have the Garmin 100k maps is that what u mean? What is TOPO mode, if it is no different I guess it does not matter? Yes I was referring to the TOP (National Geofraphic) software. The Garmin MapSource does not have this problem.

What do you mean by TOPO on my Vista HCx I have the Garmin 100k maps is that what u mean?

I believe that Chuy! was referring to the Map page on the Vista.

Naturally we assumed you meant Garmin Topo 3.01 or Topo 2008 when you said "Ones I name in Garmin, even simple ones like Falls". Unfortunately I don't have any National Geographic Topo maps so I can't give you an absolute answer, but it appears that there is a translation issue between how National Geographic Topo names waypoints and Garmin. It may just be a setting like smart names GSAK.

Yep, I thought we were talking about MapSource Topo. But, I asked just to be sure. When you have multiple maps in the handheld Garmins (dash models too I suppose), you can only view one at a time.

I also have National Geographic TOPO, but it's an earlier version. Since my version don't support USB input (or I don't know how to set it up), I only use TOPO to view the terrain. I use GSAK to integrate the waypoints, but I can't download waypoints created in TOPO to my GPS unless I use a serial connection (my monochrome Vista, e.g.).

Yep, I thought we were talking about MapSource Topo. But, I asked just to be sure. When you have multiple maps in the handheld Garmins (dash models too I suppose), you can only view one at a time.

I also have National Geographic TOPO, but it's an earlier version. Since my version don't support USB input (or I don't know how to set it up), I only use TOPO to view the terrain. I use GSAK to integrate the waypoints, but I can't download waypoints created in TOPO to my GPS unless I use a serial connection (my monochrome Vista, e.g.).

OK, sorry for the confusion. I almost put in National Geographic, which still has a website TOPO.com, but I am used to referring to it as just TOPO or trails illustrated. I forget now which part was bought out by NG , paper maps , software and what the name was up till then.

I will call them tomorrow to see if they know why I have this problem. (I will let you know what I find out)

I think u can update your TOPO for like $15 so it can upload and download via USB. I have a new version for Portland area, but old versions for Washington State and National Parks. I need to ask them how to update them since they are in different directories. The maps are more detailed so I would rather a waypoint or route show up on their. I did notice a change in the coordinates though even though I used the current Datum between the Garmin and NG Topo and I think the unchanged one was a better fix on my position on the NG Topo.

In TOPO! use the Handhelds/Change GPS Settings menu item.

In the dialog box, choose Receiver Type.

Set Make: Garmin. Model: (None of the Above) if you have a Colorado.

Add the Characters you want to the list, the default is all CAPS, -, +, and space.

Change the Max Size of Waypoint Name, I think the default was 10, I made it 50.

Ken Z

OK, dayhiker9, here's your answer to your problem. First I'm using NG TOPO! version 4.2.8, which was updated to this when I purchased the 3-D upgrade that brings your version up to 4.x. I think my original was 2.7 or something when I first got it several years ago. The 3-D was about $20 for me a couple of years ago. I strongly suggest getting that as it gives many other improvements one being USB capability. It works with any TOPO! map set by the way.

I'm not sure which version you have but go to View/Preferences and Settings/GPS/Receiver Type/Garmin/VistaCX. If you don't see your unit pick another Garmin type. You'll see a box for "Max Size of Waypoint Name", enter a larger number than the default "6". My Map60Cx can have 14 characters, maybe your HCx is the same.

Now if your waypoint names don't exceed this max number you assigned they will load perfectly. If it finds a stray one with too many characters it will prompt you to rename it or accept the default name. Try this and I think it will get you going. Hope this helps!

OK, I had Garmin etrek, and changed it to Garmin vista Cx (I have HCx), not sure that was an option before I Upgraded from 4.?.? to 4.2.8.

I tried name length of 15 before that, but that did not fix it. When I choose vista Cx it reset it back to 10, and my change to 50 did not take, so it did complain but only about one Name, and I was able to read what it was Survey Marker. That one loads now with a longer length.

I just bought Portland Weekender, 4.?.? . I had Washington 2.?.? as well so I bought the 4 Upgrade, which after almost as much hassle updated the Wa version, and then let me import the Weekender , NG (TOPO) told me to do the reverse, but that did not work.

Anyway everything is working now.

Thanks.