60csx that sinking feeling

Has anyone dropped a 60csx in water at all? I'm toying with either a 60 or 76csx but this is the only issue I'm not sure on, I know the 76 floats but how slowly does the 60 sink and does different battery choice make a difference? I have dropped my etrex vista in a river before but managed to catch it before it got too deep.

I will be using partly for marine use but prefer the look and feel of the 60csx, yes I realy am that shallow :)

I have the 60cs and that was droped in a shallow river about 12" deep when it was new.......but it did float and it was recovered quickly so never had a chance to sink.

The unit is running on rechargeable batterys.

Edited by Richie_EB4
I have the 60cs and that was droped in a shallow river about 12" deep when it was new.......but it did float and it was recovered quickly so never had a chance to sink.

The unit is running on rechargeable batterys.

I didn't think the 60CSx floated so in the interests of science (and because I'm a bit stupid) I've just filled a bucket up with water, made sure all the rubber plugs on the back of my 60CSx were properly in place and dropped it in..... It sank like a stone!!! I'm using non-rechargeable alkaline batteries but judging by the speed it hit the bottom, I don't think that makes any difference.

Conclusion..... Don't drop it in any water where you can't reach the bottom :)

Cheers guys, especially Pharisee for his bravery(or stupidity), maybe I should go for the 76 then, shame as it doesn't look as rugged as the 60, either that or rely on a lanyard.

Maybe it'd be lighter with less info on the memory card :)

I wear mine on a lanyard... I just wondered, maybe when you were at sea - could you not add something buoyant to the lanyard as well? Like those floating keyrings? just in case....

And now for some no help at all advice - - - :)

About 3 weeks ago I saw a device on a clip of Dragons Den - no idea if it was a repeat as I don't usually watch the programme. Basically, it was like a small cylinder attached to a key ring (quite unobtrusive really and definitely a lot smaller than those float thingeys). The bloke attached it to a 1 kg (I think) weight and then dropped it into water. When it got wet, a balloon inflated inside it and it lifted the weight. I think it was for use of yachts, boats and the like for keys......but it could work with a 60Csx. The guy got all the funds he was after........

No idea what it was called etc...............but it looked good.

Edited by Nick & Ali

About 3 weeks ago I saw a device on a clip of Dragons Den - no idea if it was a repeat as I don't usually watch the programme. Basically, it was like a small cylinder attached to a key ring (quite unobtrusive really and definitely a lot smaller than those float thingeys). The bloke attached it to a 1 kg (I think) weight and then dropped it into water. When it got wet, a balloon inflated inside it and it lifted the weight. I think it was for use of yachts, boats and the like for keys......but it could work with a 60Csx. The guy got all the funds he was after........

Found it......It's called a Waterbuoy. Looks like the sold out on the official site.

(OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS :D:) - Just to say, I have absolutely no connection what so ever with the BBC, the Waterbuoy Company, Dragons Dens or any other Dragon dwelling for that matter!)

They're in stock at Firebox.com for the princely sum of £11.95. That's a hellava lot cheaper than a new 60CSx.

Edited by Pharisee

(OOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS :rolleyes::D - Just to say, I have absolutely no connection what so ever with the BBC, the Waterbuoy Company, Dragons Dens or any other Dragon dwelling for that matter!)

Yup, I have a WaterBuoy on my 60csx for when Kayaking. So far it's not needed to inflate and neither has it inflated in error, despite getting a few splashes on it.

Cheers,

J